Charlotte, NC
Kilborne TPC Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #1
Hole #1 Long/"Skillborne" Tee: Short tee to the right in photo and basket to the left.

Love this course

2-4    5/25/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: sloshed
Pros: Course Layout
Good mix open wooded
Condition of Course
Enjoyment factor
Fair use of elevation changes
Cons: Signage is there but not in good condition as of date last played
risk reward is not that great on most holes
Other Thoughts: Wife and I play this one when we come to town. There is something about this course we both love. Would highly recomend it to anyone.

2-4    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Good design with a few multi-shot holes. Must take advantage of easier holes as a few holes provide a nice challenge. Fairways are a must on most holes as rough and angles to pins can be very challenging. For me it is kind of a mix between Reedy and Sugaw.
Cons: Don't care for the park.

A- = A Great Course!

5+    12/30/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C+
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Oh....and a PS: I love the online "Be the Disc!" narrated fly-by videos! :)

good for practice and friendly competitioin

5+    4/8/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
This review was updated on 10/23/2009
Pros: -Good variety of holes, mostly wooded but plenty of room for slinging
-Rates highly in the fun factor, you'll be back here time and time again
-Well kept, decent signage
-Two layouts that offer variety depending on your skill level
-Great place to practice and try new shots
-Kilborne is a mid-range mecca
Cons: -Difference between the normal and skill layout is immense. I haven't tried skillborne yet, it's intimidating.
-Kinda busy, football (soccer) matches on the weekends (not a bad thing, but salient all the same)
Other Thoughts: Kilborne is a fun course, plain and simple. There is great variety in the holes. A beginner can come out here and shoot a decent round, then be disappointed by their next. It will test your mid-range game, there really is no need for distance drivers. Anyone can shoot under par here, but its not guaranteed - therein lies the appeal.
Hardest holes:
-Six: not necessarily difficult, but it is lengthy and gradually doglegs right. One missed throw in the woods and say goodbye to that birdie chance.
-Seventeen: a beast, with distance and trees a constant threat.
Easiest holes:
-One: very open, a good drive will secure that birdie
-Two: very open, so much so they have a soccer field there. That's the hardest part, not hitting anyone!

My favorite hole:
-Fourteen: when the evening sun hits the trees just right....and the leaves (in the fall) are glistening, well, you get the point. It's a scenic hole and it's where I sank my first long long "putt" when I first started playing - roughly a 100 footer.

UPDATE:
I'm not the biggest fan of the change at Kilborne, but it certainly doesn't detract from the overall rating. The new hole #9 is garbage, you have to cross the fairway of #8 to get to it, then you have a bout 7-8 feet of space to get it into the fairway. It feels forced, and I hate forced dg design.

An extremely enjoyable course!

1    3/30/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: Youngblood
Pros: I played this course after 4 straight days of a soaking rain and the course was extremely dry with only minimal mud spots. The course is laid out well with some tricky shots due to trees. There are sitting areas at nearly every hole. No excessive walking between any holes. All they players playing were kind and accommodating. Cement tee pads at every hole.
Cons: The course is very old and allot of tee markers were missing. The baskets are hard to see at a distance because the markers have been stolen or broken off. However all holes did contain baskets. A few unsavory people walking around, not sure I would play this course as a solo. (Although nobody bothered me while I was playing).
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, I would have loved to give more technical aspects of the course, but I am new to the sport so I am just keeping the review to the facts. I drove about 20 minutes to this course (Well worth it!) and highly recommend this course if you are ever in the Charlotte area. I will absolutely be back to play this course again in the very near future!! I have updated this review as I originally thought they were no bathrooms around, but I was incorrect. The park does indeed host bathrooms.

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: what a cool course, no one i know doesnt like it. built very well and very fun. open and in woods.
Cons: not very long holes but a good lil drive. kinda in a bad neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: i like it!!! i play there alot. also park closes at sunset

5+    2/12/2009   2/15/2009
Review By: willstradamus
Pros: -wooded with very well defined fariways
-fun for all levels of players
-well maintained course
-short version is great for getting a round in on a lunch break
-benches on almost every hole
-restrooms and other facilities between hole 1 and 18
Cons: -can be difficult to navigate on your first trip
-a really busy course (which could be a good thing as it shows how many people enjoy the course)
Other Thoughts: the locals dont call it "skillborne" for nothing

Good test of skills

2-4    10/7/2008   2/7/2009
Review By: DiscJunkie
This review was updated on 8/5/2009
Pros: Great test of skills. Well-defined fairways. Great use of alternate tees and baskets. Length and accuracy required. Combination of open and tight wooded shots. The park is very well maintained and clean.
Cons: Terrible flow of the holes. Very difficult to find the next tee, unless you play with a local. Easy to get lost. The course borders on several playing fields and an errant throw could wind up in the field of play.
Other Thoughts: This is how a wooded course should be designed. Well-defined fairways and difficult to rescue a bad shot. This is my favorite wooded course. Just a short ride from Sugaw in one direction, and a little longer to Reedy Creek in the other direction.

Skillborne

5+    10/28/2008   1/21/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros: Very nice technical course. Well drawn out and open fairways give plenty of room to work your shots, however thick woods do outline several holes, which will punish inaccurate throws. Park offers restrooms and plenty of trashcans.
Other Thoughts: Kilborne offers a great variety of shots and the park is very well maintained. Very deceiving fairways can humble you if you underestimate them. Like most of the Charlotte courses this one is a must play.

Fun!

5+    11/23/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: governmentthief
This review was updated on 12/1/2008
Pros: Fun course. Good for a beginner like me, but has enough challenge (especially on the back 9) to make it fun for advanced players too. Nice design allows for lots of different shots: some require accuracy, some distance, right and left doglegs. 16 and 17 can be beasts if you dont get a decent drive. Mostly wooded with only holes 1, 3, 10, 12 and 18 giving room for some reckless slinging.
Cons: Can get a bit crowded on the weekends. Not everyone seems to want to use the ubiquitous trash cans available. Hole 3 is often interfered with by nets from the soccer matches.
Other Thoughts: If you need to take a poo, be aware that the stall in the men's restroom is quite open and has no door! Yikes! Lots of soccer played here so try not to bean a soccer guy in the head on hole 3.