St. Louis (Mehlville), MO

Share URL:

Great Run

1    10/6/2017   10/9/2017
Review By: Rokdawg
Pros: Well kept great scenery. Good Long runs and variety of challenges. While a few holes were tucked into the shrubs a bit it was very fun.
Cons: Deer poop every where. But plenty of deer to watch while playing.Pretty much everything this day was in long. Ha dfun but over my strength.

JB is the Place to Be

1    10/26/2016   12/5/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: There are are a lot of great holes at Jefferson Barracks, bottom line. That's what is most important to me, of course, concrete tees with good signage and proper baskets like these are always a nice touch. And the combination of old grown trees and big grassy hills provides the foundation for many tricky, fun lines. There are converging 9's, if you can't fit in the entire 18 for some crazy reason. I couldn't decide between the two halves myself, all 18 is a must, no question. I understand most if not all of the holes have multiple pin locations, the configuration I played was excellent, and the versatility is an added bonus. The first hole is a nice opener that isn't too long, slightly downhill with a fair amount of trees to negotiate. Hole 2 is longer, also some drop in elevation, with a little bend toward the right and generous fairway through a few good size trees. Hole 3 is when I began to smile. Not super long, but a nice fun drive into a pocket of brushy woods on a hillside that is technical enough punish an errant throw and reward a great one. 4 is another fun throw across great contours and a fair amount of thick rough to make it hard on you if you miss the line badly. The magic continues on hole 5, with an elevated tee and a sweeping line around and over vegetation and trees. Hole 6 is ok, fairly flat and open hole with good birdie potential, and if you look directly to the left from that tee, you will see hole 7. It's a little longer than 6, also with fewer trees, sloping downhill right to left where the pin is placed. 8 runs alongside the road, which is OB, and it's a long one. Tough par 3, but not a lot of elevation or trees adding to the difficulty level. 9 is over the flat and up the hillside next to the parking lot. Kind of longish, and a couple of trees protecting the basket. 10 was really cool. The largest elevation change to this point, and my first birdie of the day. I bombed a big RHBH hyzer down the hill, and avoided the clusters of shrubs on the left side of the fairway, landing just past the tree pin high and about 20 feet from the pin. 11 is a nice hole, respectable distance and a couple big trees, with a slope running downhill if you overshoot the pin. 12 is a crazy line, downhill and then up again, with mature trees early, lots of scrubby growth at the bottom you will hopefully fly over the top of, and more trees as you climb the opposite side. I threw two drives, the first bonked and the second scrubbed out and hit bottom. I would have loved to see that perfect drive, but couldn't get it even with an extra try. Took me 6 very frustrating throws. It would be a lovely sight, maybe I can get it next time. 13 is another downhill fairway, great elevation change, and a straight shot down the middle of a few big old trees. I like these shots, and nailed this one, making a great flexing drive and a 15 foot putt for my second and final birdie of the round. As I walked to the tee at 14 a fawn leapt out of the cozy nook in the dense foliage and bounced across the grass. This hole is ok, fairway is on a significantly slant, downhill right to left, and one large tree protecting the target. 15 is a shorty, but with a lot of crap on both sides of a narrow lane, and a few branches over head also. It got me for a bogey after a terrible drive. 16 is another wild one, a tunnel shot bending a bit right over a low spot filled with thick rough. I liked this one a lot too, but took another bogey. 17 doesn't let up. It is longer than 16 but doesn't have as much elevation, and it also has a big left to right curve in the fairway. Featuring once again, several large trees, and dense undergrowth on the right side. I felt a little better about taking a 4 on this hole. 18 finishes well, and with another big flex shot around trees and over rolling slopes. The basket is tightly guarded by a shield of smaller trees with a window to approach from the right. Another one where the perfect drive is tough, but not impossible to make a birdie.
Cons: The layout is kind of choppy on the front 9, I would have liked to have a course map after hole 5, but I figured it out eventually. There are road crossings between holes 1 & 2, 5 & 6, and 7 & 8. I was able to follow the flow of the back 9 loop pretty well. There was a few spots of mud here and there. Hole 9 and 10 are kind of close together, and a throw that goes out of control could be hazardous of other players are walking the course. A couple of places where walking trails, roads, and other park users may come in close proximity to the disc golf areas. Also a little bit of litter, which may be unsightly, but will not affect play under most circumstances. PSA: throw ya garbage in the trashcan, thanks.
Other Thoughts: A perfect park for a disc golf course, and way more great holes than average ones. Weather was also nearly perfect on my visit, fortunately. Seasonally more difficult when the summer canopy is fully grown in I would guess. A lot of the leaves were beginning to fall at the time I played it. Overall, I think Jefferson Barracks is a great course, even though I didn't put up a good score. 65 with 7 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles, a triple, and 2 deuces. Not too good at all. Sure, I could do a lot better, but par of 54 is a really great score for most players here I would guess. I threw some lousy shots that day. On the other hand I had a couple of great ones also. I have wanted to get to this course since the first time I visited St. Louis in 2004. After much anticipation, I can report to you that it is pretty awesome. I am sure any time the weather is decent you will usually find some people playing here. No secret to most of the authors of dozens of reviews prior to mine, or to all of those who may have been slinging plastic in this park for a couple of decades now. St. Louis has some good things going on these days, so there's no reason not to find an excuse to plan that trip. Even if disc golf IS the reason for the trip, JB might just be worth it.

