Huntersville, NC
Bradford Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 12/2014)
3 / 375ft.   3 / 375ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Fantastic course

1    10/9/2017   10/9/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Bradford is a fantastic course in northern Mecklenburg County (outside of Charlotte in the suburb of Huntersville). It's legitimately one of the best courses in the Disc Golf Mecca of Charlotte. I rank it behind Nevin and R.L. Smith (barely), out of the courses I've played, but I admit that this is partly situational, as I played Bradford on a soggy day and after Parks & Rec pulled two holes for a park construction project. I imagine on a sunny day with better conditions, and all 18 holes in place, I'd rate Bradford a 4.5.

+ Navigation is simple, even with holes 11 and 12 not currently playable. There are next tee signs everywhere needed, good tee box signs, easy paths. If you're playing alone as a first timer, you won't have any problems.

+ The property is really beautiful, with mature forest and what they call "Cedar Alley," a series of holes with lots of cedar trees. When my son and I got to the first hole of cedar alley, with rows of young, perfectly aligned cedar trees, our reaction was, "Whoooaaa." It's a neat looking hole. (The fog, when we played, contributed to the mystical look of the hole.) Aesthetically, Bradford is one of the nicest courses I've played, and certainly so in Charlotte.

+ The course design and hole layouts are terrific. Great use of elevation. Several holes on ridges with slanting fairways, forcing you to place shots with the right angle and right amount of skip. There are a couple of death putt baskets. A creek is in play on a couple holes. There are wide open holes, wooded and technical holes... Bradford has it all.

+ Long and short tees available. I'm an intermediate player and played the shorts. I thought they were sufficiently challenging for my skill level: not too difficult, not to easy. Very fair. The long tees are significantly longer on a few holes and only slightly longer on others.

+ They did a great job of using the unique topography of the property. For example, a huge boulder is directly in front of the 10th basket. You have to try to hyzer your disc in over that obstacle to the green. I mentioned Cedar Alley already. Hole 17 is a great downhill hole with the basket on a slope opposite the tee -- with a creek bisecting the fairway. There's another creek hole with a peninsula green. The course concludes with a death putt basket on a steep hill for #18. The designers had a lot to work with on this property...and they took advantage of it.

+ Good mix of hole distances, hyzer, anhyzer, and straight lines.

+ Good concrete tees, not to short or narrow. (Some were a little slick though.)

+ Good baskets.
Cons: As much as I enjoyed Bradford, I feel like there are some pretty easy upgrades that would take this course to a 4.5, in my book.

- First and foremost, it's a bummer to have two holes pulled. I hope this is only temporary and they're able to re-open holes 11 and 12.

- I played Bradford after a day of rain, so I will admit that my experience there would have been better with dry conditions. There's construction going on in the park, so there's a good bit of mud. I didn't see any major drainage problems though.

- The biggest con for me was the underbrush and grass. On the open holes, the grass desperately needed to be cut, when I played. (It didn't help that it was wet grass.) There is some real rough on a few holes, including briars. It wasn't too bad, but enough to land Bradford at a 4.0 for me. I think with a good local club work day, all of it could be taken care of.

- Bradford is par 54. I wish it had a couple of par 4's and 5's, like many other Charlotte courses. (This is a nit-pick, as I stated I played the short tees...I could've played the long tees to get the par 4 difficultly level on a few holes.)
Other Thoughts: I would love to come back and play Bradford, especially with some of the improvements mentioned above. If you're traveling to Charlotte, make plans to bag this one.

