Baltimore, MD
Uploaded By: turbo Hole #16

Nice variety

1    5/23/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: First I should note that I only played the "normal" 18, I did not have the time to play the extra holes. I saw several of them and they looked like great advanced wood holes, but I can't really say more than that. So, my review only concerns the 18.

The course has many creative holes that force a lot of shot variety. The elevation is used well throughout the course along with the woods. Everything (except the one mangled basket) is in okay repair: the standards do the job and the tee signs, though faded, provide the par, length, and hole diagram information you need. The course isn't hard to follow except for a couple places where the tees are on the sidewalk without tee signs.

There are "metal" and "wood" tees that do not seem to follow the normal red/white/blue differentiations of distance and challenge, they looks more to be just a different way to play the hole. There are also multiple pin positions so there seems to be plenty of replayability here.

The course has the feel of a quick, fun round for an advanced player and a great course for beginners to work on their skills. I played on a Thursday night when they have that Triples event and all of the locals were cool and even let me play in the middle of their event.
Cons: Parking is lacking, most people park along the street that runs between the two nines. The tee signs are sometimes missing and occasionally feel a bit inaccurate. For better players, if your game is on, this course is a lot of easy birdie opportunities so may not be enough of a challenge (again, this is excluding the extra holes).

18 or 27?

2-4    5/8/2009   5/9/2009
Review By: Scoopy
Pros: concrete pads, beautiful land, nice rolling elevation changes, the option to play 18 or 27 and mix it up a little, awesome atmosphere, locals were supercool, good mix of shot selection, nice practice area
Cons: singage could be updated, looked a little worn out, no trash cans or benches, trash was scattered in the woods
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a pretty fun course to play. Nice mix of open and tight shots in the woods. The X-holes are nice to use to switch up your rounds and play the course in different ways. The course is layed out very well. I will definitely play this course any time I am in Baltimore!!

B+ for Bery Bery Nice Urban Course

1    7/19/2005   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

One of my first courses played

5+    10/30/2008   1/30/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: Multiple Tees and Pins
well Maintained
Decent signs and teepads
Nice use of elevation
Large mature trees occupy the plot that was formerly part of the Baltimore Zoo - so it is very pleasing to the eye.
Beginner friendly, but also has the flexibility to provide a nice challenge for pro level players.
Very little impact from other park users - fairly isolated in terms of user groups.
Cons: Not such a good neighborhood - but surprisingly isolated so that neighborhood impacts are minimized.Still, be sure and lock your car and stow your valuables.
No bathrooms or water.
Other Thoughts: I reall enjoy this course. It's an easy walk, and has some beautiful holes. Not terribly difficult, but definitely fun. The locals run an interesting format called TNT (Thursday Night Triples) during the summer months, that gives newer players the opportunity to be teamed up w/local pros in a fun competitive atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit if your passing through Baltimore.

Cherry Spring

5+    8/6/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Multiple tees and pins. Great selection of fun, demanding shots with rolling hills, mature trees, and lefty friendly. Good mix of length and variety in a beautiful setting. Great local scene on Thursday nights (TNT). The long tees are especially challenging, although blind at times.
Cons: The neighborhood is a bit sketchy, although I never had any troubles in the 3.5 years and roughly 50 times I played there.
Other Thoughts: Unforgettable in the Spring when the cherry blossoms are in full glory.

Good Use of Features

5+    11/26/2008   11/27/2008
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 12/7/2009
Pros:
Multiple pin locations. Multiple tee locations. Concrete/asphalt tee pads. Fairly natural flow. Multiple practice baskets. Area to "air it out" during warm-ups.
Cons:
No bathrooms. Non-golfing walkers ... with dogs ... who answer nature's call ... and the owners leave it instead of cleaning/removing it!
Fairly open - makes good use of the few OB-areas, and gently flowing landscape. Good use of the trees - large ones with annoying branches to interrupt direct flight paths on most holes

Playing from the alternate tees, in addition to increasing the distance, will require more (an)hyzer shots

Updating the signage, and putting next-tee arrows at each basket would be nice

Favourite hole #6:From atop a hill, throw directly across the top between large trees, then will your disc to turn right, then left, and drop, while it is going down the hill, hopefully landing in a small clearing not far from the basket.

