Pittsburgh, PA
Linbrook DGC Share
Uploaded By: Booleyn Hole #9 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #9 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Not The Course To play Solo As Evening Approaches!

1    7/17/2017   7/19/2017
Pros: I decided to play Linwood Park DGC at the last minute when I had a little extra time. The park is fairly large and seems to be the epicenter for the less traditional sports such as lacrosse and cricket. I wish I could have spent some time observing these games.

The disc golf course seems to be in a area that is mostly disc gold exclusive. As you enter the park, there is a sign pointing to all the areas and, sure as heck, there is disc golf listed. We're becoming mainstream, I reckon. There is a pavilion at the start as well as a practice basket. A 1st tee sign points the way into the woods and to the 1st teepad. There are three tee pads for each hole (some carpeted, some not) along with three basket positions. The baskets are Discatchers. There are quite a few next tee signs. Navigating the course was easier than navigating many holes, for me.

The course plays at any intermediate level from the longs. From the middle, I would intermediate to recreation level. My problem here, was the very thick rough eats discs and makes this course really difficult to play alone. I spent most of my time searching for errant throws, some of which were just barely off the fairway. I'm not really a fan of 500-600' holes with narrow fairways and thick rough. But I see where some players enjoy this challenge. I do really like the fact here that three seperate tees can give you three such different looks at the basket. This is truly a course where, by playing the different tees, you get three vastly different rounds. Other than the everpresent rough, it would be like playing three different courses. Number 9 is a great example of this. From the long is 219' over a gully with foreboding rough to throw over and needing a little anhyser action towards the end. From the middle, it's a straight forward Ace run.
Cons: Course could be treacherous in the rain.
Deep rough makes losing/searching for disc commonplace.
Length, rough and tightness, while a Pro for many can be a Con for others.
You really need multiple players in your group to tackle this course. There are too many holes where you lose sight of your disc over a hill or around the bend.
Other Thoughts: Linwood is a difficult course for me to rate. For a rec player who frequently plays alone, I could see myself giving it a 2 or 2.5. For those you looking to be challenged fir than a Schenkey Park experience, I can totally understand you rating this course 3.5. I hope I reached compromise at 3.0. I would like to play it again with a team of spotters at my side. Number 7 would be great if you could just let her fly without fear of your disc disappearing off fairway.

And when someone finds my beaten in old red Leopard in the deep rough on # 9, call me and I'll be glad to order you a new disc of your choice. I've been with that old Leopard for a long, long time and I'm already missing her!

Great Course! Natural OB is tough in summer

1    6/13/2017   7/14/2017
Review By: abreneman
Pros: - Great elevation changes
- Very challenging
- Good hole design, requires good forehand and backhand
- Multiple tees
- Minimal course traffic, never waiting on another group
Cons: - During spring and summer the rough is "rough". It is very easy to loose quite a few discs
- Only 9 holes

Moon Zappa

1    7/7/2017   7/8/2017
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Tee signs: At each tee. Shows all tee locations, all pin positions, current basket position, distance and elevation delta to all positions.

Three tees and three pin positions per holes.

Easy navigation.

Practice basket, pavilion at start.
Cons:
Played just after a rain. The near entirety of hole-6, early on hole-7, and a long stretch of hole-9 were quite slippery. Several lower spots were quite boggy.

Course plays up, down, and across the wooded slopes towards the back of a public, multi-purpose park. Elevation change on practically every hole, more downs than ups, but mostly my favourite - across valley/ravines.

The throwing lanes are all quite fair, relative to the distance you are throwing. Straight off the tee will work well on a majority of the holes, but some rights/lefts are required in the middle of the course.

Tee pads are a work in progress, with the front half complete. The tees are good quality.

This is the best niner I've played, and it stacks up well against the other top greater Pittsburgh-area courses.

Course developing nicely

2-4    5/17/2017   5/20/2017
Review By: jkleissler
Pros: Relatively good navigation from hole to hole after hole 1.
Excellent use of elevation changes in most of the holes.
Holes are well designed and require a good variety of throws.
Course is rough but well maintained.
Nice practice basket/pavilion positioning near parking area.
Cons: Hole to hole navigation in a couple spots was difficult to discern.
For a first timer, it's not entirely clear where one is supposed to go to find the tee for hole 1. While the tee pads are well maintained for hole 1, I recommend clearer signage for getting to them.
Other Thoughts: I played it last year but without a guide I couldn't find most tee pads and struggled my way through it. Now that temporary tee signs are posted and the tee pads are clearly marked this course was a pleasure to play and i'm eager to return. I highly recommend this course. This course is the closest to Deer Lakes in terms of elevation usage. And the woods are very nice overall. Hole 3 is a gorgeous valley hole. Love the look from the white tees on Hole 9. Also, I think the tees are well designed so that the red/blue tee is not just a shorter/longer look of the white tee on most holes. They often are unique looks with different throws required.

