Wildwood, FL
Lake Okahumpka Share
Uploaded By: mattdabbs Hole #7 (Taken 8/2012)

Nice 9 Holer In A Beautiful Park

1    10/14/2019   10/28/2019
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: Lake Okahumpka Park apparently sits within the area of one of the largest retirement communities in Florida . A scenic park enjoyed by many ( there were a lot of walkers and bench sitters while I was there on a Monday morning ) , the Sumter County parks and recs here installed a nice 9 hole disc golf course in 2012 and have been ever improving on it since . With the course being toward the back of the park , , it has an okay amount of parking , fairly new and sizable concrete tee pads , accurate signage with hole # , par , distance and flight path , with a dot for next tee on it . It also has next tee arrows at the yellow top of the basket . The baskets are yellow banded Discatchers . There is a kiosk near the first hole with the course map on it , bathroom close by . There is a shelter with picnic tables Even though the course is surprisingly long for a typical park style course , the large trees throughout form a canopy over a lot of it . The park seems well taken care of and was mowed when I was there . The course is kind of shaped like a fish , with you starting at the tail . #1 is a nice dogleg left ( 432' ) , followed by #2 , a straightaway drive just as long . The course is easy on the legs , being fairly flat . Hole length varies from the technical but short 189' #8 to the twin 430+ footers . I was tipped off from a previous reviewer that there is a nasty swamp on your left at #7 ( I didn't see it , but it might have been at 6 ) , so you might want to keep your stable drivers or approach discs low and shaded to the right . #6 is a nice tunnel shot as is #8 . The course ends with a fairly open 328' drive with a tree in front of you and a couple of trees close to the basket which ends your round right back at the lot you parked in . It is a fast play ( I did it in 30 minutes , 4 might finish in 75 minutes of less ) , and I bet you will enjoy the walk the whole time . Signature Hole : I thought that the #1 hole was not only a great starter hole , but my personal favorite .
Cons: #1 The Rough . The combination of the hidden swamp on holes 5-7 and some punishing growth just off some of the fairways can cost you a disc or some time trying to find it . I don't know if it this is by design or not , but I am not a fan .Disc Risk : Medium , mostly from the middle holes . #2 Challenge/Variety. Some will complain about the lack of challenge and differing shots that make you did deeper into your bag . While it is true that alternate pins and 2 sets of tees would make this course better , I don't think it was intended for championship style disc golf . Still , lack of water , elevation and woods don't help the course any . They just installed cement tee pads in 2017 . Be careful of large spiders when reaching for your disc , especially in the brush or moss .Would really be nice if a couple of picnic tables were a buffer between the #1 tee and the #9 basket , so players could congregate before/after a round .
Other Thoughts: The course was getting some play on a Monday morning while I was there . This is the kind of course where you would play a couple of rounds , then eat lunch here . This is a large step up from the 9 hole courses just south of here . I walked the grounds and saw some tee signs on some paths near hole #8 . No baskets yet , but some local told me that he thought that they were going to install another 9 more technical type, holes soon . This would be a huge plus for this park . A fast play and just off of I-75 , my Recommendation : barring the local or touring pro , this course is well suited for everyone from the newbies , casuals seniors and travelers to the better intermediates working on facets of their game , If there are 9 hole courses worth playing in Florida , this is certainly one of them . PLAY IT !!

Fun with a chance of swamp

2-4    9/15/2019   9/26/2019
Review By: SpeedoJosh
Pros: Really well marked and maintained course.
Nice tees and baskets.

Mixture of left curves, right curves, and straights. Good course to learn or practice at. Especially with the bonus 9th hole which is just a big open field.

Minus a few trees and the 8th hole, it's pretty open driving.
Cons: Only 9 holes.

Be careful on hole 7. With the swamp to the left, people seem to throw more towards the right, but there is a fenced off retaining pond/swamp with should high grass. Seen more than one person lose a disc in there.
Other Thoughts: Hole 5 - 7 are located next to a swamp. So only bad thing is if your disc breaks hard left, you might never see it again. First time players should approach those holes with caution until they can get eyes on and see what I mean. My first time playing I took a risk with a big power shot on 5, whiffed it, and disc broke hard left over the trees. No big deal I thought, I've hunted through plenty of brush for a disc, but once I got there I realized there was a swamp just behind those trees.

