Winnsboro, SC
All-Terrain Disc Golf Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #13 (Taken 9/2012)
Hole #13 Basket to Long Tee

This is what Disc Golf should be

1    5/9/2017   5/9/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: + Simply an amazing course overall. If you are okay with a rugged experience, this course will go beyond your expectations. If you prefer manicured city park courses, don't bother.

+ Excellent mix of open and wooded holes, never feeling too much of one or the other.

+ Great variety on hole length. Right after a long par 4 you'll be treated to an easier 200-250' hole. None of the holes really felt like complete gimmie's either, which was nice.

+ Every hole utilizes elevation in some way. I can't think of a single hole that was completely flat with a regular pin placement. Every hole had me throwing uphill or downhill, or had a basket perched on the side of a hill, etc. It was great.

+ Amazing views. Particularly throwing from 15's tee had me looking out at a view that reminded me more of the Blue Ridge Mountains than what I'd expect from the middle of South Carolina.

+ Very well marked. I did not need to refer to my map at all. Every basket has numerous next tee signs following it. The only confusing part of the course was throwing from 14 long tee I thought 15's basket was where I should throw, and had to re-tee once I realized my mistake.

+ The entire experience truly felt like an adventure. This is the kind of course I want to drive an hour + to go play. This course felt unique. It felt like a destination. I've played tougher courses, I've played better courses, but this ranks among my top 3-5 as one of the most memorable and enjoyable rounds I've played.

+ Friendly staff and plenty of amenities. There is a shop where you can buy food and drinks, including cold Gatorade and hot pizza. There are restrooms and even showers you can use. If you want to make a day of it there are dirt bike trails and ATV trails, which seems to be the main attraction on the property.

+ I was the only disc golfer there and had this beautiful course to myself.

+ Benches on nearly every hole.

+ Accurate tee signs that show length, par and line(s) to the basket.

+ Bright orange baskets are extra visible.
Cons: - As good as this course is, its not challenging enough to be among the best of the best. It was incredibly fun, but too easy to warrant a 5 of 5.

- Course maintenance is not what you would expect if you're used to manicured city courses. Make no mistake about it, this is a rugged ass course in the middle of no where. You will sweat, get bitten by ants, look for drives in knee high grass on a few holes, and at the end of the round your legs will be feeling it. To me all of this just fits in with the experience of the course and I did not mind it, but to be objective holes like #14 would be better off with shorter grass.

- Both of the par 5's felt like par 4's. I got a 2 on the one with a drive that faded out early, and was just outside jump putt range for my second shot on the other.
Other Thoughts: To me, this course is exactly what a destination level, 18 hole disc golf course should be. Don't get me wrong, 9 hole and 18 hole courses tucked away in crowded, multi-use city parks certainly have their place, but if I'm setting aside a day just to play disc golf, I want to go somewhere that isn't busy with shared use activities. I want to go somewhere that makes me forget anything but this round of Disc Golf I'm playing exists. This course provided that feeling.

Disc golf courses should be remote, away from crowded city parks full of busy walking paths.

Disc golf courses should have a good mix of open and wooded holes, never feeling too easy or too claustrophobic.

Disc golf course should utilize elevation in fun and exciting ways.

Disc golf courses should be memorable, and stand out from the last set of 18 baskets you threw.

All-Terrain Disc Golf provides all of this in spades.

Some of the review ratings for this course are downright criminal.

If some long grass is enough to spoil an amazing course like this for you, go find a well trimmed pitch n putt in the city and let the big boys enjoy a real course. Those of you not afraid of a couple bug bites and some sun burn, strap on your hiking shoes and have at it!

Also note many reviews are out of date. There is TONS of signage indicating where to go to the next tee, for example. Stevie Wonder couldn't get lost out here.

Seriously, just ignore any review under 3.5 for this course. Yes, it has issues with long grass, but its an AMAZING experience, no question in my mind whether its in my top 10 or not.

If this course had mowed fairways, one or two more par 4's or 5's, and was just a bit tougher overall, I would give this a 5 with no hesitation. While its a little rough around the edges, don't let that keep you from experiencing this gem.

I've played 107 courses at the time of writing this review, and I've given a 5 or 4.5 to exactly four courses, this being one of them. That should tell you something.

This is exactly what disc golf should be.

It can be a bane but it's off the chain!! Long tee review.

