Denison, TX
Munson Park Share
Uploaded By: HB553 Hole #10 (Taken 12/2011)

Well done

2-4    3/1/2021   3/10/2021
Review By: flatflip
Pros: Well kept,
Well laid out, good flow.
Two separate 9-hole loops give some flexibility for time commitment.
A lot of stock shots that need good execution; a few risk/reward opportunities.
Par is kinda soft for upper level players.
Cons: I could see erosion being a problem if this course was any more heavily trafficked.
Par is kinda soft for upper level players.
Other Thoughts: Great course. Everyone can see the shots that should be made, but not everyone can hit the lines reliably. A really good player would probably shred this layout. Par is set soft enough that a middling am doesn't walk off the track feeling abused, but most of the par 4s would be cupcakes for elite competition. Can see this course getting stretched out in the future.

This course isn't super heavily used (comparing to the better courses in DFW), which is good -- there are several holes on this course that are so enticing that you just want to empty your bag on them.

All in all, a super fair course. I wish it was about an hour closer to me. I plan on an extra half day to play this gem anytime I am headed this direction.

Excellent Course!

1    3/17/2018   3/19/2018
Review By: MadGame32
This review was updated on 6/10/2020
Pros: -Very clean
-Playground for kids
-Bathrooms on site
-Excellent tee boxes
-Detailed tee signs
-Good challenge, but nothing was stupid hard
-No two holes were alike
-Fair to "lefties" and "righties"
-Nice map on welcome sign
-Layout is done well enough that no mandos were needed.
Cons: -You have to walk a little from 9 to 10, and hole 11 is not an obvious walk from 10. But, use the map and it is fine.
Other Thoughts: I played this course for the first time on Saturday, and it is now my favorite course.

There is a little difficulty navigating trees and terrain, but nothing is super hard.

I think the long holes were challenging but fair.

Some of the greens were elevated with a very nice rock wall around them. (#8 was fantastic!)

I am getting ready to go play 2 of the 2017 top 10 courses according to DGCR next week, and this course made me even more excited. I cannot wait to see if the top ten courses are truelly better than this one. I find it hard to imagine being better than what Munson has to offer. This is truelly a great place to play.

Update: I played Selah Ranch this weekend. i liked this course more.

This is currently ranked #1 out of 52 courses I have played.

6/10/20 Update:
Out of the 64 courses I have reviewed, this is where this course ranks along with similarly rated courses:
Rank-Course, Location

1    10/10/2016   10/10/2016
Review By: Scotchtape77
Pros: - Easy to read tee box signs
- Concrete pads
- Easy to see yellow baskets
- Good map at parking lot
- Practice basket
- Quiet Park
- Really beautiful holes
Cons: - None
Other Thoughts: Lots of elevation. Bring good shoes or hiking boots.

Wow, just wow

1    2/21/2016   2/21/2016
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Course map at the parking lot
Cement tee pads on every hole
Tee signs on every hole with map and distance
A very wide variety of shots needed on this course

Cons: (this is being picky)

Tee boxes need to be longer
Some longish walks between holes
A few holes don't have defined fairways.
Other Thoughts: I had not read any of the reviews of this course before I drove up from Carrollton today. I had heard this was a good course and I was not disappointed. Several 2 shot holes for this old man. Up and down the hills (my back is killing me right now)

Very well designed course in my opinion. There is always room for improvement, but the course did flow well and most of the holes had defined fairways.

Oh, the cool 1900 Victorian estate next to hole 1 is for sell, only $700K.

What Every Public Course Should Be!

