Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #11 (Taken 6/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
Not a great course.

2-4    8/11/2019   11/5/2019
Review By: mdeeter
Pros: There are very few pros for this course.

The tee pads are large and concrete.

The course seems like it's maintained often.
Cons: This course is not good. The layout is confusing and the fairways are way too close to each other.

I love wooded courses (NC disc golf is awesome!) -- but this course could have a few removed. There are way too many poke-and-hope holes.

There are some areas of the course where it looks like the mud has been around for a long long time. If it weren't for the mud, I'd suggest that the course is cart friendly.

I'm sure the locals love it because there aren't many great options in the area... but I'll never willingly return to this course.
Other Thoughts: Update: Lol. Someone "Reported" my review.

Man, seriously... people are allowed to have different opinions. I literally hated this course. It wasn't fun for me and I'll never return.

beautiful, challenging, must play course

1    8/9/2019   8/9/2019
Review By: Peltier
This review was updated on 8/11/2019
Pros: Easy to navigate. Excellent signage. Nice baskets. Variety of terrain. Elevation changes. Optional water holes. Awesome pro shop. Driving range. 2-3 tees per hole. 3 baskets per hole and they are all in every time (not just moved around like most courses.) Rakes to get your disc out of water areas and deeper mud spots. Nice protective wooden fences in danger holes. Cement tee boxes. Garbages on a lot of holes. Benches to rest on many holes.
Cons: Muddy on some holes. $5. Do not get disc out on water holes. Not many cons. Great course.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps the best course I have played. What a great job they did. They did not take any shortcuts at all on this course.

Simply amazing

2-4    7/15/2018   8/2/2019
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: Multiple tees, multiple pins.
Gorgeously maintained.
Pro shop is fantastic.
Cons: Water hazard on the last hole eats discs
Other Thoughts: Manitowoc (and surrounding area) is a yearly trip for myself and my discing buddies. This course and Silver Creek are hands down two of the best courses in Wisconsin.

Could be awesome

1    6/28/2019   6/28/2019
Review By: Freebird
Pros: The tees are the best I've ever played. It's pretty scenic in places and the man made structures are impressive. There is an appropriate level of challenge for players of all levels. The pro shop and bar are very nice.
Cons: This course is wet. Granted it rained the night before we played but the foot-deep prints from before we got there and the boards placed to help cross some of the worst areas tell the tale. A couple of the water hazards were so disgusting you'd think twice before reaching in to retrieve a disc, and the bugs were awful. I made a nice throw to right at the base of the terraced pin placement at 14, and ended up almost knee deep in water and mud when I reached my disc.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if it would even be possible to fix the water/mud issues but I'd love to spend a weekend here in th middle of a long drought.

5 Star Amenities; 4.25 Star Golf

1    11/12/2018   11/13/2018
Review By: Countchunkula
Pros: Rollin Ridge is a true disc golf destination. The 18 hole course, with 3 baskets on each hole and three tees on all but a handful of holes, is able to cater to all skill levels simultaneously. Camping is available on site and there is a fully stocked pro-shop and bar.

Baskets and tees are color coded based on difficulty/distance: Black (long), Red (medium), and Orange (short). Red baskets have solar lights for night play. The color coding and extra signage makes navigating an 18 hole course with 54 baskets and 50ish tees way easier than it should be. The equipment on this course is nicer than any I've encountered. Signs are informative, easy to ready and visually appealing. Tees are amply sized, trapezoidal, level, concrete with a foul line. Baskets are all powder coated in the appropriate color. Many tees have been elevated a few feet and have decorative rock around the tee area and used as steps. Black baskets are DGA Mach X and I believe both Red and Orange are DGA Mach 3s. All are in excellent condition.

The many tees allow for a wide variety of tee shots and there are many different putting looks. Since the course is mostly in the woods, there are many different lines required to score well. Water is in play on a few holes to provide natural OB and the risk of disc loss. You are not allowed to go into the water hazards, but there are poles provided to retrieve slightly errant shots. The ponds are cleared periodically, and owners of marked discs are contacted. There is some good rolling terrain (both in the woods and in the open) that is used to improve the fun, variety and challenge of the course. While the shortest layouts are all par 3, the longer tee and basket combinations feature many par 4 and par 5 holes. The wooden structures are amazing. Nice benches are at every tee; tees are protected by decorative barriers; wetlands are traversed via boardwalk; baskets are elevated; greens are defined. Other than the wide variety of options, the wooden structures are probably the defining feature of Rollin Ridge.
Cons: In my opinion, Rollin Ridge lacks the dramatic, wow factor that I associate with the highest echelon of courses. While the property offers the primarily wooded (with some open area) mix of terrain that I believe to be ideal for disc golf, there aren't many holes that really stand out to me as memorable from a disc play perspective. Don't get me wrong, there are some fun tee shots here (and quite a few tiiight gaps), but not that many where I stood on the tee in awe of what was in front of me. Normally this isn't the kind of thing that finds its way into the cons section, but this is a top 5 course. I most definitely experienced the wow factor often at the two courses that I currently have rated 5 discs (and at most of the ones that I've rated a 4.5).

