Philadelphia, PA
Sedgley Woods Share
Uploaded By: Tolbert Hole #21

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
some original old-school disc golf

1    3/10/2019   3/13/2019
Review By: DumfriesLizzie
Pros: My rating will be higher when I play 19-27. Didn't have that much time, so only played 1-18. As noted by all, tight and technical. But has its charm. I like that there is a variety of downhillers, uphillers, some holes that are both, and some flat stuff. I like that 9 and 18 are long(ish) and straight. One wants to finish without a lot of drama, yes? The community that runs this seems to be a passionate bunch, and that is necessary for this park which is in an edgy part of town and needs the real support it gets.
Cons: The passionate bunch that runs this park are also pretty funky people. If you are not funky yourself (totally or somewhat), you might feel a bit unsafe with the crowd, I am slightly funky, so I felt pretty good with the community here. There is a lot of graphic graffiti to be offended by if you are not at all funky. There are a few creepy but artsy masks hung up in trees. Mardi Gras theme? Nailed that, for sure. As noted by all, the tightness of 1-18 requires caution and care on everyone's part. If you have any mobility issues, the rolling hills will be tough on you. I suspect all the walking required of holes 19-27 will be too. I am accustomed to red tees being the short tees (coming from the ball golf world). Was a bit confusing for those to be the long tees. Eventually, I got over that, of course. Every bench was dilapidated; some of us do need to sit down from time to time. The baskets are super-old but still solid. On my next visit, I will park in the newer parking lot across the street which looks to have even and complete asphalt. The close parking lot is largely dirt/mud and has some serious dips (low-riding vehicles, ease across these and the driveway apron).
Other Thoughts: This is a historic course, and I agree diehard disc golfers need to come to this mecca at least once. I will certainly play it again when next in Philly and try holes 19-27 and pair that with either 1-9 or 10-18. I particularly liked holes 3, 7, 9, 10-11, 18. I'm not sure if no. 5 has two baskets or if the closer one is meant to be a practice basket. Probably the former, but I couldn't tell. As someone else mentioned, a lot of info on the signs is totally obliterated by stickers, drawings, and graffiti. I came on a drizzly Sunday morning. I was on the course with 1 or 2 other single players, one duo or trio, and a large group of guys (6-7). We all got along just dandy.

Sedgley is a time travel experience!

1    1/29/2019   1/29/2019
Review By: HyooMac
Pros:
+ The first 18 holes are a very good old wooded city park course. The holes are fairly short, but the elevation changes and the trees make them all interesting. Then starting on hole #19: a completely different course! Much tighter, a bit longer. Clearly built with today's game and discs in mind.
+ You'll be happy if you brought along your RH forehand. Later in the round, it will come in very handy.
+ Choice of three tees on every hole. I played the blues for my first visit, to get a sense of the place. I'll play the yellows for sure. Some of the reds (especially on the last 9) look extra challenging.
+ There's a good map at the first tee area - take a photo.
+ Lots of different layout combinations on UDisc - so I imagine playing here never gets boring.
+ 19: Three terraced tees, and an old cobblestone walkway most of the way down until you rise up to the elevated green. Look for the manmade pond at the base of the rise up to the green. This hole feels great - like you're headed into a magic forest or something...
+ 20: the green will surprise you. After all this time in the woods (holes 1-19), you suddenly pop out onto grass.
+ 21: Another set of terraced tees - each one a challenging shot down to a basket placed halfway down a fairly steep slope. Don't let this shot get away from you!
+ 22: uphill this time, with some great old guardian trees creating gates up the fairway. Throw carefully.
+ 23: tight RH dogleg with water trouble down past the basket. Make sure to look for the extra basket out in the middle of the pond (a joke, right? Right???)
+ 24: Tight, up, straight. Great basket position on a small rise, with a big dropoff behind and right.
+ 25: You want to shape a hyzer to get to the green but watch out for those damned trees to the right of the fairway. And being far right is death.
+ 26: The basket here is probably a signature of Sedgley, with all the tree limbs over and around it.
+ 27: A very good finishing hole. One of the longer ones at Sedgley. Nothing fancy - but it's tight.
Cons:
- There are a few long walks between holes on 19-27. The walk from 20-21 is a bit confusing, and the walk from 24 to 25 is really long (but at least there's signage tell you it's 450 ft!).
- Long walk back to the parking lot from 27.
- Mud can be a problem - dress accordingly.
- The signage on the final nine is a little spotty (at times, nonexistent). Take a photo of the map near Tee 1 - it will help you your first time around.
- Others have written about how close the baskets are to tees on the front 9 - and they really are. I have to think this place gets a little crazy when it's crowded. My advice: if there are other groups on the course, try to keep an eye on where they are!
+ From the looks of things around the first tee, this is a club that knows how to party: tables, benches, even gas grilles!
+ I play a lot in NJ, and I'm fairly close to Greystone Woods. About 4 holes in on the last 9 at Sedgley, I found myself thinking "Hey! I thought I was playing in a nice old city park. How did I end up at Greystone???"
+ I'm so glad to have spent some time at Sedgley, and I really recommend playing all 27 holes, because the first 18 and the last 9 are both worth experiencing - like two completely different eras of disc golf at a single location.

