Cincinnati, OH
Mt. Airy Forest Share
Uploaded By: ImSchizoidMan Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 290ft.   3 / 375ft.   3 / 290ft.   4 / 430ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
Mt Airy, on top of the mountain

5+    7/2/2017   7/4/2017
Review By: sjberry2017
Pros: 18 unique holes; there isn't a single tee shot that you step up to and think of a previous hole you've played on the course. There are one or two which are similar, but the hole design and tree placement place very different demands on those tee shots.

Excellent use of elevation and mature trees. It is difficult because of the design of the holes, not because there are a million trees which get in the way.

Ample tees for run ups, very grippy.

Well maintained, fairways are mowed and grass is kept from getting too high.

Good flow through the course; it really has various segments where you know you can be aggressive and others where you need to lay back. A fun, engaging round.

Pro shop on site with drinks, snacks, and a great selection of discs. Adam and Jason are also super nice, laid back guys.

Two practice baskets for putts and upshots, as well as a driving net on an old shuffleboard court.

Trash buckets on each tee sign which are regularly emptied.

Water spigots scattered throughout the course with actually high quality water (Bobby Boucher would approve, if his momma hadn't said park water is the devil. And if you don't know who that is, google The Waterboy). They are located in the following places:

- before the pro shop on the right as you walk there from your car.

- behind 14's basket and hole 4's tee, near the playground.

- far to the right about a fifth of the way up four's fairway.

- at the top of the hill near the landing zone from the tee on hole 11.

- between hole 12's basket and hole 13's tee.
Cons: Mach III baskets. I'm not asking for super grabby, can't miss if you hit chains baskets. I'm just asking for fair baskets that don't spit out from pole hits or catching the sweet spot in just such a way the huge ring kicks you back out.

Some holes, for my skill level, play more as a par 4 (Hole 11, 13, 16, and 18 in the long) or par 5 (Hole 5 long). The only ones I'd say are definitely that way are holes 11 and 16 in the long. In the shorter pins, all the holes above are definitely par 3 or 4, but in the longs, I'd say the par can be bumped up. I know most don't care or will just play it the par they like, but I enjoy having pars set accordingly. Not a big deal though.

Can be SUPER busy. If you show up solo, you're probably going to be playing through a lot of groups.

Hole 6 to Hole 7 is a long walk, but you're outside anyways, might as well enjoy it.

The course is intertwined with the trails of the park a little too much for my taste. There are a few pins where the trail goes one way and golfers play the other way, so I could see a perfect storm striking and someone walking up right after a golfer has released a disc, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Some other park goers can be oblivious to disc golf, so check the fairways.

The rough is super rough and there are some semi-blind shots. Be prepared to either have someone go spot on a few holes, run out from the tee to watch your shot, or spend a while looking. Or just stay in the fairway, it's nice there anyways.

Hole 3's mando is somewhat unnecessary, as the road plays OB and there really isn't anything in danger if you throw over it.
Other Thoughts: Mt. Airy is an old-guard course in Cincinnati, OH, which is the closest of Cincinnati's "Big 3" courses to where I'm currently staying. It winds throughout an old-growth forest with many unique and challenging shots. With three pins per hole, the layout can change to keep the course fresh and interesting. The all longs layout is an absolutely brutal test, while the mixed layout provides for some good birdie chances which aren't exactly gimme birdies. There is a pro shop on site, along with two practice baskets spaced far enough apart for some great upshot practice as well as a net for warming up your drive.

The course is absolutely gorgeous as well, all of the trees are beautiful and the grounds are well kept. Benches are at pretty much every hole and the tee pads are nice and ample on most holes. Each shot is unique and does not feel like you're replaying a hole from earlier in the round. Some of the shots are so much fun to throw that you'll be wanting to replay that hole though! The par 4's link very well and require placement and two great shots to get a birdie, while some of the long pins on other holes are really more like par 3.5s.

My only real qualms with this course are that the trails in the park interlink with the course on several holes, and many park users are also oblivious to disc golf. You'll be wanting to keep an eye out for others, and especially on holes 3 long, 4, 11, 13, 14, and 18. There are also many blind shots with seriously thick rough, so if you don't have a spotter and/or run into the fairway off the tee to watch the shot, you'll definitely be looking for discs during your round. You also may need to check a couple holes (hole 17 in particular) to make sure there isn't a group in the fairway before you throw. Also, I do wish they had upgraded the baskets at this course. Mach IIIs, while not the worst things ever, still give some brutal chain outs and spit outs. They don't really detract overall from the course, but it can still be frustrating. However, these baskets are in excellent shape and catch the best out of all the Mach IIIs I've encountered.