Lake Okahumpka Disc Golf Course Is Just Four Miles from The Largest Retirement Community In The World!

1    2/3/2018   2/3/2018
Pros: With it's close proximity to the world's largest retirement community, The Villages with it's 125,000 retirees, one would think that Okahumpka Disc Golf Course would be overran with grandmasters, senior grandmasters and great grandmasters, but when I took my friend, George, here for his first ever round, we had the course to ourselves.

Lake Okahumpka is a pretty excellent course for the newbie or recreational player. It has some length (# 1 is a 432' dogleg left). You can't see the basket until you clear the corner while navigating through quite a few scattered trees at about 225'. Hopefully, you'll be looking at the basket for your second shot however, my buddy, George, playing his first ever disc golf hole, probably got a glimpse of the basket after about five 35' throws.

It's wide open at times. # 9 is a wide open 328' with just one tree to avoid. It's a nice hole to practice your drives on or maybe to experiment with that roller. It has a nice little Ace Run (# 8 is a sweet little 189' throw down a tight little tree lined fairway. There is a swampy lake bordering 2-3 fairways but it's fairly easy to steer clear of. Holes 4-8 play along or through wooded areas and some beside swampy areas.

The amenities are solid. The concrete tee pads are very adequate. The tee signs are simple and very readable. The Discatchers with the yellow bands are very visible and have next tee arrows hanging below which helps with the navigation which is already intuitive. There is ample parking.

I think better players will find challenge here. There is just enough length, tightness, and challenge here to justify it's lofty rating.
Cons: There's a reason Lake Okahumpka sports such a lofty rating. It doesn't have many flaws thus the appeal to so many players.

Some will complain that # 9 and probably # 2 are too wide open.

Some will say that the overall challenge is lacking.

Being here in central Florida, it's elevational challenged. These aren't your mother's Rockies.

Only one basket placement and only one tee pads. I actually like this simplicity although many will argue that it doesn't provide enough variety to keep the locals interested.
Other Thoughts: I wonder just how many of the thousands of retired folks at The Villages ever make it over here. They tend to stay in their own sheltered community. If I were fortunate enough to retire there, I would lead the charge to introduce them all to disc golf and ole Lake Okahumpka would make for an ideal course for them.

I really enjoyed my round here and would be happy to play here on a regular basis. This area is not blessed with a lot of courses so I would think this gem would be quite the attraction.

