Newport News, VA
Newport News DGC Share
Uploaded By: lee76007 Hole #4 (Taken 7/2022)
3 / 130ft.   4 / 178ft.   3 / 229ft.   3 / 365ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Gold Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Slowly being destroyed

5+    8/22/2022   8/24/2022
Review By: Hyzerman98
Pros: Easily navigated
Cons: New basket positions rob course if it's use. Whoever changed them, be it the city or the club, changed the course for no other purpose but to change. Not a single hole was made better. A few are lateral moves. A few are awful. Pace of play is a problem now as it's our local beginner and family friendly course so now that the course is much harder, it's taking much longer to play. Course is probably 6-7 strokes more difficult than it was. Hole 3 is borderline inaccessible from red tees. 5 same. 11 is a much harder shot from reds, not much change from short. 14 is ludicrous. Requires a skip shot for no reason. 15 is not
Improved. 17 is a way worse hole. 18 has no line from reds except to get lucky through trees.

Whoever made these changes should be kicked off the course. We built Waller mill so we could have a tour level course. New quarter is a classic. NN is our fun easy course. Now it's awful. Why not add additional positions while keeping the originals? Who made this decision? There are thousands of people that play here yearly. Did they all get a say? It's a public course. What's going on?
Other Thoughts: Someone please stop the changes Add baskets but keep the original layout playable!

Very nice woods section

5+    6/10/2022   6/12/2022
Review By: billtm
Pros: Holes 4 through 8 in the woods are very fun especially from the red tees.
Off the tee I use both backhand and forehand about equally as often.
There is a practice basket, though it would be better to have bricks with distances in 5 or 10 foot increments around it.
Nice concrete tees with decent baskets.
Signage is mostly good, though having hole signs next to the red tees too would be better.
Cons: The holes outside of the woods (1-3 and 9-18) are too easy to get away with bad shots with. More often than not after a bad tee shot I am able to save par with an approach with nothing in the way. More trees may be able to solve this issue.
The holly bushes are horrific.
I could not find most of the blue or gold tees.
Not much elevation change.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice city park course, though with the fee I expected a little better than what is currently there in terms of baskets and signage.

Start Shredding the News

1    2/16/2022   6/11/2022
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Newport News DGC has a good 18 hole layout with converging 9's. Excellent for beginners with no water in play on a very flat plot of land. Most of the fairways are spacious, but do have enough trees and shrubs around to create some need for shot shaping. Holes 4-8 will test your precision with shorter, heavily wooded holes.

Multiple concrete tees at each hole allow for versatility, and tack on extra distance for the more experienced players. The basket positions are well placed to make for interesting approaches and putts, as well as an easy to follow layout.

I liked the wooded portion of the course. Hole 9 is also a cool drive. There is a fence that runs the right side of the fairway almost all the way to the pin. A basket is planted under trees and shrubs as the fence turns to the right, blocking a direct approach. 14 and 15 have a little extra flora to contend with on the back 9, and take a bit more shot placement.
Cons: The park does have an entry fee, nothing restrictive but bring a few bucks.

It can be very busy, we played through 2 or 3 groups as many people enjoyed a really nice February afternoon. Some patches were muddy, but overall conditions were good after a bit of rain earlier in the week.

I like a few hazards to contend with ideally. The wooded section is tough, but water and elevation changes are totally absent.
Other Thoughts: I swung through Newport News DGC on the way back to Virginia Beach after playing Waller Mill. I was happy to get in another course on the first day of my trip, and the two complimented each other nicely. One extreme and challenging and one more casual.

My round of 55 from the white tees was a confidence booster after a humbling score on the first course. The par of 61 is a bit generous, I didn't think any of the holes warranted more than a par 3. Gold tees are said to be out there, I didn't see a lot of them marked but I wasn't seeking them out either.

Great beginner course

5+    8/9/2020   8/10/2020
Review By: LeeloDGVA
Pros: Mix of woods and open holes; open holes still tend to have various guardian trees to provide a challenge
Two sets of nice concrete tee pads per hole; one basket per hole
Cons: Holes 1, 2, and 17 can stay pretty wet if there has been rain. Hole 1 turns into an absolute pond; 2 stays a little soggy and has a few low spots but isn't too bad; 17 has a muddy area you have to cross over (there are stepping stones to cross it); a pond can also form around the base of the hole 15 basket. These aren't really "cons" per se, just something to be aware of ahead of time
Very mixed bag of people at this course: more litter, more people that don't pay attention to groups behind them and start to slow you down, big groups that don't break into smaller groups, etc.
Other Thoughts: As a slight beginner/terrible player, I LOVE this course. There's some challenges but I still can't throw very far and since it's so short, I've been able to par or birdie every hole (now to work on consistency!) so it's very encouraging. It's also nice to be able to knock out a quick round on this course on a weeknight or as a second round to your day. It's also very flat and there's a lot of shade (all the woods holes and even the open holes have a decent tree covering, at least on all the tee boxes) so playing in summer isn't as brutal as some of the other courses in the area.