Favorite holes:

Hole 2 long is a super fun throw. Navigate the trees in front of the tee well, then let the disc do the work. Really nice hole.

Hole 9 is an uphill blast; navigate between one large tree off the tee and two others to the right and pray you have enough of an arm to get all the way up the hill.

Hole 10 is a great downhill hole, with a large bailout space to the left, but a canopy to challenge if you want the bird, or possibly an ace!

Hole 14 is a well set up hole, great flex shot in the C pin or a fun dead straight shot in B.

Hole 17 is a huge throw off the tee, but play for placement and try to set up a great second shot for the birdie three.

Hardest hole: Hole 11 long. There's a flex/turnover line for a 2, but unless you were just playing for the World Championships, odds are you just want your three. The tee shot is a hyzer placement shot around two trees up the hill from the tee, with a narrow tunnel leading to a seriously sloped green. The rough on both sides is thick, so be sure to keep an eye on where your shot is headed! Really fun hole, but seriously tough.

All in all, if you're in the actual city of Cincinnati and can't make it down to Kentucky for Idlewild, this is the must play course.

The Nati!!

5+    4/8/2017   4/8/2017
Review By: Red Beard
Pros: Beautiful park. concrete tee pads. Signs for pin selection with distance. Has a disc golf store. Offers lessons. Used and new discs. Two practice baskets. Watering pumps on 1, 4, between 7 and 12's basket, 11, and 14 (behind the basket).
Cons: It is a city park, parked cars, picnic areas can be an issue, but it's manageable.
Needs a few arrows for new timers to point them in the correct direction such as going from 5 to 6 or 10 to 11.
A proper 'mando' arrow with a 'mando' warning at tee pad 3 would help new players.
Other Thoughts: Adam and Jason work very diligently to upkeep this course, leagues, & tournaments. If you're new, there is a facebook group page called Cincy Disc Golfers, reach out, and someone can always help you.
I would never play this hole without another set of eyes if you're new to the course. There are some blind holes, wooded areas that love to eat discs.
Name and Number on ALL discs before playing here helps...

A very good course

2-4    10/28/2016   10/30/2016
Review By: remraf
Pros: + Pretty long!
+ Multiple Basket locations
+ Red colored baskets = easier to see!
+ Warm up net and basket
+ Pro shop that is well stocked
+ Fairly good variety
+ Great hole specific signage
+ Concrete tees in good condition
Cons: - Birdies are hard to come by for noodle arms like mine
- Looks to get a lot of traffic This can only be a con if you get behind a slower group that doesn't want to let you through.
- Lack of next tee signs. Regulars will rightly call out that the tee pad signs show which way to go after the basket. So there is something there but I'd prefer to be told where to go after the hole is played out. I've been on courses that use a different color on one of the basket rungs to point you in the right direction. That could be helpful here.
Other Thoughts: I have been playing for 4 years now, and I finally got down to play Mt. Airy. I had avoided it because a Grandmaster I know told me early on in my recreational playing that I was not ready for Mt. Airy when I asked about it. So playing it was like checking off a bucket list item for me. This is a very good course, that's a lot of fun to play. But I had heard so much about it, that I found it ever so slightly disappointing. It's long, well manicured, and in a very beautiful park. But I think the maintenance, polish, and pro shop really play into the rating of this course. Lincoln Ridge is a good notch better, in my opinion. You may not agree, and that's ok! I'd also say that Gordon Holton Memorial in Delaware, Ohio is also better. Not in the same vicinity, I know. But when I read that it's a top flight course, I'm going to compare it and rate it based on my admittedly limited experience (18 courses.) And Lincoln Ridge and Gordon Holton are easily the 2 best I've played. Mt. Airy currently comes in at 3rd, but if Osage Grove in Goshen can consistently be maintained and continue to be polished, I might even put that course above Airy. But now it reads like I'm putting the course down, and I'm not. It definitely deserves the reverence it receives. It IS a top notch course. But is it the best course in Ohio or Northern Kentucky area? Not in my opinion. Finally, I'm not sure what is with the A and B holes between 3 and 4? They're great holes! But why aren't they on the scorecard available here on dgcoursereview - and by extension, in the sourcecard on the mobile app? Anyways, if you haven't played it, by all means go! It's great! You'll have a blast! And bring your wallet and support The Nati Disc Golf shop. In addition to just about every disc you can think of being available, they offer a good selection of used discs, and even a selection of test discs!

