Raleigh, NC
Kentwood Share
Hole #18 Tee: Straight, ditch 30' short of basket.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Deserves a better rating than it gets

5+    8/4/2018   8/4/2018
Review By: thumber_guy
Pros: Friendly to everyone, not just advanced players. Lots of birdie opportunities.
Cons: A couple of fairways cross each other and it gets crowded a lot. Have to keep your head on a swivel!
Other Thoughts: The area needs more courses like Kentwood to encourage casual, younger and older players.

Short. Classic. Fun.

1    4/13/2018   4/13/2018
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 4/22/2018
Pros: Kentwood is a dinosaur in terms of disc golf courses. I felt like I had gone back 15 years when I started playing. And still, I had a great time playing here.
- This is an excellent short, mid-range course. Nothing longer than 300 feet here. Other than two uphill holes, everything was a mid-range or putter for me.
- Much to my surprise, there was a lot of variety in terms of layout. After playing the first two holes and seeing major potential risks of throwing at and parallel to a road, I was having doubts. From #3 onward, things got better.
- The course begs you to be aggressive. I was firing at baskets left and right. I think I had 4 tee shots land within 4 feet of the basket. I easily had that many hit trees, and several more sail 30 feet past the basket being too aggressive.
- A lot of elevation in the back of the course. Holes #5 - 9, 14, and 16 - 18 have you throwing up or down the hill.
- A lot of holes have tight gaps/fairways. If you hit the gap, you start thinking your disc has a chance. If you don't, just hope you got a favorable kick off one of the trees. #3 was one of my favorite holes on the course. You hit the gap here, your disc is most likely landing within 10-15 feet of the basket. My shot looked good for 2/3 of the hole, smacked a branch, and resulted in a boring up-and-down par 3.
- There are a lot of holes you'll want to throw multiple discs. Shoot, even on #1 I threw multiple discs. Just wait until you get to #8, 9, 16, 17, or 18. If the course isn't crowded, you'll be chucking multiple discs on these holes.
- Good for a quick round...when the course isn't crowded. I finished my 18 in about 35-40 minutes.
Cons: The biggest drawback of an outdated course is that it's too cramped.
- Let's see. Holes overlap each other. Holes play way too close together, which nearly led to my first black ace thanks to an unfortunate bounce off a tree. Baskets are too close to others at times. On #14, I played to the wrong basket. You only see the basket for #5. In that case, I can't be mad I missed my 25 foot 'birdie' putt.
- If the first time I played here was when the course was crowded, my entire impression would be 180 degrees from what this review says. I played at 9:30 on a Friday morning. A Saturday noon round would be sounding much different.
- Navigation needs to be improved, especially for first timers. If it weren't for another player teeing off the same time, I wouldn't have found the first tee. The tee signs are small markers in the ground, which are only visible up to a couple steps away. Also, throw a next tee sign/arrow or two up on the course. Going from #4 to 5 and #9 to 10 both could be easier with a sign.
- To add to that confusion, the baskets don't have numbers. Even though I saw plenty of baskets, I wouldn't have known which one was what. Same reason I played to the wrong basket on #14.
Other Thoughts: Kentwood isn't perfect. It isn't even great. Yet, there is a beauty in its simplicity. Expanded every hole by 50%, and now you have a 6,000-foot course. Shows you how far the game has come in 4 decades.
- If this park were installing a course today, you'd have a long 9-hole layout. There's no way an 18-hole course would ever be considered for a space this small now. This is a slice of vintage Americana, disc-golf style.
- I had a bunch of cons listed. If you noticed, they were almost exclusively centered around first-time players. For a regular player, you know the course like the back of your hand; you never even noticed the tee signs.
- I'd like to see some OB markers added, or more prominently displayed, on some of the holes, especially the ones near the creek bed - #9, 17, & 18. You make OB 10 feet past the basket on #17, suddenly this isn't an ace run shot.
- This course begs for low scores. I hit plenty of trees throughout my round, and yet I was never at serious risk for bogeying anything. I had a lot of relatively simple up-and-down shots.
- Just like the greasy, hole-in-the-wall burger joint, this course is much better than it appears. This is Raleigh's classic beginner's course. We have Reedy Creek in Charlotte. I have friends who remember only playing this course, or at least cutting their teeth here.
- Glad I finally played here. I feel like Lloyd Christmas reading framed newspaper headlines. I just discovered something that everyone else knew about years earlier.

