Kaukauna, WI

Share URL:

Unique and Memorable

1    4/12/2017   10/5/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: Grignon Park is a very interesting disc golf course because as a golf course, it has tremendous variety. The course designer did an amazing job utilizing this property and converting it to a disc golf experience.

The park itself is relatively quiet, but the course went from quiet to steady by the time I was finishing my round. There is ample parking right between the hole 1 tee pad and the hole 18 basket. Course maps, a few benches, and even a vending machine were all nearby.

By far the most memorable hole for me here was hole 1. This massive downhill, hyzer shot into a gap in the trees. Of course I missed the gap short, so I spent the next few minutes trying to get back to my disc. Still... my favorite hole on the course.

The course is like three different courses combined into one. Right after hole 1, you go right into a small, uphill right dogleg hole 2. Then back down, then up, etc. It just keeps going and going. Holes 2-4 stay pretty tight in the woods, then hole 5 went out across a wide open field. Holes 6-8 follow a path around the backside of the park, then 9-16 utilize a section of the park near Plank Road. It really is a great design.

Most of the holes are in the 250 foot range, and reachable for noodle arms like me. Some of them are significantly larger, but most players won't have any issues reaching the pin.

There's a creek that lines the edge of the fairway on hole 8 and 17. It definitely adds more to the variety of the course. I tossed a couple discs in there, but they were easily retrievable.

Hole 18 is an extreme uphill, tunnel, dogleg left hole that can tear apart your round if you don't get it right.

Summary of pros:

- Easy parking
- Vending
- Concrete pads
- Beautiful tee signs and maps
- Significant elevation
- Variety of holes and shots required
- Some holes had multiple tees
- Water in play, but retrievable
- Good layout and flow
- Memorable round
Cons: There aren't many cons for this course. Of course it's not a huge disc golf destination so there isn't a pro-shop or anything, but with so many other disc golf stores in the area, it makes sense.

My first complaint would be the smell. There is a factory or something nearby that can be quite obvious if you catch the wind just right. My second gripe would be the trash. There were trash bins, but they were full and you could easily see trash scattered throughout the course.

I didn't really like hole 17 too. Maybe it's just my style, but that hole just wasn't fun. I'm sure the lefties love it!
Other Thoughts: Grignon Park is one of the top courses near Appleton in my opinion. It's worth a play if your visiting the area. Follow your GPS or map and park in the parking area in the center of the park. Enjoy your round!

Pretty nice course

1    7/16/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: Freebird
Pros: Nice mix of open and wooded, requires a variety of shot shaping, skills, and decision making, well marked and easy to follow, good baskets and tees.
Cons: Some might find this course lacking in challenge, there are no really long bomber holes and there is a string of VERY short holes on the back. There's some challenge to those though, in keeping you disc off the highway next to the baskets. It was a little wet and muddy in spots in the woods, but it's been raining a lot. We didn't even think about playing the longs, they're pretty brushed in and you'd have to throw through a pretty small hole on many of them.
Other Thoughts: I'll never be a pro-level player, I don't have enough length, but I can usually put the disc where I can find it again, and this course had just the right amount of challenge for me. There are quite a few places where a careless or overconfident shot can have you looking for plastic for a good while, or getting wet getting it back, but accurate throws and a little shot shaping are rewarded. We had a good time playing here even though we ran into some rude players and I threw into the river on 17, I'd play here again if I get back to the area. Oh, if there are restrooms in this park, someone should post directions for finding them, they're not near the disc course.

Fun, then boring, then fun again.

5+    6/17/2016   6/21/2016
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course in a multi-use park in Kaukana, WI.

Nice tee signs. Molded plastic, with a basic hole layout, possible pin positions (but not marked), and distance. Similar to the signs at Plamann. Navigation is pretty simple, with a good flow.

Concrete tee pads, with many having two tees (although I don't think the longs get a ton of play here). Plenty long and grippy. A few of the long tees could use some clearing in the immediate area.

Mach 3 baskets, all in decent enough repair, and caught well. No issues here.

What you'll remember most about Grignon is the elevation changes, especially over the first few holes. Hole 1 starts with a fun downhill, mostly open shot, and the next few holes are up and down steep inclines. You also finish hole 18 with a sharp incline. Nothing too long on the elevation holes, but fun and tight.