Decent multi-use park course

1    9/5/2016   9/6/2016
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Clean, well-maintained course with friendly locals and of course the on-site pro disc shop! A decent course flow, and a decent variety of holes. Ample parking. Water faucet. Easy access off freeway. Good signage.
Cons: Most of the course runs around the perimeter of the park, along the roads. Some of the transitions are confusing. Non-exclusive land for the course. Lots of other park visitor traffic on the fairways.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent course in a multi-use city park. There wasn't anything particularly exceptional about the course save for the very cool pro shop on-site. The holes were challenging, and some were fun. None were particularly memorable.

The course plays so close to the park roads, as well as the other park activities, that I just found myself wanting to finish up my round as soon as possible. I prefer more seclusion when I play disc golf. There was none of that here.

There were no real technical challenges as the course never went back into the woods after the first hole.

The course is obviously well-maintained and cherished by the local players, which is a big plus. But that doesn't change the fact that at best the holes and course are what one would expect at any multi-use park course that takes the "road hug" design approach. There is nothing particularly unique or memorable about the course itself or any of it's holes.

I played Mt. Airy in between playing Lincoln Ridge and Osage Grove the same day on a road trip. I will make a point to play those courses again, and would go out of my way to play Lincoln Ridge. I wouldn't head back to Mt. Airy.

This is what a course should be

5+    8/23/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: The more I play this course the more I like it. It has everything a course should have. A pro shop on site. Concrete tee pads. Great signage. Common sense layout. Garbage cans, benches, etc. Everything everyone wants is here. The setting is beautiful with big trees and rolling terrain. It's just pleasant to play here. The baskets are the best I've ever seen- painted, marked and they catch properly. No issues not knowing what basket you are throwing at. Overall a great course and one I like to call my home course even though it's not the closest to me. It's that good.
Cons: Only con is that it can be busy, especially on perfect summer weekends. And since it is a local park, you'll get everyone from closet pros down to families with little kids. Usually playing through isn't a problem unless you get behind someone who doesn't understand proper etiquette. But that normally isn't an issue.
Other Thoughts: This course challenges me as rec player with its various lines. Right bends, left bends, low ceilings, wood, brush, etc can all play parts in the round. There are easy par 3s, hard par 3s, reasonable par 4s and an evil par 4. This is a long course for the par 3s it offers. 380' through trees is a tough 3 for me. But the course is such a pleasure to play that I'll just keep at it. If you are in the area it is definitely worse the stop.

Mt. Airy Is Scary!

1    8/13/2016   8/16/2016
This review was updated on 8/22/2016
Pros: Sitting high above the city of Cincinnati is the disc golf course that is called Mt. Airy. Before starting your round, a visit to the pro shop is a must. It's a shame they don't stock advanced arms for sale, I couldv'e used one on the course. There you will find an awesome selection of discs, knowledgeable sales people and just about anything else disc golf related.

Right off, you can tell that this is a labor of love. There is the usual practice basket. Then there's a practice net to warm your arm up. You'll need it warmed up before and iced down afterward. And there is a basket set down a hill to warm up your mid-range shots. At the first hole you'll find a bench, nice tee signs giving you the usual information as well as a washer system indicating which position the basket is in at the moment.

Now is when reality sets in and you step up and see the basket is in the B position today, just 489' up a decent sized hill. I would describe Mt. Airy as relentless. It never lets you catch your breath. Hole after hole keeps the pressure on, both in the distance and in the challenging terrain and design. I was playing with local brothers, Tony & Kevin, they of the 400' drives, and to see them struggle at times made me wonder, what the hell am I doing on this mountain with my rec arm and tired old body. Thanks guys for letting me tag along on your round.

I really liked # 4, throwing over the ravine, but it's still a 400' hole. It would be so great to be able to play this course being able to throw 400'. The course is made for young, strong armed players. What a great challenge for them.

Cons: There's not much to complain about. I won't complain about this course being a little too much for us recreational types. I get tired of hearing better players complain that the little rec courses aren't challenging enough for them.

I guess the park's road come into player on a couple of holes.

The rough is nasty in a few places. I'm glad I was able to join up and play with other players. Those extra eyes helped finding discson more than one occasion.

