Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)
4 / 510ft.   4 / 535ft.   4 / 535ft.   4 / 630ft. Par / Distance:

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

1    7/24/2017   8/15/2017
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Making my way to the Nati, Mt. Airy certainly had the feel of an 'established' course. You can tell that a lot of hours have been put in caring for the course, and that a lot of players have passed through over the years. One major sign of that is of course the Nati, which is probably the best pro shop I've seen. Multiple practice baskets and a driving warm-up area also accommodate players.

Mt. Airy is at its best when it combines multiple elements on its holes. I really enjoyed the multi-shot holes that started out in the open and ended up in the woods or vice versa. Holes 1, 3, 11, 15, 16, and 17 did a great job with this while emphasizing placement. Errant shots are punished but still recoverable. Combining these type of holes with more straight-forward park-style holes gives the entire round a nice variety. It's not just a city park feel or woods golf, you get both here.

I really enjoy playing in a setting with rolling hills and scattered trees, so I enjoyed the holes here that offered that. It isn't quite as extreme as, say, Waterworks, but it does that aspect pretty well. These two combined aspects allow you to play different lines on many of the holes. Again, this is where Mt. Airy shines.

Despite playing in the afternoon and it being one of the most played courses on DGCR, traffic was never really an issue. You may see the same group of players a couple times throughout the round, but fairways are well spread out from each other for the most part.

The course is beautiful and the fairways are in great shape. Unless you land in the thickest patches of rough, disc searches should be rare. The tees and tee signs are also nicely done, while the red baskets are a nice touch to make easier to spot.
Cons: For being a highly heralded course, it had a couple holes that definitely didn't live up to the standard. In particular, 7-9 is a somewhat bland stretch IMO. I also wasn't a big fan of 5 which combined thick rough on one side and the road on the other side of a narrowing fairway.

I'm sure this isn't news to those who are familiar to the course, but it is the most lefty-focused course I've ever played. Playing here and Idlewild the next day helped me realized more than ever the need for me to start throwing forehands, but it still would've been nice to have a variety. Mt. Airy screams, "Lefty's revenge!"

There are a few awkward transitions from hole to hole. Sometimes you have a take a less-obvious path to the next hole, and sometimes, there are multiple paths by a basket but it's not clear which one to take. Sometimes I felt like we simply had to guess where the next hole was.

The course plays along, adjacent, or across the park roads a good bit, probably over half of the course.

The rough is very thick and borders a good bit of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy has been on my radar since I've been playing, so I enjoyed finally getting to play here. It has a unique feel to it with a combination of park-style play but also has holes that feel like they're in the deep woods. I enjoyed that variety and appreciate the work that has gone into the course. I haven't played Osage Grove yet, but this is easily the third best course in the region. Cincinnati is a great place to take a road trip to with all kinds of courses littered near each other. I'm stating the obvious, but make sure you play this Cincy staple if in the area.

Mt Airy, on top of the mountain

5+    7/2/2017   7/4/2017
Review By: sjberry2017
Pros: 18 unique holes; there isn't a single tee shot that you step up to and think of a previous hole you've played on the course. There are one or two which are similar, but the hole design and tree placement place very different demands on those tee shots.

Excellent use of elevation and mature trees. It is difficult because of the design of the holes, not because there are a million trees which get in the way.

Ample tees for run ups, very grippy.

Well maintained, fairways are mowed and grass is kept from getting too high.

Good flow through the course; it really has various segments where you know you can be aggressive and others where you need to lay back. A fun, engaging round.

Pro shop on site with drinks, snacks, and a great selection of discs. Adam and Jason are also super nice, laid back guys.

Two practice baskets for putts and upshots, as well as a driving net on an old shuffleboard court.

Trash buckets on each tee sign which are regularly emptied.

Water spigots scattered throughout the course with actually high quality water (Bobby Boucher would approve, if his momma hadn't said park water is the devil. And if you don't know who that is, google The Waterboy). They are located in the following places:

- before the pro shop on the right as you walk there from your car.

- behind 14's basket and hole 4's tee, near the playground.

- far to the right about a fifth of the way up four's fairway.

- at the top of the hill near the landing zone from the tee on hole 11.

- between hole 12's basket and hole 13's tee.
Cons: Mach III baskets. I'm not asking for super grabby, can't miss if you hit chains baskets. I'm just asking for fair baskets that don't spit out from pole hits or catching the sweet spot in just such a way the huge ring kicks you back out.

