Shelby, MI
Flip City Disc Golf Park Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #2A (Taken 9/2018)
Hole #2A Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23
Best so Far!

2-4    6/17/2019   6/17/2019
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: Flip City is a privately owned but open to the general public course located in western Michigan. Green fees are $5 all day and $3 after 3 P.M. Girls and kids play free. There's camping onsite and scorecards and maps in a box on the shed by hole 1. This is where the pay to play mailbox is located as well. There is ample parking and portable toilets by hole 1 and between 3A and 4A I believe.

Now onto the actual golf itself. This was my 350th course to play and the most enjoyable of all of them. I'd personally say that this course is more 4.75 than 4.5. I didn't give it a 5, though I wanted to, because I don't feel I can give any course a "best of the best" rating without playing every course or at least top courses out there. So 4.5 it is.This course has 24 holes that are all immaculately maintained. Better than most city or county parks I've played. The baskets are Mach V's of an older variety but they catch great and are all mounted level. There are concrete tee pads on every hole except one. This is on a shorter hole earlier in the round ( hole 7ish maybe). The flow of the course is very easy to follow, especially with the map. If there aren't maps available play holes 1 through 11, then after that you go up the hill behind 11 play 1A before 12. There are 6 lettered holes being 1A through 6A. 6A will take you back up the hill to the tee for 12. Flows smooth from there on out. There is a mixture of lengths here ranging from 172 feet on hole 17 up to 670 feet on hole 2A. There is a good mix of shots required here though it does definitely favor RHBH or LHFH but not completely. There is no water in play but there is abundant elevation throughout. There are epic downhill shots, across valley shots, challenging up hill holes and everything in between. The course is a workout. Plan on at least 2 hours for a twosome depending on your conditioning and speed of play. The rough on the course is very manageable as well. I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to lose a disc here without throwing an absolute shank of a shot.

And lastly, This course has been around for longer than I have. It has been lovingly cared for by one man in that time and it shows. With that being said don't come here expecting open bomb after bomb. This course was around before high speed drivers so of course there aren't a bunch of grip and rip holes. It's as peaceful and serene of a place you will find anywhere. An absolute gem of a course.
Cons: As mentioned before there are no tee signs, only a black and white painted 4x4 with a hole number on it. It would be nice to have a hole map on some holes but isn't really that big of a deal in my opinion. Apparently the course can get busy. It wasn't on a mid June Monday afternoon but is worth mentioning I guess. Not a con but worth noting that the course closes at 3:30 on Wednesdays for league. That's literally all I can think of and none of them were a big deal for me at all.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely a destination course. I've been waiting YEARS to play this and it didn't disappoint. In fact it was better than I had hoped it would be. If you're anywhere in the general vicinity make sure you stop in to play. You will not be disappointed. There are many other courses nearby to make for a excellent albeit exhausting day of disc golf. It's in my favorites now and arguably my all time favorite.

Flip City: A Globally Recognized Disc Golf Experience

1    6/16/2019   6/16/2019
Review By: DiscinOhio
Pros: Flip City is a backyard wonderland with gorgeous rolling hills, scenic woodlands, and a pretty sweet disc golf course. Bill, course designer and one man grounds crew, has put nearly 40 years of hard work into Flip to build it from a piece of property in Western Michigan to one of the world's highest rated courses. While I respect everyone who considers Flip to be one of the best courses on the planet, I'm not 100% sold on it being a top tier course. I'll get into the positives first.

+ Bill's backyard is beautiful, secluded, and peaceful. You'll be hard pressed to find a course as quiet as this one. There are also a few signature pavilions/shelters that add a unique touch to the course.

+ There are definitely some fun throws here, and some all-time great holes. The ones that really stand out for me are 7, 11, 1A, 2A, 12, and 18. That three hole stretch from 11 to 2A is really special, featuring beautiful views, crazy rock formations, and uber-fun downhill throws. You've gotta throw more than one disc on these holes!

+ For one person to keep up this course is incredible. The fairways were trimmed beautifully and I had no problems whatsoever finding any disc that drifted astray. Props to Bill for all his hard work and dedication!

+ $5 is a very reasonable price to play a course on every disc golfers bucket list. That $5 gets you all day access to the course, so you can play it several times if you'd like.