1    9/5/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: CloudKoF
Pros: +Clean/Well maintained Park. Nice scenic views and terrain w a cool estate nearby is nice eye candy on early holes.
+Concrete tee boxes and hole information top notch.
+Course layout is really good. Flows well.
+Fun elevation, obstacles, and lines to throw throughout entire course.
+Challenges you to be versatile player. Power, skill, accuracy, and creativity are put to the test.
+I really enjoyed the verticality and versatility of this course
+ # 3 with it downhill, #5 & #7 with it's OB line and up/down, #8 with the stone hill, #12 with the stone hill/obstacles/road view, were the most memorable.
Cons: -Main information board is very helpful, but with my memory I couldn't remember where the tee boxes for #10 & #11 were. They are a little out of way compared to others. I pulled up the map from the phone and the hole #'s are illegible. I eventually figured it out, but would have been nice to see it on the phone. Note:The tee box info may have said the direction of the next tee box, but i didn't notice.
-Scorecard holder was gone.
Other Thoughts: +By far one of the top courses I've played. Just not a whole lot of negatives to say about it. Great course and highly recommend a drive up.
+Met a friendly local/regular as I was finishing. Said most people play after 9 am.

Challenging Course

1    4/19/2014   4/19/2014
Review By: Carter
Pros: This course is in a good looking and well maintained park. It is also clean. The use of elevation makes for a fun round. Excellent chains and teepads. The layout of the holes flows well. Roads serve as OB on many holes adding some difficulty to a forgiving course. Most trees are spread out enough to make for clean lines to the basket.
Cons: The main downside in my opinion is that there is a lack of distinct "golf" lines from many of the tees, sometimes requiring accurate drives to landing zones in order to set up for an up and down to the basket. Generally, this isn't a bad quality, but it gets redundant and makes you feel handcuffed a little. There are some dead trees that are slated for removal that have drooped into the ceilings of the fairways closing off lines a bit.
Other Thoughts: Pars can be easy to come by even playing all holes as 3's rather than what is marked on the signs, but there are very few birdie opportunities, so bogies are hard to come back from.

Overall, this is a challenging course that is laid out very well. The low ceilings mixed with elevation make for tough drives and a unique course. The closest comparison would be Turner Park in Grand Prairie.

1    9/6/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: kbeardo
Pros: Excellent use of terrain.
concrete platforms are a plus.
Cons: could use some benches and trash cans.
their is space to have multiple platforms and holes.
Other Thoughts: the date isn't right when I played, fyi.
I really like this the course.
I go here a lot.

1    5/10/2013   5/11/2013
Review By: gnduke
Pros: Good use of terrain, Good variety of drive directions in relation to the wind. Good variety of optimal shot types, Fairly tight windows on most holes for the "perfect" line.
Cons: could use benches somewhere. Old guys need to rest after some of those climbs.
could use small retaining walls around many of the nice concrete tee pads to level off the approach and follow through a bit.
Other Thoughts: A very demanding course that rewards good shots without overly penalizing the ones that miss by a few inches. Well worth a day trip from DFW.

could be better

5+    2/23/2013   2/26/2013
Review By: donut777
Pros: Great Tee Boxes, not to short not to long. Big baskets for less exp. players :) 5 blocks from home :)
Other Thoughts: dont know why it is so highly rated.. must be an inside job.would be a top notch course if the had alt. basket placement and tee pads. There is enough room to make an entire 18 hole course just north on the same property. and could have had some water hazards added in there.. just saying pour planing H.B.clark.......

Top of my list!

1    8/9/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Jbot49506
Pros: The course is quite new, the equipment is in great condition. There is great elevation change on the course! There are also some very long holes that really allow you to air it out! The holes were very well laid out too.
Cons: If you play when it is warm out you must bring lots of water! It was 102 out when I showed up, I am from Michigan so this was a bit of a shock to my system. I do not know if I would really say this is a negative though. If you are not in good condition the hills here along with warmer temperatures might be a bit too much.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, its the longest course I have played to date. Even though I am just learning, I felt like the course was challenging yet l made birdies and got par on almost every hole unless I had a wild shot into some tree branches. I was also starting to play right as a local was starting to play right as I was. He was quick to introduce himself and ask me if I wanted to join him. I was able to play with a couple of other locals on the back 9 that were happy to help me out with a few tips on my technique and with shot placement. I really recommend playing this course!