Some holes, for my skill level, play more as a par 4 (Hole 11, 13, 16, and 18 in the long) or par 5 (Hole 5 long). The only ones I'd say are definitely that way are holes 11 and 16 in the long. In the shorter pins, all the holes above are definitely par 3 or 4, but in the longs, I'd say the par can be bumped up. I know most don't care or will just play it the par they like, but I enjoy having pars set accordingly. Not a big deal though.

Can be SUPER busy. If you show up solo, you're probably going to be playing through a lot of groups.

Hole 6 to Hole 7 is a long walk, but you're outside anyways, might as well enjoy it.

The course is intertwined with the trails of the park a little too much for my taste. There are a few pins where the trail goes one way and golfers play the other way, so I could see a perfect storm striking and someone walking up right after a golfer has released a disc, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Some other park goers can be oblivious to disc golf, so check the fairways.

The rough is super rough and there are some semi-blind shots. Be prepared to either have someone go spot on a few holes, run out from the tee to watch your shot, or spend a while looking. Or just stay in the fairway, it's nice there anyways.

Hole 3's mando is somewhat unnecessary, as the road plays OB and there really isn't anything in danger if you throw over it.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is an old-guard course in Cincinnati, OH, which is the closest of Cincinnati's "Big 3" courses to where I'm currently staying. It winds throughout an old-growth forest with many unique and challenging shots. With three pins per hole, the layout can change to keep the course fresh and interesting. The all longs layout is an absolutely brutal test, while the mixed layout provides for some good birdie chances which aren't exactly gimme birdies. There is a pro shop on site, along with two practice baskets spaced far enough apart for some great upshot practice as well as a net for warming up your drive.

The course is absolutely gorgeous as well, all of the trees are beautiful and the grounds are well kept. Benches are at pretty much every hole and the tee pads are nice and ample on most holes. Each shot is unique and does not feel like you're replaying a hole from earlier in the round. Some of the shots are so much fun to throw that you'll be wanting to replay that hole though! The par 4's link very well and require placement and two great shots to get a birdie, while some of the long pins on other holes are really more like par 3.5s.

My only real qualms with this course are that the trails in the park interlink with the course on several holes, and many park users are also oblivious to disc golf. You'll be wanting to keep an eye out for others, and especially on holes 3 long, 4, 11, 13, 14, and 18. There are also many blind shots with seriously thick rough, so if you don't have a spotter and/or run into the fairway off the tee to watch the shot, you'll definitely be looking for discs during your round. You also may need to check a couple holes (hole 17 in particular) to make sure there isn't a group in the fairway before you throw. Also, I do wish they had upgraded the baskets at this course. Mach IIIs, while not the worst things ever, still give some brutal chain outs and spit outs. They don't really detract overall from the course, but it can still be frustrating. However, these baskets are in excellent shape and catch the best out of all the Mach IIIs I've encountered.

Favorite holes:

Hole 2 long is a super fun throw. Navigate the trees in front of the tee well, then let the disc do the work. Really nice hole.

Hole 9 is an uphill blast; navigate between one large tree off the tee and two others to the right and pray you have enough of an arm to get all the way up the hill.

Hole 10 is a great downhill hole, with a large bailout space to the left, but a canopy to challenge if you want the bird, or possibly an ace!

Hole 14 is a well set up hole, great flex shot in the C pin or a fun dead straight shot in B.

Hole 17 is a huge throw off the tee, but play for placement and try to set up a great second shot for the birdie three.

Hardest hole: Hole 11 long. There's a flex/turnover line for a 2, but unless you were just playing for the World Championships, odds are you just want your three. The tee shot is a hyzer placement shot around two trees up the hill from the tee, with a narrow tunnel leading to a seriously sloped green. The rough on both sides is thick, so be sure to keep an eye on where your shot is headed! Really fun hole, but seriously tough.

All in all, if you're in the actual city of Cincinnati and can't make it down to Kentucky for Idlewild, this is the must play course.

The Nati!!

5+    4/8/2017   4/8/2017
Review By: Red Beard
Pros: Beautiful park. concrete tee pads. Signs for pin selection with distance. Has a disc golf store. Offers lessons. Used and new discs. Two practice baskets. Watering pumps on 1, 4, between 7 and 12's basket, 11, and 14 (behind the basket).
Cons: It is a city park, parked cars, picnic areas can be an issue, but it's manageable.
Needs a few arrows for new timers to point them in the correct direction such as going from 5 to 6 or 10 to 11.
A proper 'mando' arrow with a 'mando' warning at tee pad 3 would help new players.
Other Thoughts: Adam and Jason work very diligently to upkeep this course, leagues, & tournaments. If you're new, there is a facebook group page called Cincy Disc Golfers, reach out, and someone can always help you.
I would never play this hole without another set of eyes if you're new to the course. There are some blind holes, wooded areas that love to eat discs.
Name and Number on ALL discs before playing here helps...

