Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #13 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #13 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
Little Slice of Paradise

1    11/6/2020   11/9/2020
Review By: Kegelexercise
Pros: Being the #6 course in the world per DGCR, and a course I've wanted to play for years, my expectations for Rollin Ridge were very high, and I am happy to say that this little bit of property in rural eastern Wisconsin lived up to the hype.

1) Orange, Red, Black - each hole had three permanent pins with great Mach X baskets, and aside from two holes where the "red" and "black" shared a pad, each hole also had three large concrete tees. As will be mentioned early and often, this led to endless possibilities

2) Amenities - I can't imagine a course with more extras going on. Two practice baskets, one of them in a raised position. A netted enclosure you can use as a "driving range". A fully stocked pro shop with clean bathrooms, a pool table, and a bar. Camping available on site. Buckets available to use as trash cans at every tee. Benches on every hole. If it's an extra that you'd like to have at a course; you name it, RR has got it.

3) Quality/diversity of golf: Best I've ever played. Most of the course is in the woods, but I felt that all of the fairways were pretty fair, and that there was not a ton of "poke and pray", aside from a couple of pads where you had to split a really narrow gap early, but if you can't handle that, step up your game! Nothing like Dretzka's N9 - the gaps you needed to hit were all reasonable. L-R and R-L balance was very good, the phenomenal elevation on the site was used masterfully, water was an occasional threat, and you got your wide open bomber hole (3) for those who love that.

4) Challenge - players of nearly every skill level will be challenged here. RR may be a bit much for very new beginners, but the orange to orange layout is solidly challenging to rec/intermediate ams, the black to black is a bruising Championship-caliber course, and you can mix/match anything in between on tee or pin, and get something to challenge your skill level.

5) Inventiveness - The lengths the designers at RR went to combat what could have been some pretty serious issues was something to behold. The land area in use is actually not terribly big, and it could have led to space-cramping hell, but at literally every point at which an adjacent tee could potentially be buzzed by an errant shot from another hole, a wooden structure was built to protect players teeing off. It solved what could have been a major safety issue, and in addition, added a rustic character to this course. The 3-level retaining wall on hole 14 was super fun, and several raised basket structures (the pyramid on #4 comes to mind) were a treat.

6) Navigation - never have I seen navigational cues so omnipresent. Just about every hole had some kind of a "next tee this way" indicator, and they pointed out short/medium/long tees, to boot. If you were ever in doubt as to which way to go, you'd soon run into a sign showing you the way. The biggest potential mixup point (the path from 6->7 kind of intersecting with the path from 14->15) was very clearly marked. Printed maps are also available at the clubhouse.

7) Course maintenance - top notch. I played in late fall, where the "rough" had died down a bit, but I can tell even this time of year when the rough is allowed to grow wild during the summer or when it's kept in check, and RR gave me indicators that the rough is regularly well-tended to.
Cons: A handful of issues, mostly out of the control of the designers, or inevitable for a course of this caliber:

1) Lost disc potential - definitely a good bit higher than average. Probably inevitable here, considering the water hazards (the owners are NOT OK with players wading into the water - they've placed disc retrievers out by every water hazard), the fall leaf cover, and just being in the woods in general, but be careful with blind shots - a few tee shots go over hills that are hard to keep track of where you land. The clubhouse's lost disc return (100+ discs!) was a testament to this.

2) Swampy lowlands - we've gotten little rain in WI over the past couple months, and even now, some of the holes had soft, muddy ground. I could see this being a far bigger issue in the spring/summer when there's more rain, or snow-melt. I almost wonder if digging some sort of a canal into the natural ponds on site would be helpful - the designers held nothing back when building tee-protection walls, after all.
Other Thoughts: During my day off, I managed to get four rounds in before I had to head back to town: one from the red to red, one from the orange to orange, one from the orange to red, then again (kind of losing track of time, and realizing I needed to hit the road in short order) from orange to orange. Combine that with being a sunny, 70 degree day in November, and what a completely perfect set of conditions. The $5 pay to play fee felt like a woeful underpay. Support these guys by using their pro shop if you can too (at this time, only open Fri-Sun)!