Bradford Park

1    4/23/2017   5/24/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads

Has excellent tee signs

Has a bench at every tee pad if I'm not mistaken

Course navigation without a map is fairly straightforward

More wooded than open fairways with some elevations - which will be challenging to the casual player

Nice scenery

Well-maintained

Free parking

Restrooms
Cons:
Few opportunities to lose discs here in the water on holes #3, 12, 15 & 16 - recommend backup discs

Lots of trees where some fairways can be quite unfair for those who haven't mastered disc control

Some holes have fairly long walks in between such as #5 & #6 , and #10 & #11 - not really a con in my book but some may not like the additional walking
This a nice, challenging 18 hole course in Huntersville that I enjoyed playing while vacationing out here. I probably would have had more fun if it wasn't raining on the day I played. The course is really beautiful and a joy to play even when it rained. Most of the holes are wooded, straight, and had some degree of elevation to them - which made it even more challenging playing here in the rain. A few holes had water murky enough where you can lose discs. Most of this course is wooded where some fairways are tight enough to add a challenging dimension of required control. Cedar Alley is tough on discs not thrown accurately. Holes #1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, & 16 were memorably tight for me and reminded me on why I don't play in the rain as often, but it was my last day of vacation in the area so I had to make the best of it. Some hole transitions had fairly long walks but they weren't that bad for me. All in all, this is an excellent course not to be missed and definitely worth bagging if you're in the area.

Bradford Park is one of the best in the Charlotte area

2-4    3/19/2017   3/19/2017
Review By: bdupree
Pros: Without a doubt, Bradford Park is one of my absolute favorites in the Charlotte metro area. At this point I have only been playing for about 8 months, and this course is perfect for beginners wanting to take that next step.

One of the best things about the course is location. It is about 15 minutes east of I-77, off exit 25. The route out there gets away from the nonstop string of strip malls off the exit. Pretty quickly, you are driving out through open farmland. When I played today, the back parking lot was completely full but the disc golf course was not all that busy. It seems like this one is just tucked away back in a beautiful piece of property.

The first two holes really aren't very indicative of what you will see from number three onward. The first hole drives me nuts, with a tiny opening you have to hit off the tee. Second hole is unlike anything else on the course... basically a big long wide open hole in a grass field. After that, you get to see a lot of really well thought out hole layouts. For a beginner, this is actually a tough track. However, it will make you better in the long run. Par can be tough on a majority of the holes, but none of them seem to be very unfair.

Hole three has a great basket location, just in front of a little bend in the creek. Right behind the basket on the other bank of the creek is a massive boulder, too. Quality footbridges are in several places around the course, including the path from three to four. The next four holes work their way up and down the hills through the woods, and then you pop out into an unusual opening at number eight.

Eight is something else... "cedar alley." Short tees sit right in the middle of this odd stretch of small cedar trees. The hole is relatively short, but you have to hit a very straight tee line or else you will end up underneath a 10' cedar tree with no good line to get out. I still haven't figured out how to play this one, but I love the hole.

Number nine enters back into the trees, and then ten goes back slightly uphill to a great basket location. This one is perched immediately behind a huge boulder, requiring a delicate approach shot if you're going for a safe par. Eleven takes you back out into the open a little, and so does twelve. Thirteen is a great hole with two tiers of long and short tees. This one goes over a small ravine, back up a steep hill to a flat basket location. Fourteen is similar, with an elevated tee going up into a thicket of small trees around the basket. Basically, jail if you miss the right line.

Of the finishing holes, sixteen is most interesting. Downhill steep tee shot, threaded between quite a few mature hardwoods. At the bottom, there is a really nice two-tier footbridge that leads up to the basket location. The last two holes aren't all that thrilling, considering how unique the rest of the layout is. The basket for eighteen is perched up on what seems like a mountaintop from where your tee pad starts.

Bottom line, this is a fantastic course overall. I will happily take the 25 minute drive from the middle of Charlotte to go up here often.
Cons: Not much downside here at all. The park is a little bit of a drive from I-77, but in my opinion that isn't a bad thing.
Other Thoughts: If you finish up quickly here, there are some other great options in the area. The little Bailey Road Park course is only about three miles away. For those of you who are "of age," you are less than 5 miles away from three breweries... Ass Clown, Primal, and D9. Not a bad way to finish off a round!

