Fremont, OH
Walsh Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: CJRacer19 Hole #15 (Taken 9/2016)

Winds of Walsh

2-4    10/28/2017   10/29/2017
Review By: kinger
Pros:
~Excellent variety of holes
~Clean, well maintained course & park
~Well placed concrete tee pads
~Nice signage, easy navigation, and good flow
~Course starts and ends near the same pavilion
Cons:
~Although the concrete tees are nice, they could be a couple feet longer
~A majority of the course intertwines with pedestrian walking paths
~A couple areas of grouped repetition (Holes 15-17 & 4-6)
Other Thoughts: I played this course during a blustery Autumn C-Tier sanctioned tournament. I really enjoy this type of course in which most holes are in the 275'-350' range with defined multiple routes from tee to the basket, moderate elevation, and modestly wooded with fair obstructions. Walsh park provides a very nice layout with a great variety of holes. The paved walking path that snakes throughout the course defines out of bounds areas which creates a nice added challenge. While the path benefits the course layout, it also keeps the disc golfers tied to pedestrians which could disrupt flow and cause safety concerns. The park is nice and well maintained, navigation is easy and the course flows well overall. The first half of the course primarily plays in the more open areas among mature trees with a few holes that provide nice elevation changes. Hole 9 is a 600' par 4 with out of bounds along both sides of the fairway. The back nine takes you up and down a sizable hill then back up hill to a wooded section of shorter, tighter fairways. Hole 18 is a great downhill shot over/through trees. With great variety there are two sections noted in the cons above that essentially have similar laid out holes back, to back, to back. Each of these holes are very good, but grouped together does provide a bit of redundancy but this is more nitpicking than an actual con in my opinion. Hedges Boyer in Tiffin is my go to course while back visiting family, but Walsh will definitely be worth the 30 minute drive to revisit as often as I can. All in all a great course, that is in a style I typically prefer to play!

I Was On Pace To Break The Course Record And Then I Played # 2!

1    7/25/2017   7/25/2017
Pros: Walsh Park Disc Golf Course is located in Veteran's Memorial Park. This is a very large park with wide open green grass, some hills and some pretty thick brush and forest areas. The park has picnic pavilions, rest rooms and a popular walking path which seems to be everywhere.

The course which starts right next to the large pavilion, has a small kiosk with map. The teepads are newly poured concrete. They could be a little longer. The nice colored tee signs cover all the basics, hole #, distance, par, map and the next tee arrow. Each hole has a sponser. Some of them remember a loved one passed. The baskets are Mach ll's.

There is a sign below the course map stating that "King" Darrick Gorenflo holds the course record with 10 under par 45. Now Germany had their King Ludwig, we in Seattle have our king, "King" Felix Hernandez and I guess Fremont has their "King" Darrick. Speaking of the King's record, I threw in about a 75' pitch on hole 1 for a birdie. I thought for sure I was going to break the King's record but then things went to hell quickly and I ended up about 10 over. No record for me!

The course is fairly long in places, open on some holes and very technical in other places. This makes for a nice mix of throws and skills needed to score well here. # 3 is a fun 453' throw downhill to an open basket. # 8 is interesting at 297' with two good sized trees lined up directly in front of the basket giving you either a left or right route to the basket. # 9 is 600' and there is a ditch running the length of the hole to give you trouble. # 14 is another interesting little hole at 297' but you have to miss the power poles and the support wires which are both in your line.

Cons: I didn't like #'s 15-16-17. They're all three short little Ace runs around 200' but they three play down a narrow path and # 15 especially, has nasty rough and a ugly, drop off on your left the entire length of the hole. I really dislike holes which play down paths or roads.

The grass was about 6" on most of the course. But in defense of whoever is in charge of the mowing schedule, it has been rainy as hell lately.

Concrete pads could be longer.

Course could be muddy and probably slippery in places during rains. Some steps would be nice on a couple of holes.

Lost discs are a definite possibility on the wooded holes.

