College Park, MD
Calvert Road Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #11 (Taken 10/2013)
Hole #11 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Great beginner / intermediate course

5+    12/13/2018   1/26/2019
Review By: ndelnano
Pros: This was my home course in college; I've played 58 rounds.
- Front 9 holes are a bit short (with 2-3 exceptions), but playing from the blue tees will still bring a challenge
- Love the back 9, blue tees are challenging...although the course is very flat overall
- Impossible to lose a disc! I lost 1 ever there. The course has no brush except for the edges which are wooded.
- Layout -- very good use of space and the course provides the illusion that you're in a much bigger park / wooded area than you are
Cons: - Some holes are too short even from the blues (1,10,15). The blues on these holes are equal or less than 10 feet behind the white tees. But they're the shortest holes on the course, and variety is the spice of life :)
- A pro would be disappointed with the # of holes that allow straight lines for drives. I play recreationally so I'm OK with this
Other Thoughts: This course has a special place in my heart; great place to relax and play a casually challenging round!

Great for bringing along first timers! I've had a few friends fall in love with dg on this course. It's forgiving to mistakes.

Imo 11 and 14 are the toughest holes on the course (blue tees). 11 is long (450ft or so) and has a dog leg to the left. Could never manage a birdie on this one. 14 tee allows a straight drive but has a tough mando requiring a bend to the right 20-30ft before the hole.

good course for a beginner

2-4    1/21/2019   12/31/2018
Review By: DumfriesLizzie
This review was updated on 1/22/2019
Pros: My rating is relative to others that I have played. Don't get me wrong: I do like this course and shall play it regularly, I believe.

Very pretty park setting. Flat. Big trees to deal with but not discouraging. Even though many baskets are tucked behind trees.

No underbrush in the fairways. There is such along the edges, and there is a creek to remember.

I have now played all 18 holes. There is a subtle variety among the holes, and the confidence-building no. 18 is enough to bring one back: one can make a full-throw drive straight down the pike. I managed to par it in December.
Cons: Holes do overlap one another, so if busy (sort of was the first time I played), we can be upon one another.

Was muddy all over in December (icy ponds all over in January). Wear hiking boots or the like. There are little footbridges hither and yon. Use them even it means walking more.

I was less impressed with the signage than others. Would have appreciated a course map on the bulletin board in the parking lot. If not here on this website!

Other Thoughts: I'm leaving the previous rating of 2.5. The front half isn't more impressive than the back nine that I played in December 2018. I think the pars are too high. While it's encouraging to a newbie, it's too much credit for such short holes. The 5s should be 4s at the highest. The rest should be 3s.

The course is very conveniently located for DC and MD residents. And a nice stop on the way somewhere else for VA residents. My GPS took me to the wrong location in December, but I ultimately found it. In January, I also figured out that the left turn at Campus Drive (then turn right on Riverside) is a safer left turn than off Kenilworth (left) onto Old Calvert. This is from traveling north on Kenilworth.

In December, I brought along my rather non-athletic sisters. One actually played 5 of the holes with me. The other enjoyed the walk and took pictures. Something for everyone.

1    5/27/2018   5/28/2018
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Calvert Road is one of only a couple courses inside the Beltway (and the only 18-hole track). Due to the scarcity of courses, it's one of the only options if you're in DC and also worth checking out. It's a trip back in time with old school pars and 18 holes crammed into a small, park-style property.

+ East navigation for newbies: tee signs with layouts, yardage, and tee/basket combinations; Next Tee signs; holes are so close together, it's pretty tough to get lost anyway

+ Big mature trees are the obstacles on every hole

+ Decent mix of lines needed: hyzer, anhyzer, flick, Dead straight

+ Good use of mandos to make the course more challenging and to attempt to help with safety (close proximity to other holes)

+ Excellent concrete tee pads

+ Pretty, park-style course and well maintained
Cons: While this is a fun time machine course and one of the precious few tracks to play in DC, it's pretty limited and would not be a standout in most cities with more options.

- Old baskets, tough to spot from the tee

- Huge drainage issues. Try not to play after rain as the mud is universal and there is standing water on much of the course.

- If you play here on a busy day, have your head on a swivel. Holes are jammed in here and errant shots can easily skip a fairway...or two...or three.

