Raleigh, NC
Kentwood Share
Hole #5 Tee: Uphill to the right, no trouble if you are in the middle.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
great fun course

1    12/29/2019   12/31/2019
Review By: zfish102
Pros: Short course that is beginner friendly.
Easy to navigate for the most part.
Variety of open/wooded shots as well as terrain variety.
Beautiful park.
Several ace runs.
Great variety of left to right and right to left shots.
Cons: Some holes overlap fairways or are very close to other fairways.
Can get busy.
Some teepads are broken.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to stop by and play if you're in the area and need a quick round. The first several holes provide open shots but have OB's that make the short nature of the course challenging. Several holes cross over a creek that runs through the park and makes it fun to try and push your throws. This park can get busy but the short nature of the park allows for minimal backups. Overall this is a good course and will play again when back in the area.

Small on Length, Big on Fun

2-4    10/13/2019   10/17/2019
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Great variety of fairway shapes despite short length.
- Very pleasant park to play through.
- Plays well for both beginners and intermediate golfers.
Cons: - Very short, challenge is limited for more experience players.
- Course equipment is somewhat lacking and showing its age.
- Layout is occasionally congested/potentially dangerous
Other Thoughts: Kentwood Park was a delightful discovery during my first visit to Raleigh. It's proximity to downtown and short length make it a great stop for people traveling to the area, especially those with limited time to go explore courses further from the city. It's short length also means you can easily play this course with one to three discs (also great for travelers). As an intermediate player (rated ~915) I threw a putter on most holes. That said, I still had a lot of fun playing the course, hunting for birdies, and there are a few uphill shots that play much longer than their posted distances where I broke out fairway drivers. My wife (rated ~725) also played a round with me, and really enjoyed playing a course where she had many more opportunities to birdie than usual.

For being so short, there is a really nice level of variety at Kentwood. I threw about an equal number of forehands and backhands off the tee, and many fairways play quite a bit uphill or downhill. Some holes are quite wooded forcing a particular line, while some are more open allowing for options off the tee. Bogie is definitely possible after an early tree hit on many of the more wooded holes. A few holes also have either a creek or ravine nearby to provide an additional challenge to navigate. That said, the average hole length is still only 225ft and more experienced players with better command of their discs may be bored with the lack of challenge.

The course layout is mostly good despite the relatively small footprint of the park. It is impressive that the designers got 18 holes in here, but it does present some occasional issues. Many fairways play close to each other, and two (I think #7 and #16) actually cross. With the volume of play this course gets, I can see this frequently being an issue. My rounds were quite early on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but there were still several other people out on the course, and by the time I finished it was getting quite crowded. Routing is occasionally confusing, and many baskets are close in proximity and I accidentally threw to the wrong one my first time on hole 14. This is mildly frustrating for first time players, but not a problem after your initial play, and the course is so popular I was easily able to ask someone where to go next the two times I was unsure.

The course equipment could definitely use some upgrades. The baskets are older, but still caught fine. The tee pads are an odd type of decoratively cast concrete, most of which have started deteriorating, some significantly. This isn't too much of an issue because of the short hole length, but both my wife and I were concerned with footing on a few occasions. There are no tee signs, but simple concrete blocks at the front of the tee pads with the hole length and number. Descriptive tee signs would go a long way to aiding in course navigation and preventing the occasional confusion as to which basket to throw to for first time players. There are two practice baskets near a pavilion and bathrooms which is quite nice.

One final thing to note is that the hillside the majority of the holes play on is very rocky. Footing can be precarious while walking up or down and throwing from the fairway. The ground surface can also wear discs quite quickly, especially DX plastic and its equivalents. I left with a handful of new scrapes and gouges in a few discs.

Kentwood Park is a short course but big on the fun factor. If you are traveling through Raleigh and short on time, this is a great place to get a round in. However, if you are a more experience player with more time, there are other courses further away from downtown that are likely more worth your time. Kentwood doesn't take long to play though, so why not do both?

