Gainesville, FL
Northside Park Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #12 (Taken 6/2010)

1 2 3 Next >
 Take on Gaine'svilles best course.

5+    1/19/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: cocopop
Pros: I have played this course probably a dozen times and every time I play it I tell myself, "This time I'm gonna tear it up!" and I have yet to tame this challenging course.

As you pull up to the course you will notice that the property is shared by people playing tennis, racquetball, disc golf, and picnicking families. The thing that makes this a plus is even with all of the other activities taking place in the property, the course itself doesn't overlap them and still has a nice flow from hole to hole.

Almost all holes are 300+ ft, with a couple topping 500ft. As you stare down the fairways, you notice that it really isn't that wooded. However, all of the trees and foliage seem to be strategically placed to challenge your creativity and shot making abilities. Those responsible for designing this course put a lot of thought into every hole and, I'm sure, smiled mischievously at the challenges that were coming up with on a few of them. Like, for instance, hole #18. This is the signature hole of the course. It plays around 425ft and forces the thrower to flirt with a disc eating pond that borders the right center part of the fairway. You could wuss it and lay-up, but then you are left with a 150-200ft approach shot through the trees.

The park is very clean and well maintained with facilities and a water fountain that border 5 or 6 holes, so a break from the action to answer natures calls is always within reach.
Cons: Cons are small in number and annoyance.

The land seems to be one big flood plain when it rains, so stay away if it has recently rained.

The course is popular with the U of F students, so prime times can be pretty crowded and many of the people you will encounter are beginners so the goings can be slow. To avoid this just hit it during the middle of the week.
Other Thoughts: As I had mentioned, hole # 18 is the signature hole here. However, my favorite hole is #10. It's a tricky 325ft anhyzer shot down a narrow fairway that has only 1 route.

I love this course and will play it at every opportunity I can.

Fun for all

5+    1/10/2009   1/13/2009
Review By: holmslice
Pros: Course is mostly wide open but still with a good canopy of trees. Two sets of tee pads provide distance that suits both the avid and casual player. Little chance of losing a disc, water only on three holes (if it is a dry season).
Cons: Course has a lot of switch backs and is often very crowded. This causes the course to play very slow most of the time. Next tee can be difficult to find if it is your first time (local guide is recommended).
Other Thoughts: Not a very technical course but each hole is different. Holes vary from long to short and moderately wooded to wide open. Good mixture of dog leg left and right. Park is clean, well maintained, and has adequate facilities.

Beginner Friendly, Awesome Course

1    1/9/2009   1/9/2009
This review was updated on 5/3/2009
Pros: Beginner friendly course, which I needed. Multiple tees ( I played the pros and I have only played 6 rounds in my life) I didn't do too terribly because it is open enough to have misthrows, but still challenging enough. Nice concrete tees, nice signage (especially liked the arrows on the tee signs telling you where the next tee will be when you get to the basket. Absolutely no overgrowth.
Cons: Tough to see the baskets at this park for some reason. I wish the tops were painted so you could see them from a distance.
Other Thoughts: Absoultely an all around great course, good for beginners, but still challenging with the placement of the baskets near trees. Nice use of the drainage ditches. Nice signage, nice tees. My favorite to date as I said and I will certainly come back every year when I drive to Fort Myers.

Nice Course - Close to I-75

1    12/27/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: Course is self contained, only has brushes with the rest of the park (hole 18 in particular). Lightly wooded and mostly flat. Two sets of tees, big challenge from the pro tees, as all holes are par threes. Good variety of wooded, open, and some water holes on the course so be careful. Only 7 miles total from I-75. I was on a road trip so this made for a quick diversion. Being flat without much underbrush, you can play here fairly quickly, not a lot of searching for lost discs. Two tee pads is always nice for different levels. Course is well marked. I liked this course.
Cons: Not many at all. Hole 18 is over a lake, and the basket also comes real close to a picnic pavillion. I skipped 18 for fear of losing one of my new Christmas discs, and/or hitting a park pedestrian.
Other Thoughts: I was on a road trip from Atlanta to Ft. Myers, FL. With the exception of Claystone in Macon, GA, this is the closest you'll find to I-75, and its good quality. Plus for me, it was just past the half way point to Ft. Myers. I played 17 holes, got gas, had lunch, and was back on I-75 within two hours total. I'll go back on another road trip. Thanks to "crouchingwombat" (review below) for recommending this course.

2-4    1/23/2008   12/23/2008
Review By: aceman
Pros: lots of trees with no underbrush,flat,variety of shots,if you hit a tree you still have a chance for a 3.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: Double G lives next to the course and plays there regularly and asked us if he could play with us,super nice guy and a fun course.

Love it and hate it

5+    11/25/2008   11/25/2008
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: This course is very difficult but can be very rewarding when you actually get par or even better, get a birdie. After playing 50+ times I still feel challenged every time I go out. The holes are marked very well with little plaques and there are amateur pads that offer a whole new game.
Cons: Like I said in the Pros this course is hard. Every hole is a par 3 and some of they really shouldn't be. It's nice to actually go under par when you have an amazing day... not here. There are a few ponds and a creek that suck discs up but they can easily be avoided. Lastly, this park is becoming more and more popular. Most days you can easily get stuck behind a large group of idiots, especially Friday afternoons.

Great casual course

7/20/2008   7/21/2008
Review By: Ladred
Pros: This course has two concrete tees for most holes. It makes good use of its surroundings in creating a challenge for the novice, and advanced players. The atmosphere is diverse and the locals are incredibly welcoming and friendly. The challenges in this course range from a couple of easy to make birdie holes to a moderately difficult 500+ foot par 3 that has a grand expanse for the long drive, but the last 100 feet are divided by a wooded area beginning with a heavy wooded line. You want to land your approach drive so you can make it through the clear part of the wood line, as its the only safe part that your disc will slice through.
Cons: Absolutely no elevation change. This single fact lowers the challenge of the course considerably, but does add to the casual feel of the course.

nice course

1    6/29/2008   6/29/2008
Review By: steujr
This review was updated on 9/7/2008
Pros: good course. has some long holes, some trees and water hazards good signs to follow so you dont get lost. moves fast no hold up while we were playing (had 5 players) well keeped lots of players were there so course is well know. will be glad to play there again

1 2 3 Next >