Ypsilanti, MI

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Perfect Course, and soon to be added DG Putt-Putt

2-4    8/10/2017   8/10/2017
Review By: JerrodStevens
Pros: -Clean Park
-Great Teepads and DGA Holes
-Great variety of shots
-Lots of elevation
-DISC GOLF PUTT-PUTT will be added soon
-Awesome Waterpark in the park
-Multiple Tees
-Good mix of long and short holes
-Clear signage directing you to the next hole
-Even though the brush appears thick, it is actually not so and it is very hard to lose a disc
Cons: -$10 fee per car to enter the park
Other Thoughts: MAJOR NEWS: Wow! When I played this course last year, I thought that it could not get any better... and then when I go this year, I see that they are adding a DISC GOLF PUTT-PUTT course. It is not finished yet, as of 8/10/17. It will play through the woods, to the right of the practice hole. Tee's and signage are set up, and stakes are set up where the holes will be. The 18th hole has it's pin set up already, and it is a beautiful ORANGE DGA hole, which is even nicer than the holes at the normal course. The holes will be on average about 35 feet long, and it will be great for a warmup before playing a real round of disc golf.

All in all, this course is the best I have ever played. It gives the feel of some of the courses that you see the Pros playing in Major Tournaments. I truly enjoyed this round.

Tough Wooded Course

- Practice basket
- Benches at many holes
- Alternate concrete Tee pads on almost all holes
- Lots of elevation
- Course stays relatively cool on hotter days
- A lot of other nice amenities in the park for you to enjoy that also don't interfere with the course
- Wooded shots are fair even if challenging
- brooms by tee pads
- friendly people

Cons: - Not a great course for beginners
- I found a few spots tricky to navigate or find the alternate pads
- Not a lot of variation in hole length
- I found myself using the same few discs on this course
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the few rounds I played here. It is VERY hilly and the elevation is used well in the hole design. For the most part a very positive experience. I was initially confused about where to park and where the course started but once I got on the course it was straight forward.

This course is pretty much entirely wooded. There are "open" holes that are lined by trees and brush on each side but are relatively wide (30-40 ft) and clear of trees. The rest of the holes have much tighter wooded fairways (10-20 ft) that also have trees in the middle of them forcing you to throw well controlled shots.

Picture Perfect

1    6/15/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: Venom93corba
Pros: -Advanced course
-Extremely well taken care of
-The brush was never so thick that you couldn't retrieve your disk.
-Most holes had 2 tee boxes
-Had a variety of terrain
-Waterpark on site for kids
-Tee boxes were easy to navigate for a 1st timer
Cons: -$10 fee per car
-Most holes were extremely tight, I would have liked one or two long ranged holes that opened up.
-Would have liked a hole map at Tee box rather then guessing at basket placement.
Other Thoughts: This course is by far the nicest and most challenging course I have ever played. Definitely over my skill level (+15) but I had a blast playing it. With the Waterpark next door it has something for the whole family. This is how a course should be maintained. Then again I dislike paying $10 per car but you get what you pay for. We'll done guys!

One of the top courses I've played

2-4    11/19/2016   3/3/2017
Review By: jmherman
Pros: Course is well maintained with lots of activities in the park. I like that there is trash cans at every tee and a broom to brush off the concrete pads. Plus, it's nice to have the benches to sit down for a few. I like the hole variety. Not a humdrum course for sure. Easy to navigate. signs everywhere letting you know what hole you were playing and the direction to the next hole. Great baskets. This course is laid out very well.

Cons: just nit picking but maybe more information on the hole #s.

1    4/15/2016   4/16/2016
Review By: torihanus
Pros: 1.) Course is located in the middle of a county park in the metro Detroit area. One can play a round or two of disc golf, go mountain biking, go to the park's water park, etc. I particularly like this, because I can do more than one of my favorite outdoor activities in one setting.

2.) An extremely well-maintained course! I have only been playing for a year, but this is by far the most well-maintained course I have played. Trash cans at almost every hole, brooms at every tee pad to dust off any dirt, grass cut, stumps/benches to sit at while you wait, etc.

3.) Elevation varies throughout the course. Course varies from uphills, downhills, dogleg lefts and rights. Each hole presented itself with a new challenge, but not too difficult where it would deter players from coming back.

4.) Course was easy to navigate, especially since it was my boyfriend's and my first time there. "Next Tee" signs were at every hole. We didn't have to use a map.

5.) Tee pads were concrete, and there were pro tee pads at a majority of the holes.

6.) Baskets were double-chained. Always a bonus in my book!

7.) Designers used the land given extremely well and to its advantage, especially when trees came into play. This is my own opinion, but I also liked how if I shanked a disc into the woods, it was relatively easy to find my disc, and I was able to get out of the brush with some ease. Another thing I liked about the design was that you were able to see or at least know when the hole was open for you to play at most of them (if this makes any sense).

8.) A putting basket was placed before you entered the course.
Cons: 1.) Signage only had hole number, an arrow pointing to what direction the basket was, and how many feet away you are. Although the course was so well-maintained that you could guess where the basket was, it would have been nice to have a simple guide so you knew where you were throwing. In addition, I would have also liked to know the par number for my own reference. This was the only thing that stopped it from getting a five in my book.

