Bailey, CO
Bailey DGC Share
Uploaded By: andylibrande Hole #1 (Taken 7/2016)

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
So much awesome....

1    9/27/2017   10/5/2017
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I am a recreational DGer so this review is based on what I want out of a disc golf round, knowing I can't throw a disc 500 ft. This course was so much fun. It really was the perfect foil to a course like Bucksnort. It is a massive and more open setting which lets you air it out and after a week of extreme mountain courses, it is a perfect change of pace. It is still set in the mountains but the land has lots more space to throw big shots. That being said, the holes were planned out very intentionally and I never felt like things were repetitious.
Variety- I needed to throw every shot in my bag. There were a number of very creative pin/tee locations and I loved the full use of the landscape available.
Amenities- Tee pads are natural but in excellent condition. Signage was enough, although there were times where we needed to walk ahead to be sure we knew what we were throwing at. Once your round is started, there is no quick way back to the vehicle so plan accordingly. Places to sit are very limited and there was a number of times where I needed a break after a steep climb.
Landscape- Picture perfect. This is disc golf in CO as I imagined it. Incredible views all around, epic top of the world shots, tons of animals sharing the course. It is the reason you travel to CO for dg. It is actually an easier course to navigate if you are in mediocre shape because there are less huge climbs. Everything is much more gradual (with a few tough exceptions).
Baskets- Excellent condition with no exceptions.
Cons: When we played, the teepads all had standing water in them which required us to throw from the side. It was doable but not ideal.
It definitely would have been nice to have some benches or seating along the way but not a huge deal.
As stated above, the signage could have been a bit better but as is, is functional.
This is not a con for me at all but I want to list it...there is absolutely no smoking on the course of any kind.
Other Thoughts: I left CO rating this as my second favorite course we played. It is kind of the yin to Phantom Falls' yang because it lacks all the amenities but makes up for it with a picture-perfect piece of ground to build a course on. I really had so much fun playing Bailey and I strongly encourage you to not miss this unique and special course. Also...make sure you make note of the sign at the parking lot warning you about bears and mountain lions on the course....and what to do if you are attacked. We survived our round :)

Big arm, and Technical

5+    4/19/2017   4/20/2017
Review By: trenken0103
This review was updated on 4/21/2017
Pros: This course is one of the best in the business.... One of the best in Colorado that's for sure. A great use of the land. From start to finish, the elevation changes are set up to perfection. There are not too many crazy elevation changes just gradual ups and down, with the exception of 1, 16 and 20.

The first hole is 100-yard hike uphill and the 700' Tee off, from the top of the mountain thru the valley. What a great way to start a course. Just let it rip. That's kind of the motto for the round "Grip it, and Rip it"

That's what you can say about this course. Bring your arm and be ready for a hike. The flow of the course is really nice. You don't have to worry about other golfers on other holes. Plays wide open. Lots of trees and other natural objects that make it a challenging course.

Holes 1, 16, and 20 are what I would call Bailey's signature holes, all pretty big downhills. You will find other holes that you fall in love with, these ones will just stick in your mind.

The way it's set up the hike from hole to hole isn't going to wear you out. Also, it's really well marked. Different use of pin placements in trees and set nicely in rock patterns. Easy to navigate.
Cons: Every course has something it can improve on, but this is almost flawless. Nothing too much. I love this course.

Watch out for the cow pies.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone looking for a challenge. Grip it and rip it. Great hike. Enjoy your round.

Compared to Conifer, I think this course is a little bit more spread out and you have the opportunity to really use your driver on just about every hole.

Pay to play.

Usually not too busy.

Pack it in, Pack it out.

Excellent Mountain Course

1    8/23/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: markmcc
Pros: Bailey DGC is a semi-open mountain course that offers a lot of variation in hole length (220' - 700') with three epic "top of the world" holes.