Perhaps The Most Over-Loved Course In America!

1    4/29/2018   4/29/2018
Pros: Sedgley Woods DGC is northern Philadelphia claims to be the oldest course on the east coast. I think Ben Franklin might have installed these baskets. They are getting a little tired looking. Each has been painted about a dozen times, and vandalized countless more times.

The course has the most amazing staging area I've ever seen. Here you'll find two large picnic tables, countless chairs and benches, two practice baskets, a three sided kiosk with all kinds of information, at least two heavy metal locking storage bins like you have in the back of your pick up truck, a barbecue, a small wood burning stove, some kind of a drying rack, I think ?, lots of players just hanging out before or after their round and probably many other items I missed. I also talked to one of their board of directors who had a key to one of the locking containers. Among other duties, he collects money for bag tags, calls and collects $1 for returning discs, sells water, rents discs, collect donations, and who know what else. All profits go back into the club's bank.

The 27 hole course is well designed and frankly, quite amazing in it's complexity. Each separate 9 hole set up begins near the staging area. The first two nines are amazing in how close proximity the holes are to each other. Some tee boxes are just a few feet from the last basket. Fairways are just feet from each other but somehow this all manages to work. There are three separate tees, the longer Reds, the middle Yellows, and the short recreational length, Blues. I played only the Blues and estimated many of them to be less than 200'.

The amenities are old and very worn and covered with graffiti. The tee pads are a combo of patio block and concrete. I think they have just recently replaced some of the oldest pads with new patio block ones. The signs are trashed. A few are still legible but many are covered with paint and stickers.

I found the last nine (holes 19-27) to be a little longer, a more challenging and containing more interesting and creative hole designs and interesting basket placements. # 20's basket was set up with a downed tree in front of it as well as a downed tree. # 24 features a raised basket protected by a group of trees. # 26, I think, was another very cool and fun basket placement with a downed tree and a very cool leaning tree just in front of the basket which obscures part of your puttIng line.
Cons: Long walkout (1/5 mile) from 24 to 25.

Graffiti everywhere.

Equipment is old, tired looking and covered with stickers.

The entire course is in such close proximity that there must be some safety concerns.

The staging area, while cool and most interesting, also is fairly junky looking. I'm think the Park Department must be understanding and very tolerant.

Lots of erosion issues. If this course was located in Minnesota, park officials and the environmentalists would would have roped off/closed off many parts of the course.
Other Thoughts: This must be the most over-loved course in America. The usage it apparently receives seems to be amazing. But like any park type facility that receives so much use, it comes with drawbacks in the form of erosion, overuse, graffiti, large groups, etc. The players I encountered were friendly and courteous allowing me to play through.

