Baltimore, MD

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Great Course, some poor etiquette

5+    8/26/2017   8/30/2017
Review By: Flessan
Pros: Great course, well maintained. Some holes in the woods, others in an open field with trees. Multiple targets per hole giving more options for multiple rounds.
Cons: Most of the players here are great. Sometimes there will be a group of 6 people, playing 2 discs each on multiple cups per hole, big group and slow play. They never offered to let anyone play through and took longer per shot than you would be penalized at any event.

Also people changing the course and cutting in front of you to throw multiple discs (again poor etiquette). If you want to mash up the course, that is totally cool as long as you cut behind the people on the actual pattern.
Other Thoughts: Guys, act like you have played before. Show some etiquette and have fun. 95% of the people on this course are great, but the 5% make it feel weird. I get they have sponsored swag and expensive gear, hurray! Let faster groups play through, like everyone else.

the original Druid Hill course

5+    8/9/2017   8/9/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Pros: - dual baskets and tees
- good variety and flow
- mix of hole lengths and shot types
Cons: - overlapping / cramped fairways, especially on the back nine
Other Thoughts: Druid Hill - Legacy is the oldest (and in my opinion the best) course at Druid hill Park, a facility that now has three 18-hole courses (and apparently there is talk about adding a fourth). I think it is an excellent park style course. There are a variety of hole lengths and types, including some big open drives (with enough OB and obstacles to require some degree of accuracy) and some tight straight shots as well. There is some elevation change, a variety of different challenges (distance, accuracy, touchy landings, shot-shaping, etc.).

The course now has dual tees and baskets on every hole, and they change the angle or shape of the holes enough that the short to long and long to short layouts play quite differently. The short to short layout is very suitable to beginners. The short to long and long to short layouts are challenging enough for advanced players. I haven't played the long to long layout yet, so I won't comment on it.

The biggest issue with the course is the overlap that occurs on the back nine. There is one area with multiple tees and fairways and basket positions on top of each other. At best it can lead to backups in play, and at worst it can be a safety hazard.

But overall I think the legacy course is very good. In my opinion it is one of the best courses in Maryland. With three courses on site, it is well worth a visit.

Not My Favorite

1    9/15/2016   9/20/2016
Review By: Strax Sontaran
Pros: Pretty wide open play, so it would be difficult to lose a disc here. I'm sure those intimately familiar with the course really like the fact that there are multiple baskets per hole (I did not, see my comment in "cons"). Some pretty good elevation challenges which is refreshing after playing flatter courses.
Cons: The course has no *actual* parking, so we parked along the street. This seems to be the way to do it, as several other players did the same.

I haven't been playing long, so I was a bit surprised that I didn't see a par rating on any sign. Is every hole a Par 3? Seems unlikely, especially when considering the longer baskets. As such, for the score-keeper app, we chose to use our judgement and allocate pars as we saw fit. Turns out every one is a par 5 and I shot -32. That's a joke. Many are legitimate Par 3's, but some, we thought, were probably 4, and made them such.

Our biggest challenge came from navigating the course. We even had a friend with us who had played the course before, and we still had problems with determining which basket we were shooting for, and with course flow. On the other courses I have played, if the next tee pad wasn't obvious, there were signs indicating direction. No such thing at this course. As such, we found ourselves walking from pad to pad on a couple of occasions.
Other Thoughts: With repeated play, this could be a good course, but for new players, who drove from southern NJ for a disc golf day in Baltimore, we were underwhelmed.

Awesome Disc golf park

1    8/12/2016   8/12/2016
Review By: illinoisdiscgolf
Pros: Being from Illinois I had no idea about any courses in Baltimore so when I saw this was only 10 minutes from my hotel i couldn't be more excited. Course was great with multiple tee pads and baskets. A little confusing playing with no knowledge of the course but would have been awesome to get to know.

Follow me on instagram- @illinoisdiscgolf

Urban park, flexible course

1    5/27/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: MarkN
This review was updated on 12/10/2015
Pros: Based on reviews here and my limited experience here, there's a strong DG community here - probably the busiest course I've ever played and that was during a drizzly weekday midafternoon with storms looming. When we arrived to course, we were welcomed by an older gentleman who proceeded to "indoctrinate" us to the course and gave us a hand drawn map. He also gave us some throwing tips after seeing my less-than-stellar drive on the first hole (in my defense, it was my first time throwing in 2 years).
The course flows through grassy park with interspersed trees. Several holes are blind. I imagine that I could play a slightly different course each time with two concrete tee boxes ("metal" & "wood") and two targets at each hole (I think each hole had two targets, may be mistaken) and multiple hole locations.
We did not have time to play the 9 X holes in the woods.
Cons: Sometimes not clear where target is, though there is a map at the "metal" tee and a system identifying which hole placement the basket is in using a pipe clamp on the sign post. And finding next tee not always clear. See Links/Files tab here for course maps. Road (OB) potentially in play on a few holes for errant tossers.
Can be crowded with DGers and others walking through. Given location and activity in/around park, I'll be mindful when I play.
Other Thoughts: Update - this has become one of our go to courses this season. We generally play the "metal" (short) tees to the yellow baskets which are in the longest position but easiest to see because the old Mach5 baskets blend in. I haven't found distance and par info for several of these holes. I've come to really like this course. Given it's park setting, it offers as much variety as is possible, takes advantage of elevation and obstacles. There are good challenges but also several birdie opportunities.