There are a few holes that required an accurate drive through trees, but the majority are long and semi-open and favor a big arm. On a hole-by-hole basis I was surprised at how many of the holes played essentially flat or with modest elevation change.

Hole 1, and especially Holes 16 and 23 were giant downhill drives that really stand out. Each drives down into a cleared meadow so finding your disc(s) is easy, but the opportunity to crank your drive out there and watch it drop 100'+ is great.

There were some interesting basket placements in boulder piles and near fencelines that created challenging greens. Some of the baskets are on sloping ground and present challenging roll away potential.
Cons: The biggest con is the natural tee pads. While they are large and flat, they are also lumpy and bumpy, and a bit slick when damp.

Tee signs were helpful, but not great. Each sign was a crop from an overall course map and some showed as many 4 holes in the diagram. With no holes labeled in the diagram it was a little confusing.

On some holes it was tough to determine where to throw (no numbers on baskets) The Hole 5 map (and course notes) indicate a dogleg right around an aspen grove. After my second drive(600' hole) I spent a lot of time looking for a basket to my right, but finally threw straight ahead to a basket that had been in view all along. With no basket number I couldn't be sure, but the next tee sign was for Hole 6 so I guess I played it correctly.

Didn't love the start. Hiking 80' up a hillside and then turning around and throwing back down to the bottom seemed odd. Why not play up the hill and then back down?
Other Thoughts: I think that comparisons to the nearby Beaver Ranch course are inevitable, so here I go. The Bailey DGC is:
- Longer
- More open
- Less elevation (with the exception of the three big downhill holes)
- Less finished

Since I don't have a big arm and like wooded courses I preferred the Beaver Ranch course, but this one was still excellent.

Amazing

1    7/23/2016   7/23/2016
Review By: Parataxis
Pros: Everything.
Long bomber drives.
Good mix of uphill and downhill drives.
Good selection of tree runs.
Beautiful setting.
Best in the area for the price (please actually donate $5!)
Cons: I'm really scratching my head on this one... I guess the one thing that comes to mind is the tees. I actually am happy that they're not cement (this is a mountain course after all) but some have gotten a touch eroded.
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing. It has wide open downhill drives that will make you grin as soon as you take them in, short tree runs, long tree runs... I think I found my favorite course in the front range, hands down.

Tee Pads would put this course over the top

1    7/3/2016   7/3/2016
Review By: jcardozo
Pros: A great mix of elevation change holes, tight fairway shots, birdie opportunities, and a few wide open shots. This course was challenging but absolutely beautiful. Signs pointing to the next hole are very helpful and the course is well maintained with no real disc losing opportunities. I rate it higher than beaver ranch for that reason... plus, better mountain views!
Cons: First of all, as the title suggests, there are no cement tee pads. Tees are clearly defined but can get a little slippery/muddy after a rain day. Secondly, I'd advise you to go with someone who has played before. A couple shots dog leg in a way that makes the pin impossible to see from the tee. Walk it out if you're unsure!
Other Thoughts: This pay to play is definitely worth it but bring exact change. There's no guy collecting money (and therefore you can't get change). it's just a lockbox.

jaw dropping views

1    9/13/2015   9/14/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: what a great view you have while playing. not sure what that knob is called, but it makes a great backdrop to some awesome disc golf. I had the place to myself on a sunday, which I thought was really strange considering how great this place is, but I didn't mind one bit. 1,16,20 are huge bomber holes mixed in with a bunch of short to average length, technical holes. gladly donated $5 to play here
Cons: the map and hole length info doesn't match up on a few holes, #5 in particular, map shows dogleg right and 350', but it is straight and probably 400+. the walk up to hole one is brutal for someone that lives at sea level, but it makes for possibly the most epic starting hole in dg.
Other Thoughts: I would give it a 4.75 if I could, but can't justify 5/5 after playing beaver the other day

Simply awesome.

