Cramerton, NC
Goat Island DGC Share
Uploaded By: scottlarson Hole #6 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #6 White Tee

Share URL:

Goat ****** Island

1    7/24/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: pharylon
Pros: * Shady
* Not very crowded
* Nice location on an island
* Going to 18 Holes soon.
Cons: * LOOOOOONG Holes
* Deep underbrush OB.
* Can be a bit hard to find the entrance.
Other Thoughts: First off, I'm an Intermediate player, maybe still a novice by some people's standards, so that's going to color my review.

I think the best way to sum up my feelings is that myself and my friends refer to this course as Goat F****er Island. Why?

Well, we were there on the park's grand opening, and the person in charge of the park (not the disc golf course, but the park itself) said the designers were making it a "black diamond" course. If that's their goal, they succeeded. But for me, that's not a very fun course.

The holes are long. Even the "short" tees. Nothing under 200', and there's even one "short" tee that's 400'! Now, that alone wouldn't be bad. I could use some practice on my long throws anyway...

But I can't. Not here. Most courses with long holes put them in the open. But here, only hole #1 is open (and even then, only open 3/4 of the way before you enter the woods). So if you'd think this would be a good course to sling your driver on, you're wrong. The underbrush is so deep, you'll end up losing a disc. It's not lightly wooded in the OB area, it's a JUNGLE just off the fairway. My friends and I spent as much time hunting for OB discs as we did playing.

So hole after hole, I end up taking safe midrange shots down hundreds of feet of fairway. Yaaaay? Maybe if I was a pro who could crush a straight 400' drive, I'd have had more fun. But I'm not. And I didn't.