All in all, Rollin Ridge was everything I was wanting, and a pleasure of a course to take a day off and travel to from nearby Milwaukee. I would call this course worthy of travel to no matter how far away you are. RR has camping on site for players who are looking for an affordable place to stay (probably more for after we get the COVID menace under control, but still), and with nearby Silver Creek (Manitowoc), you've got multiple high-end courses in the same area.

All in all, the wet ground/swampinesson parts of the course made me feel like this was a 4.75, but I opted to give Rollin Ridge the benefit of the doubt, given how much work clearly had went into this course, and masterfully solving other potentially killer issues.

Come here. Seriously. This course should be on every serious disc golfer's wish list.

Fantastic Course

1    9/5/2019   12/30/2019
Review By: elemenopee7
Pros: - 3 tees and 3 baskets for each hole, all finished
- Great use of the land. Uphills, downhills, good mix of left/right/tight/open/left/right/straight holes.
- Very interesting structures, all well built. Someone put a lot of effort and expense into this course.
- Epic clubhouse with pro shop, bar, fireplace, pool table, outdoor deck/patio, practice baskets (one of them elevated 6 ft), netted tunnel (similar to a batting cage) with radar for speed clocking
- Onsite camping

edit: I almost forgot, night play! Baskets have solar lights on the tops for glow rounds.
Cons: - One or two super tight "spray and pray" holes
- A couple of holes are in an area prone to getting muddy
- Pay to play (but totally worth it)
Other Thoughts: I went on a road trip across the northern U.S. and stopped at at least 25 courses rated 4+ on this site. Many of the high ratings were undeserved, this was not one of them. Rollin' Ridge was the third (or so) course I stopped at and for the rest of the trip no course was definitively better though a few were comparable. Spoke with the owners at the clubhouse and heard some of the ideas for additions yet to come (I seriously hope they build the fire tower idea I pitched to them) Anyway this is an S-tier course and I can't wait for an excuse to go back.

Not a great course.

2-4    8/11/2019   11/5/2019
Review By: mdeeter
Pros: There are very few pros for this course.

The tee pads are large and concrete.

The course seems like it's maintained often.
Cons: This course is not good. The layout is confusing and the fairways are way too close to each other.

I love wooded courses (NC disc golf is awesome!) -- but this course could have a few removed. There are way too many poke-and-hope holes.

There are some areas of the course where it looks like the mud has been around for a long long time. If it weren't for the mud, I'd suggest that the course is cart friendly.

I'm sure the locals love it because there aren't many great options in the area... but I'll never willingly return to this course.
Other Thoughts: Update: Lol. Someone "Reported" my review.

Man, seriously... people are allowed to have different opinions. I literally hated this course. It wasn't fun for me and I'll never return.

beautiful, challenging, must play course

1    8/9/2019   8/9/2019
Review By: Peltier
This review was updated on 8/11/2019
Pros: Easy to navigate. Excellent signage. Nice baskets. Variety of terrain. Elevation changes. Optional water holes. Awesome pro shop. Driving range. 2-3 tees per hole. 3 baskets per hole and they are all in every time (not just moved around like most courses.) Rakes to get your disc out of water areas and deeper mud spots. Nice protective wooden fences in danger holes. Cement tee boxes. Garbages on a lot of holes. Benches to rest on many holes.
Cons: Muddy on some holes. $5. Do not get disc out on water holes. Not many cons. Great course.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps the best course I have played. What a great job they did. They did not take any shortcuts at all on this course.

Simply amazing

2-4    7/15/2018   8/2/2019
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: Multiple tees, multiple pins.
Gorgeously maintained.
Pro shop is fantastic.
Cons: Water hazard on the last hole eats discs
Other Thoughts: Manitowoc (and surrounding area) is a yearly trip for myself and my discing buddies. This course and Silver Creek are hands down two of the best courses in Wisconsin.