While having three baskets and three tees on each hole exponentially increases variety, it also lends to a busy, congested landscape. The many decorative walls around tees are necessitated by the close proximity of some of the holes. With three tees and three baskets, the potential shank area for each hole is immense. Many tees would be in the danger zone without the wooden barriers.

Some of the lines felt a little forced. Some holes definitely supported multiple tee and basket positions, but others felt unnecessary. Adding another tee or placement didn't always make the hole better (even considering various skill level targets)..
Other Thoughts: This review is based on playing the orange to orange and black to black layouts. I scoped the route to the other baskets from each tee, and I'm much better at visualization than execution, so I feel that I got a sense of some of the other options on these holes. With that said, I'll be back at some point and will hit the red tees and play some of the other combinations to see if my opinion changes significantly.

This is an excellent course and a worthy road trip destination. It can be interesting reviewing highly regarded courses, I'm giving Rollin Ridge a 4.5, but felt as if I really had to justify that in the cons. Here as with most of the course that I've graded as a 4.5, the cons are nothing that should scare anyone away. They are just how I differentiate the courses that I consider among the best of the best.

Gorgeous property

1    8/21/2018   9/2/2018
Review By: Fishndisc
Pros: Absolutely amazing course with surprises around every corner! How challenging you want to make it is your choice! 3 pads and 3 pins on every hole opens up so many ways to play every round. The pro shop has tons of gear plastic and very friendly people!
Cons: There is nothing wrong with this course!

Maybe the Course Of Your Lifetime

1    8/25/2018   8/29/2018
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: I had driven up to Wisconsin from Cincinnati to play a good many courses in a long weekend , but this was the course that I had heard so much about . After playing a little earlier , I pulled into the gravel lot and parked . There were already several cars in the lot , most of which had at least 2 people in the car with their backpack and large sidearm bags . Many who play here are your most serious players . But the guy and his girlfriend who parked next to me and were carrying 3 discs apiece in their hands also personified that this course is for everyone . I immediately knew this course was going to be special when I saw 2 putting baskets , of which one you could adjust to elevate the basket , and a driving cage to warm up your heavy first throws . I walked into the clubhouse and was met by a young man at the counter and paid my $5 . He asked if I needed a pencil and scorecard or map , and I told him I already had printed those off . I thanked him and walked to the first tee . This course has it all . 3 long and grippy tee pads per hole , 3 Mach X baskets per hole , everything manicured . The fairways are actually fairways , the rough is rough , has water , elevation , length ( I threw at a 1000+ foot hole on #3 off of an elevated wooden deck with a concrete pad ! ( Thanks for my score of 5 on that one ) . The first hole I played the pro tee which is about a 400 foot dogleg fade left . The next hole is a water carry ( better be able to throw a straight 300' drive ) that the basket is on an incline . Then comes the longest hole on the course . The course is easy to follow , has everything you would want or need . Benches , excellent signage . Trash receptacles , great bridges . The course designer Steve Pisaro , had a lot of land and elevation to work with , and he used it all . Creativity just flows during your round and from hole to hole . There are elevated tees you have to throw from , elevated baskets to throw to , a wooden wall that has several elevations in which to corral your drive or approach into ( if you can get though the trees leading to it ) I had quit playing the pro tees/baskets after #3 and took to the intermediates . 10 different players could give you 10 different signature holes on this course . Personally , mine was 18 , ( although I liked the hole with the wooden wall in front of the hill the basket set on a lot , too ) , which can be about 500' with some open lanes , that leads to a basket that sits behind a small nasty pond and is entombed by small trees around it . I had an absolute blast playing this course . You can mix and match tees and baskets to essentially play to your skill set any time . The guy and his girlfriend were playing the easiest ( orange ) baskets and seemed to be having a lot of fun , too . If you are a disc golf enthusiast , or just experience one of the best disc golf courses in the world , then get a round or 2 in at this Mecca Of The Midwest .
Cons: There are no cons . All disc golf course designers need to come here for a day in order to know what an innovative and professional disc golf course would look like at it's best , then take those ideas back to where they came from and use those ideas to make a course .
Other Thoughts: $5 to play this course all day ? And a pro shop/grill/bar right in the middle of it ? I would have gladly paid double for just 1 round . My only regret was that I had to move on . A destination course to beat all destination courses . I have played for 25 years , and played courses like Morley Field ( San Diego ) , De La Veaga (California ) , Idlewild , and have played 500+ courses in my lifetime , just started reviewing courses because I felt I owed the game something , and have only kept score of the # of courses I played since 2014, and can safely say that this is the best , most rounded disc golf course I have ever seen . I may never give a 5 rating to a course again , but this course deserves it . Thanks

