Austin, TX
Roy G. Guerrero DGC Share
Uploaded By: TejasKajun Hole #14 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #14 Pro Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Enough is enough

1    4/23/2019   4/24/2019
Review By: blake833
Pros: Roy G is a fantastically beautiful 18 hole course just outside Austin's downtown area, on the south bank of the Colorado River (you don't see it when you play thought).

The fairways are lengthy but wide swathes of green grass through the forest. You often have multiple approaches for backhand or forehand shots, and as long as you don't go off the fairway or hit a tree, pretty make-able pars.

The baskets are old discatchers that still catch pretty well, and the tee's are huge pavers. I normally don't like brick or paver tee pads, but these were fine, not really slick at all.

Honestly the for the first several holes I couldn't believe this course wasn't rated closer to 4.5, with it's nicely curved shots and smooth green fairways, the nice forest. But it really hit hard on the back nine.
Cons: I wasn't sure what I was getting into here. This course comes with a lot of hype but everyone I spoke to about said, "As long as you have a big arm..." I saw the distances online, but was not ready for how gruelingly long this course is.

After 12 holes, I felt like I had played a full round. After 13, I was feeling good about playing a full course. But I still had 5 holes left, and after 14 holes, I was just about ready to be done. The seemingly endless stream of 700'+ par 4's was nowhere near done with me. That's what brings this course from a 4.5 to a 4.

Also, the difference between the pro and the am tee pads was negligent. Seemed like never more than maybe 50ft, which is not really significant on a 800' hole.

There really aren't many memorable holes that stood out as particularly wonderfully designed. But it was solid overall, despite the repetitive and lengthy end.

It's flat.I'm used to that being from the Coast, but was surprised to see it in Austin.
Other Thoughts: I still really liked this course. Would I ever bring a newbie here? Absolutely not. Zilker Park is 10-15 minutes away, and waaaaaaay more beginner friendly. WAAAAAAAAAY more. Would I play here again? Ugh. Maybe. Because even though I was so tired of it by the end, it really is that good of a course, and well worth a round if you are in the Austin area. And of course, if you have a big arm.

Well built and nicely sheltered course

1    12/20/2018   2/6/2019
Review By: Andrew Gum
Pros: Good, large tee pads and great signs. Well placed benches and paths.
Nicely thought out hole design.
Very challenging but attackable for the big, accurate arms and experienced locals.
Thick trees provide shade and prevent wind.
Cons: A lot of people seem to let their dogs run around free here. Not a problem with me as long as they don't chase discs and try to collect the poo if possible.
Other Thoughts: A definite must play for discgolfers coming near Austin.

Very nice practice course if you're a local ...

1    12/28/2018   12/28/2018
Review By: Forehand Shiver
Pros: Nice long course. Fairly easy to maneuver once you find hole one. Definitely a good workout since holes are long. Great practice course -- that is, if you're practicing long, straight, low shots.
Cons: No signature hole. Almost every shot was similar, if not the same: long, low and straight, with a slight draw at the end (I throw about 350-375). I'm a rightly and I believe I threw a forehand on No. 17, which had an elevated basket. That was the only variation.

Also, drove around for a bit until locals turned up to show me where hole one was. I had to wade through an ankle deep creek since the bridge was out. Not a huge deal, but if I brought my cart, don't think I would have made it easily.
Other Thoughts: I like this course but don't feel I need to play it again. I played this course with the same 3 to 4 discs since every hole was pretty much the same (only need to scramble twice since fairways are well defined and wide). Of course, this is a great practice course if you live nearby -- mastering low, hard, straight throws will definitely lower your score. However, since I'm more than an hour away, I'll do my practice on a football field.

A diamond in a bag full of gems

1    11/17/2018   11/29/2018
Review By: TheQuietCroc
Pros: * Simply beautiful course
** Fully wooded yet still open enough to have clear lines
* On every hole you'll find
** Trash cans
** Concrete pro and rec tee pads
** Tee signs
** Rocks for sitting
* Excellent navigation between holes
* Lots of parking options
* Every hole is pretty long, giving you lots of opportunities to practice your bombs
Cons: * The difference between the pro and rec tees is like ~30' on most of the holes
* The bridge to hole 1 was straight up gone, making the trek much harder with a cart
** Best to park closer to hole 2
* Navigation to hole 13 or 14 isn't very clear, we made a lucky guess
* No practice basket