If I'm being extremely picky, I'd say there's no water in play. Another thing, IMO, is Mt. Airy lacks that signature hole, one that players talk about over campfires and is passed on in awe from generation to generation. It has lots super challenging, world class challenging holes but not that awesome downhill bomb. Again, I'm being picky.
Other Thoughts: I've been really torn over my rating here and I'm usually very quick to decide. I'd love to give Mt. Airy a 4.25 because that's what I'm comfortable with but I guess, with some regrets, I'll give it a 4.0 rating, it is an excellent course with great challenge for those players Intermediate rated and above. Enjoy!

A must visit!

2-4    7/17/2016   7/18/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: The Mt. Airy DGC is set in a great multi use park just outside downtown Cincinnati. Visit in the pro shop with a HUGE selection of discs, bags, accessories and other things to prepare for the round. The shop has great prices and the workers are great! Before you start there is a field with about 100 feet of grass to a practice basket, allowing you to practice upshots. Another basket is set up for putting as well with uphill, downhill and flat putts. Their is a driving net set up to warm your arm up your arm, which you will need! There are not many holes under 300 feet, requiring a driver for most holes. The course is very well designed and will require you to use every shot in your bag. The baskets are well kept and catch well. They are extremely visible painted red. The course is very well maintained, but has rough that can swallow discs! A great place to practuce everything that you need for a complete life of disc golf.
Cons: The biggest con for me is the fact that their is only one teepad per hole. This course will be very difficult for a beginner. As I said earlier, not too many holes under 300 feet. Their are alot of lefty friendly holes, which is good for a southpaw like me, but can get repetitive over time.
Other Thoughts: If I could give this course a 4.25 I would. I really enjoyed ny experience and look forward to coming back and playing again. The local club is awesome and I will most definitely reccomend this to anybody.

Great Place

1    11/20/2015   6/21/2016
Review By: Skeeter3
Pros: This course was great. It was well taken care of. Facilities on site were good. Awesome pro shop with nice and helpful staff! Good mix of shots. Holes were challenging but not too challenging for an recreational player. If we're ever in the area again, we will definitely be back and will recommend it to our friends traveling in the area.
Cons: I have no cons for this course!
Other Thoughts: Everything was great.

Stop in the Pro Shop....AWESOME Selection of discs!

First time player

1    5/25/2016   5/27/2016
Review By: Rlslavens2
Pros: It was our first time out playing and we were blown away by everything. We were greated by a nice man before we started and he was telling us a little bit about the course and the staff/volunteers that keep up the course. He even was nice enough to give us a few pointers before we started. The course was really well maintained and had great signs to let you know the hole layout. The course overall was groomed and had a good variety of hole layouts.
Cons: There was some poison ivy around the wedges and when you lost your frisbee in the woods you really had to look out for it.

Great park, good course.

1    6/21/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course located in a VERY nice park in Cincinnati, OH.

Great tee signs. Full color, large, and with every bit of information you could want. Really like that there was a pin indicator on each hole, and that they were actually being used.

Concrete tee pads, one per hole. Plenty long, wide, and grippy. No issues with these.

DGA baskets, in good repair and mounted well. Holes all had 2 or 3 basket placements on each, with relatively different lines for most. All caught just like you'd expect them to.

Lots of nice, rolling elevation. Many holes incorporated good uphill and downhill shots. Mix in the plethora of large, mature trees, and there were obstacles on every hole. Going off the fairways here usually results in an extra stroke, which makes for nice scoring separation.

Some more open holes, and some that were tighter and more wooded. Definitely a decent mix. Some good pin placements that made you think about running putts or laying up.

The Nati disc golf shop on site is a great touch. Super cool building, and all the gear you could want, including a nice selection of used discs.
Cons: We played the course in all long positions, and there was just too much of the same shot...left to right. Don't get me wrong, I actually love this shot, but I don't want to throw it on 75% of the holes on a course. I'd assume lefties love the longs. Looking at many of the additional pin placements, they just didn't seem to add much intrigue.

Navigation here gets a little weird in the middle here, around holes 6-8. You walk back over your path.

I wasn't a huge fan of all the shots playing really close to roads. As full as this place can get, I have to imagine that plenty of automobiles get plunked over the course of a season.

Other Thoughts: While this is definitely a nice course (in a super beautiful park), it just didn't have that "it" factor for me. I definitely can see how some people love it, though. Out of all the greater Cincy courses we played, it probably ranked 4th behind Lincoln Ridge, Osage, and Idlewild for me.

I'd definitely tell people to go play here and decide for themselves if they're in the area, but it wouldn't be my first choice. With that said, it's still a fun round of golf, and most people will have a great time here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11