Could be awesome

1    6/28/2019   6/28/2019
Review By: Freebird
Pros: The tees are the best I've ever played. It's pretty scenic in places and the man made structures are impressive. There is an appropriate level of challenge for players of all levels. The pro shop and bar are very nice.
Cons: This course is wet. Granted it rained the night before we played but the foot-deep prints from before we got there and the boards placed to help cross some of the worst areas tell the tale. A couple of the water hazards were so disgusting you'd think twice before reaching in to retrieve a disc, and the bugs were awful. I made a nice throw to right at the base of the terraced pin placement at 14, and ended up almost knee deep in water and mud when I reached my disc.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if it would even be possible to fix the water/mud issues but I'd love to spend a weekend here in th middle of a long drought.

5 Star Amenities; 4.25 Star Golf

1    11/12/2018   11/13/2018
Review By: Countchunkula
Pros: Rollin Ridge is a true disc golf destination. The 18 hole course, with 3 baskets on each hole and three tees on all but a handful of holes, is able to cater to all skill levels simultaneously. Camping is available on site and there is a fully stocked pro-shop and bar.

Baskets and tees are color coded based on difficulty/distance: Black (long), Red (medium), and Orange (short). Red baskets have solar lights for night play. The color coding and extra signage makes navigating an 18 hole course with 54 baskets and 50ish tees way easier than it should be. The equipment on this course is nicer than any I've encountered. Signs are informative, easy to ready and visually appealing. Tees are amply sized, trapezoidal, level, concrete with a foul line. Baskets are all powder coated in the appropriate color. Many tees have been elevated a few feet and have decorative rock around the tee area and used as steps. Black baskets are DGA Mach X and I believe both Red and Orange are DGA Mach 3s. All are in excellent condition.

The many tees allow for a wide variety of tee shots and there are many different putting looks. Since the course is mostly in the woods, there are many different lines required to score well. Water is in play on a few holes to provide natural OB and the risk of disc loss. You are not allowed to go into the water hazards, but there are poles provided to retrieve slightly errant shots. The ponds are cleared periodically, and owners of marked discs are contacted. There is some good rolling terrain (both in the woods and in the open) that is used to improve the fun, variety and challenge of the course. While the shortest layouts are all par 3, the longer tee and basket combinations feature many par 4 and par 5 holes. The wooden structures are amazing. Nice benches are at every tee; tees are protected by decorative barriers; wetlands are traversed via boardwalk; baskets are elevated; greens are defined. Other than the wide variety of options, the wooden structures are probably the defining feature of Rollin Ridge.
Cons: In my opinion, Rollin Ridge lacks the dramatic, wow factor that I associate with the highest echelon of courses. While the property offers the primarily wooded (with some open area) mix of terrain that I believe to be ideal for disc golf, there aren't many holes that really stand out to me as memorable from a disc play perspective. Don't get me wrong, there are some fun tee shots here (and quite a few tiiight gaps), but not that many where I stood on the tee in awe of what was in front of me. Normally this isn't the kind of thing that finds its way into the cons section, but this is a top 5 course. I most definitely experienced the wow factor often at the two courses that I currently have rated 5 discs (and at most of the ones that I've rated a 4.5).

While having three baskets and three tees on each hole exponentially increases variety, it also lends to a busy, congested landscape. The many decorative walls around tees are necessitated by the close proximity of some of the holes. With three tees and three baskets, the potential shank area for each hole is immense. Many tees would be in the danger zone without the wooden barriers.

Some of the lines felt a little forced. Some holes definitely supported multiple tee and basket positions, but others felt unnecessary. Adding another tee or placement didn't always make the hole better (even considering various skill level targets)..
Other Thoughts: This review is based on playing the orange to orange and black to black layouts. I scoped the route to the other baskets from each tee, and I'm much better at visualization than execution, so I feel that I got a sense of some of the other options on these holes. With that said, I'll be back at some point and will hit the red tees and play some of the other combinations to see if my opinion changes significantly.

This is an excellent course and a worthy road trip destination. It can be interesting reviewing highly regarded courses, I'm giving Rollin Ridge a 4.5, but felt as if I really had to justify that in the cons. Here as with most of the course that I've graded as a 4.5, the cons are nothing that should scare anyone away. They are just how I differentiate the courses that I consider among the best of the best.

Gorgeous property

1    8/21/2018   9/2/2018
Review By: Fishndisc
Pros: Absolutely amazing course with surprises around every corner! How challenging you want to make it is your choice! 3 pads and 3 pins on every hole opens up so many ways to play every round. The pro shop has tons of gear plastic and very friendly people!
Cons: There is nothing wrong with this course!