Really fun course

1    9/4/2019   9/5/2019
Review By: JTuck7
Pros: Awesome designed course with a lot of elevation changes. So many birdie opportunities, but if you miss still very challenging. I really like the technical courses that allow you to use putters and mid-ranges for nearly the entire course. Helps the short game on the longer courses
Cons: Honestly, just that they should update the tees, baskets, and have a map at the location. I missed a few shots due to the old baskets (sure, I know I am reaching here, but it was a few birdies ;-) )
Other Thoughts: Enjoy a quick 18 hole course close to the NC State Campus. Cool Park.

First course!

5+    6/12/2009   6/12/2019
Review By: takman
Pros: -Easy to navigate all 18 holes
-Decent elevation changes for a NC course
-Lots of ace runs
-Mostly wooded but a fair course
Cons: -Rocky terrain can do some damage to your discs
-Course can get very busy due to its proximity to NC State
-Some criss-cross fairways to be aware of
Other Thoughts: This was the very first course I played and definitely inspired me to play more. Nearly aced hole one on my second ever shot with a disc. Course has held up well and always brings back memories of when I discovered the sport.

Nice Course

5+    10/7/2018   11/23/2018
Review By: JoshErp
Pros: Great Course for beginners and intermediates. It is a perfect course to work on your shorter game. For the most part don't even need to bring a driver except for 1-2 holes. Good changes in elevation and has a variety of layouts. Most holes are rocky and in the open. Others are dirt and grass. There are a few that are covered in pineneedles. Can have a quick and fun round. There are decent bathrooms, playground, picnic area, and small baseball field. Good place to bring the family.
Cons: It can be very crowded. Located next to NC State and during the summer the course is packed with college kids. Low quality baskets. Some holes interest each other. Not anyholes to unleash a driver on.
Other Thoughts: definetly a great course to start your disc golf career.

Deserves a better rating than it gets

5+    8/4/2018   8/4/2018
Review By: thumber_guy
This review was updated on 11/24/2018
Pros: Friendly to everyone, not just advanced players. Lots of birdie opportunities. One easy way to tell how good a course is - it's busy all the time!
Cons: A couple of fairways cross each other and it gets crowded a lot. Have to keep your head on a swivel!
Other Thoughts: The area needs more courses like Kentwood to encourage casual, younger and older players.

Short. Classic. Fun.

1    4/13/2018   4/13/2018
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 4/22/2018
Pros: Kentwood is a dinosaur in terms of disc golf courses. I felt like I had gone back 15 years when I started playing. And still, I had a great time playing here.
- This is an excellent short, mid-range course. Nothing longer than 300 feet here. Other than two uphill holes, everything was a mid-range or putter for me.
- Much to my surprise, there was a lot of variety in terms of layout. After playing the first two holes and seeing major potential risks of throwing at and parallel to a road, I was having doubts. From #3 onward, things got better.
- The course begs you to be aggressive. I was firing at baskets left and right. I think I had 4 tee shots land within 4 feet of the basket. I easily had that many hit trees, and several more sail 30 feet past the basket being too aggressive.
- A lot of elevation in the back of the course. Holes #5 - 9, 14, and 16 - 18 have you throwing up or down the hill.
- A lot of holes have tight gaps/fairways. If you hit the gap, you start thinking your disc has a chance. If you don't, just hope you got a favorable kick off one of the trees. #3 was one of my favorite holes on the course. You hit the gap here, your disc is most likely landing within 10-15 feet of the basket. My shot looked good for 2/3 of the hole, smacked a branch, and resulted in a boring up-and-down par 3.
- There are a lot of holes you'll want to throw multiple discs. Shoot, even on #1 I threw multiple discs. Just wait until you get to #8, 9, 16, 17, or 18. If the course isn't crowded, you'll be chucking multiple discs on these holes.
- Good for a quick round...when the course isn't crowded. I finished my 18 in about 35-40 minutes.
Cons: The biggest drawback of an outdated course is that it's too cramped.
- Let's see. Holes overlap each other. Holes play way too close together, which nearly led to my first black ace thanks to an unfortunate bounce off a tree. Baskets are too close to others at times. On #14, I played to the wrong basket. You only see the basket for #5. In that case, I can't be mad I missed my 25 foot 'birdie' putt.
- If the first time I played here was when the course was crowded, my entire impression would be 180 degrees from what this review says. I played at 9:30 on a Friday morning. A Saturday noon round would be sounding much different.
- Navigation needs to be improved, especially for first timers. If it weren't for another player teeing off the same time, I wouldn't have found the first tee. The tee signs are small markers in the ground, which are only visible up to a couple steps away. Also, throw a next tee sign/arrow or two up on the course. Going from #4 to 5 and #9 to 10 both could be easier with a sign.
- To add to that confusion, the baskets don't have numbers. Even though I saw plenty of baskets, I wouldn't have known which one was what. Same reason I played to the wrong basket on #14.
Other Thoughts: Kentwood isn't perfect. It isn't even great. Yet, there is a beauty in its simplicity. Expanded every hole by 50%, and now you have a 6,000-foot course. Shows you how far the game has come in 4 decades.
- If this park were installing a course today, you'd have a long 9-hole layout. There's no way an 18-hole course would ever be considered for a space this small now. This is a slice of vintage Americana, disc-golf style.
- I had a bunch of cons listed. If you noticed, they were almost exclusively centered around first-time players. For a regular player, you know the course like the back of your hand; you never even noticed the tee signs.
- I'd like to see some OB markers added, or more prominently displayed, on some of the holes, especially the ones near the creek bed - #9, 17, & 18. You make OB 10 feet past the basket on #17, suddenly this isn't an ace run shot.
- This course begs for low scores. I hit plenty of trees throughout my round, and yet I was never at serious risk for bogeying anything. I had a lot of relatively simple up-and-down shots.
- Just like the greasy, hole-in-the-wall burger joint, this course is much better than it appears. This is Raleigh's classic beginner's course. We have Reedy Creek in Charlotte. I have friends who remember only playing this course, or at least cutting their teeth here.
- Glad I finally played here. I feel like Lloyd Christmas reading framed newspaper headlines. I just discovered something that everyone else knew about years earlier.