Meh

1    6/8/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: Balzac
Pros: - Lots of elevation. Sits on the side of a hill so you play up and down.
- Course was very dry even with a lot of recent rain. Most of the course is rocky which helps this.
- Little undergrowth to hide discs.
Cons: - Tough to find your way around. Without the online map (from this site) I would never have been able to get through the course. Each tee pad has a marker that tells the hole number and distance but otherwise no signage. Baskets are not numbered so I wasn't even entirely sure I was always throwing at the right one.
- Layout is very crowded. Fortunately I played a morning round (8:15am) and there were no other golfers about. Seems like it would be a mess with a lot of people playing as the holes seem to crisscross and sit right next to each other.
- Baskets need repainted as they are sometimes difficult to see.
- Tee pads in poor shape.
- Close proximity to playground and baseball field. I realize that a lot of courses are like this but even being careful I had a shot bounce off the fence of the baseball field. Also a number of houses closely border the course.
Other Thoughts: My experience with this course definitely ended up better since I played an early round and there was no one else around playing golf, baseball, or on the playground. Again, it is difficult for a newcomer to find his or her way around with the lack of signs. Cramped. All things considered I definitely enjoyed the round I played (and I'm glad I checked it out), but the Triangle area has much better to offer.

Fun, but don't get too excited

1    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: -Some very technical shots through treelines; requires good accuracy and strategy
-Excellent landscape with elevation changes and woods
-A lot of fun for group disc golf
Cons: -Many holes are very short i.e 150-225, such that it gets monotonous. There are no opportunities to put some power behind your throws
-Crisscrossing fairways
-Bad tees that are too small to step into your throw
-Heavily littered, especially around the tee pads
Other Thoughts: The game of disc golf feels incomplete without an opportunity to use your favorite distance discs. Kentwood park is still a lot of fun if you enjoy the game and I am happy the neighborhood has a disc golf course. You probably will enjoy it most with a group of 4. With that said, I would not drive 5-10 miles to play here.

Such a Classic

5+    5/2/2015   5/4/2015
Review By: imnotgood
Pros: -Easy Access
-Great Walking Design
-Awesome course for beginners
-Variety of shots come into play
-Changes in elevation
-Good course for beginners
Cons: -Chains are notorious for chain outs
-Longest hole is still under 300ft
-Course can get pretty busy/crowded when class is in session at NCSU
Other Thoughts: Kentwood is a great local course. Good course to boost your confidence. This review would be higher if the course had added length. You can take a midrange and a putter out here and score low.

Great for intermediate players

5+    4/24/2015   4/29/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 12/19/2017
Pros: For beginners and intermediate players, Kentwood is a great course to challenge you, while giving you a rare chance to go for birdie on nearly every hole.

+ Nice elevation. Holes 5, 7, 14, and 15 are uphill (14 being the toughest hole on the course). Holes 6, 8, 9, 16, and 17 are downhill, 8 being the longest and biggest elevation drop. #18 is also long and slightly downhill.

+ Variery. Fairly equal number of holes for BH and FH players. Water is in play on hole 3. Ace opportunities on *many* holes. Only one true tunnel hole (#12).

+ Easy to get a round in quickly, under 45 minutes, if player traffic isn't too heavy.

+There have been improvements at Kentwood recently, including one new concrete tees. (Hopefully, more on the way soon.) Boy Scouts regularly do their projects here, putting in tee box benches. New mulch was put down in the last year or two to help with drainage.

+ Navigation is easy.

+ Nice new bathrooms.

+ Other amenities: new playground, tennis courts, baseball field

+ Kentwood is a fun tournament / league night course. The flow is good. I've never experienced a back-up here. It's just an all-around fun course to play, even if the challenge isn't that great.
Cons: - This is a very busy course when the weather is nice, especially during school months. (NC State is close by and a big percentage of players are State students.) I play early on Saturday morning when the college crowd is still sleeping it off.

- If you're an advanced player, you may get bored here quickly. It's a short course (most holes are in the 200-300 range, with a few shorter than 200).