Great Variety

5+    1/1/2020   1/2/2020
Review By: lee76007
This review was updated on 8/24/2020
Pros: -Variety of open, wooded, and meadows course.
-white a good beginners course, red can give a good challenge. What few yellow tees I've found would appear to be even more difficult. Yellow is rubber mats.
-flags posted on top of baskets, making baskets in woods easy to spot. Thank you!!
-good signage with distance and posted map on forward/white tee box, distance stamped on pole back/red tee box.
-in wooded portion of course, someone is taking the time to sweep off the leaves from the tee pads. Thank you!
-I've seen a handful of Deer holes 12 thru 16. I'm normally there shortly after sunup.
- get there early to avoid the crowds I was reading about on reviews. I play two rounds, and normally walk off before 930am, that's when it appears other players start showing up.
-good navigation on course, didn't need a map.
-I'm LHBH, and the course is very friendly on my side.
Cons: -baskets were lower off of the ground than I'm used to at my trio of courses I frequent, and seemed smaller. Also crooked at a few holes.
-a ton of leaves in the wooded area thru the winter month, some piles a few feet high.
-After a good rain, holes 1-2, 9, and 17 can be soggy. Grass is normally too high on those fairways.
-no scorecard available on first tee or map, and not available at the campground office where they collect your fee. But, shouldn't need the map.
- the score card shows 4 layouts for distance, but only saw two tee pads for white and red. I've only found blue wooden peg tees for hole 5 only.
-No information on how to find yellow tees which are rubber mats. I've found holes 1, 5-7, 10, 12-13, 17. Maybe 2, 4, 9, and 14? There hard to spot, blend with the ground and easy to walk by. IF ANYONE HAS INFORMATION on there location, please message me, I would like to play them.
Other Thoughts: -I enjoyed the course, and it meets my criteria for favorite course: Scenic, variety, fun, for beginners and gives a challenge for more experience, memorable, and the majority of the holes are unique in some way.
- The white tees are a birdie festival for experience players. The red provides a challenge with distance added on, and all are par threes.
Notable Holes:
-No. 3 208/259 ft. throwing from open tees, thru a 7 ft. gap in a fence with the basket in the woods. Basket is about 10 feet into the woods, surrounded by trees, the woods make it too dark to see basket from the tees. If you make the gap good chance for an Ace you wont see, fall short of the gap and over a 4 ft. fence, still good chance for a birdie.
-No.5 263/211 ft. is a dog leg right with heavy woods on right, and a small stream on left with moderate trees. The fairway is 12-25 ft. wide and slopes to the stream. The fairway runs about 50 feet from the basket area, which opens up. Despite the fairway being LHBH friendly, I've only hit the dogleg once, all other drives have pinballed. Easy recovery hole.
No. 8 Red 211 ft. the stream runs at an angle from right 30 feet to left at 100 ft. Heavy trees directly in front. Another LHBH friendly hole, but the gap is only about 12 ft. wide for 120 ft. For RHBH a sliver of about 6 ft. for 40 ft. I've only made my gap twice, but for righties, eh, I've thrown a few extras to check your side, and have never made it. Make it to other side of stream, not hard to recover.
No. 15. Red 293 ft. There are a line of heavy pine trees both sides of white tee pad about 100 ft. out. The gaps are all small, and the basket is surrounded by oaks, and pines. Access is not good to basket from left side. However, on right side the gap is larger at the last tree before some heavy brush and canopy. I like to throw a skip, and have always been successful. The basket is open from the right side.
No. 16 Red 239 ft. White is on a separate fairway and that's the fairway the basket is located on. Red fairway runs parallel's to white. There is a nasty row of large Christmas type trees, and a few busy other type of trees that separate the fairways. There's two gaps to choose from to get over to white's fairway. The first one is just 60 feet down, requires a hard right to left. Not so bad in the winter, but very difficult with foliage in the summer. The second gap is about 180 ft. down, an extremely difficult gap to hit. But, hit the brakes straight down, and you have a 10 ft. window to the basket for a 50. ft. putt. Red fairway as you get closer to second gap, narrows to about 15 feet. Pick your poison.
-my favorite part of the course for scenery is 12 thru 18. On 12 your transitioning from lightly wooded to a more meadows/forest, gently sloping type of environment with large pines and bushy trees. This is where I've spotted the Deer. It gives tranquility. I've only found at one other course so far.
In my opinion:
-Signature Hole is number 12. From the Reds at 410 ft your transitioning from a small open area, as you get half way down the fairway trees start showing on the right, a service road with small wooden fence on its left. As you get closer to the basket a slight dogleg left down a gentle slope, the fairway is green. About a hundred from basket several large base pines, and tall surround the basket. Bigger than what you played thru on the wooded portion of the course. It gives you a feeling your now walking into a meadow/forest area. Behind the basket were Deer. As I was walking past the white tees, is when I had that feeling of tranquility gazing down the fairway. I've only had that feeling on one other hole, no. 8 Munden Point in Virginia Beach.
-Trouble Hole is no. 6 from the reds at 345 ft. Its a strait throw from tee to basket. About 150 feet down your flying over the white tees, gap that closes at 30 ft., 250 feet downward to a gully that probably has water after heavy rains, then the last 100 feet up hill to the basket. On the flight path which is very narrow maybe 25-50 ft in some places are heavy trees to the right and left. The gully has those same large pine trees I describe on no. 12 that protect the basket interfering with an approach. With foliage, a much more difficult hole. The hole has a tunnel vision effect.

