Carlisle, PA
Coyote Hills DGC Share
Uploaded By: KAK3990 Hole #7 (Taken 4/2014)

Great things can come in small packages

1    4/20/2018   4/20/2018
Review By: jrodkelly1
Pros: The Design on this course was really great in a lot of areas but there were a few mistakes here and there. The back 9 is almost flawless in my opinion and it really makes the course shine.

Beauty- Man this place is gorgeous it really didn't make me think so at first with hole 1, but it lowered my expectations just enough so that I could be blown away by some of the holes. Par 5 has one of the best views on a disc golf hole I've ever seen by the green. There's a steep ravine and 100 foot drop off 50 feet from the basket. It drops basically into a lush green meadow were I saw not one but at least 20 deer staring back at me it was an amazing disc golf moment with the mountains in the background. I'll never forget that. Also some of the greens on the back 9 are beautiful as well. I enjoyed 10, 13, and 16.

Signature holes- So many great holes at this course, The par 5 I think of first it comes at a perfect time in the round because there are a lot of par 3's that are very similar on the front 9. Hole 2, 6, 10, 16, 17

Multiple tees and a handful of holes have two baskets. Didn't have any complaints with the baskets or tees!

Tee signs Navigation- look at cons section

Fairness and Difficulty- I think on the shorts an upper level intermediate player can shoot well on as long as they are hitting gaps, the longs should good challenge to an advanced player. Only hole 9 was unfair in my opinion.

As wooded courses go I would have to say its one of my all time favorites, the lines and tunnels you have to hit, all the slight elevation and sometimes drastic makes it challenging. Also the great news is that I ran into hardly any thorns and the brush wasn't too bad when you got off the fairway.

At times this course just felt so peaceful I cant say enough how much I enjoyed my experience at Coyote Hills

Cons: Facilities- Not much there to be honest, no obvious restrooms and water fountains, but I rushed to start my round
Navigation- Can be tricky at times but man the signs at the bottom of the baskets really helped. I ended up walking past 14's tee and down the wrong trail. Some long tee's were hard to find.
Tee signs- not a huge fan of the tee signs here.
I can overlook a lot of small things on this course because i enjoyed it so much but man there are some definite safety issues on some of the holes in this course that kept me from rating it higher.
Hole 1 don't even try to play it during a game, you may kill the left fielder with an errant drive or his parents sitting in the bleachers on the left side of the fairway. I wish they would seriously consider changing hole 1 I just see it being too risky for safety also the fairway is incredibly muddy anyway least favorite hole by far.
Hole 10 takes a long time to walk to the basket you have to go over the bridge on the creek on hole 9. Making it very possible that someone on holes 9 tee pad could hit you as you cross into their fairway.
Hole 14 I like but there is a steep drop off that goes down to a walking path its not that hard to reach the path either if you get a clean drive. Although this one is not as dangerous as the ones i mentioned earlier.

Holes I didnt like. 1 and 9 (rewards a forehand but also punishes the crap out of one that fades a hair early. More of a poke and hope in my opinion a hanging limb is making the line even hader to hit.
If i remember right there was also atleast 2-3 holes that were just straight uphill holes that were very similar. If i remember right two were on the front 9 and the other was hole 15.

Even after some of these cons it really didnt bring down my overall experience.
Other Thoughts: Coyote Hills absolutely blew me away. I think its partly because I didn't expect much after bland and swampy hole 1, then the back 9 came and as soon as I finished playing I immediately wanted to play it again. The fun factor on this course is off the charts! My real rating is closer to a 4.25. This is the first course in PA I've ever played and it shocked me to find out that it didn't even make DGCR 1st page in top courses in PA. You got my hopes high PA keep making stunning disc golf courses. Anybody passing through the state has to check Coyote out!

head for the hills

5+    8/10/2017   8/10/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Coyote Hills is a wooded course set in a new growth forest with well defined fairways, minimal undergrowth, elevation change, and a small creek that comes into play on a couple of holes. There are also a few open holes.

The course has a couple of quality two-shot holes, but is mostly a mix of one-shot or drive and upshot holes.Most holes have a unique character and challenge. There are a couple of opportunities to make heroic shots, but for the most part it is controlled play that will yield the best score.

Coyote Hills is a very solid wooded course. If anything, it would benefit from a few more spots where you are forced into risk reward decisions or holes where you can go for a big, aggressive drive. Fun course. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

lefty friendly

1    6/24/2015   6/24/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: good signage, concrete pads, next tee signs, dedicated space for dg, mowed fairways, benches on lots of holes
Cons: this is one of the most lefty friendly courses i have ever played. I'm kinda okay with it since my flick shot has been working well, but many righties may complain more than me. the rough here is really nasty at spots, 12 and 13 especially so. really didn't like the basket placement on hole 2
Other Thoughts: being lefty friendly doesn't make it less fun--I'll be clear. it's a great course and anyone that can master it will probably do well at most other courses.