Meh

1    6/8/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: Balzac
Pros: - Lots of elevation. Sits on the side of a hill so you play up and down.
- Course was very dry even with a lot of recent rain. Most of the course is rocky which helps this.
- Little undergrowth to hide discs.
Cons: - Tough to find your way around. Without the online map (from this site) I would never have been able to get through the course. Each tee pad has a marker that tells the hole number and distance but otherwise no signage. Baskets are not numbered so I wasn't even entirely sure I was always throwing at the right one.
- Layout is very crowded. Fortunately I played a morning round (8:15am) and there were no other golfers about. Seems like it would be a mess with a lot of people playing as the holes seem to crisscross and sit right next to each other.
- Baskets need repainted as they are sometimes difficult to see.
- Tee pads in poor shape.
- Close proximity to playground and baseball field. I realize that a lot of courses are like this but even being careful I had a shot bounce off the fence of the baseball field. Also a number of houses closely border the course.
Other Thoughts: My experience with this course definitely ended up better since I played an early round and there was no one else around playing golf, baseball, or on the playground. Again, it is difficult for a newcomer to find his or her way around with the lack of signs. Cramped. All things considered I definitely enjoyed the round I played (and I'm glad I checked it out), but the Triangle area has much better to offer.

Fun, but don't get too excited

1    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: -Some very technical shots through treelines; requires good accuracy and strategy
-Excellent landscape with elevation changes and woods
-A lot of fun for group disc golf
Cons: -Many holes are very short i.e 150-225, such that it gets monotonous. There are no opportunities to put some power behind your throws
-Crisscrossing fairways
-Bad tees that are too small to step into your throw
-Heavily littered, especially around the tee pads
Other Thoughts: The game of disc golf feels incomplete without an opportunity to use your favorite distance discs. Kentwood park is still a lot of fun if you enjoy the game and I am happy the neighborhood has a disc golf course. You probably will enjoy it most with a group of 4. With that said, I would not drive 5-10 miles to play here.

Such a Classic

5+    5/2/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: imnotgood
Pros: -Easy Access
-Great Walking Design
-Awesome course for beginners
-Variety of shots come into play
-Changes in elevation
-Good course for beginners
Cons: -Chains are notorious for chain outs
-Longest hole is still under 300ft
-Course can get pretty busy/crowded when class is in session at NCSU
Other Thoughts: Kentwood is a great local course. Good course to boost your confidence. This review would be higher if the course had added length. You can take a midrange and a putter out here and score low.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6