Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #2A (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #2A Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Flip

2-4    5/25/2013   4/28/2017
Review By: TeebirdDan
Pros: ofcourse this place is the stuff of legend ,and it lives up to it well ,still only 3 bucks to play because Bill is old school cool like most west Michigan discgolf people i have met . the layout is sweet with beautiful rolling hills threwout the course .really a great place to be ,it just feels good there.there is onsight camping too!
Cons: bugs can get a little nuts out there but whatever
Other Thoughts: every true discgolfer needs to make the trip atleast once.Events there are special .

1    9/19/2014   9/25/2014
Review By: waterhyzerd
This review was updated on 9/22/2017
Pros: Not crowded
Adequate teepads
Length AND ace runs
Elevation
Challenging off-camber basket placements
Nice fairways
Rock Formations
Cons: Somewhat remote location, but I think that is also a good thing as it cuts down on player traffic.
Other Thoughts: We were able to mob golf (I know, cardinal sin of DG) with a group of eight players on a late Friday afternoon and only had to let two normal sized groups pass. There was really nobody else on the course; mind you we were fully prepared to split up the group if it was necessary.
After about hole four or so, it felt like we were playing on a fairy tale landscape that reminded us of the Lord of the Rings. Very few flat fairways and the greens around the basket were very sloped and fast.

1    8/11/2014   9/21/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/30/2014
Pros: -makes great use of the land and elevation
-lots of fun holes, ace runs, deuce opportunities
-well sized concrete tee pads
-easy navigation
-benches, trash cans, periodic shelters from the sun or rain
-aesthetically excellent: rolling hills, rock art, woods
-pay to play, only a dollar! it's a steal
-great atmosphere, cool vibes, rustic charm
Cons: -no water
-tee signs are only small numbered signs, but the baskets are mostly visible from the tee and distances are on the scorecards, but...
-sometimes the scorecards are unavailable
-mostly straight shots, few forced lines other than low ceilings, only 1 right-turning hole
-mostly shorter holes, only a few chances to really open up on drives, only 2 real multi-drive holes (2A and 16) out of 24
Other Thoughts: There is literally nothing to say about Flip City that hasn't been said already. The property is magical and the course is tons of fun, one of the most fun I've played anywhere. The scenic beauty and cool atmosphere of this place sets a great tone for your round. Even playing in the rain at 6:00am, I was excited the whole time.

The course makes really effective use of the hills and elevation. There are tee shots going downhill (6, 8, 1A, 13, 18), across the valley (7, 11, 12), and uphill (5, 10, 17). The holes range from relatively open with some trees in play to fairly wooded. Tree lines define the fairways and frequently frame the tee, basket, or both. The course plays fairly short excepting holes 2, 2A, 15, and 16. Most pins can be reached from the tee and only 2A and 16 are legitimate 2-drive holes. Most tee shots are straight with room to play BH or FH, with few forced lines, and only one right-turning hole.

The short holes are fun but for me they made the course feel almost one-dimensional. This combined with the slow start to the course (the first 3 or 4 are typical) made me feel underwhelmed overall with what is one of the most talked about courses and a long time #1 rated course. Of course, I'm also splitting hairs here because as I said before, I had a blast playing my entire round in the rain. And the small touches all over the property from the rock piles to the shelters and benches to the cool spots like the meadow of green 5A and the view from tees 1A/12 all add to the great experience of Flip City.

Probably the best par 3 course you will play. A true destination course that should be on every disc golfer's bucket list. Amazing that it is all the vision and hard work of one man, thanks Bill!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

A Gift from Nature and it's Curator

1    8/26/2014   8/26/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: The pros of this course are almost too many to list, but I'll do my best not to miss any.

Flip City is off of a dirt road in Shelby, MI, not near anything much that I could decifer.

You pull up, and there is a small house and a barn and a boat... Yes a boat, the USS Flip City(a small sailboat) that is up on stilts and used as a flagpole.

I'm immediately I'm immediately intrigued; first class disc golf and eccentricities? I'm all in.

There is a small parking lot and you walk over to the pay slot( an upturned mailbox with a slit cut in and put in your $1(seriously, just one dollar) and grab a scorecard and map from another mailbox just beside it.

Numbers one and two are good warmups over well manicured land(Bill was cutting the grass as I played there, but luckily stopped briefly so that I could say hello).

