Seattle, WA
Lakewood King County Park Share
Uploaded By: Nic_Farley83 Hole #2 (Taken 7/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them all and there you have....Lakewood Park.

1    4/1/2017   5/31/2017
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course fit snugly into Lakewood King park. The park also has other amenities, including baseball diamonds, tennis courts, etc.

Concrete tees for each hole, on per hole. They're sized up just fine and are grippy enough. Several of them are showing age, though.

DGA baskets, all mounted well enough and in good repair. One pin position per hole. Pin placement was pretty solid for most of the course, with several rollaway opportunities, along with tucked pins that force you to get creative on drives/upshots.

Nice use of elevation, which is on display through most of the park. This was probably the most pleasant surprise here, as most city park type courses don't generally support this feature. Lots of up, downs, and arounds.

While there isn't a TON of trees in your way, there are plenty to keep you honest. Definitely not a ton of what I'd call "tight lanes", but you're not going to be tossing hyzer after hyzer, either.

Nice distance variation, with holes ranging from 215-630'. You'll get opportunities to throw many different discs. The hole designs are solid and enjoyable for the most part.

The fellas at the onsite disc shop were a joy to talk to. You can tell they love their courses and were more than happy to help. Lost a disc in the pond because of the jerk tree on hole 1? No problem, they've got a great disc retriever to help out (trust me, you don't wanna go in that water). Some discs for sale, a lost and found, etc. Nice to have.
Cons: So I generally rate/review courses through the eye of a traveling player...and with that in mind, the navigation here is an f'ing nightmare. No signage. None. No distinguishing featurues on the tees. Zero. Zilch. Even with a map handy, traversing this course is close to impossible. I was fortunate enough to latch onto a local, or there is no possible way I would have figured this course out.

To add to the confusion of this navigational nightmare, many players play "tournament layouts" or "old layouts"...which basically means you've got people bopping in and out of the traditional design. There were times it felt like a college frat party at midnight, with all the kids bouncing around with no seeming intention other than sticking something in a hole. Oh Seattle, why do you hate signage so much?

Some definite safety hazards, with walking paths and baseball diamonds directly within throwing paths. While these would be great OB obstacles during a tournament, they're pretty treacherous during casual play on a busy weekend day...and this park is busy.

Other Thoughts: This is a very enjoyable course if you know your way around and play it early in the day. A good number of fun shots and scoring opportunities, especially once you get a handle on a few of the lines.

This can also be a very un-enjoyable course if you show up and have no clue of the flow (even with a map, it would be rough) and people are playing ten different layouts.

Put some navigational tools in this place, and it automatically bumps up .5 for me. Definitely worth a spin, just be prepared to be slightly frustrated.

Popular Neighborhood Park

1    4/27/2017   5/1/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- free course
- free ample parking, although basket one may be a little close to the lot
- friendly knowledgable pro shop on location with a great inventory, great course information hub
- lots of elevation variations throughout the course
- updated map on course scorecards located in pro shop
- big wide open fairways are well suited for all skill level
- tee pads are flush with the ground, easy to run up from any direction
- a few ace runs
- a few holes use extra distance to create difficulty
- benches/seating areas were quite accommodating.
Cons:

- no tee signs
- lacks multiple tees per hole
- poor directional signage between holes
- obstacle free fairways
- too many non disc golfing park enthusiasts walking throughout the course
- a couple pins were in close proximity to the paved pedestrian path, baseball fields

Lakewood DGC of King County is a hilly public park that primarily uses changes in elevation and variations of distance to create most of it's difficulty. The forgiving obstacle free fairways are beginner friendly, but have enough distance to entice bigger arms. It's nice to play a course that can keep my interest and at the same have fairways forgiving enough to not chase my wife away. Initially, we had a hard time with navigation until we decide pop in to the pro shop. They did a great job squaring us away.

Being a public neighborhood park, it can get crowded with park patrons and players alike. Some holes bordered a paved walking path, other ran along the edges of two baseball fields. Neither are a great look from a safety standpoint. I had to navigate around moms pushing strollers on the first half, then canoodling teenagers on or around most of the second half of the course. This didn't exactly come as a surprise, when you show up at 3 on a week day. Still, it took a little enjoyment out of my round having to wait for people.

Overall, I think this is a great beginner to intermediate course. Players can hone in their skills without fear of losing a disc or being batted down by branch filled fairways. The trade off is that the fairways are a little bland, even if there's ascending and descending fairways.