Need a Challenge??

2-4    5/2/2015   5/3/2015
Review By: Mohawk Mack
This review was updated on 5/12/2015
Pros: 18 holes of well groomed and perfectly manicured disc golf course! Signage on every hole with arrows hanging on every basket that shows you the next tee direction.You'll need every shot in your bag on this course! There's a few ace holes and a few that will have you kicking your bag! There's a few holes that you can grip and rip but you still want to land in the fairway, cause the rough out here is exactly that....ROUGH!!! I think they got some of the rough on this course out of the movie SAW! Concrete tee pads on all holes were put in perfectly as far as construction goes.And a real friendly bunch of people out there!
Cons: There's only really 2 cons. 1) Signage for the long tees on #6, #7 & #14, and signage for the long basket on #13 and maybe a tall flag on the long basket. Outside of that, just update the photos on this website because the ones up here are old, but that's more of a suggestion than a cons.
Other Thoughts: These guys did an awesome job on a course that's only 4 years old. Hole #1 has 2 baskets and is a open hole. #2 has 2 tee pads and is narrow and is a dog leg left. #3 is a very short dog leg right with the pin nestled in front of a OB creek and a little hill in front of the pin, tricky but ace-able! #4, nasty little hole, narrow uphill tee shot with the tree master and his army of trees in the fairway making your 2nd shot interesting and the pin in down a short steep hill, think twice before chasing that putt! #5 is a short dog leg right going uphill, birdie chance! #6 is wide open and slightly down hill except for the cell tower that is fenced in and then green is backed up to a OB propoerty line. #7 is short and begging to be aced with OB after the bridge and the long tee is still acea-able but there trees that will crush your ace dreams! #8 has 2 paths to take with the basket in a elevated box, personally my favorite hole, #9 is an uphill dog leg right with skinny tree branches littered through your tee shot, the rough is jail on this hole. #10 you'll need to thread the needle, slight dog leg right that bends right back left to the basket that is guarded by a half moon of bushes. #11 is a slight dog leg left with trees dotting the basket. #12 is adog leg left on the power lines that if throw right is nice but the rough is from the movie SAW! #13 is open and long, short basket to the right in the woods and the long basket is past the second set of power line poles on the left, stay in the fairway, more saw rough on the left! #14 is a cool hole that flows down a gravel road with the basket up on a med hill, a nice "s" turn throw will do you right, from the long tee on this hole is through the woods with the tree gods standing guard. #15 is a short uphill straight hole with some threadage. #16 is narrow and tight off the tee and the basket is guarded by bushes and trees but then open up to an open green. #17 is and semi straight with a valley that has a OB creek and then shoots straight up hill to the basket with trees sprinkled throughout the hole, #18 is a slight dog leg left with a slight bottle neck of tree at the turn and the basket is guarded by a downed tree.
Overall I really like this course and will drag my buddies up there to play it again! A job well done by those who built and maintain the course!

Excellent Wooded Course

1    4/16/2015   4/17/2015
Review By: bwallander
Pros: Excellent signage. Course plays through some great terrain and will force you to play a technical game. Many of the holes are short and make for easy birdies. A few hole when thrown correctly are designed for an ace.
Cons: The cell tower fenced in area is a burden as it is on one of the most open holes.

Wiley E. Coyote's Doglegs

1    6/20/2014   11/8/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Nice concrete tees and signage and Discatcher baskets. Decent navigation with two loops of 9 holes back to parking lot. Excellent use of the elevation and space. Nice variety of lines and distances to hit. Really enjoyed holes 1, 2, 6, 8, 17, and 18. Disc golf only area of park.
Cons: Nothing major that should keep anyone from playing. Single concrete tees and single basket positions(except hole 1 has two baskets). The rough is still fairly rough with brush and some poison ivy. Biting flies in summer. No bathroom.
Other Thoughts: Overall Coyote Hills is a very good course, I absolutely loved the first and last few holes as they are pro caliber. I'd rate the course 3.75 if I could. This maybe just be my preference and cup of tea, but many of holes in the middle reminds me of Wiley E Coyote using Acme products to try and catch the Roadrunner that end up backfiring like on the short dogleg holes and couple holes that have tight winding fairways with bad rough. Those holes just seemed to lack much fun factor and re-playablilty for me but that's just like my opinion man.