+ There's plenty of parking and a nice little kiosk by the first tee. There's a money box by the first tee as well, so make sure you pay the man!
Cons: - So I have to keep my criteria similar for all my reviews, and I'm not going to make an exception for Flip. The signage was poor, with only the numbers on little white posts in the ground. This makes it tricky to judge where the basket is at times, especially since they're hard to spot.

- Speaking of the baskets, they are grey and tough to spot, especially the ones in the woods. Combine that with the lack of tee signs and you'll often have to walk and squint to see where you're supposed to throw.

- Another big takeaway is most of the holes are straight and similar in distance. I found myself throwing the same discs off of the tee over and over again. Not much variety in hole shaping, which can lead to some dull moments once you get over the "awe factor" that Flip possesses.
Other Thoughts: So don't get the wrong vibe from this review. Flip City is a great course and a must play for any serious disc golfer just for the history alone. Maybe my expectations were too high coming into the round, as I just can't put it up there with some of the best courses I've played to date. The middle section is what you come for, but the rest of the course outside of that stretch is a little dull and repetitive. Again, Flip City is a must play and a very solid course, but I'm just not sure it should be ranked amongst the best of the best.

Destination Course : Sure To Be In Your Favorites

1    6/8/2019   6/12/2019
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: I had driven over 7 straight hours on my own just to be here first when the course opened at 7:30 . I pulled in at 7:20 and was beaten by 2 players that drove here from Lafayette Indiana .You can feel that the course is personable as soon as you park your car . There is no guard out on the grounds to shake you down for your $5 ( much like Milwaukee's city parks ) , just as honor box at the first tee . Nice little scorecards are next to the honor box .a port o let is to the right of the parking lot . You better print a map before hitting this course . While you stretch and check the surroundings , you will find how peaceful the area is . The property sits away from everything , leaving you with just nature and the course . This is a 24 hole course , each hole unique from the rest . Right and left handed holes balance . The baskets . Baskets are of the older mach styles ( I kind of like the yellow banded Discatchers for a course like this . I'll explain a little later ) but in good shape . The tee pads are cement and older but are in good condition . Signage is basic , just a number low and in front of the tee pad . The course fairways were cut perfect and the grounds well taken care of . The first few holes , a blind left bending shot 250' over an embankment ,a 500' straightaway drive and a slightly downhill 375' toss through a tight alley . Now the fun really begins . The elevation changes instantly . As you drive for #4 goes up part of a hill , you will notice little man made rock stacks , kind of like native american tribes made out west to mark pathways . These are all over the place . The landscape goes from nice to gorgeous . All of the natural rock formations , the different types of old and established trees come into view for the rest of the course . There is a lot of wildlife on this property , and I'm not just talking about the disc golfers that are allowed to camp on his grounds at night . The landscape of this course is the prettiest I have ever witnessed . There are benches at pretty much every hole . Some even have a top to them kind of making a hut .. A good plus because of the elevation change and playing 24 holes for some . The course length and clever basket placements will not overwhelm you . That is not what it was intended for . This course was put here for you to admire it and for IT to entertain you . I could enjoy it all spring summer and fall if I lived close by here ( closed for the winter season ) . I came up alone , but I added myself in with the 2 that beat me to the course ( Shout out to Zach and Joe , thanks ) . I wasn't sure that I ever saw the multiple tees that the course details on Disc Review , but So What ! You don't need alternate pin placement or pro tees for this course . ENJOY .A lot of variance for hole length , from 172' to 670' . You will have to control your drives and mid throws on this course . Some risk/reward on the basket placements with some dropoffs and hillsides to contend with . Lots of signature or memorable holes wrapped into one 24 hole course . The last hole is a steep downhill 195' hyzer through a tight formation of trees with a thick shorter tree and it's canopy guarding part of the front and right side of the basket along with the top of it . Should be an easy enough par as long as you clear the tight fairway . My signature hole would likely be #12 . A drive from a hill over a gully onto another hill that slopes to the left and a brushline to the right . The basket is elevated on top of a large tree stump . It will unnerve you , thinking that your missed putt may roll all the way down to the bottom of the hill .
Cons: There are a couple I have to add ( sorry , Bill ) #1 signage . . For a national class course , the signage lags . All it has is the tee # . Hard to spot looking for the right tee pad and throwing to blind shot baskets . #2 when I was there , the rough was out of control . I can live with it when I throw to lower elevation blind hole throws , but to spend a long time looking for a disc in knee high rough is frustrating . Bill cut out pathways in the rough , maybe in hopes that you land on one of the paths . Just a suggestion : maybe put orange or yellow flags on the baskets so the players can spot them easier . We had to walk up the fairway on a few occasions just to see where the basket was placed in the woods .
Other Thoughts: The few cons/suggestion does little to offset the fact that this is an incredible course .The most scenic . This may be the only course that , after I started playing it , I felt as though I belonged to it . hard to explain . By the time I was done , the parking lot was full of cars and you could hear some of the disc golfers on the course . I was able to meet the owner , Bill , after our round . He is a great guy . Keeps up with the game and knows a lot of the history . He sat at the sheltered picnic tables and all of talked for quite a while . I had put down 32 bucket list courses in order that I haven't played yet , and Flip City was #1 . Thanks , Bill for talking to us and giving us the privilege to play your course . My recommendation : This is a destination course . However you have to travel to come here , PLAY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks bill