Variety is the spice of life

2-4    8/20/2017   6/25/2018
Review By: Muskiebite
Pros: 3 tees and 3 baskets on every hole
The different tee and basket combinations can really change the type of throw. Short pin might be a hyzer left, longer pin might be a hard right.
All tee pads are nice and built up, well signed
Clubhouse/Proshop selling drinks, food and discs
Warmup area with baskets and driving cage
Camping available on site (Very Rustic though)
Cons: Can get a little wet and soggy
Other Thoughts: This is how you make a disc golf course. Yes it's one course but with 3 tees and 3 baskets there's 9 different courses if you play from same tee to the same basket.

if you start mixing and matching short to long, medium to medium, short to medium there are millions of combos.

All the holes have unique feel to them, there's hardly ever a "filler" hole.

My First 5

1    9/8/2017   11/17/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.885 Rating) A World Class Experience. Rollin Ridge blows away everything I've played as of this review (183 courses).
- 5 STAR CHARACTER - It's hard for me to envision a course with more amenities and comfort items. It has everything. It starts off when arriving. The first thing I noticed was the two practice baskets with one of them in a raised position, a first for me. The second thing that stood out was a netted enclosure, and upon further inspection I realized it was a driving range, also a first. Third, the clubhouse and spacious deck. The deck has numerous picnic tables that over look the ninth hole's black basket location. Along the west side of the deck and along the outside clubhouse wall, is a giant course map with all the tee and basket distance combinations. There are scorecards with map, pencils, bug spray and community board postings. A door to a restroom with a sink is along this wall as well. And then there's the inside of the clubhouse itself. A bar with numerous stools, a pool table, a lost disc rack with hundreds of returns, over a thousand new discs available for purchase, a guest book sign in, a map to pin where a player has visited from, etc. etc. It's simply amazing.
- TEE EXPERIENCE - Three large and beautiful concrete tees at just about every hole, Orange, Red and Black. They may not be the widest I've played but they are still five to six feet wide at front and tapper wider in the back, the optimal shape. The stone work and flower beds around many of tees looks amazing. Hands down the most visually stunning tees I've every stepped foot on. The tees are well shaded and provide wind blocking at about 80 to 90 percent of the tees. There is seating for what seems like 8 people on every hole. The hole signage is sensational. Beautiful and color coordinated showing all the obstacles, all the tees, all the basket locations and the direction to the next tee in most instances.
- 54 BASKETS - While standing on the first tee I noticed the omission of basket location indicators at the tee. So I ran down fairway to check the location, thinking how can a top course omit such an item. Just as I finished my thought I looked up and saw a MachX at each of the three positions, Orange, Red and Black baskets. There are 54 MachXs to shoot at out here, 3 at each hole.
- MULTIPLY FORMATS - With the 3 tee and 3 basket set up, there are nine playable options at 16 of the 18 holes, and 6 options at (7) and (16). This combination gives the player the option to never play the same layout twice. Want a quick round? play Orange to Orange. Want a long difficult round? Play Black to Black. The combinations are endless.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - In my top 3 for most beautiful courses I've ever played. As mentioned above stunning tees. Perhaps it was the time I played but there were lots of wild flowers blooming along the open holes. Lots of older pines and mixed deciduous trees to throw through. Several fairways designs are worthy of pausing to take out a phone and snap a picture. Lots of well done woodworking along the course, from benches, to errant disc protection, to bridges, to hole (14) with its wood-crafted backdrop and to hole (8) with its 100 foot long teeing deck .
- CHALLENGING - The Black tee to Black basket combo looks championship level difficult. A par 69, 8,851 foot layout with lots of shop shaping and needle lines to thread through. My guess is that only players with a rating of about 970 or above will break par on a routine basis.
- NAVIGATION - Not flawless but really good for a course with this type of set up. The only confusing area was (6) to (7) and (14) to (15), in which these holes all kind of converge a bit. The course map on the scorecard helped and there are numerous directional signs along the layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Among the top 5 most diverse layouts I've ever played. Sweeping par 3s, Several par 4s, a couple long dogleg left par 4s and a couple par 5s. Open holes through heavily wooded holes. Lots of tunnel fairways, tee shot gaps, pockets left and right and basket windows to hit. Shot shaping will be a major requirement. I personally would not call any of these fairways as poke and hope shots. I've seen many much worse offenders in Florida and also on a couple John Houck courses (no disrespect to John Houck, I love his course designs). There are also few water elements in play on holes (1) (2) and (18), and some moderate elevation changes. Most notable elevation is on (10) which is about a 40 foot down shot from the Black tee.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Other than players with less than 50 rounds in the bag, Rollin Ridge will appeal to all the remaining skill levels, even pro players.
