Jenison, MI
Rosewood Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: MisterJ Hole #1 (Taken 5/2017)

Share URL:

I Bet The Sledding Is Awesome!

1    9/4/2017   9/5/2017
Pros: Coming from an area that doesn't see much snow, I'm always amazed to see sledding hills in parks. I don't know if this bowl was naturally formed or was built by humans. The bowl around the soccer field so perfectly symmetrical, it's gotta be manmade. And all four sides look like they would be great times sledding. Maybe I'll hang around Michigan until December!

The disc golf course starts at the top of the bowl and throws over and out to a basket some 250' away. It's a great fun throw to hyser it out and let it come back. Just be careful of the busy street left of the basket. The baskets are Liberty models and # 1 is a little bent up. From there you play in clockwise direction playing around the outer parts of the park. There are no tee pads so you're just throwing from basket to basket. There are also no signs after # 1. Holes 1-6 play around this section of the park and 7-9 venture off into the busier part of this park.

# 4 is another downhill toss, maybe 275', throwing a basket not too far from the tough on the left. # 7 throws around a power station if some kind. Then # 8 throws alongside of the neat, blue climbing apparatus. Finish with # 9. It's about 275' with a single tree in front of the basket. You may encounter other park patrons here. Use your best judgement here.
Cons: The last three holes may conflict with other park users.

Actually, other holes may be affected by a soccer game in progress.

Street possibly in play on # 1.

No tee pads.

No signage.
Other Thoughts: I loved throwing over the bowl on 1. After that, I was kinda unimpressed with the course. It wasn't terrible or boring or totally unsafe but the wow factor was missing for me. I'd come and play here if I lived close. As long as there is no soccer game going on, # 1 is worth the price of admission by itself.

Gotta Wishlist this Course, with Wind its Killer

1    5/15/2017   5/21/2017
Review By: MisterJ
Pros: Challenge - One would think a small grass teepad, 9 hole course with sparse trees and every hole in the 200 foot range would not be so challenging. One would think, I just need to bring my putter, maybe a couple holes use my mid-range. But when I went, that would not be the case. Sure the trees are sparse, and if #4 reached into the woods and 5/6 were wooded maybe better. Putting in perspective I'm talking a 9 hole course, being at the top of a bowl, wind levels for me were high which reduces drive distance or throws drives completely off course if throwing the wrong disc. For as simplistic as this course looks, it may be one of the most technical 9 holes I've ever seen.

Variety - I'll tell you what, this little guy has some technical holes with tree placement, and elevation, and a little bit of water hazard (maybe by chance and not by design). But I have yet to see a hole like hole #1 anywhere. And because of that, I say this thing has variety. I'm going to keep building some suspense, but on my death bed, I'll be asking my wife what was that courses name, you know hole #1, the bowl around the soccer stadium, read on to see why. It's fan-stinkin'-tastic.

Fun - Outrageously yes. BUT.... Not for everyone. My wife can shy away from some holes or certain courses, not a fan of water holes, or certain things like that, so on paper she thought this 230' average hole course all less than 300' was perfect. I'll tell you she skipped out of multiple holes (there are only 9). Here's the thing, with courses, or more so the hole, you talk risk versus reward. If the risk goes up, much beyond beginner some people shutter. If the risk goes to pro, depending on risk, some people get the shakes and just can't get enough. The wind was kicking at the top of the bowl where we play, so this course has that. It had that level of risk, where the adrenaline junky in short bursts can just eat it up in spades. Besides for finding the right disc, the driving lane gets that much harder with people, wind... I will elaborate in detail in my closing where and what I mean. But as you read, you'll pick up bits and pieces, but I'll spill it all.

Locatability - Park is easy to find. And the course has a nice map, and the baskets are just too easy to spot, it's nice and easy.

Maintained/Bugs - What the heck kind of grass was that, crabgrass, not sure but it was nicely mowed. No bugs at all, but that marsh at the end of 4, I suppose it's possible in dead of summer it could bring out the bugs.
Cons: Aesthetic - This is a crazy course, and the burned out grass on the upper bowl in which we play isn't the greatest sight to see (at least it looked that way in mid-May after weeks of heavy rain). The strategic trees, not that pretty either. Couple roads along the outlining of the course, never a pretty sight, and the marsh that builds up on the far end wasn't the thing that would bring me back. The soccer field in the middle of the bowl is worth seeing, and the park is nice too. Honestly, standing at hole 1, I felt like I was standing at the grand canyon looking over about to cast my disc to the other side, except people were playing at the bottom and have to call hole #1 their signature hole.