Every City Public Park Course Designer Should Play This Course

1    3/29/2017   4/1/2017
Review By: Treeplant
Pros: - Best-designed public park course I've ever played in terms of creating challenging holes while minimizing the impact/interference of other park goers. You'll still need to wait in spots when the park is busy no doubt, but really a masterful job of utilizing the space without bringing the public into danger. Still need to be careful, but so much better than a lot of city courses in parks.

- Surprisingly good distanced holes that offers the chance to open up on a few drives. Nice mix of forehand and backhand shots.

- Really liked the concrete tee pads, interesting design and long enough for a good run up, plus they brushed them for traction.

- Not a lot of places to lose discs on this course, other than in the water. Pretty open understory in the wooded areas.

- Decent bit of elevation to the course, makes for some enjoyable tee offs.

- Chainbangers has a disc golf shop in the park there, as an out-of-town visitor it's great having a local resource like the owner of chainbangers to chat with. Found a couple of good used discs there and got some good info about the Seattle DG scene and what courses to check out.
Cons: - Hole signage is pretty much non-existent. Take a picture of the course map at the beginning of the round.

- Even with the course map, can still get a little confusing on the back half of the course.

- It was pretty busy when we were there early (2pm) on a weekday afternoon. Shop owner said it's almost a problem for playing how busy the park is getting with disc golfers at times.

- As good of a job as they've done designing the course, it still is a fairly well utilized public course and there are spots where you need to be careful because of the length.
Other Thoughts: - Not a lot of easy ace runs. Rec/Novice players might find this course a little too challenging for them. Nice challenge for an Intermediate player, however. Not a cake walk by any stretch.

- This course wasn't on our original list, we were just trying to find the Chainbangers shop, but we're sure glad we found it. Anyone designing a city course in a public park should check out how the course designer here has utilized space. Kudos!

Take me back!

2-4    10/1/2016   10/2/2016
Review By: kidtree
Pros: Beautiful setting, great variety of elevation shots, wide open fields and tight trees, left and right bends and straightaways, the perfect practice putting green, a pro shop with a great selection of discs and a pro behind the counter. A basket of lost-and-found discs, too.
Cons: While the baskets are all numbered, I think, none of the tee pads are, and the map under the "Links/Files" tab here is seriously outdated. There is an up-to-date map sign at the parking lot, though. If you have a smartphone, take a photo of that for reference. Today was my 3rd consecutive weekend playing there, and I still had to pull out the phone once to verify my next tee. Two fairways are tight up against baseball diamonds. It's embarrassing to drop a disc into the outfield during a game.
Other Thoughts: I live over an hour north of Seattle, but drove down three consecutive weekends to play here. I hope to be back next weekend. So many of the courses around here are mostly flat, but this one forces you to consider how throwing down or up will affect the curve of your flight. Even the practice putting green is on a slope, the 3 baskets forming a triangle, so you can practice those tricky upward and downward putts. (I bought 4 matching soft putters here to tune up that part of my game.)
NOTE ABOUT THE PARK NAME: While there is still at least one small, blue sign on SW 108th St, pointing down 10th Ave SW, toward "Lakewood Park," Google Maps and my Waze navigation app both call it "Lakewood Disc Golf Club." To add to the confusion, when you reach the park entrance, you'll find an official sign reading "Thurnau Memorial Park." You're not lost, this is the place.

May 2016

1    5/21/2016   7/11/2016
Review By: mwd907
Pros: Great course. Play very early on a Sunday (afraid of crowds). Using the map made following the course fairly easy, although we did throw at the wrong basket on a few holes. Friendly locals pointed us in the right direction a few times.

Really like the rock benches and tee pads.
Cons: None, experienced other than getting turned around on the last few holes.

awesomeness!

5+    4/13/2014   3/13/2016
Review By: EverettSilvertips
Pros: variety of everything! up, down, trees, open, water, mandos, and many more! it is awesome!

great teepads everywhere and i liked how the "fake" rock sits by the teepads, so we can sit or put down our bag on it instead of standing or bending down.

most important boost rate of this course is a pro shop!!!! you can't miss it! it is right next to bathroom, food stand, kids playground, and practice baskets.
Cons: this park often have crowds. there are middle school nearby, you would see cross country teams running around, or kids being bad, dog walkers, etc.
Other Thoughts: pro shop! check. it. out.

Great Course for an out of towner!