Navigational Nightmare

1    4/24/2015   4/24/2015
Review By: HawaiiJack
Pros: New X-holes add variety ("X" holes are marked as X (9 total), OH (3 total), and NX (6 total)). Crude but effective hand painted maps at the X tees help you locate the many blind baskets. Nice folf tips on the main course tee signs. Lots of irregulars hang out at the start and can provide advice.
Cons: There is no obvious flow to the course, particularly with the addition of the many new X holes. The main course is sorely lacking in Next Tee signs at the baskets and hole numbering on the baskets, though these have been placed on the 18 new X holes.
The main course has two tee pads and two baskets per hole, confusingly called Wood and Metal. There are up to 5 pin positions per hole and the view from a tee pad typically takes in 4 or more baskets, unnumbered and possibly not for that tee. The intended baskets are often a blind shot. A vague system of hose clamps on a pole is intended to provide guidance.
Other Thoughts: If you backtrack from the #2 X hole basket to the "More Holes" sign you can follow well marked trails to OH holes #1 - 3 and you will emerge near the tee for X hole #3. Walk up the paved road to reach the alternate X hole #3 tee and further up to the primary X #3 tee.

The Sword of Damocles tree branch overhanging tee #15 creates a most unusual tee shot as conventional use of the pad is denied.

There are beaucoup opportunities for Black Aces here, if you're into that sort of thing. (each black ace is 2 off your lifetime total of aces LOL)

With the creation of excellent new courses like Turkey Hill the bar gets raised and old standard courses like this one get downrated if they don't get improved. There is a very active local club here and the course has many old quirks but also new perks. It's best to play your first couple rounds here with a local to learn the layout.
Perhaps this course should be split into two separate 18 hole courses. Either way a big improvement to the on-course navigation aids is needed to balance all the fine work put into the new X holes.

Nice Course

1    1/10/2014   1/6/2015
Review By: B Stone
Pros: Multiple baskets, placements, and tees for each hole. Well maintained and clean course. Pretty easy to navigate, especially if you grab a map from one of the "regulars" who sit by the first tee and offer tips and advice.
Cons: A couple of the holes are near a fairly busy road. Some of the tee pads could use some work.
Other Thoughts: Visiting from CA, I played this course with my brother. Really enjoyed the course and the round we threw. Hope to come back and throw this course a few more times.

Decent Course in sketchy area

5+    5/9/2014   5/10/2014
Review By: MarkNizzle
This review was updated on 3/24/2016
Pros: This has been one of my favorite courses since playing in 2010, It is always well kept, baskets move around every few weeks, good replay value and a feel good course after a bad round elsewhere, I normally would schedule a round at Druid .IMO this place has the best disc golf vibe in MD. played here many times and often hang out after rounds to putt and socialize with other players.
Cons: I haven't been back since 5/2014 when a van with 4 black males drove into the parking lot and ran up on me and another player at the putting basket with guns. We both outran the attackers but had our disc golf bags taken, we both had our keys in our gear and the other player also had his wallet in his bag and just cashed his paycheck. The group was caught about 2 weeks later and prosecuted. This is a rougher part of the city and I have always been on edge around this area.Our incident happen so fast its hard to hold that against the course.
Other Thoughts: be on lookout for non disc golf players on the fields, be smart and safe! I would consider playing this course with a small group of people, or going on the random doubles events.

Druid Hill

5+    7/25/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: PapiChullo
Pros: Even though I'm in the county, Druid is the place I drive to and play at least twice a week. It's the best course in the Baltimore area, IMO.

- Multiple tee pads and baskets. The baskets get changed pretty regularly, so there's always a new challenge out there. Concrete tee pads are in great shape.
- Great place to introduce new players to the game. It has plenty of opportunities to score for better players, but is manageable enough for beginners to not get them discouraged.
- Few holes where you can get out and bomb it.
- Island green on the 18th is an option, but fun to play and has the potential to be the difference maker in a close competitive round.
- For the most part the people you come across are some of the nicest you can meet in Baltimore. Lots of older guys that have been playing the course for years that make the course great.
- Lots of practice baskets and practice space.
- Utilizes the elevation well for some uphill/downhill shots.
- 9 "X-holes" in the woods for added challenge.
- Signage on most holes and indicator for which position the basket is in.
-Parking is in between the first and last holes of each 9.
Cons: - Quite often very large groups (5+) play and can slow the course down, but generally not too bad.
- I've never had any problems in the park, but people come and chill in the back part, just can seem a little shady at times.
- X-holes are a little overgrown.
Other Thoughts: Druid is the best course in the area to hang out and meet lots of DGers of all skill levels in the area. Lot of guys that are willing to share knowlege and help out newer players. Lots of variety with the different tees and pin positions.

A couple of the holes when in the longest pin positions could probably be par 4s.

Play a round here if you're in the area!

Favorite Course to Play

5+    3/23/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: dashiellx
Pros: Excellently maintained
Beautiful Grounds
Awesome community of players
Cons: Lots of opportunities to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I played and being less than 5 mins from my home is where I play mostly. The people there are very nice and as a beginner, I've had lots of people offer tips and advice on how to improve.

< Prev 1 2 3 4