- No elevation to work with

- No standout holes

- This isn't really a negative, and some reviewers have even listed it as a positive, but the old school pars are kind of silly. I played a below average round and finished with 7 birdies and 4 eagles! Hahaha. This is really a par 54 course with a low 40s SSA...not a par 67 course. lol
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Worth playing if you're in DC. It's a time machine to early 1980s disc golf. It will challenge beginners to intermediate players.

The must play in DC

1    7/16/2017   11/28/2017
Review By: pmay5
This review was updated on 1/26/2019
Pros: Nice, large multiple tee pads on every hole. All have 2 and most holes have 3.
Good baskets, all are labeled.
Large, old-growth trees throughout the course provide plenty of obstacles but without the undergrowth that hides your discs. Mandos are also used to create challenge and for safety.
Not much chance of losing a disc here, maybe on the backside and right of #18.
Several par 4s and a couple of par 5s on this rather small property.
Both nines start and end at the parking lot, so you could start on either, if crowded.
The locals seemed very friendly and active in course upkeep.
Cons: If this course is crowded, I could see it being an issue. Relatively small piece of property with several parallel fairways.
Didn't see any water or drinks at the start, restrooms appeared to be nearby.
Other Thoughts: No real signature hole on the course, but they found a way to lay out a couple of long holes, #7 and especially #18 are fun to play.
This was my first course in MD and the oldest course in the state. I've had it on my wishlist for a couple of years, since a previous trip to DC when I didn't get to play it.
Very nice to play a course this old that is kept in good shape and still plenty of challenge. You can tell the local Parks dept and/or locals keep the course up.
The locals were taking a break the day I was there, so I played with a guy from the Czech Republic. He was in town visiting relatives and always plays Calvert on his visits there. Kind of fitting that I run into a European player while playing in DC! He was interesting to talk to, hearing about the Euro courses, tournaments he's attended and FINALLY finding out to pronounce - "Kono-piss-tea"!
I had this course in mind when planning the family vacation this year, this was #97 on my final four countdown to 100 courses played!

great for beginners and practice rounds

1    7/18/2017   7/18/2017
Review By: globetrotter
This review was updated on 7/20/2017
Pros: - Great variety given the (lack of) terrain.
- Multiple tee pads on every hole.
- Great for a quick round.
- Beginner friendly.
Cons: - Short and flat.
- Fairways overlap in places.
- Does not drain well and will be wet in places if it has rained recently.
Other Thoughts: Calvert is a fun course. Surprisingly so when you look at what they had to work with. The course is flat and short. I see some reviews describe this course as wooded, but I would describe it more as a park style course. There are never a lot of trees on any given hole, but the ones that are there always seem to be perfectly placed to provide a little extra challenge or to force a different shot. Again, given how flat and open this course is, the variety is impressive.
It's an older course, built before high speed drivers were available. At some point long tees were added. In my experience, when long tees are added to a shorter course the longs are rarely as good as the original design, but in this case I think it was well done. The biggest issue is that it increase the amount of overlapping fairways, which is already an issue.
Overall, I think it's a solid course. I find myself throwing a variety of shots, including the occasional roller. There are short ace runs and some longer holes as well. It's very beginner friendly. The short tees will be playable for anyone, and there is really nowhere to worry about losing a disc. It also makes for a quick round.
As other have mentioned, there are many, many mandatories marked on trees throughout the park. Following the advice from a previous review, I typically will ignore the ones painted in white only (there are a lot of these. However, the mandos marked with black and orange are important from a safety perspective, and should always be used.
The biggest issue with the park is that with so many holes packed into a small area, there are a lot of fairways that play right alongside each other or that overlap in places (especially from the long tees). This can be a bit of a safety concern and can lead to some backups if the course is busy. Other than that, though, I think it's a great park.

Good beginner course

5+    4/14/2017   4/23/2017
Review By: bubba0077
Pros: Flat and shortish. A decent number of trees, but nothing dense and no underbrush except along the periphery. Course makes okay use of what trees there are. Little risk of losing a disc.

Concrete tee pads and well-kept grass. Officially three tee positions, but many of the white/blue are shared. Also three pin positions, but I haven't played it regularly enough yet to know how often they are switched.
Cons: Many of the arrows marking manditories are faded and difficult to see from the tee, which leads you to look out from the tee questioning whether that discoloration is a faded arrow or just a shadow.

