Hilton Head Island, SC

Share URL:

A course in name alone

2-4    12/30/2016   1/3/2017
Review By: numbernine
Pros: Greetings and salutations Disc Golfers! Today, we'll talk about what is DEFINITELY the worst disc golf course I've ever played. Ever. Like...EVER . I hope you get the idea, and I hope that I can bring a smile to your face with this review...unlike how I felt when I played this "course".

- It is a course. That is true. the existence of a "course" is not in dispute. So that can be a Pro. Though, it does say "Pros" off to the left there, and I apologize for not being able to come up with another pro to get the plural going here. I am afraid that one single "Pro" is all that I can manage at this time.
Cons: I'm not even sure where to start honestly. The "Cons" are so numerous, that everything just sort of swirls around in my mind like an enormous garbage island, where someone has slapped down 9 baskets and said "yeah, that's fine". IT ISN'T!

- More than 1 person should not be playing this course at the same time. Literally, the entire course sits on like 4 acres of land, bordered by a creek and a parking lot on all sides. If two people were playing the course at the same time on different "holes", someone would be murdered with a disc.
- There is a map online to play this course. You would think that would be a pro, but it isn't. Because why? because first off, the course is LITERALLY unplayable without the map downloaded or printed off. There are a couple of signs and what not, but most of them are busted up and NONE of them tell you what direction to go. (straight to hell if I don't change my ways, according to the bible verses on most of the signs still left intact.). Most of he baskets are numbered...if you can read them...but who wants to journey across two acres to read a number on a basket, and then guess where to throw from?
- there are no tee pads. there are 4x4s in the ground that are slicker than 1920's traveling salesman with a quota to fill. But not all of the holes have these terrible landmarks. Most of them are just slick, sorry dirt spots off to the side of an open field.
- the baskets are there, but some of them are in bad shape. I guess this could have been neutral, but when everything else is so abysmally bad, I guess that the "OK" stuff starts to look not as good. Truthfully, there were baskets not even cemented into the ground. Like, hole 9 was literally a basket on a pole, leaning against a brick thing. I mean...what? Why? How even.
Other Thoughts: This course could be best fixed with a bulldozer and a flame thrower. Pull the baskets and create a modern art masterpiece out of them for all I care. But I am quite literally shocked at how terrible this place is . It's not new, so that is no excuse either. This was someone that said "yeah man, let's put a course in behind the church. that'll be amazing", and then forgot that they had put the baskets in the ground,

The upside is that this is DEFINITELY the worst course that I have ever played. My hope is that Hilton Head island comes off of their pocket book and installs a good course somewhere. It's an island resort for Odin's sake. Can't someone pry out some money and install a course worth throwing at?

Don't bother with this course

1    7/24/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: Hawth35
Pros: Being on church property gives you a feeling of safety.
Cons: It's to small and not marked well enough to figure out.
I spent more time trying to find the baskets and tees than i did throwing.
Other Thoughts: A basic map would make this course passable.
But the area is to small for it to ever be better than a 1.5 course.

Needs alot of work

1    8/3/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: Billy K2
This review was updated on 9/11/2014
Pros: Um... Baskets.?
Cons: Where do I begin?
No sinage, just made up holes
.Very small park
1 basket equals 2 holes
Creek impossable to retrieve discs from
Playground,pavillion, and ball field in play
Wasps EVERYWHERE
Some tee signs missing or damaged
Muddy when wet
Trees down
Crossing fairways on almost every hole
Terrible design
Lost disc
Other Thoughts: I spent more time looking for tees and baskets than playing. If the course isn't redesigned than the baskets should be put to better use. Sorry boy scouts but this course was a waste of my time

Criteria

Overall Grade: 0.5/5

Hover round

1    2/20/2007   5/31/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros: *Baskets. Nice Mach Vs
*Scorecard. Available online.
Cons: -Navigation! Unbelievably confusing and frustrating to find the tees and which baskets to shoot for. There was no map, and it was impossible to figure it out without a guide! I couldn't even find 3 tees, and gave up in great frustration after wasting lots of time looking for them.
-Safety issues. If other people are there, then there is lots of danger to them since you throw over a volleyball court, a ball field, and a playground.
-Beauty. A few holes tee from a parking lot, and there are power poles, and all of the other recreational facilities all crammed in.
-Length variety is low. Lengths: 2<199/ 13 of 200-299/ 3 of 315-354
-There are different scorecards with different pars for various skill levels, but I don't think this is a good idea. There should only be one par for the intended skill level of the course.
-It's nice of the church to open their course to the public, but the times available to play are limited.
-Totally flat. There is not 1 ft of elevation change on any hole.
Other Thoughts: Course Level = White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925) The course is short.

You be the judge-
~9 baskets with 2 sets of tees.
~This is on the smallest piece of land that I've ever seen for a course. It seems to be about 1 acre including a ball field, a volleyball court, a playground, and a parking lot.
~Please be respectful of the church property.

It's nice to have a disc golf course in the golf mecca of Hilton Head, but I was disappointed and very frustrated by the navigation problems. Don't go out of your way to play this course, and don't even try to play without a guide.

You can also read more of my reviews at the DG Course Reviews Yahoo Group, DG Course Reviews