1    4/26/2018   4/30/2018
Review By: blazerico
Pros: As many have said before me, the property is awesome. You almost can't go wrong. Put a basket in the ground anywhere and you have a good or potentially amazing hole.
Cons: I had to find a flaw and I'm going with signage. I'm really into knowing what hole I'm on and where I'm throwing without having to think about it too much. A good tee sign goes a long way, but even a mark on the teepad would help. Some holes were obvious, others were marked, but some I had to check the map to be sure. I only played one round and it will be different if I ever go back.
Other Thoughts: I wish I was there when leaves are on the trees, but it was still a beautiful place to play. I did, however, like blue gill a hair more

Paradise

1    8/9/2017   1/18/2018
Review By: Myke566
Pros: Variety, maintenance, secluded. This course really has it all. Awesome variation from hole to hole. Just an absolute treat to walk through and play.
Cons: Nothing. This course is honestly perfect. It's Michigan disc golf history.

Flippy

1    1/3/2018   1/3/2018
Review By: spinninglens
Pros: A person can get just as worn out as they want to get up and down the beautiful hills. Radical stone stacks. Worth the trip and probably work camping to let it all sink in.
Cons: Poison Ivy is not unique to this one.
Other Thoughts: Discs sometimes like to roll very far away.

Ultimate Archetype of a Northeastern US course

1    9/21/2017   9/26/2017
Review By: swatso
Pros:
After 521/39 courses/states played, I can say this is the prettiest course I've enjoyed.
Cons:
Hard-to-spot-for-a-first-time-visitor single, gray baskets.
Is this the most challenging course I've played? No - Iron Hill, Nockamixon, to name a couple, provide more of a challenge. Variety of elevation changes, combined with some fast greens and/or guarded baskets, are the primary challenges Flip offers. Shot-shaping, less so, as straight off the tee will serve you well on practically every hole. Distances vary quite a bit, too, with ~ ~200'-, ~ ~400'+, leaving ~ in-between.

However, I will say that Flip is the prettiest course I've played. Has pretty much every type hardwood tree found in North America, and some pines as well. The rich, green grass, prominent on the steady supply of rolling fairways, was well cut. Scattered groupings of gray stones added to the environment. Minimal undergrowth on the wooded holes with their major elevation changes. Even the squirrels and chipmunks seemed happier and healthier than your typical forest-dwelling rodents.

As mentioned earlier, some of the baskets were difficult to spot from a distance, but course navigation itself was fairly straightforward.

West coast of Michigan in general, Flip City in particular, was the ultimate goal of my recent 9=day/2200=mile roadtrip from Baltimore to Michigan, and it did not disappoint!

My New All Time Favorite!

1    8/24/2017   8/25/2017
This review was updated on 9/10/2017
Pros: Tonight I had the privilege to play in Flip City's Wednesday night league and was lucky enough to play in the same foursome with Bill. I don't know if there is anything else to say about Flip City has hasn't already been said. I also don't know if Flip is the best course I've ever played but I do know that it is my favorite course ever played.