- Some of the tees are small, old, cracking, or all of the above. It's not a huge deal as most holes don't require a big run-up. Hopefully, this is something that can be improved in the near future.
Other Thoughts: For a quick, fun, confidence-building round, there aren't any better options in the Triangle.

Sweet LIttle Course Marred By Some Players

5+    1/12/2015   1/15/2015
Review By: fluxresearch
Pros: This is a lovely little postage stamp of a course that fits the space quite well despite a variety of limitations.
Cons: Generally quite crowded. Popular among beginners. That's cool but it does tend to clog up play.

Tees are in disrepair and erosion is gradually wearing away the earth around many of the hillside tees.

Way too many players leave trash clean up to volunteers and other players.
Other Thoughts: Some of the holes are right beside a sidewalk and the final holes for each 9 are by the parking lot.

Occasionally this leads experienced players to do ridiculous things like practice putting on a hole that's in play.

All 3 times this has happened to me the players were quite self-righteous about it.

Though they had a bunch of discs I didn't see any of them birdie when they were playing and this is a course where not birdying certain holes suggests you don't really need all those discs.

But I guess a certain amount of poor behavior comes with any human endeavor.

Fun round but nothing special

2-4    10/6/2014   11/4/2014
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros: -Good mix of open and wooded holes
-The elevation changes play out really well for this course
-Every tee is labeled with hole # and distance
- Easy to navigate after playing through the course once or with a course map the first time around
-Good course to work on the mid-range and putting
Cons: -Awkward concrete tee pads. Many are too skinny and not level. Some are even falling apart.
-A few crossing fairways
-A few holes are bit too close to others
Other Thoughts: This was the first time I played this course. It was easily navigable with a map. In fact I only needed it to find my way to 2 or 3 tees. I played on a weekday in the early afternoon. There were a good number of groups on the course. I can imagine it gets very busy on the weekends and evenings. Add in the few crossing fairways and things can get a little complicated. However, if you are mindful of others on the course it is workable. The distance of the course is on the shorter side but you can still go out and have a fun round. The elevation changes are a positive for this course, but they don't make it any more challenging. The tee pad issue is not as crucial with shorter length of this course, yet it's still annoying. Yes, there are a bunch of rocks on a few holes, but that really didn't bother me at all. Different types of ground cover is part of the game, and I think it makes this course more unique. The creek near some of the holes adds a little bit of a welcome challenge. However it was dry when I played and basically no factor.
Overall this is just an ok course. Not great but not too bad either. I would play it again if I was in the area and l wanted to get a quick round in. Of course it would have to be on off peak hours, this course gets busy because of its good location. It seems like it would be a great course for beginners or someone just looking to improve their short game. I enjoyed the course, it's just not one you need to go out of your way to play.

2-4    9/22/2014   9/22/2014
Review By: Jaydo
Pros: A nice mix i think. I like the elevation chance on some of the holes.
Cons: Typical public park course in a city. Trashed a little bit, not well marked, but if you play a couple of times you find your way around just fine. Tee pads need some attention.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course, I wish a few holes were longer, but this is a good middle of the road city park course.

5+    5/12/2014   8/12/2014
Review By: _willdavis
This review was updated on 11/10/2014
Pros: Great place to work on 150-250ft game. It's got that great beat-in course feel considering it has been around quite awhile. It's just open enough for beginners to work on hitting lines but still fun for the seasoned players as well. I love the design, yes there are some crossover fairways, but people are always courteous to players on the tee.
Cons: Tee pads need replacing badly. Some are still in tact but others are broken up in spots or have a 1 ft drop off in the front of the pad, begging for a rolled ankle. Also, the course is pretty rocky as everyone has reviewed. Your disc will get some scuffs on it...but it is a great place to beat a new disc in and you can always count on your disc sticking where it lands. It's crowded usually but never to the point where your waiting more than a minute or two to tee off.
Other Thoughts: I gotta give this course a 3 just because it's a great pitch and putt course for any disc golfer and it just has that good ol' local course feel to it. If I didn't play here at least once a week I'd probably give it a 2.5, but the more you play it the more you love it.

*Beware of the Kentwood Curse*
Chain-outs are very common here due to the baskets being the old DGA baskets. When you chain out, it's more commonly referred to as "Kentwooding it"

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6