Mt. Airy Is Scary!

1    8/13/2016   8/16/2016
This review was updated on 8/15/2017
Pros: Sitting high above the city of Cincinnati is the disc golf course that is called Mt. Airy. Before starting your round, a visit to the pro shop is a must. It's a shame they don't stock advanced arms for sale, I couldv'e used one on the course. There you will find an awesome selection of discs, knowledgeable sales people and just about anything else disc golf related.

Right off, you can tell that this is a labor of love. There is the usual practice basket. Then there's a practice net to warm your arm up. You'll need it warmed up before and iced down afterward. And there is a basket set down a hill to warm up your mid-range shots. At the first hole you'll find a bench, nice tee signs giving you the usual information as well as a washer system indicating which position the basket is in at the moment.

Now is when reality sets in and you step up and see the basket is in the B position today, just 489' up a decent sized hill. I would describe Mt. Airy as relentless. It never lets you catch your breath. Hole after hole keeps the pressure on, both in the distance and in the challenging terrain and design. I was playing with local brothers, Tony & Kevin, they of the 400' drives, and to see them struggle at times made me wonder, what the hell am I doing on this mountain with my rec arm and tired old body. Thanks guys for letting me tag along on your round.

I really liked # 4, throwing over the ravine, but it's still a 400' hole. It would be so great to be able to play this course being able to throw 400'. The course is made for young, strong armed players. What a great challenge for them.

Cons: There's not much to complain about. I won't complain about this course being a little too much for us recreational types. I get tired of hearing better players complain that the little rec courses aren't challenging enough for them.

I guess the park's road come into play on a couple of holes.

The rough is nasty in a few places. I'm glad I was able to join up and play with other players. Those extra eyes helped finding discs on more than one occasion.

If I'm being extremely picky, I'd say there's no water in play. Another thing, IMO, is Mt. Airy lacks that signature hole, one that players talk about over campfires and is passed on in awe from generation to generation. It has lots super challenging, world class challenging holes but not that awesome downhill bomb. Again, I'm being picky.
Other Thoughts: I've been really torn over my rating here and I'm usually very quick to decide. I'd love to give Mt. Airy a 4.25 because that's what I'm comfortable with but I guess, with some regrets, I'll give it a 4.0 rating, it is an excellent course with great challenge for those players Intermediate rated and above. Enjoy!

A must visit!

2-4    7/17/2016   7/18/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: The Mt. Airy DGC is set in a great multi use park just outside downtown Cincinnati. Visit in the pro shop with a HUGE selection of discs, bags, accessories and other things to prepare for the round. The shop has great prices and the workers are great! Before you start there is a field with about 100 feet of grass to a practice basket, allowing you to practice upshots. Another basket is set up for putting as well with uphill, downhill and flat putts. Their is a driving net set up to warm your arm up your arm, which you will need! There are not many holes under 300 feet, requiring a driver for most holes. The course is very well designed and will require you to use every shot in your bag. The baskets are well kept and catch well. They are extremely visible painted red. The course is very well maintained, but has rough that can swallow discs! A great place to practuce everything that you need for a complete life of disc golf.
Cons: The biggest con for me is the fact that their is only one teepad per hole. This course will be very difficult for a beginner. As I said earlier, not too many holes under 300 feet. Their are alot of lefty friendly holes, which is good for a southpaw like me, but can get repetitive over time.
Other Thoughts: If I could give this course a 4.25 I would. I really enjoyed ny experience and look forward to coming back and playing again. The local club is awesome and I will most definitely reccomend this to anybody.