Most of the course winds through the woods, with several of the holes being very technical. There's really some great holes here, especially from the longs. Nothing is really unfair (except maybe hole 4), and nearly every hole is going to require you to shape your shot well.

There's a few holes here that would be welcome on even the best courses (When played from the longs). Hole 7, 9, and 17 are phenomenal golf holes that will test even the best players.

While there's really no huge bomber holes, there's a smattering of distance to air it out a bit, even if it does need some shaping.
Cons: For all the good to great holes here, the top section of the course is a bummer. It's not that they're bad holes, but they're more in the city park nine hole course mold; short, with a few trees to dodge, and not a lot of intrigue. Some will see it as a respite from the up and down, and tight tunnels; others (like me) will see it as a major hiccup in what could have been a very highly rated course otherwise. Fortunately, this only makes up about 1/3 of the course.

I'd say there's some possible safety issues with a playground being in the upper portion of the course, but I've never seen anybody at it while playing here, even on the nicest of days.
Other Thoughts: Grignon is a fun course. There's no two ways about it. It may frustrate beginners a bit, but not enough to push them away (we always see families out there throwing).

It's a touch outside my normal driving range, so I don't get to play it as much as I'd like, but if I lived closer, I'd play it a ton. As mentioned above, there's a few holes here that I'd throw in against any other holes I've played. Hole 17 is an absolutely beautiful hole.

It's probably not a must play, but it's close. As an Int player, I have a blast here. If you're in the Kaukauna area, give it a spin.

Chilly Good Time

1    2/25/2015   2/25/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: It probably would have helped if I had come through the correct park entrance for the course, but I ended up playing it 6-5 but that didn't detract from the flow.

Plays trough a nice park, the signage is very good and easy to tell where almost every basket is. There are benches on almost every hole, and since some of the holes are up and down pretty good inclines(great use of elevation at this course) you might need them.

I liked the layout, stars out with some right wooded holes and the opened up on 5 for a nice longer hole, then through the woods again until 10 where you play a bunch of park style shorter holes. Tons of ace runs here but plent of trees to spoil those plans.

The teepads were mostly covered in snow but the few I could see were decent sized concrete pads framed with wood.

Baskets were great DGA baskets and in good shape.

The course mostly plays kind of short but 17 is a fantastic long dogleg right. A bunch of deer ran across the frozen creek as I threw my drive and in the quiet twilight it was quite stunning.

I liked this park a lot, the facilities were nice, and the playgrounds would be fun if you had kids with you.
Cons: Course plays kind of short, not terribly but only one over 400 and about 5 more over 300.

Could use some tree trimming, as a result of thick growth(even in winter) there are a few of the wooded holes with just one route.

Another reviewer said this but pick up the trash guys. This course could be really really nice I it were a touch cleaner.

Some of the baskets are on top of the next pad, I bet a few people have gotten hit on an overthrow
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great place for a round, I really liked the flow is nice and I bet it's a grat place during the warmer months as well.

I'd play it again, though if I'd had more time, is have gone to RR.

Grignon review

5+    7/27/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: FoxRacer23TW
Pros: The course is fun, and takes you all over the place at the park. Going up and down hills, along streams, and threw many trees. It's definitely a course for someone who isn't quite pro, but is more than a beginner. You'll find out a lot how your accuracy and throwing capabilities are on the many types of holes. Holes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 17, and 18 are the more challenging, whereas all the other holes are fairly easy shots.
Cons: The course hasn't been maintained in a few years. The trees, shrubs, bushes, etc. are growing in and making throwing lanes hard to go through. Holes 2, 3, 9, and 18 could use some type of stair in the hillside to help going up and down on wet days.

The trash cans that are there, are almost always over flowing and crap is just everywhere from that. Someone in the Rec. Dept. needs to stop by at least once a week and check the garbage out, it seems like once every so often they get dumped.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone, just to say they've been there. I go there very often, because every time I go there is always that feeling that one day I could ace just about every hole, except the few that are out of reach for many player.