Jefferson Barracks (JB)

2-4    5/9/2016   5/9/2016
Review By: jvbh792
Pros: Bigger course with a few true par 4 holes. Very challenging tee shots. The course uses the trees it has very well (a few guardian trees, a few window shots, a few ceiling shots)

Probably the bets maintained course I've played on in St. Louis as far as consistent grass height and course marking. The flow of the course is easy to follow and pins are easy to locate.

FAVORITE PART behind hole 9 there is a liquor store that is a licensed innova store as well. Need I say more?
Cons: Lacks a true forested hole. One of the more crowded courses (because its a good course and well maintained)

Best Course in St Louis

5+    11/7/2015   11/9/2015
Review By: mdejong
Pros: First of all, this course is in a gorgeous park just outside the city of St. Louis. There aren't many pedestrians walking near the course, so you don't have to worry about them slowing you down. There is an amazing variety of elevation changes on this course, and an even better variety of wooded vs. open fairways. This course is challenging, and I always leave wishing I had some shots back. If you can only play one course in St. Louis, this should be the one.
Cons: The ground is in pretty rough shape in some places. A good bit of erosion on the hills and soft spots and holes in the fairway that could cause a rolled ankle.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's a fantastic course. I love playing it whenever I get the chance.

Beautiful Course in a Historic Park

1    5/13/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Nice concrete tee-pads
-Tee-signs are awesome and a good lay-out each hole, show all of the pin positions, length to each pin positions and have a screw to mark which pin position the basket is currently in, which makes navigation easier.
-Multiple pin-positions on each hole. Most holes seemed to have 4 or more different pin-positions, which would be nice for those who play the course a lot.
-Lots of hole variety on this course. There are open holes, some tightly wooded fairway holes. There are pin positions that are more in the open and then some more tightly wooded pin-positions.
-The course has decent amount of elevation change. Quite a few of the holes incorporate either uphill or downhill into their design.
-I never felt like this course felt repetitive and I always looked forward to stepping up to the next tee-pad to see what was in store for me next.
-Good variety of distances on this course. Depending on the pin position the hole was in, the distance ranged from the lower 200 feet range all the way to 600 feet and over.
-Good use of trees and underbrush to provide the opportunity throw a variety of shots.
-There were a lot of fun memorable holes on this course. Hole 3 was at first a open shot that then made you throw over a big thing of underbrush to a guarded pin position. Hole 15 was a laser straight shot down a tight foliage lined corridor. Hole 16 and 17 were both elevation valley shots over valleys with some underbrush to a more clear area.
-Baskets are in good shape and catch well
Cons: -Erosion is getting really bad on this course. Based on the erosion, I could tell that this course gets a lot traffic. I played this course after a rainstorm and parts of the course were really muddy due to the erosion.
-Several holes play too close to sidewalks or parking lots for comfort. On hole 8 I think it was, I almost nailed a car because the parking lot was very close to the fairway of the hole.
-While there are a lot of fun memorable holes on this course, none of them are overly challenging.
-Parts of the underbrush are a little thick and you could easily lose a disc in it.
-Some navigation issues. There are lots of tee-pads and baskets in the same area, so it is sometimes hard to know which tee-pad is next and which basket is next.
-Baskets can blend in with the foliage and they can be hard to see from the tee-pad at times.
Other Thoughts: While not the most challenging course, this course was a blast to play, with a lot of fun and memorable holes. If you are in the St. Louis area make sure you make it out to this course. This was my favorite course I played on my trip to St. Louis.

