Geneva, IL
The Links at Wheeler Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #2 (Taken 8/2011)

Share URL:

About the House Score Cards

5+    5/18/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: egerdes
Pros: They offer free score cards at an entrance booth.
Cons: It would be nice if the scorecards had the course design printed on them because the course keeps changing its layout. The score cards (unless they've been corrected in the interim) show hole 16 as a 3 and the course as par 66. The hole is actually a 4 (and is marked so at the hole), and the course is a par 67. Also, because the course design keeps changing, it is too easy to go to the wrong hole, especially when it used to be the right one. Clearer marking would be helpful.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course, overall. If I were in charge, I'd space the holes farther apart on the front nine so they don't crisscross so much, and then I'd put in some permanent tees, preferably concrete or rubber tire compound.

Geneva

5+    11/11/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: kevdiv48
This review was updated on 12/3/2012
Pros: Variety of shot types- you can easily throw hyzers, annys, rollers, thumbers and tomahawks all in a single round here.
Nice baskets, very new and catch well
Pretty good signage, the posts have number, distance and a basic map of the hole
Little chance of losing a disc
Nice setting
Beginner and family friendly
Practice basket
Many holes are short enough for ace runs
Cons: Lack of concrete teepads
Counter intuitive walks between holes
No hole over 355'
Can interfere with other park activities
Lack of pro/alternate teepads
Other Thoughts: Geneva is your type suburban DGC in a nice public park. There have actually been a handful of changes since the course was first installed in July of 2011. The initial gravel/limestone teepads now have rubbers mats on tops, which have actually stood up well and work well as long as the weather is mostly dry. Some landscaping has been done, especially on 12 where there initially was a super thick patch of bushes you were expected to throw through. A few holes have been lengthened to make them more challenging. The course seems somewhat subpar considering what a nice plot of land it is. A few tweaks here and there would really improve this course. All negatives considered, this is a course I can play time and time again and still enjoy it.

the links

5+    9/28/2012   10/3/2012
Review By: booradly
This review was updated on 3/3/2015
Pros: -course is in a very nice park
- course maps and score cards are available at the mini golf concession stand
- has many chances for making a challenging shot
-a few good mature trees that make you plan your shots out bit not so many that you get frustrated
-has one or two good chances to ace
-has several holes that you can let your arm lose
-almost no chance of losing a disc
-solid signs around the course that make it easy to know where the baskets are and tape on the baskets that point you to the next tee pad
Cons: - im not a fan of the rubber tee pads they have here a few are sunken down on the right side from getting so much use
- the park can get crowded some times both on the course and people using the walking paths
the far east side of the course is very close to a busy road
-this course gets super muddy around the tees/pins and then the mud gets all over the rubber pads making them almost very slick and borderline dangerous.

- i was there one afternoon a few weeks ago and right around hole 9 or so high school track practice started and i almost took out groups of runners who did not seem to know there was a disc golf course there
- its a solid play for how close it is to my house

The links @ Wheeler Park

2-4    9/8/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
This review was updated on 1/1/2013
Pros: -Lots of trees (That dont like disc golfers) that play into each hole well. Not a whole lot of wide open shots here.
-Rubber pads that are in pretty good shape
-Good utilization of the terrain in regard to basket and teepad placement. Most holes have enough obstacles in and around the fairways to make things interesting.
-There is a pretty high demand for a wide variety of shots here. Lots of spots where a good straight shot will get you to the basket but there are also a lot of holes that require a good hyzer or anhyzer to get you to the basket.
Cons: -Navigation! The first time I played here I played the first two then found myself on hole 16, as time went on I found myself confused and wondering where to walk to next.
-Few spots where fairways or walkways are a little to close for my likings, Everytime I've been here there has been a group of wild-armed players in the group behind or in front me and I could see the potential for someone to get blasted by a wild flying disc
-Few too many holes packed into this relatively small property
-Alternate teepads, Or lack thereof. There are a few holes that I think could easily have an extra pad added onto it.
-Par ratings, I mean I could understand a par 4 on a massively long hole, But this course lacks just that.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, its a fun play as an alternative to my home course (kress creek farms) but I don't feel overly challenged when I play here. I really feel that if they were to omit a couple holes here, they could make this course into a really good 12 hole course.

If you live within 20 or so minutes away, it's worth the drive. I would say this is one of the better courses around as far as distance from my house is concerned.

Nice Park and 18 Holes

1    7/8/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
Pros: Located in a nice old park among other activities.

Had some nice holes, I really liked the steep downhill shot on hole 12.

Moderately wooded throughout with a mix of moderately long holes (~300') to short ace runs (~125').

Baskets were good and I think signs were being added. Tees were okay.
Cons: Course was pretty short. Was able to drive and putt on every hole.

Not much punishment for bad drives.

Holes can be close together and some are near other park users.

Navigation was an issue. I think we parked in the wrong parking lot and started at 15 or something. We were fortunate to follow and see where other groups went so we found all the holes.
Other Thoughts: This was a nice course to play and is beginner friendly. I would recommend a play through at least once as it offers a decent 18 hole course in the area. Improvements can be made to this course though.