Nice Challenge

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: reddog49866
Pros: Great use of the elevation. Holes 1-9 are great fun. Very challenging with great shot lanes. Made great use of the environment in the hole design. Navigation was not difficult, I had someone with who has played there before. Even without them I don't think I would have had a problem. Course flowed quite well. Finding discs that went astray was not an issue overall usually took about 3 minutes if they were deep in there. Plenty of trash cans
Cons: Trash everywhere. The hills are very steep. Might consider putting stairs in perhaps? Not to much wrong with this course in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: Pick up after yourselves people.

a good mix

5+    10/16/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: gnarff
Pros: I like the general layout of the couse and the different elevations and has a few challenging holes plus it very close to me and is relatively short and after the first nine the kids can play at the little park
Cons: The steep hills can be slippery and the back nine isnt very challenging plus the hater cops are always around its un called for and I dont even smoke n garbages always full n plenty of liter
Other Thoughts: Some of the holes are short doesn't take much to get a - score

Very fun 18 holer

1    10/19/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: The course plays through a beautiful, mostly wooded park in Kaukauna near Appleton. There are 18 holes here and the variety of hole types is top notch. The baskets are Mach 3's and were all in very good shape and caught well. There is a large board with a very descriptive course map in the parking area. The flow of the course is pretty easy to follow. There is a great deal of very drastic elevation throughout the course. This coupled with the more heavily wooded areas make for a tough but very fun round. There are hand rails running up a few of the steeper hills which is pretty cool. The tee pads are 5'x10' of level, grippy concrete. There were 2 sets of pads on most if not all the holes which is a plus. The tee signs were also very nice. They had a basic hole diagram with the different tee locations, par, hole # and distances. A stream running through the park comes into play on 3 holes as well. It's not a super deep stream either so it won't eat up your discs. The park was well maintained with a pavilion at the first tee and benches and trash cans throughout. The fairways and paths between holes were all heavily wood chipped which is great on wooded courses like this. The course starts and ends back at the parking.
Cons: There are a few (5 to 7) holes on the back nine that are all like standard flat public park holes. These all kind of seem to run together and feel the same. They do have multiple mature trees to deal with but they lack the feel of the front 9 and the last 3 holes. These are also pretty close to the road and a few of the holes could be dangerous because of errant shots. It is also one of the better courses if not the best in the area that are free to play so I would imagine it can get very crowded. The parking lot is also pretty small for such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: If you're in the area I'd highly recommend visiting Grignon. To me it would be a toss up between here and Plamann if I could only play one. This is definitely better than the 4 nine holers that are nearby. We played Pierce, Tellulah, Kimberly H.S., Kaukauna Jr., Grignon, and both Plamann park courses in one day which made for an AWESOME day of discing. But if you don't have time for all of that I'd put this one right near, if not at the top of all of these. I'll be back here whenever I'm in the area for sure.

Fun course to play.

5+    11/3/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: Putter
Pros: Free.
Concrete pads with benches near by.
Mach 3 pins.
Some open holes and some wooded.
Garbage cans and vending machines.
Open year round.
Great park to play a round of night disc golf.
Cons: The back 9 has some short very similar in style holes.
Can smell like ass if the wind in blowing in the wrong direction.
Small parking lot for some busy days.
Other Thoughts: Fun course with a couple really well done holes. Worth stopping to check out if your in the area to disc golf.

More Wooded Than Open

5+    5/8/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 7/22/2012
Pros: 1) very hilly and filled with trees to make a very fun round.
2) lots of narrow fairways
3) home to one of the only legitimate par 4's in the Fox Cites
4) there is a hole for almost every type of shot.
5) amazingly difficult pin placements on 7, 8, and 17
5) course flows well, for the most part, just a few filler holes.
6) very nice map in the parking lot
7) dual cement tee pads give u got footing for drives
8) practice basket
Cons: 1) holes 11-16 are pretty much all the same and can get repetitive.
2) holes 11-16 are all too close together and you can easily throw towards the wrong basket or skip a hole if you don't pay close attention
3) the creek, or lack there of, is more of a nuisance than a hazard
Other Thoughts: Overall the course is very good, and will give you a real challenge. Can be a very nerve-racking course but if you score well it can make your whole day.