TeePads/Baskets - It's (teepads) crap, grass and I think somewhere it said just throw from the previous basket. Baskets are fine, they're metal, hold discs, have chains and all that. But neither of these detracts at all from this course. From experience, I would suggest that you throw from the 4x4 post with the Sledding sign as a marker signifying the next hole, it's as good as any and a bit more consistent and shows wear of what others have done before you. Some people feel that if you don't have a proper run-up, it is a con. I've hit a dozen or more natural run-ups, would you rather have no course due to expense? I think it adds to the charm and challenge. Ground is level and dry, no big deal here.

Signage - There was a sign saying Rosewood park, does that count? And signs about sledding hill. Honestly, if you have the map, that's about all you need, the course is easy to follow, its around the bowl of the soccer field, and then ends around the play area and back at the parking lot. Honestly, if they had signs, you might get ashamed of your score or that you'd swear the distances were off because you drive a lot farther than that, but that's what gives this little gem it's charm.

Congestion - We had to wait a little for 2 sets of disc golfers to go on hole #1. They were all saddled up and ready to go, so I was pretty surprised at how long they were up there. That is, until I got up there, and then I understood, FYI, luckily no one waited on me, I was there forever on #1's teepad. Besides that, sometimes you'll want to wait to throw until traffic clears on the streets, I know it's a short course, but these winds can howl, so I was chucking discs, and one bad throw can go. Plus congestion comes from people running up and down the hill to play soccer, or go in and out of the play park. For us, going during the week after work, really just about rush hour or just after, traffic of cars on streets, and waiting on #1 was about the only congestion of real note. But your throwing lane should include avoidance of people, cars, and overdriving to land in the street or hitting a house across the street and playing the wind.
Other Thoughts: Whats holding it back from higher rating - Maybe they could have expanded to use the woods beyond 4, it sure is wet back there, but maybe. So I think this course really couldn't get a higher rating from me. The only things it could do better is beautify but that would mean relocating by a lake, waterfall, mountains, or something, and that isn't happening. If someone moves the baskets, or adds concrete pads, I would actually derease my score because it adds to the charm and difficulty of this course. I think this course is so good and making it easier (shy of signs) would not help it overall.

Kid Friendly - I don't know about these guys throwing here. If your little buddy has an arm, and that disc goes wrong and they are overzealous like many kids, wham into a moving car, or upside a soccer players head. But they can go play in the park while you do a round.

Older/Less Active Player Friendly - I know this is a short course, and you may think these folks would be fine here, but I would say be cautious. Like I said, hole #1, you're looking off the grand canyon, and besides for that, there is some elevation changes. I would love everyone to get out to try this, but these guys might think twice, twisting an ankle and then rolling down to the lower bowl and then what? I know this is a short course, and you may think these folks would be fine here, but I would say be cautious. Like I said, hole #1, you're looking off the grand canyon, and besides for that, there is some elevation changes. I would love everyone to get out to try this, but these guys might think twice, twisting an ankle and then rolling down to the lower bowl and then what?

Rookie & Average Player Friendly - Depending on your risk tolerance, you will love or hate this course. My mid-range drive typically go 250 perfect for signature hole #1. It was absolutely windy, kinda in my face and the left on hole #1. Soccer practice going on, steady heavy traffic just beyond the hole, and homes just beyond that. So for me, risk 1 - hit soccer player, risk 2 - hit soccer fan, risk 3 - hit moving car, risk 4 - hit grammy thru front window, risk 5 - winds gusting from bowl 30 to 50mph. I waited for cars to pass, and my blood pumped, when clear, soccer kids came up the hill, when that cleared, cars came by again, when that cleared the wind howled but I had to go. My adrenaline was so high and pumping I was never so scared to throw a disc in all my life. I thought I found my driving lane, but with people and the wind changing, I kept adjusting it, which made my heart pump faster and faster. Not just all this stuff going on, but your also on the top of this summit, looking down at everything of sorts like a king, it's a sight to behold there at #1. So I threw it, my typically 250' midrange drive, drew the line I wanted, but the wind drove the front right corner down. Ended up 100+ feet shy of the pin on a 255foot hole, that sounds embarrassing. But IT WAS AWESOME! Lots of challenges to battle the rest of the way, I loved the course, and the best part is this is something you can do solo, or with a pal. And on these what should be super holes, when they mess up, or you do, you can really give it to each other, because one of you will. FYI, I don't think my heart could take playing this course every week, but I definitely would like to come back here a few times in my life and I think you should put it on your wishlist.

Pro Player Friendly - Depending on if you are looking for something different, and want weather, and other characteristics to come into play besides for the real design of the land, this is a place you may like. It has some definite mid-range and putting challenges to work out.

