Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #7 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #7 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
My First 5

1    9/8/2017   11/17/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.885 Rating) A World Class Experience. Rollin Ridge blows away everything I've played as of this review (183 courses).
- 5 STAR CHARACTER - It's hard for me to envision a course with more amenities and comfort items. It has everything. It starts off when arriving. The first thing I noticed was the two practice baskets with one of them in a raised position, a first for me. The second thing that stood out was a netted enclosure, and upon further inspection I realized it was a driving range, also a first. Third, the clubhouse and spacious deck. The deck has numerous picnic tables that over look the ninth hole's black basket location. Along the west side of the deck and along the outside clubhouse wall, is a giant course map with all the tee and basket distance combinations. There are scorecards with map, pencils, bug spray and community board postings. A door to a restroom with a sink is along this wall as well. And then there's the inside of the clubhouse itself. A bar with numerous stools, a pool table, a lost disc rack with hundreds of returns, over a thousand new discs available for purchase, a guest book sign in, a map to pin where a player has visited from, etc. etc. It's simply amazing.
- TEE EXPERIENCE - Three large and beautiful concrete tees at just about every hole, Orange, Red and Black. They may not be the widest I've played but they are still five to six feet wide at front and tapper wider in the back, the optimal shape. The stone work and flower beds around many of tees looks amazing. Hands down the most visually stunning tees I've every stepped foot on. The tees are well shaded and provide wind blocking at about 80 to 90 percent of the tees. There is seating for what seems like 8 people on every hole. The hole signage is sensational. Beautiful and color coordinated showing all the obstacles, all the tees, all the basket locations and the direction to the next tee in most instances.
- 54 BASKETS - While standing on the first tee I noticed the omission of basket location indicators at the tee. So I ran down fairway to check the location, thinking how can a top course omit such an item. Just as I finished my thought I looked up and saw a MachX at each of the three positions, Orange, Red and Black baskets. There are 54 MachXs to shoot at out here, 3 at each hole.
- MULTIPLY FORMATS - With the 3 tee and 3 basket set up, there are nine playable options at 16 of the 18 holes, and 6 options at (7) and (16). This combination gives the player the option to never play the same layout twice. Want a quick round? play Orange to Orange. Want a long difficult round? Play Black to Black. The combinations are endless.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - In my top 3 for most beautiful courses I've ever played. As mentioned above stunning tees. Perhaps it was the time I played but there were lots of wild flowers blooming along the open holes. Lots of older pines and mixed deciduous trees to throw through. Several fairways designs are worthy of pausing to take out a phone and snap a picture. Lots of well done woodworking along the course, from benches, to errant disc protection, to bridges, to hole (14) with its wood-crafted backdrop and to hole (8) with its 100 foot long teeing deck .
- CHALLENGING - The Black tee to Black basket combo looks championship level difficult. A par 69, 8,851 foot layout with lots of shop shaping and needle lines to thread through. My guess is that only players with a rating of about 970 or above will break par on a routine basis.
- NAVIGATION - Not flawless but really good for a course with this type of set up. The only confusing area was (6) to (7) and (14) to (15), in which these holes all kind of converge a bit. The course map on the scorecard helped and there are numerous directional signs along the layout.