2.) Terrain was about the same throughout the entire course. Course description says that half the holes were open and half were wooded. I would have to disagree with that. I think that the entire course was wooded in some form or another. I don't think there were really any "open" holes. This isn't necessarily a con in my book; I do enjoy wooded holes. However, I was given the impression that half were actually open.

Awesome course!

2-4    4/8/2016   4/8/2016
Review By: the1discChallenge
Pros: -Dual pads on most holes.
-BIG variety of shots. Forehands, hyzers, dead straight, flex, rollers, overhands. Definitely will appeal to all play styles and test your shot selection.
-Lots of elevation to make for some really interesting holes. A couple are just either straight up or straight down, but there are a lot of slanted fairways to really make you think about shot selection.
-Easy to navigate, no problems getting around the course
-brooms available to sweep off the tee pads on every hole. It wasn't a huge problem today, but in the summer when it gets dusty, that is a huge plus
-very well kept. The tees were in good shape, not a lot of garbage around, nicely mowed grass. Rolling Hills is an awesome park to begin with.
Cons: -maybe just a con for me, but there aren't any bomb holes. On longs, there are longer shots, but not any more open "let-it-rip" kind of shots
-All of the holes are par 3 drive and putt kind of shots. I would love to see more placement shots, but I think this comes with a longer course
Other Thoughts: The park itself is really great, with multiple running paths, a water park, and other really great activities. I live in about a 20-30min ring of many amazing courses, and this is one of my favorites. If you're in the area, you definitely have to play this course!

Fun and easy going

1    4/2/2016   4/8/2016
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course that winds through the wooded area of Rolling Hills park. The park also has many other activities, including a dog park and water park.

Nice big concrete tee pads. Most holes had two sets. Very nice and grippy. Really no complaints here, from a guy that doesn't have the longest runup. I played the long tees, which were pretty fun for an Int player. Looking at the short tees, I'd imagine they'd be enjoyable for more beginning players.

Nice Chainstar baskets, all in good repair and caught well. No problems here.

Excellent hilly terrain in play for most of the round. You'll throw a LOT of your shots up or down a hill. There is also hardly a wide open shot on the course. Only a few are extremely tight, but you'll be punished if you're too far off line.

Decent mix of distances, although there's certainly nothing here that you would consider a bomber hole. It's pretty much technical golf all the way. Lots of deuce opportunities if you're throwing 'em straight that day.

Basic tee signs, but they gave the info you needed. Navigation was relatively easy, with plenty of well worn paths and next tee signs.
Cons: This place seemed like a busy spot, and for good reason.

While there was a lot of fun holes, it did feel like the course was VERY lefty-centric. I know it wasn't the case, but it felt like nearly every hole was some sort of lefty or RHFH shot, or dead straight. Don't get me wrong, I like throwing straight shots, but a touch more variety would go a long way here.

One pin position per hole was kind of a bummer. At least a few holes would greatly benefit in the replay factor department by some extra positions, and there seemed to be plenty of room to do it.
Other Thoughts: This is just a plain out fun spin, especially as a traveling player. If I lived in the area, I don't know that I'd play it a ton with some of the other options nearby. With that said, this is a course that should be accessible to a large variety of skill levels.

Definitely worth a spin if you're in Ypsilanti!

Yipsi Entertaining Course

1    7/5/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: gtshaw5
Pros: Tricky hook shots going up and down large hills. You definitely earn your birdies on this course from the long tees.
Cons: Lots of grassy areas make it hard to find discs. Very busy on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of litter for a pay to play course.

This place is a freakin' blast!!

1    3/31/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- course plays through a portion of a large "metro-type" park. Many other amenities dot the landscape. a bike riding/access trail winds through the course so be on the look out. you do not throw over the trail (IIRC) but it's close to in play.

Teepads-- Excellent. large, level and in phenomenal repair. As has been said in other review, there are huge drop offs after the teepad that could really ruin your follow through.

Routing/nav-- super easy. we never ever felt like we could possibly get lost. plenty of next tee signs made it super easy.

Baskets-- Discraft in excellent repair with orange reflective tape on the necks.

Multiple teepads-- huge plus here. there are so many unique looks here that the multiple teepads help to accentuate.

elevation!!!!-- huge use of elevation here. huge plus in every single manner. It is rediculously refreshing to have this much elevation change on a course in this area.

Course amenities-- plenty of places to sit and rest between holes. it's a bit funny, you can tell which tee people throw from as they are the ones with the seats near them :)
Cons:
Teesigns-- accurate length description and an arrow pointing you where the fairway is but a map of the hole would be most excellent. a lot of scouting is needed on this course to find the pins.

Variety/Challenge-- it seems that a lot of the SE Michigan courses are left hand/forehand friendly with right fades... this is no exception. the holes (even the longs) are not that challenging. I think I ended +1 on my first round through.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course was a blast. Very refreshing. I totally should have played this course by now.

Really Nice

1    8/11/2013   1/21/2014
Review By: timbur3
Pros: - Had multiple tee pads
- Pretty easy to navigate
- Had a lot of elevation change
- Lots of technical drives through woods and small fairways
- Need a lot of different shots to be successful
- Not always one clear way to play the hole
Cons: - One or two spots you might get lost
- Some blind shots
- Not always two tee pads
Other Thoughts: You have to pay to get into the park per car. Just ask at the desk where it is in the park. It gets a decent amount of traffic on it. Very nice overall and would play again if in the area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4