Update 6/27/09: Played the X-holes for the first time today - must have the map to find them! Never found the tee "pad" for X-2 and X-9. Very wooded compared to the "standard" 18 holes. Lots of trash, mostly bottles, in the woods. Walk from X-6 ) or X-3, depending upon your sequence of play) to standard-7 is a bit long. Numbering is a bit off - trust the map.

Update Oct-09: New signs at tees make it easier to see/envisage the basket location.

Home away from home

5+    11/12/2008   11/20/2008
Review By: Disctoad
Pros: Varied terrain and pin placements make DHDGC a real gem! Long to long this track is pretty tough. Add the X-holes and you've got your work cut out. Concrete tees, well marked, easy to follow. o.b. in play -- some locals play the new JFT as an OB line on holes 2,3,and 4 making holes 3 and 4 much tighter.
Other Thoughts: #15 long to B might be my favorite hole in MD. Glo golf at the hill is fun an amazingly safe! TNT (Thurs. nite triples) is da bomb!

X-Holes add versatility

5+    4/1/2012   11/14/2008
Review By: turbo
This review was updated on 5/21/2014
Pros: Convenient layout with parking between front and back 9s. Always a game on any given day. Several great roller holes. Great drainage-even after heavy rain. All holes have 3 or more alternating basket locations. Extra targets allow placing two targets on several (alternating) holes.
Cons: Dog walkers are on the rise. Some players bring dogs along. Most are careful to clean up after their pets.
Other Thoughts: The course is in Metro Baltimore, but the course, itself, is in an idyllic setting. A recent review cited a holdup of two disc golfers at the course. The robberies were part of a crime spree by a group of teenagers in the general area - not specifically targeting the disc golf course. The crooks were caught two days later as their spree spread through north Baltimore. This was the 1st robbery I can recall at the Druid Hill DGC.

The original 9 X-holes (wooded) are being expanded (currently 15) and add versatility to the course, allowing golfers to add some x-holes to the regular round.

Nice variety!

1    11/2/2008   11/2/2008
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Good layout and variety for the first 18 holes. Nice concrete tees and baskets. Lots of elevation changes and trees that make it just difficult enough. Fairly hard to lose a disc here. Lots of space off the tee to air out on most holes. Fairly good hole maps on the tees.

The 9 X holes are like another course back in the woods and offer more difficulty.
Cons: The X holes are a bit confusing as the numbers are mostly wrong and the baskets and tees are not as nice. Lots of broken glass on the X holes. Hole X9 tees off from the pavement and into the woods and into the basket marked 16. The X holes are split so that after hole 4 you start X1-X6 then go back to hole 5. Then after hole 12, X7-X9 is on the right side of the woods and brings you back to hole 13.

Signs for the next tee are very small. The tees do not let you know which way to tee off from. Some paint on the tee off side would be nice. No benches. Lack of hazards and OB.
Other Thoughts: The first 18 look easier than the are. The X holes look more intimidating, but aren't that bad. I thought I would be looking for my discs for a while, but never had a problem here. I could see the sun being a problem in the summer. Druid reminds me of a smaller Codorus. This was a fun course and will be back for more!

Home is where the Disc is

5+    1/3/2008   10/25/2008
Review By: lxdawg25
This review was updated on 11/29/2010
Pros: Great challenging course has a little bit of everything, Friendly people, Great Atmosphere,
X-Holes are great when you want to play a longer round, good for beginners and experts
This course has some great hole design with challenges for all different types of throwers. Playing this course as often as I have has helped me to develop a full and complete game. The concrete tee pads are a luxury that I did not realize this course had until I started visiting other courses. Great elevation changes and very nicely wooded. I usually opt out of the X-Holes to play 2 rounds in a row. Since moving away I've come to realize how important a good home course is. The variety in basket positions also adds to a nice challenge. It should also be stated that on a windy day this course plays very differently which will have you rethinking all of your normal shots.
Cons: Can be really frustrating on a bad day, Some pin locations are just devastating. I like to keep track of my scores and if my game is off just a little bit I'll go from shooting 3 over to something in the area of 15 or 16 over. Sometimes on the nice days it can be a bit too crowded. If your playing solo or in a small group you'll find yourself running up behind the groups of "old salts" a lot that travel in large packs and tend to throw multiple shots.
Other Thoughts: This is the reason I love Disc Golf, this course is just beautiful, great scenery great fun, great people, I started at this course and it keeps on challenging me today, inspires lots of creative shot types too. This will almost always be the standard by which I judge all other courses, and if I'm within 50 miles I will find a way to go play.