- UNIQUENESS - Among the top 5 most diverse layouts I've ever played. Sweeping par 3s, Several par 4s, a couple long dogleg left par 4s and a couple par 5s. Open holes through heavily wooded holes. Lots of tunnel fairways, tee shot gaps, pockets left and right and basket windows to hit. Shot shaping will be a major requirement. I personally would not call any of these fairways as poke and hope shots. I've seen many much worse offenders in Florida and also on a couple John Houck courses (no disrespect to John Houck, I love his course designs). There are also few water elements in play on holes (1) (2) and (18), and some moderate elevation changes. Most notable elevation is on (10) which is about a 40 foot down shot from the Black tee.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Other than players with less than 50 rounds in the bag, Rollin Ridge will appeal to all the remaining skill levels, even pro players.
- MAINTENANCE - The course grounds were in immaculate shape. Seriously how many people do they have here keeping up the grounds? Several holes had well thinned out fairways and edges. Only bad ricochets or throws well off line will end up in some thicket.
- PAY TO PLAY - Only five dollars to play? Are you kidding me? Please take my money.
Cons: There is nothing of substance wrong with Rollin Ridge. All the listed cons below are nit picking items that come with making a course of this caliber, or they are site issues.
- FORGIVENESS - As stated above, I thought all the lines were fair, but just because they're fair, doesn't mean they are easy. Several lines were less than 10 feet wide. Ricochets in the wrong direction or grip locks could be very punishing. There is a swamp along much of hole (2) and a menacing small pond on (18) between the Orange and Red basket. By looking at the disc return collection, you can tell people lose plastic out here quite often.
- BOGGY - As mentioned in many other reviews, there are a few holes here that appear to not drain well. (4) (5) (13) and (14) seemed all slightly boggy during my round. I kept my feet dry the whole time, but I could see some issues after heavy rains.
- POISON IVY - I spotted poison ivy a few times along the layout but it was always a small plant. I wonder if they come through on occasion and take it out.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - I wouldn't advise bringing newer players here. Way too many trees here for players not adjusted to throwing discs on a fairly precise line. The short Orange to Orange layout looks best served for rec level players with over a year of experience. I brought my mom with me to play this one, and although she loved the sheer beauty, she got a bit frustrated hitting trees, hole after hole.
- PARKING - One of the better gravel parking lots I've seen, but still gravel.
- TIME PLAY - Rollin Ridge is going to take a chunk out of a player's day. My group of two spent almost 2 hours on the course. Plus we spent another 30 minutes mulling around the clubhouse after the round. I just didn't want to leave and time will just fly by here.
Other Thoughts: I played Red tees to Orange baskets and it was perhaps the most enjoyable round I've ever played. I drove into Reedsville a bit skeptical of its 4.84 rating but was left blown away by the totality of the experience. At round conclusion I considered Rollin Ridge to be best course I had ever played and my scoring method backed my initial thoughts up. Rollin Ridge is the first course I've rated as a 5.0 on DGCR, something that I thought wasn't possible for a long while. I definitely hope to be back in the next couple of years as I do get back to Wisconsin once or twice a year. I want to try the Red To Red configuration or perhaps even see what kind of licking the Black to Black configuration can dish out. I can't recommend this course enough, you need to plan a trip here.