It quickly escalated into a more technical course that can bring great reward or great frustration depending on how your bad hops or lucky bounces go.

It's heavily wooded throughout and has a ton of these little rock sculptures throughout. Some are huge in moveable cairns that are intentionally placed, others are small and built by players.

Of the latter, of you knock one over you must repair it and build one of your own.

I didn't knock any down but built a few more, becuase it's fun and what better thing could you do while waiting for someone to throw?

The course is widely varied between short technical holes like #3 or #17 and some big open bombs like #2A which was among my favorites.

There is a great amount of thought behind every hole, and great long teepads. With a runoff area at the end so that you never step in those pesky end of pad puddles.

I love the trees; the course is flush with great old growth hardwoods, manicured pines and all manner of amazing foliage.

It's also a big enough course that even though I wasn't alone out there it felt like it at times, and you could really connect with the course and your game. It's actually not massive at about 35 acres but you feel miles away from the nearest player even of they are 100 ft away.

The fairways are mostly very gaurded and give very little runoff from errant throws on neighboring holes.

There are plenty of port o johns and shelters and at least one sitting area by every hole.
It's truely a pleasure and one of the jewels of the sport.
Cons: Threre are very few, I feel bad about putting anything here.

If they are out of maps(like they were when I played) it's hard to navigate some holes, hole layouts by the tee would be cool to have.

There is only one layout per hole...again on an epic 24 hole course this is nitpicking, but I'd love to see what Bill could come up with.
Other Thoughts: Bill said some people have been after him to add some water holes, I disagree, one; why mess with an amazing legendary course? Two; mosquitoes you guys. There were very few when I played, unlike every other MI course this summer.(they all had water)

This is a must play that I get to check off my wishlist, it was as good as advertised and I understand all the love it has been given now.

I can only give it a 4.5 becuase you can't do a 4.75 on here and I think that comparied to the gold standard in my book(Rollin Ridge) there are fewer amenities and modern touches. Not that that is a bad thing really, the rustic nature of the property is quite charming.

Play this course, if your a local treat it well.

And put more than $1 in the mailbox.

Oh, the serenity...

2-4    8/17/2014   8/25/2014
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Wonderful 24 hole course, out in the middle of nowhere, set on some of the best land you could imagine for discing. Truly pristine.

2 tee areas on each hole. Longs are nice, grippy concrete, with a foul line and runover area. Really nice, and plenty long/wide enough. The shorts are natural and signified by two rocks. We didn't see anybody playing the shorts the entire weekend.

Good baskets, all in good repair, and very level. They all caught well. No issues here. One pin position for each hole.

Elevation EVERYWHERE. Outside of a few holes, elevation played a big part in nearly every shot, and in a good way. Well thought out and never seemed to be gimmicky. The terrain also seemed to block out a lot of wind, which to me, is a huge positive.

Great use of the obstacles here. Trees forced certain lines or served as pin guardians. Well designed in every way. The risk/reward on many holes is fantastic. There were a few lines I hit that I felt as if I'd just won the Super Bowl.

Superb mix of distances. Several holes under 200', but even those were tricky, technical shots that required great touch and sometimes, a bit of luck. Bombers in the 400's, a 650' hole 2 that goes from clearing to trees...really all you could hope for in one course. There really isn't a throwaway hole on the entire course....which is quite a feat over 24 holes.

The manicuring here is beyond awesome. Fairways are perfectly framed (and perfectly generous) and lines are mowed into the taller prairie grass, which makes finding discs much easier. Flip City is scenic as you could want.

Navigation was a breeze, with many next tee signs helping the cause, and a very intuitive layout.
Cons: Not much to list here.

Some of the rough is ROUGH. If you're off the fairway in the wrong spots, you'll come out worse for the wear, to be sure.

No water. No biggie, but worth mentioning.

Only one set of real tee pads, and one pin position. While the golf is phenomenal, it would definitely be cool to see multiple pin positions.

No tee signs to speak of. Just a post in the ground with the hole number. If you don't grab the scorecard at the beginning, you won't know distances, outside of eyeballing. It kind of boggled my mind that there weren't great signs here, especially with all the other hole to hole amenities (benches/shelters/etc).
Other Thoughts: Flip City is truly a destination. You can camp onsite ($10 night/person), and only $1 a round, which is dirt cheap. The camping is rough (no showers or other amenities), and you'll want to be fully stocked on supplies, unless you want to drive 15 mins to restock.