Beginner friendly

5+    1/13/2019   1/16/2019
Review By: ICantPutt
Pros: Two tees with a variety of shots. Most holes are reachable for intermediate and above players from either tee box. The course is easily navigated and is a nice easy walk. A casual round can be done in under an hour here.
Cons: It tends to be VERY wet in the winter. No drainage on 2 and 17 especially. Hole 1 can be a pond.

The course is quite busy in the summer now adays. A lot of casual players dont know better and slow people up. The local army base seems to funnel a lot of players here which is great but really can slow down the progress of better players.

There is a local club that maintains the course fairly well. They also tend to think they own the course and have been very rude to me and others who are not members and just want to play a quick round. The etiquette of golf is lost as a group of 9 local pros playing gold tees wont let anyone by.

Other Thoughts: Bring waterproof shoes in the winter, bug spray in the summer. Only four garbage cans on the course nowadays so littering has picked up. Ridiculous that you have to pay to play and it went up last year. Rangers do come around and hassle about beer ( I dont drink) and checking for passes often. Club does a great job holding events etc but can be a bit sanctimonious about themselves.

A Little Bit of Everything

1    4/15/2018   4/15/2018
Review By: mike3216
Pros: I love the variety of this course. It starts out with park-like hole, then a big open-field heave, then it cuts into the woods for a number of short, tight, technical holes, after which it emerges back into a park-like setting for the remainder.
The wide variety of holes allowed me to work every shot in my limited arsenal (I am 53 years old, and have been playing for 2+ years, with my drives maxing out at about 330'). The hole lengths were reasonable enough (we played the red tees) that I could take a chance on a newly-learned shot (like a putter turnover), and still have a chance at par if the shot didn't work out.
We were playing fast, and several groups let us play through without us asking.
Cons: Very flat. If you're into elevation changes, this is not your course.
I had one spot where I sunk in the mud, and there has been no significant rain around here in weeks. I think this course could be a real slog if there was a lot of recent rain.
Other Thoughts: There are only a couple of holes where you can bomb it. If you are one of those players who are only happy when you have multiple opportunities to air it out at 400'+, you won't be happy here. For me, though, it is close to ideal.

Great mix of open, tight.

5+    2/21/2018   2/21/2018
Review By: Jhawkins
Pros: Perfect mix of open and tight. Pretty much half and half. Nice park. 2 tee locations.
Cons: Can be muddy. Have to stop and pay at office. ($2) Busy on weekends.
Other Thoughts: None.

New Home Park

2-4    10/22/2017   10/24/2017
Review By: Freqe C
This review was updated on 2/24/2018
Pros: The location is great. It is in a state park area so there is plenty to do for the family while you are hitting the chains. So far, everyone I have met that plays there has been very friendly, and there is no stress of playing in or letting people play through. They have tournaments quite regularly to help the disc golf community network. The course has a few challenges, but as a beginner, I find this course to be very fair. It seems like I learn something new every time I play. The routes are mostly clearly marked. Hole 9 is super fun for a long throw through the trees.
Cons: On the weekends, the park does get pretty busy. Not only do you have a lot of Disc Golfers (who are never a problem), but there is inevitably a family picnic, family reunion, whatever and parking gets a bit packed at those times.
Other Thoughts: I have never seen this, but a deer stole a disc from me at 4 the first time I played here. I laugh about it every time I go out there.

If anyone reading this is going out there, and you find a rainbow Innova (I think) out there, my buddy had it stuck in the tree. Tree to the left of basket 16. Email address is written on the bottom. Thanks!

Gets a lot of use

1    4/22/2016   5/20/2016
Review By: TertiaryObjective
Pros: Challenging without being discouraging with a nice mix of open and wooded holes.
Easy to navigate without a map and clear signs
Fee payment is not enforced, there is no honor system drop box
Cons: Fee payment after hours is not convienent - you're supposed to go to a campground office which I couldn't find.
Other Thoughts: Very popular/busy course on a weekday evening. I was playing quickly by myself and passed at least 6 groups. I don't see this as a con as everyone was friendly.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5