I did what the reviewer below me did and followed my GPS to the road with the closed bridge. Call an audible, orange barrel re-route to get to the park. I wouldn't necessarily go too far out of the way to seek out, but Coyote Hill is one of the best courses in the area, so I'd recommend playing it as a good fix in the area.

Great course, easy access from turnpike

1    11/3/2013   11/3/2013
Review By: nytrate
This review was updated on 11/5/2013
Pros: Great disc golf course close to the turnpike. Definitely worth the trip.

The course is very pretty and winds through a very picturesque park with evergreen and deciduous woods and a creek. Average recreational players like myself can get many birdies here. The drives are somewhat technical with the trees and turns (majority of drives are right and left doglegs), but mostly short.

Great signage and directions to the next tee. It is difficult to lose your way with arrows on every basket pointing to the next tee.

The tees are concrete and of varied size. Some tees are very short, but so are the distances to the pin. Originally going to put it as a con but the small tees were fine for those baskets. One hole (10? something around there) has a choice of a hyzer or anhyzer line and the tee is widened and pointed in both directions. Neat idea although not necessary (does anyone actually take that anhyzer route here? seems a little out-of-the-way).

Tall poles with flags on the out-of-view baskets. It is a nice touch.

Care was obviously taken in putting this course together.
Cons: A few shots in the back 9 that were not very memorable.

Lots of thorns in the rough.

A few short holes, but I thought they worked well and were all tight lines -- hit it right and you had a birdie, but these were hard to bogie. Not really a con, just worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: Worth the trip -- stop here off the turnpike at the Carlisle exit. The route my GPS took me was blocked by a closed bridge -- don't take Wolfs Creek road (or something like that) from the turnpike like your GPS tells you.

Now I know the easy way to get here from the turnpike, I will make this a stop when driving through PA. You can do 18 pretty quickly and be back on your way, 5 minutes to and from 76.

[EDIT 11/5/13: I am updating to 4 stars in view of my thoughts on this since playing. The course was just so nice and well kept that I thought it was merited...definitely the 4 stars if a few very short holes don't turn you off, and if you can get past 2 or so weak ones]

More changes for the better

5+    2/25/2013   2/27/2013
Review By: amusedbum
Pros: Great variety of hole designs. Long vs Short, Open vs Wooded, Left vs Right, Up vs Down.

Hole One has two baskets in place. The long position is a true par 4. It's tough to choose whitch to play for so, I suggest playing the course twice and playing both positions.

There are nice big concrete tee pads on the "white" tees. There are "red" tees on many holes. These are grass tees marked with red concrete blocks. There is a longer "blue" tee on hole two but, I'm not sure if anyone actually uses it. The concrete is so much better to throw from.
Cons: Players are asked to play from the "red" tee on hole one if people are using the baseball field.

The Fenced in area on hole six can be a problem for out of towners. The discs will be retrieved periodically however getting them back to people from afar can be an issue.
Other Thoughts: Two more bridges have been added to the course making it much easier to get across the small amounts of casual water on the course.

Wow...challengeing

1    5/4/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: Airubus
Pros: very well designed. no holes overlap each other. you really feel like you're alone out there on a long hike. this course pulls no punches. plenty of elevation changes, tunnel shots, left to right, right to left, up to down, and down to up and back down again....you get the point. you have short holes...and one MONSTER of a par 5. love love love this course.
Cons: NOT a beginner course. the rough is ROUGH!!!! but it is a new course, and the rough will eventually thin with player trails retrieving discs...lord knows i made a few of my own. also because this is a new course, the thorns are bad. a few holes dont reward great shots, but will PUNISH poor choices. i think it was hole 17 or 18 where my disc was 15 feet from the basket...and my disc was near unplayable due to a lack of a "green" again....the course is new...and will be tweaked, and beaten in so i cant knock it so bad
Other Thoughts: i will come back to this course for SURE!!! very memorable. put this on your list!!

Excellent Work

1    2/20/2012   2/22/2012
Review By: cesar32935
Pros: Concrete Tees completed in all holes. Arrows on the bottom of each basket tells you which way to head next, and there's usually a nice "pathway" to the next tee area. Challenging course.
Cons: Woods, woods, woods. The woods is not the problem, but some holes have a very narrow driving area, unless you can throw straight, you'll hit some trees. Bridges to go over the creek not completed as of today.
Other Thoughts: Nice hike! It is challenging with the woods, and hiking up and down hills, very good lay out. Can't wait for the bridges to be completed so there will be a little less mud on my shoes next time. There are some branches and logs laid across for now, but you'll still get mud.