I'm Not Dead Yet

1    4/7/2018   6/15/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.925 Rating) A charming Pro level players course.
- CHALLENGING - As of this review (280 courses played), personally the most difficult course I've ever played. Sure, it was 45 degrees out, the wind was howling above. Although, the trees below Roy G's majestic canopy offered some protection, it was so windy that the gusts still made it to the surface. I consider myself an Intermediate lever player, yet even from the front tees at Roy G I was painfully humbled. I shot +12. This course requires the combo of length and precision off the tee like no course I've ever played. To the average Joe that throws 300 feet, the birdies might only come in the form of 50 foot putts. I didn't make one birdie and all my birdie tries were from outside the circle. A few years back at the Texas State Championship, a +3 round from the back tees netted roughly a 1000 rated round. Any player that averages below par out here deserves a sponsorship. It's that intense. Any player that craves the ultimate challenge needs to plan a round here.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - For non-advanced players like me, the siren wooded looks below this tranquil canopy is the saving grace. I was constantly pulling out my camera to snap tee shot photos. There's not a boring shot out here. Nearly 100 percent wooded and just about no manmade structures in view. It's player versus nature out here and it makes taking 5s and 6s on these difficult par 3s and 4s a little easier to swallow.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Hole (17) gets my vote. The tunnel leading to the basket frames a portion of the downtown Austin skyline. As one approaches the basket, the view of downtown becomes wider and wider. It's amazing.
- TEES - The gold standard for championship sized tees. They are so large that one could BBQ on the back side with a costumer counter and have a standing line of ten individuals. Yet with all this, there would still be room to tee off. The tee pad's paved surface area has a 3 foot deep foul line extension, a 4 foot deep walk-up extension and 1 foot wide side buffer. Total size, 8 feet by 19 feet for both the front tee and back tee configurations! I personally prefer a little Texas brisket before every tee off.
- CHARACTER - In addition to awesome tees, Roy G has a lot of the niceties that appear at the well-funded established courses. A pair of awesome concrete benches at every tee. I've played in several regions now all over the country and the Austin area courses seem to do this feature better than anywhere else I've traveled. There is also fabulous informative tee signs, shading and lots of trash cans at the tees as well. The baskets, are the perfect brand for a wooded course like this with the unmistakable yellow band peeking through the tree coverage. The parking lot had a porta-potty on my visit but it is really only accessibly before heading to hole (1) or after (18). Missing features include, no practice basket, no multiple basket placements, no community board with course map and no finishing shelter.
- NAVIGATION - Not flawless obviously with the no course map onsite as noted above, but not too bad. Hole signage indicates next tee direction, there are lots of intuitive mulched pathways and there's a downloadable map on DGCR. I wish there were a few directional cues on the transitioning pathway but really the biggest navigation issue isn't the directions, it's the journey to (1) (see cons Missing Bridge).
- MAINTENANCE - Major kudos to the club and/or parks department. This is such a large sprawling park that upkeep needs a lot of involvement. Fairways where mowed, fringes were thinned out and trash was minor.
- UNIQUENESS - A touch better than average but flawed in some regards due to the consistent backdrop hole after hole. Players that enjoy risk reward shot shaping drives will really love the engaging challenges presented here. I think the course favors RHBH dominate players but there were still a few right breaking shots. Lots of long multi-play holes that require hole management and also just taking what the course gives you on the lie. No elevation and no water.

Cons: Epic in many ways but with undeniable flaws.
- MONOTONY - Despite hole after hole of immeasurable beauty, every hole generally has the same overall feel. A beautiful, technical, long, twisting guarded basket placement. Its equivalent to going on 18 dates with the same model who gets a kick out of S & M, and you're the slave. It gets real old after a dozen dates. The only curve balls out here are the walk to the course and hole (17).
- LACK OF ELEVATION - Players that love the signature look of rolling and cliff terrain won't find it here. I don't think one hole out here changes by more than 10 feet. One may conclude then that bringing a cart out here is easy. Nope, they'd be wrong. See below.
- MISSING BRIDGE - The original bridge leading to the course was destroyed in a flood in 2015. Normally a park and recs department that handles park maintenance will put these little foot bridges back within a few months or less. Unfortunately, this is not that type of bridge. The bridge once spanned over 100 feet and was made out of reinforced concrete. There were articles in the paper in Austin that quoted prices over several million dollars to fix it and the erosion problem. So yeah, it's not surprising that it's still gone. This makes taking a cart out here real challenging. Is it possible? Yes, but it requires either parking by (2) and adding an extra long walk, or if the creek water is low, it requires hoisting a cart down the creek gorge and walking across creek stones. I watched my playing partner attempt this and he pulled it off at age 60. I did have to help a couple times.
- DISCONTINUITY - From what I've heard, when the creek water at the location of the washed out bridge is up high, players will park by Hole (2), as noted above. This requires a near mile walk of backtracking to get between (18) and (1).
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - If you've played less than 100 rounds, stay far far away unless you enjoy getting your head beat in... mentally.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - There is going to be substantial segment of the disc golf population that will not enjoy this course due to the challenge. Some 850 rated recreational players could struggle to finish +15 from the short tees.
- FORGIVENESS - The fairways lanes standing on the tee pads seemed reasonable. Lanes of twenty feet wide or more were common place, but with well placed pinch points and a continuous 20 foot high canopy. Straying off path with a grip lock or pinging a tree in the wrong way could be very punishing. Losing a disc may occur for those not willing to spend 20 minutes searching in the heavy overgrowth areas.
- POISON IVY - It's here, but it appears that either the club or maintenance is coming through and taking some of it out. It seemed only heavy in the far ricochet areas or not in play.
- TIME PLAY - This monster is going to take some time out of your day, which plays at nearly 10,000 feet from the back tees. My partner and I spent some good time searching for errant discs and it took us 2 hours to complete our round. Figure your average group of 4 skilled players will play this in 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Other Thoughts: Roy G was my 250th played course and it was destination number 1, on my 5 day roady back to Austin Texas. This city is where I feel in love with the sport. I selected Roy G partly due to reading an article early in 2018 about the possible demise of the course from to a stadium proposal. When I had left Austin in May 2016, I was constantly kicking myself for never having had the guts to play it. The course no doubt delivered the feeling I wanted in a milestone/destination course and I am so thrilled that the stadium proposal appears dead. Now scores of more players will have the opportunity to engage in Austin's most herculean challenge. Players looking for pro level difficulty, need to play this course.
- THANK YOU - A sincere thanks to my friend Gary who threw four rounds with me on this horrible weather day. He also let me crash a couple days in his RV so I could save some dough on what was already an expensive trip. Gary, as of this review, holds the distinct notion of having played the most different courses with me, 11. In total, we've thrown over 50 rounds together, of which almost all them were played Wells Branch DGC.