Second best paid course in wisconsin

5+    11/5/2017   11/5/2017
Review By: Arch on em
Pros: First off let me start by saying yes, I did say second best, highbridge is hard to beat. That being said this is a spectacular course in every aspect, the practice baskets are exceptional. They prepare you for every putt you might encounter on the course. The pro shop is next level, not just the disc selection but the food, the pool table, the fireplace and much more. The teepads (3 per hole) are sizable and always clean, even in the winter. The baskets are easily visible. The black baskets are hard to see sometimes but if you look a little bit you will find them. The basket locations are always challenging and cool ( watch out for roll aways). The swamp hole and the combination of open and wooded holes adds a level of difficulty that most courses lack. The lost and found is something that me and my friends have enjoyed very much, though you don't always get your disc back. Overall a disc golfers dream. The campsites allow you to stay for a whole weekend if you choose.
Cons: There aren't many
-The rocks around the teepads are kind of irritating and get in the way during winter rounds when you can't see them. really the only substantial problem
- the red baskets spit out alot if you putt with some pace so keep an eye out for that
-carts are useful but easy to capsize if you aren't careful
Other Thoughts: The dogs here are friendly so don't be alarmed. The driveway is a bit slick in the winter

a must play

5+    10/11/2017   10/12/2017
Review By: fartbox
This review was updated on 10/19/2017
Pros: non stop work being done to keep it up to standard. lots of trimming done recently to improve fairways and play.
fresh wood chips around tee pads to help keep tee-pads dry
3 permanent tee pads and pin locations
lights on red baskets for glow rounds.
tee signs for each tee-pad and pin location that are accurate.
fences around tee-pads to protect you from other peoples grip locks.
practice baskets for putting before round.
batting cage net to warm up the arm before a very technical hole 1.
lost discs come back 90% of the time always get a call if found.
tee-pads cleaned frequently
garbage cans on every hole
camping on property.
pro shop/bar
very friendly staff
pet friendly

Cons: can be rather wet in spring time, call to check on conditions before making a long drive.
Other Thoughts: so far I haven't found a coarse that compares to every thing the rollin ridge has to offer. definitely a coarse to go out of your way to play and experience. if you come out by yourself your guaranteed to run into someone that's willing to play a round with you.

Best course ever

1    9/25/2017   9/26/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: Let me start off by saying I've never rated a course 5 stars... ever. Usually there's always one or two things I can find that I would like to see different. That's just not the case here at Rollin Ridge. This place is phenomenal. Nearly every single hole is memorable.

From the moment you arrive you know this place is different. The pro shop is huge! Every disc that I needed and couldn't find somewhere else, they had here. There's a bar inside (with quite an extensive beer menu), a pool table, a lounge area, and the very large pro-shop in the back. There's a deck to hang out on outside too. The staff is very friendly as well! And helpful!

The practice baskets (yes multiple) are waiting for you right outside the pro shop. One is at typical height and the other is elevated to simulate some of the putting you see on the course. There's even a netted driving range as well.

On to the course... three teepads and three targets on every hole. So by my math that makes 9 different configurations of the course possible. We're not just talking shorter and longer here... each one has different angles and obstacles to consider. I don't see how you could ever get tired of this.

The tee signs are simply the best I've ever seen. Each tee pad (remember three per hole) has it's own tee sign specific for that pad's layout. Distances, OB, etc are all clearly defined on each sign... as well as a next hole indication (although you really won't need it).

The course itself is also terrific. Some hyzers, some flicks, a little water here and there, some tunnels, and some wiiiiiide open shots. Oh there's also a wall and a bowl... putt gently on those.

All in all this is simply the best course I've ever played...

- Concrete pads
- Multiple pins and tees
- Easy to read signs
- Variety on the course in elevation and woods
- Elevation
- Retrievers near water hazards
- Pro-shop
- Restrooms
- A bar!
- Multiple baskets
- An all around enjoyable round of golf!
Cons: Well... I'm stumped here. Usually I can find one or two things to complain about... but wow. The swamp water kind of stinks... and I saw a snake out on the course.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area... you have to check this course out. There is a $5 fee for playing, but it's well worth it. Park up front, grab something cold to drink in the pro-shop... then let her rip!!

Holy amazeballs Batman

5+    8/13/2017   8/14/2017
Review By: deadbody
Pros: Lets see.

3 distinct baskets per hole, all on different lines, requiring different shots.

Multiple concrete tees per hole, also offering different lines.

Great tee signs.

Great mix of holes. Long and open, short and technical, right and left turns, up and down hills. Over water shots with clear bail out areas.

Seriously I spent a weekend there, and played 5 different layouts, and I know there was more there to play.
Cons: I'm not really sure there is one.

I guess Black Baskets could have been a different color, its a little hard to find them at times without scouting up.

And the red basket lights for night rounds are motion activated so you have to like walk up to them to turn them on, then walk back to throw.

Those are the most minor and petty complaints I could possibly make and seriously those are the only things I would change.
Other Thoughts: Amazing courses, camping on site. Great courses for all skill levels.

A mature, world leading course.