One of the best kept secrets in Charlotte

5+    5/24/2016   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This is a really well designed and challenging course. It's a great place for beginner and pros alike. The course offers a solid mix of big arm throws and technical tight shots. Every hole presents a unique and interesting challenge, and the scenery surrounding the course is spectacular. It can get muddy, but the course plays very well.
Cons: Watch out for ticks, and this course will EAT DISCS. Keep an eye out for where you land and walk immediately there. It's very easy to lose sight of where you end up.

Text book course

5+    3/18/2016   3/19/2016
Review By: Klingmeyer
This review was updated on 9/22/2016
Pros: Great signage with distance and overview of holes. Holes are put together well with long and short concrete tee pads. Very good diversity of distances. A good mix of open and wooded holes as well as elevation changes. This course is a good course for beginners and veteran players alike. Foot traffic is never too heavy. Some tee-shots are very tight through the trees; #9, #13.
Cons: Very long #8 hole (challenging). Almost twice as long from long tee box (720 ft from long). It's much better since the underbrush has been cut. Not much to say negatively about this course.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in this area so far. Some holes are difficult to par on regular basis. The paths are clearly marked and there is an option to play a short 9 holes after the 4th hole.

Great

2-4    10/1/2015   10/7/2015
Review By: Mygrassisblue
Pros: Excellent, extremely clean and well thought out holes. Bradford is how disc golf courses should be. Signage is good, and the holes flow together nicely without confusing. Good mix of wooded and open holes, the vegetation is really nice on a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: Check this one out, you won't be disappointed

1    9/5/2015   9/12/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros:
Bradford doesn't disappoint. The highlight is the two cedar alley holes, which both offer a gut shot between rows of ten-foot cedar trees along with the option of bombing it over the top of it all. Unique holes. Other than that there is a ton of variety with both open and wooded shots. The open shots are appropriately longer and the wooded fairways are just the perfect width to challenge without turning people off of the game. It isn't a mountain course but there are plenty of rolling hills and slight elevation changes.
New signs and easy navigation are bonuses here, as is the signed directions to just play nine holes. I wish I had more to say but Bradford is almost textbook, how-to-make-a-course that I'm almost stumped about what to say about it. After close to 250, I've finally the one that I don't have much to say about. Bradford is completely balanced and varied. If disc golf courses had evolved naturally instead of being planned by people, I would suspect this course to the ancestor from which all other courses had evolved from. Just completely well done and highly recommended.
Cons: I don't think the blue tees added much. Often, the blue layout used the same exact tee so it wasn't an entirely different set of holes. Other times, it didn't change the look much.
I liked the look of the old 15 based on photos and map. It looked like it was a long drive to a right dogleg and then a pond on the approach, which is a reversal of the usual water setup.
Other Thoughts: A lot to like about Bradford and settles into that nebulous region between a 3.5 and a 4 for me. One of those rare courses that despite having only one difficulty, would probably appeal to players of an assortment of skill levels. It works best for intermediate players but I can't imagine a player that I would tell not to go to Bradford. A lot of I'm pretty sure that they layout has been changed a bit recently as all the holes featured new signs and hole distances and sometimes hole shapes did not match with the map I had downloaded here.

Nice, clean, but difficult for newer players.

1    8/22/2015   8/22/2015
Review By: Harpo1989
Pros: This is a well maintain and very scenic course. The wooded holes are more cleaned out than nearby Robbins Park. While tee shots can be narrow or long at times, the approach shots are typically clear from underbrush and places to lose your disc are minimal.

I am still a newer player but usually still play long tees. I will say that I am not good enough to be playing the long tees on this course. An 11 on hole 8 is testament to that. While this is a con for me some better players might find this good news as the long tees offer more added challenge than simply adding length on a lot of the holes.

Next time I will play the shorter tees and very likely have much less difficulty. Hole 8's long tee requires a long and straight tee shot just to make it to the short tee and hole 18 has a mando requiring you to hyzer around a tree through a narrow opening and away from the hole!
Cons: Not many. There were several holes that did not have the signage telling you distance and direction.