SHADE on a hot day

1    5/8/2018   5/24/2018
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Biggest Tee boxes you will find anywhere
Tee signs on every hole
two cement tee boxes for each hole
well defined fairways though the tree's.
Cons: horrible access due to bridge being out
Too long of a walk from 18 back to your car
Not a lot of variety, the only reason I didn't give this course a 5
There is little difference between the red and blue tee's. Just distance and even then, it is not all that much different.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful course in a forest. Very few holes are not in the shade. Biggest problem is the bridge is missing between the parking lot and hole 1. It is not hard to climb down, but I had my cart and that made it a little tougher.

I am not going to get into a hole by hole description, but the course has a lot of 2 shot holes that seem to be the same each time. Some of the holes were great, others were "ho hum" grip it and rip it and just try to get 1/2 way down the fairway. Placement is not important on most of the holes as long as your still in the fairways.

The tee pads have to be the best tee pads I have EVER seen on a disc golf course. You can see in the media files, each tee pad is surrounded by paving stones making the tee pad seem larger than it really is. This is great for someone like me who uses a longer run up and like the level follow through.

The tee signs were attached to large stones and although most were temporary (laminated), they were all there. I had not problems figuring out the layout of the course.

Many of the holes are in an area of tall tree's, enough tree and canopy that your are in total shade. Nice on a hot day.

but you do have several holes that are semi open.

Stone Benches are great, something I have noticed about several Austin courses. Whoever has been getting those put out is doing a GREAT service to us older players who need to sit occasionally.

The course is challenging, in that the holes are long and in the woods. As long as you stay in the main fairway, you should make par or better. Even throwing off the fairways on most of the middle holes, you are not is deep rough, the meat of the course is pretty cleared out. (holes 7 to 15 come to mind)

Would I play here again?

Yes, This is on my list of courses I want to play again. While it does not have a huge variety of types of holes, I did enjoy playing it. I put this course behind Austin Bible and Circle C as the 3rd best course I have played so far in Austin.

Challenging City Golf

1    3/21/2018   3/21/2018
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This course has quality lines that provide for a challenging but fun round of disc golf. All shots are needed in order to score well here and all shots are accounted for. A good mix of lengths can be found from short to moderate and there are some long holes as well.
Hole 1 starts off like hole 18 ends both being long holes with just the right amount of trees to make you shape your shots.
Many holes have dual pads to give you a bit of a different look.
Dog leg left and right playing holes can be found here as well.
This course has a park style feel but it also has great trees that make you think about the line you are going to take and then making you execute your shot.
The tee pads are more than generous allowing for all the room needed to throw. Cement block benches and trash cans at most holes.
Cons: Some of the walks between baskets to get to the next tee is long. Hole 15 basket to 16 tee comes to mind.
Can be crowded at times so you will have to be patient.
A few holes have walking/biking path that will come into play so you will need to be on your toes.
It appears that the bridge that lead into the park has fallen or been destroyed. You must now climb down a steep embankment to get to the course. This would make using a cart pretty tough if you are entering the course from this direction. Once you are on the course however its pretty cart friendly.
There is a long walk from 18's basket to the parking lot if you park close to hole 1 so be prepared.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course and didn't feel as though the holes were repetitive by any means. This course does have length to it but there are some short-moderate length holes sprinkled in there as well to even things up a bit. As you can tell by the paths and fairways this course gets a ton of play and after playing it you will understand why. The golf is good here and the course has a great amount of coverage so on those hot Texas summer days this would be a good option. Wind really doesn't factor in here too much as not many holes are wide open.
If you are in the area and like a park style course that is challenging but fair then you will love this course. The view from hole 17 is very unique as you can see the Austin skyline in the distance and the Colorado river also. Ol' Roy should be challenging guests for many years to come.