Other Thoughts: I liked this course but could have liked it much more if not for three factors, none of which are the fault of the course. Just my bad luck, I guess. My rating will be fair but my memory here might be a little tainted.

1. The grass was 6 inches high and very wet at 7 am. The grass is high because the mowers haven't been able to mow lately because of the rain and the grass was wet because I chose to play very early in the morning. My shoes and socks were soaked after about 3 holes.

2. I noticed some mosquitoes about the 9th hole. As I was applying my repellent, my little bottle ran empty. My mistake. When I got to the wooded holes starting at # 15, the little bastards were swarming me. I basically ran through those three holes trying to outrun the pesky mosquitoes. They chewed me up something mean.

3. I failed on my attempt to break "king" Darrick's record. Well, basically because I suck.

Great Place

5+    11/17/2016   11/17/2016
Review By: axion
Pros: Great variety of shots.
Clean.
Well maintained.
Bathrooms.
Concrete Pads.
Playgrounds and Trails for other people in your group.
Cons: Only 1 teepad per hole, which results in only 4 holes 350'+
Baskets are Mach 2.
Other Thoughts: The lack of multiple teepad/length is my only real knock on the course.

The layout of the holes always has something to make up for the lack of length. The front 9 and back 9 are 2 different courses. Front 9 is open, using walking paths for OB, Trees for protection or forcing a line, 1 shot up a hill, and 1 shot down a hill. One shot is rather wide, OB on each side with the basket 350' on a small hill. On the front 9 you have multiple shots that force smart play around fair OB while allowing for multiple shaped shots.

The back 9 starts with an uphill tunnel shot. Moves to a downhill tunnel shot, with most choosing a spike hyper over a disc eating pond. 2 holes later you enter back to back wooded tunnels, with OB on the right, and a downslopes wooded area on the left. Followed by another short tight wooded tunnel with the basket set to the right. Finishing with another downhill hyper bomb.

The course is easily the best in the surrounding area. Do yourself a favor and try this one.

Great course

5+    9/4/2016   9/8/2016
Review By: marcmzr
Pros: Concrete pads and mach2 baskets which are better than most but not the best. Great mix of open and tight fairways. Elevated shots where your throwing brown to the basket and one throwing up to the basket.
Plenty of trash bins and benches. Open restrooms. Playground for kids. Just a real beautiful park. Holes seem to really make "disc golf" sense.
Cons: Couple holes are on top of each other. And one that's just wide open but has a elevated basket which helps. Back nine is kind of in a small area but does flow I guess. Gets muddy during wet season, definitely needs some grass in places on the back 9.
Other Thoughts: Great mix of holes. I threw backhand, forehand and overhand shots. Front 9 is a nice mix of long, open holes with the right touch of ob and trees. On hole 7 where it's wide open with ob on either side of the fairway ( not that it's really in play unless you throw a real bad shot) they added a mound that the basket sits on to add a touch of difficulty and second guessing to your putt. Hole 3 is a really cool elivated shot where your throwing down to the basket about 450'. I have to say that #1 is my favorite hole though. The back 9 is a lil more tight playing threw schull and woods. Seem to use a lot of different shots here. #15 can be annoying though, it's only 200' but proves to be one of the deciding holes to your round. #18 is another elevated shot and imho is the signature hole of the course. I really like the new set up and hope to see some events here. Could use some more trees in places but I hear that's in the works.

Nice Mix

5+    9/5/2016   9/6/2016
Review By: CJRacer19
This review was updated on 10/13/2016
Pros: Concrete Tee Pads, Elevation, mix of tight and open fairways, nice view of river on #14. A lot of good improvements have been done during the renovation.
Cons: Mach 2 Baskets, Could be mowed a little more often.

5+    8/22/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: packers
This review was updated on 12/30/2016
Pros: mix of long, short, difficult holes
elevation changes
bathrooms
multiply holes with basket on a mound
Cons: gets muddy during wet season especially on back 9
rough on back 9 can be thick