1    8/22/2015   9/4/2015
Review By: mceskri
Pros: Challenging course, with lots of different types of holes, so I had to utilize all my discs and tons of different shots.

Pro shop was clutch! I dropped my keys by the first hole, and a nice person brought them to the shop for me. Tells you a lot about the kinds friendly people playing the course.
Cons: A bit crowded when we went. We got stuck behind a family playing with 5 year olds and it took a while for them to let us pass. It opened up after that.

The course was dry due to the drought, but still playable.

Only some of the baskets gave directions to the next tee, so we found ourselves getting lost from time to time. I guess there's a map online, so if you can find that, some other users said it's helpful.
Other Thoughts: My girlfriend and I were visiting from Illinois, and boy this was an awesome course to play, coming from the Great Plains/ Midwest. Hills and forests?! We have some in the Chicagoland area, but nothing as exciting as this course. We loved the design and wanted to play the course twice.

great all around course

1    6/24/2015   6/28/2015
Review By: rosdj
Pros: This is a really fun course. I really enjoyed the elevation changes and the mix of hole lengths. The basket placements were all great, and the tees were up there with the best I've ever played on. I played this course visiting some friends in Seattle and would love to come back and play it again.
Cons: The only con I have, and it's a rather large one, is the difficulty of navigating the course. I don't think I could have made it through without the map in the uDisc app. I believe I only saw one or two tee signs and none of the tees themselves were marked as to what hole they were. Some of the baskets were also mis-numbered causing even more confusion.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the course navigation deter you from playing here. Do a little research first by getting a course map, or use uDisc to find the tees. It's a great course.

Pleasant Surprise

1    3/24/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: rmcnulty85
Pros: - Big map and foldable maps to take with you through the course
- First hole is a short shot over the water
- The tee pads are all concrete, and most holes have benches that resemble natural stone
- Next tee signs on almost all holes, and the course plays naturally in most cases
- Great use of space, with a variety of length, as well as variation in uphill/downhill
- Tight and technical at spots
- The back nine and extra two shots really opened up for more distance
- Course Pro Shop on site
- Two practice putting baskets
- I asked for help on finding a basket here and there, and the people on the course were super friendly and glad to assist
- Rough is virtually non existent, and you should have no problem finding your discs
Cons: - There were a couple creeper homeless looking guys, one of which picked up my disc, but I barked at him and it was all good from there
- I think it is 13,14,15, you have to walk back down the fairway to get to the next tee pad
- One of the holes on the back nine played downhill, and was probably a 400 foot shot, which was beautiful.....except it played over RF on the baseball field next to the course. I talked to one of the guys on the course, he said it normally isn't an issue, and they move it to the short behind RF fence when in season. I took the backdoor....but after looking at my pictures, I wish I threw it over RF, because it is a gorgeous shot, especially throwing from the tabletop up on the hill.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while visiting Seattle, so I had no clue of what to expect. I really loved the vibe of the place. It was such a great time playing. The tees and benches just blend in as part of the natural setting.

Also while I was there one of the locals playing in a small group got an ace on the front nine. His name was Rex, just giving him a shout out here! Definitely play this course if you are in the area, I know I loved it.

A Walk in the Park

5+    1/26/2015   1/28/2015
Review By: shawnc65
Pros: A great deal of thought has gone into the design of this course. It should be fun, interesting and challenging for all abilities. Few holes are outside a pro's distance. As an intermediate player there are half-a-dozen ace possibilities. The crew mixes the hole placements on a regular basis and usually keep the course toughness about the same from round to round...if they give you an easy shot with the placement on hole four, it's likely they've made #1 more difficult, etc. Through most of the year there is a minimum of underbrush so lost discs are a rarity. Nearly all tees have a place to sit and rest before your drive. There is plenty elevation change. Hole 20 is as picturesque from the tee as you could hope to find in the city.
Cons: There are often numerous park users outside of disc golfers and you might have to wait here and there for someone to clear a path that's a little close to a basket or fairway. While usually not too crowded there are often enough discers around to give a heads up when needed and the course has now been there long enough anyone from the area knows to keep their eyes open.
Other Thoughts: The high-end difficulty at this course is not among the leaders in the area it's a great course for beginners though a hole or two would benefit from alternate tees to help accommodate those. It is also a very good compliment to the always difficult Sea-Tac in close proximity. They would make a worthy day-trip. The ups and downs for holes 9 through 13 are physically challenging as well as mentally and help make this course excellent exercise.

< Prev 1 2 3 4