1    8/29/2016   8/30/2016
Review By: KoolaidOverdose
Pros: •Tight technical holes with a few opportunities for long bombs
•Wonderful use of the landscape
•Benches at nearly every hole
•Separation from the rest of the park helps to feel at one with nature
Cons: •Tees: 1) Some holes have 3 sets of pads (carpet), some have only 2 (unless I just couldn't find the third), and some tees don't have pads at all (just flags). 2) No hole signs
•"Next tee" signs are hard to spot on some holes. The sign from hole 3 to hole 4 is confusing for a first time player. When you go up the hill the sign points to the right, but when you get to the top of the hill you find the basket for hole 9, the gravel road that goes back to the parking lot, along with two other paths. Eventually I figured out the tee pad was actually to the left behind and around hole 9's basket. In hindsight I understand how the sign pointing to the right is to deter players from walking into the field of play for hole 9. My suggestion would be to add a second sign at the top of the hill pointing to the left.
•Not a good course to take small children. My 3 year old was constantly asking to be carried due to the steep uphill climbs and downhill treks.
Other Thoughts: Course work would really make this course worth visiting regularly. Now that all the pins have been installed, it's time to make tee signs and install permanent tee pads.

not fun

1    8/14/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: TXDiscDude
Pros: Nice and green on the course.
A few nice shots
Easy to navigate alone
Nice practice area
Cons: Nasty carpet tee pads
Garbage fairways
Lots of searching in trees
No flow
Had to walk pretty close to most baskets to find out where I was throwing
Other Thoughts: Go to knob hill instead. This course is lacking basic necessitates...Trash cans, benches.
Huge branch came crashing down close by. Be careful

Nice wooded course, hard to follow.

1    5/13/2016   5/13/2016
Review By: Jags
Pros: Very nice wooded course with some technical shots. I rather enjoyed this course other the the below mentioned cons. Worth playing but play with someone who knows the course.
Cons: Tee pads are pieces of carpet. Holes have NO SIGNAGE to show pin placement. The only signs are wooden blocks with green spray-painted numbers on it which are hard to see being GREEN. Most holes I'd walk halfway to the basket to see where it was located. Course doesn't have the best flow to it. Their are some next tee signs with arrows pointing in general direction while other times it leaves you guessing. Course is very wet and soggy/muddy in places.
Other Thoughts: Much better signage and cement tee pads would make this a much more enjoyable course. I know I have more cons than pro's but if a couple issues were taken care of with some TLC this course would be quite the gem.

A wooded challenge, rough around the edges

1    3/23/2016   3/28/2016
Review By: leath
Pros: - This course is heavily wooded, with a number of tight fairways and elevation changes on every hole. It offers a very secluded atmosphere, which will be even greater when the trees and brush have leaves in the summer.
- Multiple tees on each hole, marked with colored flags.
- There are "next tee" signs near each basket, which makes navigation more manageable.
- Holes #1-6 form a clockwise loop and #7-9 form a smaller counter-clockwise loop. The baskets for #6 and #9 are both reasonably close to the parking lot, so you can stop at the car to rehydrate if needed.
- Variety comes in the form of both hole shape (left, right, or straight) and use of the hilly terrain (up, down, or some combination).
Cons: The course is pretty rough, and the locals I played with said that it isn't maintained all that well. Plan to spend some time searching for discs in the summer, especially if you get off the fairways into the rough - they looked pretty uninviting even in March.
- Tees are natural or carpeted, which is understandable; it would be really difficult to get gravel or concrete to some of those locations. Unfortunately, they weren't all level, which is harder to overlook.
- No tee signs. If I wasn't playing with locals, I would have spent a fair amount of time searching for the baskets, and probably the tee pads. I played in late March before the leaves were out, so I know it gets much worse.
Other Thoughts: I'd rather play a wild, wooded course than an open city park, so I definitely enjoyed my round here. But I probably won't make it a regular stop because of the lack of maintenance and because it's designed for advanced players, which I'm not. If there were visible tee signs and a set of white tees to go with the blue and gold, it would be appealing to a wider group of players.

Family friendly rating - 1.0
PROS: I think there are two different playgrounds at the park, one being near the start of the course. There are also a number of baseball and soccer fields, so plenty of space to run around. The 9-holes are made up of two smaller loops, so access to the parking lot is okay. With all the athletic fields, it seems likely that there is at least one restroom facility on site, but I was in a hurry and didn't think to look.
CONS: It is not stroller accessible, and I would not recommend taking small kids for a round here - you'll spend time in the rough, and no one will have a good time. You'll need someone to stay with the kids at the playground if you want to play a round.

Linbrook - An Underappreciated Course

1    12/13/2015   12/13/2015
Review By: Mark Sachon
Pros: The course was just a hop from the city of Pittsburgh and barren of anyone on a seventy degree day in mid December. The overwhelming ambiance was very naturalistic and organic. Very little noise from any vehicular traffic or off road activities. The rolling hills and valleys proved to be tricky and should not be taken fro granted for the player looking to breeze through a quick nine.
Cons: Some of the tees have aged and the markers distinguishing between blue and orange are hard to find on certain pins. If it's your first time there you'll have to do some scouting to find the pin.
Other Thoughts: It's an awesome course, tricky and challenging to tempt the pro but fun enough for the rank amateur. Don't miss it if you're in the area.

Play Linbrook

5+    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: DaveSantoro
Pros: Great 9 hole course with changing elevations that winds through the woods. Challenging tee and pin locations makes you throw many different discs. Perfect for short fall days after work. Takes about an hour and 1/2 to play.
Cons: The course being situated IN the woods means there a lot of leaves and they can eat your discs so watch them closely. Also lots of ticks.
Other Thoughts: I love playing linbrook it's a great course that needs to be sued more. Also it serves as a great practice facility, because the 2 adjacent fields are open and large. So take out your new plastic and bomb away on the field then jam out a quick round.

< Prev 1 2 3