1    7/20/2017   8/1/2017
Review By: Tim Hultgren
Pros: "If you build it, they will come." This course is crafted by someone who loves disc golf and it shows. Everyone talks about the thee great tees and three wide ranging basket choices, but we forget that the fun is mixing up the choices. We were recommended to play orange (short) tees to a mix of orange and red baskets. It turned out to be the perfect mix for our group of over 40-50 year old guys. So make a plan to mix it up and play a new course every time. I loved this course. Good elevation usage. Good basket placement with trees. Creative solutions to eliminate any possible boredom. The two or three water obstacles were well placed and allowed for all levels of players to enjoy every hole.
Cons: I found the course to be dry, but I could see that at times it might be soft in the lower parts of the course.
Other Thoughts: Ask to meet Steve the guy behind the course. A very cool guy. Be sure to thank him.

Disc Heaven

2-4    7/19/2017   7/21/2017
Review By: Dietrich Discing
Pros: This course is a must play for all players. Each hole had 3 different tee pads and baskets so it can be played by players of all levels. This course will test every shot. There are backhand and also forehand lines throughout the course. Each hole has a new twist to it. Many good basket placements, including elevated baskets. There was a good balance of long big arm throws and short, wooded, technical throws. There are some water hazards that make you decide if you should lay up or go for it. The lodge/pro shop was amazing. Not only did they have a very good selection of discs, the lodge had a bar and even a pool table to create a great place to hangout between rounds. There are two practice baskets in front of the lodge. One at ground level and one elevated. There is also a netted driving range to practice throws before you play a round. Steve, the owner is also a great guy that makes sure he talks to everyone.
Cons: The course can get quite muddy if it rains. I played three days after a really big storm and there was a good amount of mud on the course but it was very playable.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the best course I have played at. I would highly recommend this course to anyone.

home

5+    3/21/2017   4/28/2017
Review By: TeebirdDan
This review was updated on 5/1/2017
Pros: just pulling into this place to see the facility its self should impress any disc golfer no expence has been spared to make it top notch .the course with its three sets of HUGE teepads and three pins to make 9 different courses in one .every fairway is so different from the next .the layout has about everything water, elevation, wooded ,open .its all there .long to long is par 69 . ITs got some of the toughest wooded holes i have played and some parts of the woods are stunningly beautiful. The proshop/clubhouse with deck and practice /warmup area with driving net and two baskets . and camping on sight .
Cons: gets a little swampy in spring on the low land holes .
Other Thoughts: i can say this is without a dought a 5 star course that will only improve threw the years . is it one of the nations best ?, I think so but I must admit bias . these people are my friends and have made me and my son feel more welcome than any other disc golf scene in my home state . the ridge is special and so are its people.Also there are so many places i have yet to see.

Rollin Ridge

5+    11/5/2016   11/7/2016
Review By: DoUntoOthers
Pros: Everything about this place is great. 3 baskets per hole. 2 or 3 tees as a few holes use the same tee for black and red placement. Well stocked proshop. You usually get discs back if you went in the pond or marsh if your name was on it. Red baskets have lights for night rounds.
Cons: Lol, I don't throw far enough for this course.

Great Course

1    10/22/2016   10/24/2016
Review By: Bitter Mouse
Pros: This was the destination course for our fall disc golf road trip and it lived up to the billing. I rate courses just on the course itself, and not the clubhouse or other amenities, but rest assured the amenities are plenty good.

I loved the variety of holes and the challenge of the course. It is not gimmicky, just straight up hard. We played long to long and as an intermediate level player it really made me step up my game.

Not a huge amount of elevation, but they used it well.
Cons: The back nine was not quite as fun as the front - a touch too much technical (through the trees) type holes, some of which you could count on hitting trees.

Also the water was used well, but if you put a disc in the pond you are not allowed to pull it out. I get why, but for a destination course it is hard to walk away from lost discs. That said the folks in the clubhouse did say they would contact us for our one lost disk.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the trip out there. I wish we had played through a second time (we went to another course instead).

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11