From scenery, to serenity, Flip City is all you can imagine. I had an absolute blast playing here. Group rounds are fun as hell, and the solo round I snuck in was equally rewarding. Make sure to thank Bill for all his work...this place is certainly a labor of love. From the rock sculptures to the rolling hills to the golf club feel of the fairways, he has truly built something great.

I know I'm going to get many thumbs down for rating Flip City a 4.5, but it's less of an indictment of what Flip is than of what other courses are, as it relates to the current run of new courses and their amenities (Rollin' Ridge sticks out as the gold standard for me). The golf is as good as anywhere I've been. It just lacks the amenities of some other modern courses.

With that said, this is definitely a destination, especially with Beauty/Beast/Goliath/Leviathan (among others) in the immediate area. I actually thought I'd be let down coming here, but it was quite the opposite. I now "get it" when it comes to Flip City...now get there so you too, can "get it"!!!

A "must play"

1    6/12/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: Scott Van Dyke
Pros: Lots of picturesque holes for your camera.
Lots of length.
Fairways groomed.
Quiet surroundings.
Scenery. Lots to sit and look at.
24 holes that are nicely "linked" together!
Good people to run into all over this course.
Not too busy.
Great elevation changes.
Easy to navigate.
Lots of places to sit and take a break.
Cons: This course is remote. Western MI is a beautiful place to roam around in, and this course takes full advantage of the area. Some folks like water hazzards. This course doesn't appear to have any, but for me personally, I don't consider that a "con".
Other Thoughts: What all the others have said. My GPS led me directly to this place as one small dirt road led to an even smaller dirt road. A "mixed" sense of isolation and comfortable security filled me when I drove up to the property and saw the sign for "FLIP CITY". It's hard to describe, but there seems to be a lot of poverty in this part of the country. The dirt roads and dilapitated houses you pass on your way to this little gem contribute to the feeling of uneasiness one might have when one is far from one's hometown. When you reach Flip City however, the sprawling acres will make you feel at home again. Everywhere you look on this course, you will find dedication and attention to the detail of a disc golf course.

$1 to play per round is a steel. I placed a buck in the can and shot the 24 holes by myself at a liesurely pace. It probably took me a bit over 2 hours. I loved every minute of it, and I cannot wait for the chance to return. Bugs were not too bad, but I had spray. Lots of garbage cans, but I would encourage you to carry-in, carry-out. It's not that hard to do.

Once you finish hole 11, I encourage you to go to the top and follow to the right for holes 1A-6A. When done with 6A, you are right where you left off for hole 12. As mentioned, these holes are "linked" well.

The Bambino

2-4    8/25/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Flip City is the Babe Ruth of disc golf. It has been a legend for longer than anyone can remember, it used to be #1, it got passed by a few others, but it's still beloved more than any other.

And for good reason. Playing here was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The first several holes won't necessarily wow you, but after hole 4 it's all fun. Hole 5 is a steep uphill shot with the basket perched on a thin area with danger behind. Hole 6 gives a preview of the rest of the course: a downhill drive on a generous fairway.

After this many of the holes play up, down, over, and through the valleys that make up this guy's back yard (seriously, who gets to have a back yard like this?). These shots reminded me of a lot of the shots at Waterworks and Swope in Kansas City. Many of the baskets are on the hillside, which is always a plus for me. Get too aggressive and you'll be taking some bogeys or worse.

My favorite holes are 7, 10, and 11. Hole 7 is a gentle downhill drive that needs to get past some trees before a climb back up to a basket on top. Hole 10 is a steep uphill shot over a hump where your drive needs to land close or you have a very danger putt toward a cliff behind. Hole 11 shoots down that valley with the massive rock cairns in the midst of the fairway.

The care given to the fairways is exceptional. The fairways are perfectly mowed. The rough has paths cut out to help you look for your disc. At one point "FLIP CITY" is carved into the ground, in another point there is a giant basket mowed with dirt and grass. Ambitious and creative.

All of the holes are listed as par 3s on the scorecard, but a couple are really par 4s. Hole 2a (there are six holes between holes 11 and 12, and I'm guessing he didn't want to renumber the original ones when he put in these new ones) is 670 feet long through some undulating, lightly wooded terrain. Hole 3a is only 306 feet, but there is obvious path through the thick trees, and I think getting a 3 is more the result of luck than anything.