1    7/28/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: Overall this is a solid 18 hole course set up in a well maintained city park. The course gives a good mix of open shots with protected pin placements and the added surprise of some elevation changes. Although it is not overly challenging the course offers a variety distances and obstacles that make it fun for begginners and still fun for more experienced players. . . I mean birdies are fun right?

I am assuming that the course has been recently re-designed because all the tees were marked with distances.

The course is clearly well maintained and well used by the local disc golfers. Although there were other park users in the area, for the most part they did not come into play.
Cons: As a new course with a lot of potential it seems like it is still a work in progress. I don't have any major complaints about the course other than it is relatively short. Experienced players may find this a bit easy, most holes you are looking at a birdie putt, or an easy drop in 3. Navigation might be tricky if you don't have a map the first time, but with the map it's pretty easy.
Other Thoughts: Thank you to folks that got this course up and running. The area needs a solid 18 course and I think this has the potential to be something special. The easiest fix in my mind is to start adding alternate pin placements. It seems like there is room in a few places to throw in 1 or 2 400 footers just to mix it up.

I haven't been in the Chicago area for a year and a half and I am so happy to see 2 new 18 hole courses near my old home. If I still lived here I would be spending most of my time at this course, I really want to give it a better rating, but it's just not there yet.

Fun Course

1    7/28/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: verbalis
Pros: Variety of terrains and some fun obstructions. Pads seemed in good shape and the posts had informative 'mini-maps' that made identifying the hole easier for first timers. Also, for mobile phone users, a map is available on the Geneva Park District Website: http://www.genevaparks.org/fa...isc_golf.html
Cons: The course was a little tight with two holes very near each other. A couple of times we had to double-check which hole we were shooting for. On one of the holes (15 I think), the post had been pulled, but we just replaced it and propped it up.
Other Thoughts: For a relative novice (I've only played a few different courses), this course had some really fun holes and was a great time. We played on a Saturday morning, started around 7:30am and there were only a handful of other players on the course. It didn't seem overly crowded.

Homecourse love

5+    7/20/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: infinategem
This review was updated on 1/29/2013
Pros: Requires many throws. Beautiful park with good use of trees, yet plays open so novice players dont get crushed (there is room for arrency). Maps and facilities available.
Cons: Tricky layout, it could have been easier to navigate. Packed with novice players especially on weekends! lots of foot traffic like dog walkers and runners.
Other Thoughts: Small to medium course length. Lots of lines available to throw, but doesnt crush your score if you miss them. Worth a stop! And within thirty minutes you can reach five 18 holers,

Better Than Most

1    7/11/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: magoo2x
Pros: Beautiful well maintained park with a good mix of shots required. Nothing is too long (165' to 350') making this very beginner friendly. There is a good mix of type of shots with forced hyzer and anhyzer routes combined with some low ceilings. There are facilities at the north and south end of the park with vending machines too.
Cons: The layout is confusing, there are yellow markers on the previous basket to the next tee pad which help immensely, but from basket 3 to tee 4 is a long walk and I didn't even notice the tee box til I finished hole 5. Also you have another long walk past tee 7 to go from 12 to 13. The course also plays over a pedestrian trail a few times creating a safety risk. Even though there are enough obstacles to the baskets, there is no punishment for errant/bad shots and eveything is an easy 3.
Other Thoughts: All in all it is better than most Chicagoland courses (except for everything in Joliet obviously) and is 18 holes instead of most the 9's you find. I enjoyed my round but wasn't challenged enough. Definitely would recommend it and check out Campton Hills while in the area, its super close.

Confusing with potential

1    6/3/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: Chicagolandlefty
Pros: This is a pretty course with a few unique shots.

There are a few holes with elevation and a few more with decently challenging and fun angles for drives. A couple drives force you to shoot around a corner and a few others involve hills.

Some of the pin locations are cleverly buried within a grouping of trees or shrubs to make for challenging entry and putting lines (I even unintentionally skipped an approach shot into one of these for a memorable deuce).
Cons: Navigation! I think the course was in the middle of a minor redesign because there were tees to nowhere and a lack of signs all over in the first several holes. The course played differently than some of the reviews below and there were incorrect numbers on some of the tees in the beginning. My group was constantly wandering for the correct tee and hole to shoot to on the first 6 or 7 holes.

We missed 11 and 12 because we didn't know where to go after 10. We went all over the place looking for it, but eventually gave up when we found 13. This goes back to the dreadful course design. There's a course map on the way to the first tee and we all agreed it made no sense and was going to be tough to navigate from looking at it.

Some of the tee pads were unusable and we played from the grass on a few holes because of fear of injury.
Other Thoughts: Basically all my complaints stem from the awful course design. Even simple renumbering of the holes and better signage would be enough.

That said, if that got improved this course would become a very enjoyable 18. The varied shots and challenging (at times) pin locations made it fun once we knew where we were going, but the overall take away was how hard it was to figure out where to go.

There is definitely good potential here with minor tweaking and sign improvement.