Amazing 9 hole course

2-4    8/25/2017   10/17/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
This review was updated on 8/28/2017
Pros: (2.637 Stars) (REVISED - replayed August 2017) I've played 36 nine holers as of this revision and Lake Okahumpka is still the best true nine I've played. It definitely leaves me wanting more.
- UNIQUENESS FOR A 9 HOLE - When I compare all the true nine hole formats I've played, Okahumpka has among the most diverse set of holes. Hole (1) starts with a true dogleg left par 4. Although listed at only 432 feet, it's really not possible to get much closer than a hundred feet. In addition to the dogleg, there's a reachable par 4 for the bombers, there's a tight tunnel pocket shot, an open shot, and a few blind shots. It's a good mix, but I will add that it favors RHBH plays, 4 to 1. Only hole (5) veers slightly right.
- TEE UPGRADE - New concrete pads poured in 2017. I had commented on my initial review stating that the tee areas were in sad shape. The new pads look great, I bumped the rating by 0.156 points.
- SPACING - It seems to me that lots of Florida nine holes are often crammed into a very tight space. Lake Okhumpka breaks that trend a bit. Other than a slight chance at holes (1 thru 3) there's really no shot of ending up in another fairway. Tees are also separated well from the prior baskets but not annoyingly far.
- NAVIGATION - There's a course map and adequate hole signage for this type of course. I did not find navigation to be an issue on my first time thru. I only checked my map once between (7 and 8). All the other hole transition paths seemed intuitive to me. I will also add that it's nice to have basket (9) and tee (1) adjacent to each other, and they're both adjacent to the parking as well.
- SHOT SHAPING - As a player with around a 900 rating, I appreciated the amount of thought I had to put into my shots. I definitely had a few releases where I was punished for not playing the line right.
- QUICK PLAY - Although longer than your average Florida 9 hole course. A single should easily be able to complete a round in under 30 minutes. I'm 2 for 2 on this here. Groups of four skilled player would probably play this one in under an hour.
- BEAUTY - The Spanish moss on this course is amazing and brings out a bit of euphoric tranquility.
Cons: Other than less than average amenities, there are no weak spots with this course.
- CHARACTER - Lake Okahumpka lacks several of the characteristics like that of older established courses. There is no seating or trash cans along the layout. Alternate tees and alternate pin placements are not present. The tees signs are bland showing diagrammatic line and distance only. The tees however are generally shaded well. There's also a course map and a restroom building.
- OVERGROWTH - The overgrowth off fairway is pretty bad in some areas. I've spent a good chunk of time, on both my rounds out here, searching for an errant shot. The Spanish moss might be nice to look at but it will grab your disc in an unforgiving fashion, and it will conceal your disc. Holes (1 and 6) left side and holes (5 and 8) everywhere are quite overgrown. However if you're an accurate shot, you'll have no issues.
- SPIDERS - The Banana spiders out here are massive. On both my visits I saw ones that were five inches around. Thankfully they are not poisonous, but when you're searching for your disc and you run into their web, you will likely freak out.
- ELEVATION - Unless you're from South Florida, the elevation changes on this course are not noticeable. Maybe Hole (1) dives ten feet down before heading back up to the same level.
- OVERALL UNIQUENESS - Although I stated above that Okahumpka is among the most diverse 9 hole courses I've played, it still lacks the diversity of your average 18 hole course. In addition to no elevation, there are also no water elements in plays. Which I find odd considering the name of the course. You also can't bring out any thumbers or tomahawks. No par 5's or any hole in excess of 450 feet. No pocket right or dogleg right lines.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend checking this course out to just about everyone but pro players. It's a great stop on the way to another course if you do disc golf road tripping. Only a 10 minutes drive from the junction of I75 and the Florida turnpike.
- DIFFICULTY - Average. The one set of tees will be very challenging to rec players. If advanced players play the course all 3s, they will shoot a few down on a typical day.

Gem

1    6/20/2015   6/20/2015
Review By: freddysez
This review was updated on 7/12/2015
Pros: What can I say but wow! Sometimes we play disc golf and are concentrating so much on shot shaping and our personal game that perhaps we neglect the surroundings and take them for granted. I was marveling all day on this courses's beauty and flawless design!
Doglegs each way and strategic basket placements followed by incredibly groomed fairways make this course a must play.
Cons: Some of the tee boxes are a bit slippery and lumpy; if you're adding more cons here I completely disagree with anyone.
Hey look 2 clowns have posted this review isn't helpful cause they don't have anything else to do. Get a life
Other Thoughts: Well laid out and easy navigation; double your pleasure with doublemint gum. 5 is the signature hole to me, dog leg right under a tunnel of Spanish moss and picturesque Florida. Hey look 2 losers with no life posted this review not helpful

Surreal

1    12/31/2014   12/31/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -This course has the most Spanish moss I have ever seen. It gives the course a hazy, surreal feeling.
-The hole design here is exceptional. Trees almost seem hand-placed to create line shaping and the large, high branches prevent you from throwing sky-high drives.
Cons: -The crushed shells and dirt tees will be a deterrent for some.
-Only 9-holes and although the holes are quality, I still wish it was a full 18.
-The rough is ROUGH. It's very easy to lose a disc on either side of hole 5's fairway and on the left of hole 6's fairway.
-It's a small con but, no water hazards on a course that has "Lake" in the title.
Other Thoughts: This course is beautiful between the Spanish moss draping the trees and lining the fairways and the swamp located behind 2's basket and 3's tee pad. I really wish Lake Okahumpka was a full 18 as it could be a premier course.

Beautiful and Extremely Fun

5+    5/15/2014   10/15/2014
Review By: JonRoc
Pros: This course is great for all skills of players - beginner to expert. I often have doubts on how a 9 hole course can be legitimate but this course restores my faith in the development of 9 hole courses.

Design - You can throw just about every shot in the book at this course but you are challenged to make several different throws if you intend to do well. The first two holes are over 400' and you have to traverse through a light forest of Split Oaks and Spanish moss. After that the holes get shorter but a little more technical. I've learned A LOT from this course because it is challenging enough to make me think about my shots and try new ones but not too risky where I only stick to what I am good at. Great design for all skill levels to develop their disc golf skills.