1    9/11/2015   9/11/2015
Review By: coonmanx
Pros: Awesome scenery. Well laid out holes. Drove up from Colorado Springs to play this and Beaver Ranch. Bailey won the day. Each hole seems well laid out and makes you think. A great course.
Cons: None really. Maybe one cheesy basket but who cares? This is the real deal.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play it again.

Epic Disc Golf

1    7/8/2015   9/9/2015
Review By: k9disc
Pros: Huge elevation changes. Spectacular views.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to back off on your overstable discs here. They don't fly well at elevation. You should be in good shape as well. The mountain hike is physically challenging.

Long Bomb Mountain Course

1    6/6/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: SteLaG
Pros: Awesome mountain course that pretty much has it all. Lots of super long bombs that really make the course a challenge. A lot of the pins are tucked into these really cool natural rock formations. These types of holes really make the course a special place. This course was one of the more challenging courses I have ever played, but I consider that a good thing.
Cons: I realize that the course is newer, but I am not huge fan of the dirt tee pads. Some of the tee pads have already eroded away which makes this course even more challenging than it already is. For a course this long something more permanent should really be installed. They have no way of checking that anyone has actually payed to play the course. One sign says something about a donation and another says $5.00 to play, which one is it? If they really want to charge people they should make it clear, and have some sort of envelope system that gives you a receipt. Besides the tee pads the course really has no cons.
Other Thoughts: This course is awesome, but it could be better with some minor updates. They should really get that pay box situation figured out so they can actually generate the money to make the improvements. If people read the sign as a donation, I doubt they will put any money. If they read it as I have to pay to play and I get this receipt to prove it, they will make much more money and the course will be better off. I hope whoever manages this course can fix the situation. It has potential to be a very special place!

One of the best Rocky Mtn courses around!

5+    4/12/2015   4/20/2015
Review By: gratefulart
Pros: +Shot diversity. After a hike up to the tee on hole 1 to get your blood running, an epic steep down hill cliff shot awaits you. Then immediately your approach shot to the pin is uphill and into the woods. After hole 1, which is usually played as a par 4, hole 2 is a tightly wooded, low canopy hole that some can reach with a putter. The entire course changes continuously in this way. No way you can get bored. 3 different cliff shots. Open fields. Tight woods. Up and over, low canopy. Its all there. Even straight up hill near the end to test your stamina.
+Fairways do not overlap
+Baskets. In good condition. Catch well. Level in their placements. Strategic, challenging, and visible in their placements as well.
+Big arms come one come all. The O.B. around the course is the fence line on certain holes that occasionally come into play. But most of the course plays long. More holes than not give you the ability to stretch out your drives, which isn't that common for playing up in steep altitude.
+It is easy to omit holes if you are in a hurry or whatever. Multiple locations on the course allows you to skip holes without have to hike excessively to reach your desired tee.
+Elevation change. Stretch your legs, you will be in for a hike.
+Mountain views. Epic to say the least. I don't need to explain why such views make disc golf more enjoyable.
+Easy to navigate course. Go yellow arrows!
+Clean +Nice people +Dogs are allowed +Near the highway
Cons: -NO SEASON PASSES ?!? As a local who lives 7 minutes away, I could and sometimes do play this course 4-5 times a week. That will get unreasonably costly over the year. thats easily over $50 a month! Something needs to be done about this, for locals at the least.
-Tee pads. They really aren't all that bad unless it rains heavy. But put some concrete tee pads on this course and it will be easily be one of the best courses in the state if it isn't already.
-No smoking/ drinking policy. I understand it is part of school property, but it's still nice to burn one when you want and/or drink a beer if desired.
Other Thoughts: I don't think its fair to add "Windy" to the con list since it is common, especially in Colorado. But the wind here is often extreme. So bring all your disc and equip your bag when you assess the wind after you get there.
This is the most challenging course for me up in this area. Be prepared for your skill to be put to the test. Have fun!

< Prev 1 2 3 4