One of the best parts of the course for some reason is the mysterious rock cairns dotting some of the fairways and greens.

Apparently they were built by disc golfers and slowly built up. I like a course with a feature I haven't seen before, and it gives you a sense of the people who were here before you who love the course.

Navigation is pretty easy. The main tees are all concrete: old but adequate.
Cons: There are really very few technical holes. Hole 3a is the only truly technical hole, and it's not a great design (you really need to remove a tree or two). Generally the fairways leave a lot of room for error.

This is not an easy course, but I wouldn't say it was particularly challenging either. I don't mind having a configuration like this, but ideally you would like to have longer tee pads with more challenge. There is only one set of concrete tees, and the alternate tees are even shorter and are just rocks in the grass.
Other Thoughts: This was one of the tougher reviews to come up with a score for. In terms of fun, this is a 5.0 for sure. I can't say this was the best course I've played, but it was one of the most fun.

It is tough to deny that a few better players have come along since Babe Ruth. But when you want to read legendary tales of a larger-than-life figure, coming out of nowhere to change the game forever, you're not picking up books on those other guys. And when you want to show your friends a legendary course in the middle of nowhere, this will always be the sentimental favorite.

Sets the bar high

2-4    6/28/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: JBryant
Pros: This is some fantastic Michigan disc golf. From the secluded feel to the challenging holes, Flip City brings it. All the fairways had unique rock formations (mostly man made), that added to the aura that is Flip City. The fairways were well defined and the rough wasn't too punishing. It was cut in such as way that you were able to find your disc if your shot strayed. The flow and layout was great. I did not play 1A-6A due to time. I'm regretting it already. The holes here are challenging and diverse. They punish you if you lack accuracy and length. I did not fine them overly difficult from a technical standpoint.
Cons: There were markers for the holes but really no signs stating the footage and layout. You had to look at the score card (which was fine but an added step of going into your bag to look). The Am tees were marked with only rocks. These rocks were not clearly marked for every hole. My wife wanted to play from the Ams. It shouldn't be posted on the score card if you don't have it clearly marked in each fairway. This was my one real complaint.
Other Thoughts: Bring mosquio spray, plenty of water, a lunch, and your 'A' game. Sadly, I didn't get to play Flip City more.
This is in my top three courses I've played. We went on a weekday morning/afternoon and saw only a few other groups on the course (many of those were also from out of town). IT IS WORTH KICKIN' IN THE DOLLAR FOR ONE HECK OF A ROUND OF DISC GOLF.

Rock art

1    6/11/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: iblanchard
Pros: It was a very fun course to play. The thing that stuck out the most to me was the upkeep, especially the rough. I really appreciated how the rough cut into sections instead of one long stretch of rough. Normally I hate tall grass with a passion because of the time it takes to search for a disc, but by cutting the rough in sections I was able to find my disc much faster because I knew where to look.
-All through the course the rocks were stacked to give a cool affect.
-The layout was easy to follow.
-A good variety of holes including open, wooded, left, right, uphill, downhill, long, and short.
-Nice big concrete tee pads.
-Disc golf only property.
Cons: -Signage could be better on holes. There was just the hole number. I prefer maps for each hole, even if its a simple picture. I also would really like to see distance posted.
-Not clear where the shorter tee pads are. It is grass with maybe rocks stacked to mark where to start?
-Mosquitoes....
Other Thoughts: Of the 10 courses I played in Michigan, this was by far my favorite. Of the 125+ courses I played this is in my top 5. You get a different feel playing this course compared to other courses I have played. It is very secluded and peaceful. I gave it extra credit points on my rating based on the atmosphere. We went on a weekday afternoon and saw maybe 2 other groups on the course in the distance, but I can see how this place could be very busy on weekends. Normally I'm against paying to play disc golf, but I didn't mind throwing in a dollar for this one.

Best course I've played...

1    6/18/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: Chris Jane
Pros: This course is great. Very diverse hole layouts. From clear open tees that you can really drive from, to blind tees that need a little finesse.
The owner has been working on this course the entire time I've been alive and it shows. I only wish it was a little closer to home.
Cons: It's very hilly so be prepared to hike. Also, the tall grass is really thick and would be easy to lose discs in. Bring a friend to spot for you.

< Prev 1 2 3 4