Also, I did not see any arrows directing you from the 11th hole basket towards the 12th tee, which is off to the right along the roadway.
Other Thoughts: There is a practice basket near the first tee, which is always a plus.

If you're coming from out of town and need a second course to play, Robbins Park is only a few miles away and would make for a great one-two punch!

Another impressive Charlotte course

1    7/3/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Very challenging intermediate to pro level course. Requires extreme accuracy as well as distance.

Very clean park with playground on site.

Baskets - 18 Grippy innova discatchers that were fantastic. Had zero issues with spit outs. Had a practice basket.

Tees - Each hole had at least 1 large concrete tee pad that were still in great shape. 12 holes had dual tees with a shorter set. 6 holes only had 1 tee.

Variety - Course is heavily wooded so bring your A game. Everything from short and technical to long and technical to long and open. Only a few holes were mostly open but still required great placement due to elevation or the woods bordering the fairway. Multiple types of terrains. Several tunnel shots requiring a player to thread the needle. Many holes had blind shots due to elevation and woods.

Signs - Signs were very helpful. Listed distance, par, hole number, and a map. Course billboard at start of course with very detailed map and info on disc golf. Signs throughout course pointing towards the next hole. Also, after hole 4, sign gives info on possible 9 hole loop (1-4, 14-18).

Many signature holes here.

Trash bags and benches at each hole.

Elevation - Elevation on almost every hole (8-12 were flat).

Rocks - A cool feature from this course are the massive rocks throughout it. Really stood out to me.

Course was challenging but not as challenging as Nevin or Robert L Smith. Still had many intimidating holes.

Very scenic and peaceful. Quite park with lots of nature and animals to take in. Plenty of shade.

Another spread out park. Only a few holes had bordering fairways but was never an issue due to the woods between them.

Course started and ended near the parking lot.

Bridges and steps when needed.

Very easy to navigate.
Cons: I did have many negative thoughts about this course. It had pretty much everything. A little more clearing on a few of the holes would be nice but that would take away from the challenge.

Poison Ivy throughout course.
Other Thoughts: I was a big fan of this course. Out of the 6 I played in the Charlotte area, this was my third favorite behind Nevin, Robert Smith. It was very challenging but had enough holes that gave you a break in between the woods. A few ace opportunities.

The walks between holes were peaceful and scenic which is always a plus.

Would definitely recommend this course to anyone traveling though the city or someone looking for a challenge. If it is too hard or too easy, there are several other courses nearby.

I felt this course was much better than 4 out of 5. Not nearly as good as Nevin, Renaissance Gold/Silver, or Robert L but still a great compliment to those courses. Worth checking it out.

Cedar Maze

1    6/10/2015   6/10/2015
Review By: Dickie B
Pros: First time on the course and played the short tees for the upcoming CAC (MG1). Very impressed with the variety of shots required, most of which require a higher level of technical skill. Each hole has it's own merits which are unique to that particular hole. Forehand, backhand, power drives, they are all there.
The course if VERY clean and well maintained. Flow from basket to tee is smooth and protected from upcoming players. The concrete, brushed finish tee pads are excellent. Benches are at all tees and some (most) are artistically produced.
Cons: Hole #11 left me wanting for a homing device on my disc. By the time I found it, I was itching like crazy and by the time I got home, I had at least 5 chigger bits on my legs. Yuk! I guess I need to have a bit more control or at least a spotter :)
Could have used a little arrow after hole 8 to help me find hole 9. The on-line map and the real-world didn't match exactly.
Honestly, if that's all I have to complain about, I guess you could say the course exceeded my expectations.
Other Thoughts: When I started out to find Hole #1, I met a gent, to whom I told it was "my first time" at this course. He politely pointed me in the right direction and had so many good things to say about the course that I wondered if it could be true. I am a believer :) I just wish the course was close to Clover so I could play it every day! A 5 rating hasn't been given by me yet because I've never been blown away by a course. A 4.5 is reserved for what I consider the best so far. So, a 4.0 is the highest I can give this course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6