- MAINTENANCE - The course grounds were in immaculate shape. Seriously how many people do they have here keeping up the grounds? Several holes had well thinned out fairways and edges. Only bad ricochets or throws well off line will end up in some thicket.
- PAY TO PLAY - Only five dollars to play? Are you kidding me? Please take my money.
Cons: There is nothing of substance wrong with Rollin Ridge. All the listed cons below are nit picking items that come with making a course of this caliber, or they are site issues.
- FORGIVENESS - As stated above, I thought all the lines were fair, but just because they're fair, doesn't mean they are easy. Several lines were less than 10 feet wide. Ricochets in the wrong direction or grip locks could be very punishing. There is a swamp along much of hole (2) and a menacing small pond on (18) between the Orange and Red basket. By looking at the disc return collection, you can tell people lose plastic out here quite often.
- BOGGY - As mentioned in many other reviews, there are a few holes here that appear to not drain well. (4) (5) (13) and (14) seemed all slightly boggy during my round. I kept my feet dry the whole time, but I could see some issues after heavy rains.
- POISON IVY - I spotted poison ivy a few times along the layout but it was always a small plant. I wonder if they come through on occasion and take it out.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - I wouldn't advise bringing newer players here. Way too many trees here for players not adjusted to throwing discs on a fairly precise line. The short Orange to Orange layout looks best served for rec level players with over a year of experience. I brought my mom with me to play this one, and although she loved the sheer beauty, she got a bit frustrated hitting trees, hole after hole.
- PARKING - One of the better gravel parking lots I've seen, but still gravel.
- TIME PLAY - Rollin Ridge is going to take a chunk out of a player's day. My group of two spent almost 2 hours on the course. Plus we spent another 30 minutes mulling around the clubhouse after the round. I just didn't want to leave and time will just fly by here.
Other Thoughts: I played Red tees to Orange baskets and it was perhaps the most enjoyable round I've ever played. I drove into Reedsville a bit skeptical of its 4.84 rating but was left blown away by the totality of the experience. At round conclusion I considered Rollin Ridge to be best course I had ever played and my scoring method backed my initial thoughts up. Rollin Ridge is the first course I've rated as a 5.0 on DGCR, something that I thought wasn't possible for a long while. I definitely hope to be back in the next couple of years as I do get back to Wisconsin once or twice a year. I want to try the Red To Red configuration or perhaps even see what kind of licking the Black to Black configuration can dish out. I can't recommend this course enough, you need to plan a trip here.

Second best paid course in wisconsin

5+    11/5/2017   11/5/2017
Review By: Arch on em
Pros: First off let me start by saying yes, I did say second best, highbridge is hard to beat. That being said this is a spectacular course in every aspect, the practice baskets are exceptional. They prepare you for every putt you might encounter on the course. The pro shop is next level, not just the disc selection but the food, the pool table, the fireplace and much more. The teepads (3 per hole) are sizable and always clean, even in the winter. The baskets are easily visible. The black baskets are hard to see sometimes but if you look a little bit you will find them. The basket locations are always challenging and cool ( watch out for roll aways). The swamp hole and the combination of open and wooded holes adds a level of difficulty that most courses lack. The lost and found is something that me and my friends have enjoyed very much, though you don't always get your disc back. Overall a disc golfers dream. The campsites allow you to stay for a whole weekend if you choose.
Cons: There aren't many
-The rocks around the teepads are kind of irritating and get in the way during winter rounds when you can't see them. really the only substantial problem
- the red baskets spit out alot if you putt with some pace so keep an eye out for that
-carts are useful but easy to capsize if you aren't careful
Other Thoughts: The dogs here are friendly so don't be alarmed. The driveway is a bit slick in the winter

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12