Baton Rouge, LA
St. Andrew's U. Methodist DGC Share
Uploaded By: lxdawg25 Hole #7 (Taken 10/2011)
3 / 140ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Tee: Basket around building to the right, yard OB

Share URL:

OK Eagle Scout Course Design!

1    10/7/2017   10/7/2017
Pros: St. Andrews University Methodist Church is a large church with a playfield on one side. This playfield contains a softball field and that's where most of the course is located with six baskets here. One basket is located close to the building and then the last two are set on the lawn between the church and this other building.

The disc golf course has a course sign, with map, at the start near the little concession stand. There are nice little tee signs at each hole. A few have been trashed by vandals. There aren't any tee pads although a few places have worn spots in the grass. I made the mistake of teeing off on # 3 from the slightly wet tee pad and slipped badly possibly pulling three major muscle groups. After that, I just teed off next to any slippery looking space. The baskets are DGA models with the # on the inner pole and these baskets have a rung painted yellow which points to the next tee. My theory is these little recreation type course always have obvious next tee navigational aids while the long, wooded courses with three paths leading every which way from each basket, never have any next arrows or anything to help you.

St. Andrews has some interesting longer holes such as 3 & 4 both over 442'.

The pars listed are elementary level with most if the 225' length holes listed as par 4's and the open 450' holes are easy par 5's. You can play them all as par 3's but if you record them on your DGCR ap, you should see some eagles recorded.

Cons: The course had its warts. I don't like the # 1 basket sitting so close to the fence. So many players who play this course will send hysers flying over the fence onto the street. Same thing with # 2 playing along the neighbor's fence on the left.

Crazy elementary pars.

# 8 basket is close to play area.

No tee pads or natural pads can be slippery when wet.

Recreation course. Not intended for intermediate or better players.

Other Thoughts: I 'm not concerned with the crossing fairways as I don't ever see multiple groups playing here. I do agree with previous reviewer, lxdawg25, who commented that this course would be better without the extra nine holes. I was content to just play the first nine today as the rains came and made my decision easy. This is not a bad course for a course but other than church groups and kids living close, I'm not sure who wants to play this course. There are so many better choices in the vicinity.

Baskets in a Ring

1    2/5/2012   2/5/2012
Review By: MikeK
Pros: There is actually enough room to throw big bombs on the 400 foot holes, and there is a bit of shot variety. For being so small it is actually playable. Good solid baskets.
Cons: The course is mostly six baskets at six corners of a big 3-4 acre open yard with three other baskets right next to buildings. One basket is ten feet from a toddler playground. The course doesn't feel much like a real course, more like a bunch of baskets set up in a neighborhood yard.
Other Thoughts: It just doesn't feel like a course at all with all the crossing fairways. If I lived within a mile of this course I would play it, but to go more than that far out of the way isn't worth the drive.

A Nice Course

1    11/21/2011   11/21/2011
Review By: Drivin2win
Pros: The signage is awesome. Very good basket placement, the eagle scouts did well. Alternative holes to make a full 18 holes. Even though they are to the same baskets, the last nine holes feel like they are completely different holes.
Tight spaces and low trees require either a huge spike or a straight roller, and several five-hundred-foot holes are testy.
Cons: One major factor: Dogs. Two are particularly annoying near where several holes cross. Another is the building and parking lot usage. Buildings are directly in the way, and hole ten is thrown from the side of the parking lot.
Oh, and the teeboxes are absolutely downright hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I didn't feel like really throwing hard that much. And so the roller fest began. I actually didn't fare bad!

A great (compact) course

5+    7/20/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: JTacoma03
Pros: A fun course. Not a championship level by any stretch, and not super challenging, but I've never not enjoyed a round there. There are lots of birdie opportunities.

Good use of the space provided. The land is flat and mostly unobstructed, but the holes weave through and make full use of the few obstacles. OB comes into play on at least half of the holes, and there are some fun tunnel shots where height control is crucial to birdie.

Good variation in hole length/design. There are some short techincal holes w/OB danger, as well as some longer open holes to break out that distance driver (over 450').

Good signage for the holes complete with maps and distances, so it's easy to navigate despite only using 9 baskets.
Cons: No permanent or semi-permanent teepads, all dirt using bricks to mark the front left/front right edge - Yellow bricks are back 9 tees only, orange tees are used for front and back (refer to signs). I understand concrete teepads aren't a realistic option since it's a muti-use field but some rubber mats would be a good upgrade.

Baskets are all installed too low to the ground IMO. They need to be raised up a bit.
Other Thoughts: I disagree that this course is "dangerous", I think that's a little bit dramatic. I DO agree that it will have trouble handling more than 6-8 groups at a time due to using the same basket, but you're only throwing blind on one hole (and it's 140') so there's not much danger of hitting other people.

I have to really give a hand to the course designer (yes it was his Eagle scout project that he completed before going off to college) and his sponsors for all their hard work in giving Baton Rouge another course.

Stick to 9

1    10/15/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: This course was on a nice, well maintained property. It was very clean and played around a ball field. Navigation between holes was pretty reasonable with very nice signs at the tee pads. You can tell that someone put the work in to make this course happen and tried to vary the shot selection using the land possible.

#5 - The alley on this hole was nice. Very well designed. It could use a bit more distance but had a great look.
#17 - I loved the look on this hole, I felt like this could be on any course of substance anywhere. The building right behind the basket was a bit concerning but from this tee box it's windows were not as accessible as #8's tee box.
Cons: I don't want this to sound mean but it needs to be said and said honestly. THIS COURSE IS DANGEROUS. There are 9 baskets and 18 holes. Each area has 2 tee pads, and many of the fairways play near or across each other. While I was out there my wife and I were the only ones so this was not an issue. But as soon as you put 3-4 groups on this course playing 18 is just out of the question for all of them.
Navigation between holes was fairly straight forward but once at the tee pad with the shared holes, there was confusion as to which baskets to throw to. The signs helped but from one tee pad I was able to see 4 baskets, maps could only do a little. This is also small but a marker near the yellow pads would also help as even with the tee signs some were hard to find, 18 would be the first example of this that comes to mind.
Holes #7, #8, #16, and #17, throw dangerously close to buildings. I would just be concerned about doing damage to the church's building, not to mention #7 with the neighbor's yard OB was just way to easy to over throw and end up on their doorstep. The looks I got while I retrieved my disc made it obvious they did not sign on to being so close to a disc golf course, let alone one where their backyard is easy to get deep into with a putter off the tee.
When it comes down to it this course is just too easy. You can see that there was an attempt to make long holes, but those mostly just go through and empty open field. Which brings me to my next point...
Other Thoughts: ...If I could talk to the designer, and I know and knew before I got there that he was younger eagle scout, my advice would be stick to 9. There is limited property onsite and by forcing 18 in this space he is diminishing it's value. I only played 9 while there as once done the 9, I felt like there was nothing left to see. I looked at all the different tees and how they ran, but did not feel a need to play them all. I really feel like if this course was moved down to 9 holes, and if those 9 were mix of what currently exists, that this course could easily be a 3, but as it stands this course is just too dangerous.