Sedgley Woods is really an enigma. It is an historical institution being possibly the first course on the east coast. The amount of heavy use it receives is readily apparent and all this use causes problems. The local club seems very active and recent improvements are evident. I only wish idiots would quit painting the signs and plastering them with stickers. I like to be able to read the information on them.

One of the oldest and one of the most fun courses

5+    9/20/2017   9/22/2017
Review By: Redzo
Pros: Awesome wooded course nestled among one of America's biggest parks. 27 holes of awesome, challenging disc golf. Always being maintained and updated, and always full of friendly people. Always a pleaser experience.
Cons: None

good but crowded

1    8/11/2017   8/11/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Sedgely Woods is a well taken care of parks style course with an additional nine wooded holes that play much differently than the rest (27 holes total).

The first 18 holes have some nice variety with some elevation change and some short ace runs, but lack enough longer holes or multi-shot holes to really stay interesting. Add to this the fact that many holes play on top of each other and that the course is very popular, and it becomes a bit of a safety hazard. During our round, we were constantly having to wait on the group in front of us, having the group behind us throw into us, and having shots from neighboring holes cross in front of us.

It's a very fun course, but I wouldn't even consider playing the long tees with the park as crowded as it was -- there was enough overlap as is, and it can be frustrating to be constantly both waiting for your turn to throw, and rushed to finish once you do.

The final nine holes in the woods were like night and day compared to the first 18, though. Very wooded, and apparently not very popular as we only saw one or two other groups back there.

Everyone seemed to be having a great time, though, and was very friendly. Worth visiting if you are in Philly.

Urban treasure

1    4/14/2017   4/15/2017
Review By: EJLESQ
Pros: 27 holes 10 minutes from Center City on a bad day.
3 different tee pads for folks with differing skills.
Tight and hilly with some real challenges, but some holes are very birdy-able.
Great clubhouse area with lots of info.
Lots of benches to sit on if you're waiting
Cons: - I wasn't there when it was crowded and we still ran into some folks. I can see things getting crazy on a crowded day.
- Signage is spotty. Sometimes you know where you're going, other times not. We wandered for 20 minutes between hole 24 and 25 because there was no indication that hole 25 was 300 yards down a narrow path running along the train tracks.
- No real wide open holes for ripping a tee shot.
Other Thoughts: Very cool course and worth the trip down into the city from the burbs. But beware and do it on a week day morning or early afternoon when the crowds are sparse.
Instead of making a bunch of new benches (which are nice) they should invest a bit in refurbishing the signage.
The last 9 (holes 19-27) are really cool and secluded from the rest of the course with some interesting obstacles and trees.
Some nice city views as well.

Very Cool Inner City Course

1    10/16/2016   10/17/2016
Review By: will1442
Pros: 27 holes, inner city play, seems to be a nice community of locals that play there. I played this course with 2 of my friends yesterday and we all had a lot of fun. There are no very long holes, its more of a tight and technical course that will have you pulling every shot you can think of out of the bag. There are some very cool holes but there are also some very forgettable holes. We came at 10AM on a Sunday and the locals were already setting up a bbq and tv to watch the Eagles game. We thought this was awesome and if we didn't already have plans we most likely would have stayed. My friends and I agreed that we actually like holes 19-27 the most, this may bc we weren't as worried about being hit by an arrant disc though. Either way this is a very cool course.
Cons: The course has so many holes that are right on top of each other to the point that almost every hole you are making sure you aren't throwing into anyone or having someone throwing into you. Hole number 13 in particular is a blind downhill shot where the next tee box is literally 10ft away from the basket (this is the case for many holes but this one in particular stuck out). A disc came about 2 feet away from knocking me the hell out. While mostly every hole on the course is on top of another we found that we could always see if there were people that we may be throwing into or throwing into us. Minus that one hole.. Jesus throwing from yellow on 14 is scary.
Other Thoughts: Great short technical course. Can be a bit scary at times. Could have better signage, we did manage to get a bit lost a couple times.