Maybe the Course Of Your Lifetime

1    8/25/2018   8/29/2018
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: I had driven up to Wisconsin from Cincinnati to play a good many courses in a long weekend , but this was the course that I had heard so much about . After playing a little earlier , I pulled into the gravel lot and parked . There were already several cars in the lot , most of which had at least 2 people in the car with their backpack and large sidearm bags . Many who play here are your most serious players . But the guy and his girlfriend who parked next to me and were carrying 3 discs apiece in their hands also personified that this course is for everyone . I immediately knew this course was going to be special when I saw 2 putting baskets , of which one you could adjust to elevate the basket , and a driving cage to warm up your heavy first throws . I walked into the clubhouse and was met by a young man at the counter and paid my $5 . He asked if I needed a pencil and scorecard or map , and I told him I already had printed those off . I thanked him and walked to the first tee . This course has it all . 3 long and grippy tee pads per hole , 3 Mach X baskets per hole , everything manicured . The fairways are actually fairways , the rough is rough , has water , elevation , length ( I threw at a 1000+ foot hole on #3 off of an elevated wooden deck with a concrete pad ! ( Thanks for my score of 5 on that one ) . The first hole I played the pro tee which is about a 400 foot dogleg fade left . The next hole is a water carry ( better be able to throw a straight 300' drive ) that the basket is on an incline . Then comes the longest hole on the course . The course is easy to follow , has everything you would want or need . Benches , excellent signage . Trash receptacles , great bridges . The course designer Steve Pisaro , had a lot of land and elevation to work with , and he used it all . Creativity just flows during your round and from hole to hole . There are elevated tees you have to throw from , elevated baskets to throw to , a wooden wall that has several elevations in which to corral your drive or approach into ( if you can get though the trees leading to it ) I had quit playing the pro tees/baskets after #3 and took to the intermediates . 10 different players could give you 10 different signature holes on this course . Personally , mine was 18 , ( although I liked the hole with the wooden wall in front of the hill the basket set on a lot , too ) , which can be about 500' with some open lanes , that leads to a basket that sits behind a small nasty pond and is entombed by small trees around it . I had an absolute blast playing this course . You can mix and match tees and baskets to essentially play to your skill set any time . The guy and his girlfriend were playing the easiest ( orange ) baskets and seemed to be having a lot of fun , too . If you are a disc golf enthusiast , or just experience one of the best disc golf courses in the world , then get a round or 2 in at this Mecca Of The Midwest .
Cons: There are no cons . All disc golf course designers need to come here for a day in order to know what an innovative and professional disc golf course would look like at it's best , then take those ideas back to where they came from and use those ideas to make a course .
Other Thoughts: $5 to play this course all day ? And a pro shop/grill/bar right in the middle of it ? I would have gladly paid double for just 1 round . My only regret was that I had to move on . A destination course to beat all destination courses . I have played for 25 years , and played courses like Morley Field ( San Diego ) , De La Veaga (California ) , Idlewild , and have played 500+ courses in my lifetime , just started reviewing courses because I felt I owed the game something , and have only kept score of the # of courses I played since 2014, and can safely say that this is the best , most rounded disc golf course I have ever seen . I may never give a 5 rating to a course again , but this course deserves it . Thanks

Variety is the spice of life

2-4    8/20/2017   6/25/2018
Review By: Muskiebite
Pros: 3 tees and 3 baskets on every hole
The different tee and basket combinations can really change the type of throw. Short pin might be a hyzer left, longer pin might be a hard right.
All tee pads are nice and built up, well signed
Clubhouse/Proshop selling drinks, food and discs
Warmup area with baskets and driving cage
Camping available on site (Very Rustic though)
Cons: Can get a little wet and soggy
Other Thoughts: This is how you make a disc golf course. Yes it's one course but with 3 tees and 3 baskets there's 9 different courses if you play from same tee to the same basket.

if you start mixing and matching short to long, medium to medium, short to medium there are millions of combos.

All the holes have unique feel to them, there's hardly ever a "filler" hole.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12