I've delayed writing my review for two days so Flip City can be the 1000th review that I've written. Isn't that cool how that worked out?

Of the many criteria I look for in rating a course, I think beauty is maybe the # 1 thing I take into consideration and I think Bill is maybe the most beautiful man I've ever met. No, only kidding, Bill is a great guy and probably pretty cute, but it's the course that is awesome. Bill is just the painter here, this wonderful tract of land is his canvas. Flip City is just stunning. It seemed like every hole was a masterpiece. A panel of disc golf course experts couldn't have designed a more awe-inspiring course. Throwaway holes, nope! There were only a few early holes that I thought were "normal" OK, pedestrian and not just totally visually gems. A previous reviewer commented that most holes here would be considered Signature holes on other good courses and I totally agree. I mean this as a compliment but Flip has that golf course feel to it with these wonderful valleys and beautiful natural fairways. And then you add the ruggedness of the land and that gives Flip another dimension with cool rock formations, steep hillsides and rugged gorges. The huts and the stacked rock formations are nice additions plus the rocks give you an excellent reference point for your drive on some holes.

Frankly, I was surprised that the course wasn't more challenging. It's not incredibly long or incredibly tight. I found it to be a very comfortable, relaxing round. This is a course that I could play everyday. 24 holes here is a workout but not a killer like, say, any ski resort course.

Hole 12 is one to remember. It's probably about 260' over a gully. The raised basket backed sits on top of a big old stump. There is rough on the right side and the entire fairway slopes down to the left making most putts pretty intimidating. Putting from the left or downhill side, the basket looks to be about 15'.
Cons: I can be a bit nit picky here. The equipment is nothing special. Some of the pads are looking a little old. The baskets are pretty average. And the signs are very basic having only the hole #.

Some players will complain that the basket placements rarely change. That there is really only one set of pads. Personally, I appreciate that Bill has kept it like this. Why mess with perfection?

Closed for the winter months. OK, let's pack up the course and move it San Diego.
Other Thoughts: I've been reading about Flip City for so many years now including all the ratings controversy. I think, mentally, I was expecting to be slightly underwhelmed. But I was totally and completely overwhelmed and pleased. I would LOVE to be able to come up here and play Flip every Wednesday night.

My thanks to DGCR member Jeff (Mike) from Spring Lake for bringing me here and introducing me to everyone.

Best course ever!

2-4    5/26/2017   6/7/2017
Review By: Newmanjr
This review was updated on 6/10/2017
Pros: Set in a very scenic area of Michigan this course is easily one of the best in the U.S. The Course is $3 to play all day. You pay via drop box honor system and there are score cards available at the first tee box.

The course starts out easy at the first 3 holes and then you will see the dramatic changes in elevation begin.
The course is easy to navigate (Map on scorecard provided) with holes clearly marked and the next tee pad is easy to find. The course is very challenging and offers a wide range of shot types, but can be played at all skill levels.
Cons: The course is a bit far and out of the way. while also being a pro (not many players on the course any given day) there is some travel time involved, although definitely worth it! For lower skill level players the course can be a challenge. There are several holes you cannot see the pin from the tee pad so you may have to walk a bit to scope out the basket placement. the first time you play the course it might take some extra time to scope it out. Spotters are necessary on some holes. The elevation change and terrain would make it a bit difficult to use a disc cart so a bag and a chair would probably be preferred although not impossible.
Other Thoughts: Every disc golf player needs to make the pilgrimage to Flip City at least once in their lifetime. Set in the remote area of Michigan this course is gorgeous and landscaped to perfection with unique stones placed about the course. make sure to take the time to stop and look around at each hole to take in the scenery.

you will see the hard work and dedication put into the course by the owner which is appreciated by all who play it!

Flip

2-4    5/25/2013   4/28/2017
Review By: TeebirdDan
Pros: ofcourse this place is the stuff of legend ,and it lives up to it well ,still only 3 bucks to play because Bill is old school cool like most west Michigan discgolf people i have met . the layout is sweet with beautiful rolling hills threwout the course .really a great place to be ,it just feels good there.there is onsight camping too!
Cons: bugs can get a little nuts out there but whatever
Other Thoughts: every true discgolfer needs to make the trip atleast once.Events there are special .

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 23