Exhausting but worth it

1    2/23/2018   2/25/2018
Review By: Happydc
Pros: Let er rip on every hole! Great workout for the drivers. Really helps if you can throw straight and long. We had the course to ourselves, pretty much. Nicely laid out. Convenient to downtown hotels.
Cons: Nearly killed ourselves getting there. The bridge was washed out, river was high, and we had to hike up and down stream looking for crossing. If you drive, there is a parking lot near the 3rd hole that is a thousand times more accessible. A few homeless people and druggies near the apartments. Some guy was camping out on his private island. We were wiped out by the end of our round, really long course.
Other Thoughts: Spectacular course! So glad we persevered, it was worth crossing the raging river. Great benches and tee boxes, love how well they do that in Austin. Easy to Uber to from hotels. We would have played again but didn't have the strength after hiking up and down Sixth Street all night. Not for beginners or the faint of heart. I was proud to have only one 6 on the scorecard. Challenging, some holes could have been 5 pars. Multiple tee boxes helped but not much. Be prepared for 600, 700 and 800+ feet distances. Championship caliber.

Roy G shaved for Winter

5+    2/4/2017   2/14/2017
Review By: tst3c
Pros: Roy G is the perfect course- to me, it is my expectation for a pro-level course. Shot variety galore (BH + FH needed), great mix of Par 3's and 4's of multiple lengths, respectively. Some technical holes, many more open, beautiful holes. Good mix of shade and sun, many holes with good seating.

Roy G was recently trimmed + nearly gutted of all of the debris, long grass and off-fairway hazards (like bamboo). Since then, this course has jumped to a frustratingly disappointing 3.25 to a 4.5, EASY. It design is fabulous, layout very challenging but attackable for intermediate+ levels (difficult, but with great accuracy can be conquerable for lesser skilled players). There are also multiple ways to attempt many of the holes as well as many holes having multiple tee shots. For a player that multiple types of shots in the arsenal, this is heaven for the Austin Metro Area.

It's the best course I have ever played, with La Mirada (Los Angeles Area) and Williamson County DGC (Leander) coming in at 2nd and 3rd.

Cons: Finding this course and getting to the first tee is very difficult. The bridge that connects to that part of the trail where the course begins is currently closed (and quite gone), so you have to go around a fence, hop down into the river ravine (very little to no water if is hasn't rained very recently), reclimb up to the other side, walk uphill a bit, then find the 1st teebox. Eventually this won't be a problem, as that bridge will eventually be repaired. Don't let it sway you.

Also, Hole #18 is ridiculously far away from where you park. Either you park at #18 and hike all the way to Hole #1, or vice-versa. I feel that most disc-golfers love walking anyways, so it's more of a preferential thing.

There isn't a whole ton of elevation changes. There some, but not enough to be a positive, nor the lack there of be a negative.

It'd be nice to have more trash cans. I feel like there are some bags tied to trees, but I don't really recall a ton of trash. It's also a park with a trail, so outside of disc golf there are going to be some culprits.

It is very long, so often you feel like you're just tossing really hard a lot; however, I like to test my accuracy at distance so it works for me, personally.

If it isn't trimmed/cleaned up and particularly when it's over grown, it can be a NIGHTMARE. As of the beginning of February the course was perfect.
Other Thoughts: Get out very soon and play while it's manicured. I don't know how frequently it'll happen, so take advantage of it. Bring food/water. Dog friendly, especially if you want to tire them out.

Best course in Austin?

2-4    11/13/2016   11/14/2016
Review By: Spiraledout
Pros: Complex fairways, tight placement shots, and big big holes. It's all here. I had played before but not for years, and I just can't wait to go back. Nothing easy, but lots of chances to shoot well. Inspiring layout and beautiful scenery.
Cons: A few too many "G-curve" holes (appropriately for Roy G I guess), and a lot of soft righty hyzers. Holes start to feel like just another long heave, but the changing scenery makes it interesting throughout. Casual players would do well to play with someone who can help the, find discs and holes and help hustle them along. I was there on Sunday morning, but I bet it gets busy in high season. Not very much elevation for hill country, but that didn't even occur to me on the course.
Other Thoughts: I've played Circle C and East Metro and I think this one is the most fun. Circle C has too many rocks and chews up your discs. This course is more interesting, even if there is less elevation.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5