Beauty - Hole 5 might be the prettiest hole I have ever played. If you go right at sunset as the golden florida sun is peeking through Spanish Moss hanging from the trees it looks like something straight from a movie. Nothing better than watching a disc fly through with the sun glimmering off the top. Hole 2 through 5 and then 8 are solely in the woods and are beautiful. The others are just out in the park but are still very pretty.

RePlayability - It's long enough as a nine hole course for one play through to be enough if you're just in for a quick round, but if you want more, you can go right back and play it again for a full 18. The design leaves hole 9 just 100 feet or so from the hole 1 tee pad.
Cons: Most holes only have one shot, I believe the best courses have the majority of holes that challenge you to choose between 2 or 3 shots.

In the middle of the fairway on hole 1 (blindspot from the teepad) is a pit of thorn-like bushes that swallow discs. They are miserable. Not a huge con.

A nice Challenge

2-4    7/5/2014   7/5/2014
Review By: sasquach
Pros: This course allowed me to use all 16 discs that I carry in the 4 rounds that I played. For someone like me that lacks drives over 300 feet this is a challenging course. Most of the fairways are fairly tight and you will need control.
Cons: Quite a few dog walkers on the course but since I only saw 1 other golfer on a Saturday morning they were just using the space. Everyone was pleasant and didn't disrupt play.
Other Thoughts: While I am not generally a fan of 9 hole courses this is an exception. I will make the short trip from Ocala once a year to play this course for a day and would recommend it to others in Central Florida or passing thru.

Scenic And Fun 9-Holer

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/4/2017
Pros: Set in a scenic park with old trees and defined fairways.

Nice signage with hole #, distance, and basic hole layout. Next tee arrows on baskets and trees make navigation very easy for 1st timers.

Innova baskets aren't my favorite type, but these are in good condition with easy to see hole #'s on them.

The course is moderately long for a 9-holer and features a good mix of hole types and lengths.

The course is close to the Florida Turnpike and I-75, so jumping off the expressway for a quick leg stretching round or two is highly recommended.
Cons: The course has only one set of tee pads that are shell based. Two sets of concrete pads would really elevate this course to a higher level, and hopefully, are coming in the future.

Several dog walkers were wandering around on the fairways seemingly oblivious to the fact that the park has a DG course on it.
Other Thoughts: A fun quick playing 9 hole course, with natural scenic beauty that may be a little tough for noobs and a little easy for pros. Again, two sets of tees would definitely elevate this course, and make it more fun/interesting for differing skill levels.

Not quite a destination course, but if traveling by, or in the area, it is certainly worth playing.

Delightful Nine

1    2/2/2014   2/2/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: I'm not certain that this is my favorite nine-hole course, but its is on the short list. It's one of those great designs that make me glad that they didn't cram eighteen baskets where there wasn't space for them. There are a few shorter holes, but it's got very decent length, with the majority of the baskets standing over 300 feet from the tee, and the first pair of them at 430 each. It's not the most challenging course in the world but it boats nice lines that should be playable by many skill levels. For the most part, it requires the same throws that a top-level course would, just with more room for error.

The main benefit of the wide nature of the fairways is the quality scenery on tap here. The namesake lake isn't in play on the course but there's one tee that offers an incredible viewpoint onto it as the tee is approached. The rest of the course is covered in massive live oaks draped with Spanish moss. Very cool atmosphere. Very cool vibe.

As much fun as it is to crush drives down these long, wide fairways between incredible trees and essentially surrounded by jungle, the most interesting hole may be the shortest. 8 is only 180 feet but it is tight. Very tight. A gently turning hyzer can put you near the basket, if you are precise. Miss the line and the shule gets thick, fast.

Good flow that's easy to flow and signs that are descriptive enough for holes that mostly feature visible baskets. And personally, I love the teepads. They are crushed shell, and while I thought they played perfectly, I know others will not like them.
Cons: While the fun factor is high here, no one would mistake it for a championship-caliber course. There is just nothing here that challenging. There's also not a signature hole. There isn't a hole that jumps out at you and screams, "Who's hungry?" There's also only nine of them. Half the variety. Half the fun.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if this is a course to seek out and play. If there were nine more holes like the nine that are here, it probably would be. As it is, it's just off Florida's Turnpike and makes a great roadside stop or a warmup on the route to play other courses.