1 Helpful / 0 Not
Sufficient Practice Course @ Best
Pros: - The park area itself is a nice recreational area
Cons: - Baskets are Innova DISCatcher but are poorly maintained. (Chains are very rusty and a couple baskets are broke.)
- No info or markings whatsoever. (No maps, par info, distances, ETC...)
- No real tee boxes present
Other Thoughts: I have played this course in the past and it has been in this shape for awhile. There is some serious potential for the course and I don't think it would take much money or effort to really make it into a fun 9-holer. In all honesty that's a lot of the reason I have given it just 1 of 5 discs. If you need a couple practice hole to play before you head up to Baraboo Lions DGC, it might be worth the stop.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Pros: + There are baskets (well 7.5 of them)
+ Pond in center of park makes for a few interesting shots
+ The island hole (the signature hole... if you can all it that) is unique
+ Small course in a small community may introduce some to disc golf (also see cons)
+ Not even a full block off of highway 12, making the "course" very easy to locate
+ Convenient store next door to park
+ Fair use of the few trees on the "course"
Cons: - A couple of baskets vandalized, one completely unusable (see pictures - sadly, the most interesting flight lanes on the course end up at that very basket)
- Very small course in a small park
- Largely lacking interesting holes/shots
- no real tee pads - just rocks placed throughout the park marking the proximity of where you should throw from
- No signs or hole numbers on the (Innova) baskets, making navigation very difficult
- Although there are some trees here and there to contend with, it does not often affect the line of throw
Other Thoughts: By the looks of the course, it appeared the townsfolk may not really know (or appreciate) the sport of disc golf. Sadly, I wonder if this "course" may be more damaging in showing new players to the sport than a positive introduction to it. If this were the first course I had ever played, I may have dismissed disc golf entirely equating it to no more than a game of safe lawn darts. Although the size and layout of the park will always limit the courses potential, hopefully someone in the area may take an interest in keeping the course presentable.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
I didn't actually see the bluff!
Pros: 1) Not a bad small town 9 hole course.
2) Water in play on the island hole as well as 2 other holes which is not seen frequently in WI for some reason or another.
3) Large boulders mark each tee so it helps in navigation.
4) Nice use of the trees on 4-5 of the holes. There are a couple unique holes here which is nice and the trees and water are an integral part of this because there is no elevation, minimal distance variation, etc, etc, etc.
5) Great short family course right near Devils Lake State Park which sees a lot of families for camping and what not.
Cons: 1) Boulders do not have the Hole # on them so there is no easyw a to figure out what hole goes where. I think I figured it out but there were a couple times the layout feet wkward.
2) Island hole is cool but only 100' long. It would be nice if the signature holes was more than just a jump put or an upshot.
3) DIscatchers must have come from a course that got taken out because I cannot believe those chains are already rusting. Perhaps there is
4) Not enough distance variation to be interesting. They are all putter, or mid-range shots, perhaps a driver or two by choice, but overwhelmingly beginner friendly.
5) Grass tees are always a negative even if the grass is in perfect condition. Better than mulch or gravel, but not as good as concrete.
6) No tee signs, no course sign, no rules sign, no benches, no garbage cans, no amenities of any kind . . . just a gas station to go and buy refreshments.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed myself despite the drawbacks of this course. it may have been just another course played but I see the character of this course and how it will certainly introduce some of the small town kids to give the game a shot. It is a perfect beginner friendly course and for that reason alone I still like that this course exists.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.