1    11/8/2013   11/8/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Awesome course! Awesome, unique place that has different activities to offer. Like dirtbiking, ATV, camping, etc. Those things however are not as good as disc golf and this place has an underrated course. 3.83?! That's cheap.
-The pro shop! It has many different things. Discs, tents, a food stand inside of it, and different items for Carolina Adventure World, like sweaters, coasters, drinking cups, etc.
-Elevation! Course utilizes a LOT of it. There are only two holes that are "flat" but still gain a few feet. I know elevation, this course is hillier than it looks in the media.
-There are a few par 5's. They are not as long as most par 5's but they have a lot of defense. Hole 5 is a slightly downhill hyzer shot into the woods and it gets tight. Hole 8 is a dogleg that requires two clean shots over 300 feet. I nearly eagled it but I got "tree love" on my teeshot and Hole 12 is an odd shaped fairway and turns into a super hard approach shot into the woods.
-Some really nice greens here. Some of the baskets were on small hills so rollers are a possibility. #9's green is surrounded by a creek bed and #15's basket is on a cluster of rocks.
-Dual sets of tees on every hole. It's great that Alan Kane took the time to make this a course for all players (Not that courses should have a lower rating by not being beginner friendly). The tees are a doable length.
-There is a practice basket by the pro shop.
-Friendly staff members, good looking females that are very helpful! They give you scorecards and tell you where the first tee is.
-I like the orange DGA baskets. They catch very well and they are very visible.
-Great mix of open and wooded shots. Some holes allow you to rip it, like the awesome, classic 18th hole! Some holes are very narrow and can get unforgiving and will require you to get creative and that's what a real course has to have. If you play the longs, you will have to be prepared for some very unique holes that require clean shots. #10 long is a very narrow, uphill 321' par 3. You don't know what this hole is capable of. You got to throw it straight.
-The tee diagrams are very accurate. It's a good idea to look that the diagram if you play the longs.
-Benches on almost if not on every hole. This course is a hike! A real hike.
Cons: -I'm 16 and don't get my driver's license until February. So I drove my father here and when we got here, he had to sign that he is my guardian. I'm afraid that I can't come here alone until 2015 but this is really only a problem for me except when it's the Trailbrazer open, you just got to register. Plus you have to wear a wristband. If you don't have scissors in the car then it's tough to get it off.
-$5 to play all day. Totally worth it, it's just an alert, so play more than one round.
-There was racoon poop on #9's short tee and I saw some deer in the woods. LOOK OUT!
-The course runs through the dirt bike course but dirt bikers shouldn't keep a true disc golfer from playing THIS course.
Other Thoughts: -This is a course worthy of a 4.5. The work put into it, the money paid, the layout and elevation! It's an amazing course. The first three holes play on the side of a hill! Then you go to hole 4 which is a very cool uphill par 3 with two routes. Hole 5 is a very challenging 626' par 5 that is a tight hyzer shot. #6 is one of my favorite holes I've played. On the long tee, it's an awesome steep downhill tunnel shot. If it's really a par 4, then I eagled it with a mako3! Then #7 and #8 are just begging to bump up your score. Both dogleg left holes. The 7th is a steep uphill par 3 and 8 is slightly downhill. #9 is a very tough 379' foot par 3 and the basket is on a green surrounded by a creek bed. 10 is a challenging narrow par 3 with the basket going up a 10' hill. 11 is a short, dogleg right. 12 is a slightly downhill shot that is open most of the way and goes into the woods, standard 5 as it is very tight once you get to the woods. #13 is an uphill par 3 that requires clean shot. #14 and #15 are both open, uphill shots which #15 being an open bomb. On #14, it's worth knowing that the basket 400-450' straight ahead is #15's not #14's. #14 is a dogleg right. #16 is a downhill par 4 with multiple lanes but several trees so this is a thinker's hole. #17 is back uphill and you end with an epic 18th! The long tee is on top of the huge hill and you just have to throw more than one disc off the tee. Beautiful open bomb, one of the most beautiful holes I've played.
-Wishlist this course if you haven't. Go play it if you live within 3 hours. It's off the chain and it can really be unforgiving if you don't hit your line but that shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the course. Holes #6, #10 and #18 are three of my favorite holes of the 600+ holes I have played. I have maybe 75 favorite holes.

Here are some things you need to know
-The GPS is only familiar with Arrowhead Rd. Not 1515 but this course was easy for me to find.
-There is an entrance. You have to say what you are at Carolina Adventure World for before you can park.
-You have to sign a form.
-#2 is to the left of #1's basket. We got confused so we walked down #1's fairway and went to the right. I saw the tee and we had to walk up a steep hill to get to it.
-Some hole distances may be inaccurate. #6 is probably shorter than 404'. The teesign says 328' par 3 so I don't know if it's a par 3 or 4. The scorecard says it's a par 4.
-It's epic!