Beatrice, NE
Chautauqua Park Share
Hole #9 White Tee

1 2 Next >
 Varying configurations in a picturesque park

5+    4/21/2009   6/26/2009
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Scenic and shady park with big trees in a small town. Rarely crowded. A great deal of varying configurations available as there are three tees and three pins on every hole. Makes good use of the space and elevation that it has for the most part. Hole #1 with its footbridge obstacle is kind of unique (provided no one is on the bridge). Hole #7 may be Nebraska's prettiest.
Cons: Signage (what little is left) only lists hole distances from the A tees. C tees are hard to find on some holes. Back nine is uninspiring and can have some issues with flooding when the Big Blue gets high. Non-DG'ers unaware of the course sometimes put themselves or park their vehicles in the way. Safety issues involving Hole 10 coming too close to the RV park and Hole 11's teeboxes. Some of the added teeboxes are kind of redundant and don't really add anything.
Other Thoughts: This course really doesn't get the respect that it deserves. A fledgling DG community is growing in Beatrice, but its been a struggle getting the game to catch on here. Word is that the parks and rec department have not been terribly supportive of the course since it was installed. Some older residents aren't either and its not uncommon to see tee pads with bird seed or bread scattered on them. You could reasonably look at this park and not realize there's a course in it if you weren't looking for one. Despite that, this is the best course within a three hour drive in about any direction. Expect a reasonably challenging course in an otherwise well taken care of park.

Millions of leaves.

1    3/14/2007   6/14/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The multiple tee boxes are the main defining feature of this course in my opinion. They provide many different looks and cater to multiple levels of players. The course is in a clean a well maintained park with the normal park facilities. There are water hazards and many large mature trees. Watch out for the odd bowl for drainage and a small water fall. Number three was my favorite because it runs up hill along a tight row of trees. There is good parking, and the first tee is easy to find because of the large tabernacle. Decent signs with all the distances on them. For Nebraska standards, some good elevation changes. I had the course all to myself. When I finished, I played the front nine a second time, because I thought the front was pretty fun.
Cons: The front and back nine are disjointed. I had trouble finding the back nine. In March the bathrooms were locked up. The back nine plays more like a regular wide open flat park course. As far as park courses go, this courses stacks up well. Some missing signs. I could have used a map to this park when I played. It almost feels like the back nine was added in later, or it was an after thought.
Other Thoughts: I've put off writing about this course so many times. Mostly because, for being great, its very plain and ordinary, that what you get with park courses. Yet, it surprised me. I bagged this course early on and it was one of the first courses to surpass my expectations. It was a very warm March day, and all the snow had just melted exposing millions of leaves, a disc could get lost easy. I played with my young daughter and she really enjoyed it, I ended up taking my time because I was with the little one, so I ended up just soaking it all in with a smile. I look forward to being in the southeast corner of Nebraska again someday so I can play this one more time.

I recommend this course for any and all skill levels because of the three paved tee boxes per hole.

Did I mention....LONG!

1    10/1/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course does have a small beautiful waterfall on it. Most of the holes are straight away. Some had trees, creeks, or some kind of obstacles to deal with. This course was in great shape. The cement tee pads on all three of the tee locations were really nice. The park was very clean, well maintained, with bathrooms and trashcans.
Cons: This course is almost too long. Some of the baskets were getting a bit rusty & tough to find. Most of the signs were missing, put they did put a pole in the ground with the number on it to replace it, but only on the red tees. The other te pads have a number sprayed on to the. You need a map to play this course. It is so long between some of the holes it is silly. #18 will make you like a mile to get back to #1 and your vehicle. #10 can have a camper parked just far enough down below you; you will have to be careful.
Other Thoughts: This course is a long course; did I mention that? It was just so long, it got to the point, where I felt like I was taking a walk and not playing the game anymore. This really isn't a bad course. The fun factor lost its edge after about hole 9. I still really enjoyed the Zen moment looking at the waterfall and realizing after 10 minutes, I still can't find that basket for #7. (hint: when looking at the waterfall, look to your far right, above the rocks, near the corner where road comes around.) They really need maps!!!

1 2 Next >