Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #E (Taken 10/2012)
3 / 320ft.   3 / 320ft.   3 / 430ft.   3 / 430ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #E Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
Idlewild Observations

5+    1/25/2017   1/31/2017
Review By: Oldalan
Pros: Everything that has been said previously by others pretty well covers the pros for this course. I would add the parks have been doing a better job in mowing, picking up trash, and keeping the greens on holes 3,11,15 clear of debris in the past couple of years.
Some of the holes now have somewhat easier lines to the basket due to trees and branches that have been cut due to age or weather.
Cons: Some concrete cores that surround the peninsula greens need to be stacked and fortified. The torrent of water after a big storm does a number on them and they wash down into the creek bed.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course a couple of hundred times and I still don't mind the beat down I get each time.
I have seen good players quit after the sixth hole in frustration and one day watched a Japanese family with about 14 people aged 6-80 with all kind of discs play all 18 holes in the same group... It took over 6 hours for them to finish, but they played all of the original 18 holes. After each throw, as a collect group, that would ooh or ah. You could here them throughout the park. It was pretty funny. Fred Salaz and Bob Herbert were the brains behind Idlewild and with the help of others made this course what it is today. I was told that a lot of times the workers had to park their cars outside the gates because the park was closed and they had to carry all their equipment to the course. There are a lot of dedicated people who make disc golf what it is today.

My new favorite

1    7/12/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: It's not shocking that Idlewild is my new favorite course; by the looks of it, Idlewild is A LOT of peoples' favorite course. What is unusual, however, is that I knew it would be my new favorite course after only the first 5 or 6 holes.

The course is serene, clean, and most importantly, fair. It is certainly challenging, but not so much that the course becomes a grind. Every time I made a bad shot, my first instinct was to go back and try again, because there weren't any shots that were so silly difficult that I didn't feel I had a chance. (This is a huge plus for me. The shots that I felt would be good out of my hand usually were, and the same was true with the bad; I felt like I got what I deserved either way. On some exceptionally tough courses, it almost feels like luck is as big of a factor as skill; who gets the good bounce of the tree, who gets kicked OB, etc.) Other positives:

Despite the huge expanse of the park, navigation is not an issue.

Despite all the water hazards, prairie, and forests, it's hard to lose a disc (especially compared to courses of similar difficulty).

Despite how much other activity goes on in the park, it never interferes with the course.

Favorite holes: probably 3, 11, and 16. All of the ones that run along the stream, actually. All in all a great course that I wish I could play every day.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any. Alternate tee pads maybe?
Other Thoughts: I am re-scaling all of my ratings to account for Idlewild.

DG heaven

5+    6/12/2015   5/31/2016
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: * Variety -- every hole is different and offers its own challenges. Idlewild offers an excellent mixture between wooded and open, hilly and flat, short and long.
* Very few "filler" holes (maybe #F, if I'm being picky)
* A mental challenge -- accuracy is paramount, so consider each shot carefully. It you "throw and hope," you'll likely be sorry.
* Beauty -- the most aesthetically pleasing course I've encountered. I've seen deer and squirrels and birds and lush green fairways and vibrant wildflowers ... hence the review title.
* Peaceful -- I've played Idlewild at least half a dozen times and typically have the park almost to myself.
* Artistic tee signage -- just one of the many touches that makes Idlewild great.
* Challenging -- when you make a par (or birdie) at Idlewild, you earned it!
Cons: * Could use a couple more navigation signs indicating "next tee."
* Can get muddy at times.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is an excellent benchmark for disc golf courses.

Not for the faint of arm

1    5/16/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Thoughtful, fair, and makes you use your entire arsenal of shot selection, and your brain.
Cons: If the grass is high, it's hellacious. If you can't throw more than 300-320' on a drive, you might have a hard time making par.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful work with the club to do what they have done with it. This course has teeth if you can't hit the landing zones. But if you take it a chunk at a time, you can do this!

Top Course in the Country

5+    3/12/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: This is a professional Disc golf course that will make you use every throw you know. If you play the strict OB this course really pushes you. The greens are very unique and help to set this course apart.
Cons: This course is not for beginners. If you are new to the sport, you may be better of going down the road 5 minutes to Boone Woods.
Other Thoughts: A group of 4 will take over 2 hours to play if you are doing all 24 holes. Take your time to enjoy this beautiful park.

A disc golf destination

2-4    3/14/2016   5/14/2016
Review By: DoctorC
Pros: What else can I say, I've been golfing for a long time and this is easily one of the best courses I've played. Truly a course you travel to play - a disc golf destination.
Cons: No casual rounds here :)
Other Thoughts: Just a fantastic course!

One of the best around!

5+    6/9/2015   5/9/2016
Review By: bangtailsaints
Pros: Will make you throw every shot in your arsenal. Beautiful island greens and running streams. One of the prettiest courses around. To truly experience Idlewild you have to play 24 longs. The water shots are awesome.Bring water and a snack!
Cons: Summertime brings the ticks. Make sure you check yourself after your round!
Other Thoughts: Don't think about it, it's worth the trip hop in the car and grab some friends and some disc!

The name says it all!

1    7/4/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: jscincy1
This review was updated on 1/1/2017
Pros: - While its not the best maintained course I have ever seen, it still finishes high. When you take in the amount of acreage in up keeping this course its kept nice.

-The tee signage is probably the best I have seen. The multiply pin placements and having a marker on the side if the tee signs marking the pins was great!

- Even though the concrete is showing some wear the nice long boxes are in great condition.

-Shot variety is the spice of life here. With multiple "pure" placement shots of the tee, the second shot is key to success. With that said a hzyer line of the tee (rhbh) often force an anny or forehand on the approach.

-Coming from playing a lot courses that usually play 54 par from all tees this was a rude awakening. This course in my opinion is championship caliber. I was not ready for it by any means and put up a terrible showing by the end of the day but it was worth every second.
Cons: *Disclaimer* Every course has it cons, however I feel as if Idlewild's doesn't detract from its over all score as much as people would think. If you can look past the minor things, you see the beauty.

-Navigation. With added letter holes, multiple tee pads someone is bound to get lost here. A few well placed signs on the end of F, 12, and 13 short would negate this completely.

-Multiple pins on one hole. This was a new thing for me and didn't really enjoy it. On 3 the short basket gets in the way, for me at least, on the approach to the other pin. This is just more a nit pick though on my part.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is a long course. If you are not in great shape and plan on playing all 24 holes pack a lunch and take a break halfway through. If you are remotely tired towards the end this course will eat you and spit you out. With that said this place sits on special land and you can feel it. Must play for any fan of high level disc golf... Even if you cant throw at a high level yourself!

Greatest Course

2-4    5/5/2010   6/5/2015
Review By: blclevenger2
Pros: I cant say anything that hasn't already been stated. It's easily my favourite course.
Cons: NONE
Other Thoughts: Beautiful lines that require you to bring strategy into consideration. The follow was awesome and never felt rushed while playing. It was like having an entire course all to my self.

Too much fun to pass up

5+    4/5/2015   4/9/2015
Review By: therevjoe
This review was updated on 4/18/2015
Pros: Technical, long,difficult, water, 24 holes...what more could you ask for?,
Cons: I have no complaints about Idlewild
Other Thoughts: Started playing here last fall, and as a beginner, it was an eye opener. WOW! This game is not easy! Played there all winter. Even in the snow. Have not even come close to par yet, but still have to list this as my favorite place to play. Playing all 24 holes is definitely a challenge, but the course is simply too much fun to pass up the chance.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12