Flat area near creeks, so drainage is poor, leaving some areas muddy or with standing water. Not too bad, but can be a nuisance on several holes.

Lack of real trouble means good players will not find it challenging.

Density of course and lack of substantial tree demarcation means holes sometimes interfere with each other.
Other Thoughts: Short, relatively open old-school course great for beginners and other low-level rec players. As the only 18-hole course inside the beltway, it still is interesting enough for a more experienced player to get in a quick round, even if it won't blow anyone away.

Nice small course

2-4    9/1/2015   9/1/2015
Review By: GreenFieldsDC
Pros: Great, tight course with excellent markers for layout. Tee boxes are clean, course is very well maintained. Nice mix of trees and open alleys. You could play this course with three discs if you wanted.
Cons: Course is flat, and might get crowded on Sunday double days. Some crossover between holes with fairways.
Other Thoughts: I played 27 holes on a sunny Saturday afternoon and nearly had the course to myself. I live in DC and this is easily the best course nearest to the city. Metro accessible from CP station, too.

I'll be back

1    8/30/2015   8/30/2015
Review By: deadheadmon
Pros: The baskets are all in great shape on this course, as are the signs and directional aids. You can tell the designers tried to make the most of the space alloted to them.
Cons: As others have mentioned, the course is basically flat and the holes are pretty short. It's not going to blow anyone's mind and isn't super challenging, but the shots still need to be thrown and puts need to be made.
Other Thoughts: I recently moved to the area and this is the closest course to where I live. Despite the issues this is a fun little course that I will be happy to play as often as I can. A "meh" disc golf course is better than lots of other ways to spend your time!

Oldest in MD

2-4    2/7/2015   2/7/2015
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: The oldest course in Maryland and it still delivers some good kicks. The only thing that is age-apparent is the shorter distance of many holes. Otherwise, the baskets and tees (and the course in general) are in lovely condition!

The course makes an intermediate like myself feel good about their game. It plays through mature deciduous trees and short grass. It's just open enough to allow them to fly, but the trees provide many adequate challenges. Also, two to three tee pads per hole offer extra angles and distances.

Extra props for their navigation aids - wooden arrows mounted on the baskets to point you to the next tee. The DGA baskets all have gold number plates on top which are really helpful (wish all courses have these!).

The designers were creative with the space - often offering multiple options to attack the hole off the tee. Hole #14 is really interesting - a double mando that encourages a backhand flex shot. If your disc doesn't flex left at the end, a creek bed will be waiting for your disc. I know some think this type of thing is gimmicky, but with almost every hole giving players multiple options off the tee, I found it refreshing.
Cons: The course is really crammed together and though they have tried to separate the fairways with mandos, it's not enough. The worst of these is that hole 17's tees jut out into 11's fairway, and #5 blue tee is right off the edge of #1's green.

Almost completely flat.

I felt that, other than the numerous mandos, there was no punishment for shots that strayed off the fairway (due to the openness of the course.
Other Thoughts: Since I don't get out here very often, I decided to give myself the greatest variety (and fun) by rotating tee pads every hole. The Reds (easiest) yielded more birdies, and the whites and blues (often sharing the same tee pad) yielded a wider range of scores for me.

As previously mentioned by the Valkyrie Kid, many pars listed on the signs were 4's! I think this is due to the days of low speed discs, or perhaps there were more trees back in 1980!

DG in DC

1    1/25/2015   2/2/2015
Review By: wannabparked
Pros: Easy to get to if you are visiting DC. I was just able to get 18 in before Sunday doubles. The mandos make the course interesting by require a variety of shots. You do not need very many discs. I played the course with 4 discs. Tee pads are concrete and in good shape and size. This is not a course where you need a huge run up. Most of my throws were from a standstill. Local players were friendly and helpful. Directed us to the next ho)-
Cons: Course was very muddy and had some huge puddles (standing water). I had to fish my disc out with a long stick. Bring an extra pair of shoes. Also holes very close together.
Other Thoughts: Changed rating from 2.5 to 3. I do not want to discourage anyone from playing this course. It was a fun little course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6