JB

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: bschuff
Pros: Great overall course.
Tons of pin locations.
Beautiful well maintained park.
Soft chains.
200 year old huge trees up and down the course.
Extremely friendly park patrons.
Safe and secure park.
Very nice tee off pads.
Cons: It floods when it rains.
Some trees are a little over grown and could use a good trimming.
Confusing to navigate for first time users of course.
Lots of vegetation make it easy to lose a disc.
Roads are very close to a few holes, make it slightly dangerous at times.
Some holes have a lot of trash around them.
The course can get quite crowded at times since it is such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: Get out there early and beat the crowds. One of my favorite courses in the metro east. Be ready to find a few peoples discs while playing and don't forget to call them if their names are on them. Highly recommended.

Jefferson Barracks

5+    7/5/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: catkiller12
Pros: 1) This course is definitely not boring. It presents so much variety. No two holes are alike, and each hole presents its own challenge(s).

2) The course is very fair and well designed. Most of the holes are challenging but not impossible. I usually have an opportunity to make at least par if not birdie.

3) Most of the course's scenery is simply beautiful. There is a lot of green and there is no shortage of trees. I find the trees quite nice (except when they get in the way of my discs) during the summer months. They provide excellent shade during a hot summer afternoon. The course is well maintained and very clean.

4) I usually go as soon as the park opens, and there aren't very many people on the course that early in the morning. When I do encounter other players, they are very friendly or at the very least, mind their own business. If I had a question, I wouldn't hesitate to ask other players on the course.
Cons: 1) The course might be a little confusing to navigate for first time players. The first time I played there my father-in-law and I were a little lost sometimes finding the next hole. The signage wasn't that great back then, but the new signs out there are a big improvement.

2) Sometimes the baskets get moved around to different pins, which is nice for the sake of variety, but sometimes I have to search around for the basket to be sure I am throwing the discs in the right direction.

3) Be careful on holes #3 and #4. Those holes have a ton of vegetation, which makes drives interesting if you make a bad first throw. I've almost lost a couple of my drivers on those holes. I did lose one driver on hole #5 so be careful when trying to toss over that heavy brush.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the St. Louis area. I am relatively new to this sport, but by playing mostly at Jefferson Barracks, I have watched my game improve dramatically. If you are a newbie, don't be afraid to play this course. It's a blast! I usually feel disappointed when I've finished hole #18. Sometimes I just have to satisfy myself with another round of 18 holes.

Probably my all-around favorite anywhere

2-4    5/18/2011   6/18/2012
Review By: Jonnykatz
Pros: Excellent layout. Challenging. Plenty of variety. Love the last tee with the basket hidden in the trees. Absolutely beautiful park. Used to run x-country here and it was my favorite place to run races also.
Cons: A little confusing for first timers. It's been a while since I played. It helped a lot when I joined up with a local player.
Other Thoughts: Probably my favorite anywhere.

Show Me State

1    5/24/2012   5/24/2012
Review By: poorredz
Pros: Well manicure city park with huge mature trees to shade most holes, even in the summer sun. The course is what you make of it,there were beginner players having fun and bypassing some of the real technical hole elements.There is plenty of room to let some shots rip and glide, and some narrow alleyways through the woods that will challenge even the straightest thrower.Lots of blind shots from the tee with no pin in sight until you get halfway down the fairway.
Cons: Every tee has a nice map with multiple pin locations listed, but no markings where the current pin is....have to walk half way to find pin before you shoot or just spray and pray. On a thurs. morning the park was empty, I needed to pair up with someone that knew the course.
Other Thoughts: One of my top courses to play...well laid out,challanging, great variety of play. The winter pictures dont do it justice, it is very beautiful in the late spring.......

Epic

1    3/3/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: This was an awesome course. Here are the pros

*Variety!!! In my opinion, this should be this course's "claim to fame." Shots of varying types on every single hole! Several holes forced you to decide if you wanted to go for it all or lay up and settle for a three, rather go for a 2 but risk getting a potential 5. Each hole has about 4 pin placements each of which are very different from the others on the same hole. If for some reason you don't like the course at a certain time of the year, try coming back in a little bit; it is likely it will play completely different.

*Upkeep... the local club has invested lots of money into this course and from what i've hear, they'll keep doing it. Nice VISIBLE signs indicating mandos!

*Elevation... very unique use of elevation when i was here. just about every had some uphill or downhill element

*Challenge. Enough trees here to force a player to have good technical shots, but enough distance here to force a player to bust out the drivers.
Cons: Flow here is bad... signage could definitely be improved. If we magically lined up the holes so that each tee pad could easily be seen from the previous pin, and made more descriptive signs, it would be a perfect course!
Other Thoughts: If the St Louis Disc Golf Club keeps up the good work and gets new tee signs, this course just might notch a 5.0. Definitely worth going out of your way for.