2-4    5/6/2015   5/9/2015
Review By: seventeenmonks
Pros: -Very good course for beginners
-Easy par 3's great for figuring out how to throw and improving your mid-range throws and putting
-Many holes are wide open and easy to find the basket
-A good place for a relaxing round and a good place to burn time
Cons: -Tee boxes do not exist and there are not any signs other than the first hole
-Simple and quick
-Typical park course
Other Thoughts: -Tee boxes are not there however there is no real problem. This is a course for beginners and tees won't change much. If there isn't a designated spot to throw from you can just choose your own and play from there.
-This course is good for a quick toss if you are nearby and have an itch to throw.

Interesting Course

1    5/26/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: jarnson
Pros: - A nice 9 hole course
- Good distance for majority of holes, some challenges, the possibility of rolling down into Charlie's Dump makes for a hazard
- Baskets (no posts, this helped bring my rating up) If at all confused, at least the baskets help direct gameplay.
Cons: - No signs to help direct new players who have not played course before.
- The idea of throwing from basket makes gameplay slower if there is a large crowd playing.
- No pad's for driving (not really a problem, but again, for new players, it's difficult to say where the start is)
- Playground near last 4 holes (watch for children and the road to left).
Other Thoughts: - Bathroom near first hole (Port-A-Jon) and enough parking
- Can't miss it location wise

Overall, I can't say it was the best course setup but for playing wise I enjoyed it. Aside from confusion I found the corner shots a challenge and enjoyed the birdies I got at those places. It is an interesting area to play.

potentially dangerous

1    6/25/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- park is a nice park, especially around the parking lot. the soccer bowl is boring and repetitive.

baskets-- DiscNation baskets (not a choice in course profile) good condition as they're brand new.

routing-- relatively easy.
Cons: length/challenge-- this course is boring. straight up boring. the repetitve nature of the holes around the soccer bowls are a huge let down. the fact that the woods to the north of the soccer bowl aren't really in play is kind of depressing.

Danger-- after the soccer bowl, the course plays EXTREMELY close to picnic tables, paths and playground.

potential wasted-- there is a lot of potential here but it's simply wasted by it's repetitive nature. disappointing to say the least.

Complete lack of teesigns/teepads-- it's annoying to say the least. having a teesign for #1 and nothing and not even having the baskets numbered is straight lazy.

1    5/10/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: sgamerp
This review was updated on 10/16/2013
Pros: - nice new baskets, the baskets are brand new and very nice

- Clean park

-super close to both huges park

-Nice elevation for a 9 holer.

- 30 minutes to play a solo round.
Cons: - No signs minus the first hole (unless you count the arrows on the back of the baskets telling you were to go)

-Dirt Tee Pads, (as there are no signs this makes it worse as it's super hard to figure out where the holes are)

-9 holes

-One of the holes (I think 7?) has the basket like 10 feet from the round. It should be a putter hole, but with some wind this could turn out bad.
Other Thoughts: There is a good amount of shots needed, but the place is pretty boring. You will see the sign for hole 1 right by the port-a-potty. The first 6 holes wrap around a soccer field, with hardly any trees. It turns into three a little more wooded holes around a playground. The playground is not in effect that much unless you have a horrible throw.

This place is right off Chicago drive, and is really close to Huges park. Normally I would say just go there, unless you want to hit up two places in a day.

If you are located really close to this, I can see playing it a lot, but besides that it's not anything above anything else in the greater Grand Rapids area.

1    10/12/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: spartanmace
Pros: Baskets are brand new. There a few holes where the throwing area is elevated. Playground in course that kids love to go to. Good family course. I am glad they are putting up more courses in the area.
Cons: No tee boxes or distance signs. Short course. Only 9 holes.

5+    5/8/2014   10/13/2011
Review By: rshrevo
This review was updated on 5/8/2014
Pros: Nice little course. Holes 1- 6 wrap around the outside of the soccer bowl down below. Good Starter course for beginners and those wanting to work on their short game. Holes 7 - 9 wrap around the play area and through the lightly wooded area there. There are trees in play of the holes but good shots won't challenge the expert players. For what they had to work with not too bad. from the article they are willing to make possible changes to make the course better.
Cons: Right now the big one is no designated tee areas. The back of some of the holes point to the next hole with a distance. Sidewalks guard pretty much the left side of almost every hole out there. Couple of the baskets are near the sidewalk but not really too bad. the 8th hole could be a lot longer and put more trees into play if they will allow it.
Other Thoughts: 1st tee now in. its located next to port a john. the hole shoots across the corner of the soccer bowl. makes for a nice challenging shot. Nice course to bring the family to. no real signature holes more of a fun family recreational course. if you are looking for a challenging course this isn't it. if you are looking for a quick nine holes where you can work on your short game then this may be a good course for you.