A Cincy Gem

1    5/26/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: el_duder
Pros: +Teepads and Baskets: Pads are concrete, good size, generally good condition. Baskets are DGA Mach III and in good condition.
+Layout: The course has multiple pin placements to provide a good amount of re-playability.
+Tee Signs: All were generally in good condition, provide necessary info, also have pin indicators that are a great help on blind holes.
+Challenge: This course requires a pretty good variety of shots and has a good bit of length to it depending on the pin locations.
+The Nati. I'll get into this more in the "Other Thoughts" section.
+Other: Very nicely maintained, clean, the park offers a bunch of picnic areas and trails and playground equipment, restrooms and water also available. Also has two additional holes available during the winter.
Cons: -Hazards: Several holes play close to roads or parking areas, one hole has you throwing over a road. These make me a bit nervous but probably don't bother more experienced players too much. It seems like the park can be very busy at times and that means there may be some unexpected spectators oblivious to flying discs.
-Variety: Generally the variety is pretty good but there were a handful of similar straight open throws. Not a major problem, but noticeable.
-Navigation could be a little bit of a problem so take a map.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is probably the best top notch course in Cincy for the widest range of skill levels. The course plays fairly quick, but does put up a pretty good challenge. I believe most of the pins were in B and C positions when I played. You will certainly use a variety of shots and may find yourself in a bit of trouble if you don't hit the fairway on many of the holes. However, other holes can be very forgiving too. It's very well balanced course and offers a fun round of golf.

One of the best aspects of this course is the Nati. This place is awesome for just hanging out and exudes a traditional clubhouse vibe. They stock a great selection of plastic and snacks for pre or post round munchies. In addition to the pro shop, you can warm up your arm at the driving nets or at one of the two warmup baskets. If you want to make a day of it, pack a lunch, eat at the picnic tables and challenge one of the locals to a game of "porch-shoes."

Hopefully the concern over this park getting closed passes and golfers can enjoy this course for many years to come. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to play at this classic course.

Wow, what a great course.

1    4/28/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: I have not been playing that long (about a month or so). I have played a few of the smaller courses and decided to play a longer one. Let's face it, Winton Woods is tiny compared to this place. I thought I was pretty good until I came here. I only managed to par a few of the holes while a couple of the others really kicked my butt. It didn't help that I came on a day when all of the tee's were in their longest position. I have a long way to go in my game.
Cons: Being my first time here, I had trouble finding my way from tee to bucket. (Maybe it was because the tee's were all the way back.
Other Thoughts: The pro shop was excellent and loaded with discs and accessories. The guy working was full of knowledge and actually talked me out of buying a couple of discs because he knew I wouldn't be able to throw them. Instead he personally took me outside to the practice driving net and gave me a lesson real quick. I bought another disc that he recommended. Also they have maps in the pro shop to help you out.

Salty milkshakes squishing between my toes

1    11/25/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 108

A great selection of holes at Mt Airy offers challenges involving a variety of elevation, wooded and open, lengths from ace runs to par 4s. All in a beautiful escape from the city, one of the more secluded feeling city park courses that I've played.

The Nati Pro shop is a big bonus with a huge selection of discs and equipment, knowledgeable staff, practice area outside with the only driving net I've ever come across.

Of the Cincy area big 3, this is my second favorite in that it has a bit more overall variety than Lincoln Ridge, and is a level below the awesomeness that is Idlewild. The area is a great weekend disc golf destination with Mt Airy being one of the shining gems.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Mt. Fun

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: Mt. Airy is located in a huge park. There is a nice building with a pro shop near the tee of #1. The land has rolling hills, open areas, and wooded areas. I'ts a really good mix of land and holes. There is a restroom and water located right in the middle of the park and accessible from several holes during the round. The locals do a great job taking care of this course.

Near tee #1 there is a great practice area. There are 2 practice baskets. One has astroturf lining it so there is no mud to contend with. There is also a net to throw into. I've never been to a course with a better practice area.

Each hole had 1 concrete tee pad. All were flat and long.

Each hole had a very desriptive tee signs showing all 3 pin placements.

Mach 3 baskets were in great shape. Looks like they just replaced them.

With the use of a map I had no problem navigating this course.

This course was challenging and fun. I could see newer players have a good time as well. There was rough but we did not have a hard time locating discs.

Roads come into play on quite a few holes adding challenge.

Hole #15 was a super fun hole crushing it down the hill.
Cons: There was quite a bit of traffic on the park roads the day I played. Our group almost blasted a car on accident. Not fun.

The course has very fun "tunnel" type shots.

The day I played it seemed like there were many holes in the 300 to 330 foot range.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun course and well worth the stop. I had played Idlewild and wanted to try something new. I was not let down by this course.

Obstacles and confusion

2-4    1/21/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: morgantobin
Pros: This course is a great place to practice moving around obstacles and has a wide array of hole types to keep things interesting.
Cons: You will have to go back toward the 3rd/4th holes to find the 7th hole, because it is not in an obvious spot.
Other Thoughts: The course is missing many signs and the tees are in need of repair.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5