challenging course for beginners

1    7/20/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: spencervh
Pros: need to mention that this was the first place I ever played. I thought it was a good introduction to the game, with some straight-forward holes and others that needed explanation on how to get to the basket. the foliage makes for a challenging and fun obstacle on almost every hole.
Cons: difficult for beginners, distance-wise and obstruction-wise.
tees are decently maintained but signage and park are overall coated in garbage.
Other Thoughts: a good course that motivates me to get better. the drive distances are hard for someone new to the game and i spent a few holes looking for my disc in the brush but I think this course is great, especially for being in such an urban area.

Classic

2-4    6/26/2016   6/29/2016
Review By: templink
Pros: Free parking, free to play. Easy enough to navigate. I felt challenged on many holes to thread a small gap, make a sharp turn, shoot blind, avoid trees, etc. I felt there were no gimmies, even on the shortest holes. There seems to be a big group of locals who play here weekly.
Cons: Some fairways are adjacent. Crossfire happens. No water in play. No signature hole.
Other Thoughts: As the name implies, it is a "woods" course. Despite this, I wish there were a couple of wide open, grip and rip holes just for fun.

Great City Course

1    4/25/2016   4/26/2016
Review By: TBabb
Pros: Sedgley Woods Disc Golf is located within Philadelphia's fabulous Fairmount Park. It's been around since the late 70's adding to Philadelphia's rich history. 27 holes snake through a moderately wooded grounds. Baskets seem like they've been around for a while but they're still in good condition. The tees are a mixture of concrete, flypads, and natural tees but all are in good condition. There are three tees on every hole; the short tees make for a nice par three recreational course and the longer ones mostly add a few extra feet and maybe a less forgiving window to the fairway. One can find free parking at the course which is noteworthy for a city where parking is hard to find. Furthermore, if you're from out of town and driving in Philly, the course is pretty easy to get to without having to do too many crazy Philly traffic maneuvers (unless you get lost). There is a nice mixture of shots. The grounds are kept very nicely, fairways are well-defined, very little overgrowth, and very little litter. There are port-a-potties in the parking area and a large bulletin board at the head of the course with information about nearby courses, regular events and tournaments, and an "alien" to feed lost discs to (presumably, there is a system for those lost discs to find their owners too). The front 9 and middle 9 loop around to the head of the course in case anyone needs to scoot out early. I found the locals to be friendly and helpful.
Cons: Most holes are very short. Even the long tees have few holes over 300 feet. I rarely threw a driver for the whole round. The course design is just a little too tight. Fairways play really close to one another and I'm sure that an errant shot could interfere with another round on crowded days. The course is so compressed that I actually caught myself throwing at the wrong basket on more than one occasion. On nice weekends I imagine the course can get incredibly crowded. I played at 10am on a Monday morning so I had a pleasant round with only a few other groups playing around me, but I'm sure that a crowded day can make for a long round. While still a challenging course, most holes are rather forgettable and there isn't much of anything that would qualify as a signature hole. The back 9 ends far away from the parking lot and it's a little tough to find one's way back. More signage on the back 9 would be nice and there's a big meadow on the back 9 that would make for some nice longer shots that isn't utilized. Maps on tee signs (when they're present) aren't particularly helpful and some have fallen victim to vandalism making them useless.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great course for recreational players to work on their control, short game, and get-out-of-trouble shots. There seems to be a really nice community of players here and courses right in the middle of a major city like this one are few and far between. Players used to playing suburban/country courses with more room may find this underwhelming, but it's definitely worth seeking out. If you're visiting Philly, I'd suggest playing your first round here on an off peak time of day, maybe when it's a little overcast or cool even. You'll avoid the crowds and enjoy a wonderful little course with a wonderful city to the east of you. Pick up a few deuces and find a cheese steak after to replenish your caloric deficit (and then some)!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6