Voorhees, NJ
Stafford Woods Share
Uploaded By: MichaelWebster Hole #15 (Taken 5/2014)
Hole #15 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
Jersey's Finest

1    7/9/2017   7/10/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: As someone who travels a lot, and plays a lot of new courses, designing a road trip around the Philadelphia area is tough. So many great courses, so little time. I had not played in the state of New Jersey before, so adding a new state, as well as a stellar course was a must. Stafford Woods was just right.

Although I may not be a pro, or even an advanced player, I played the Gold tees. I would recommend that to anyone who knows anything about disc golf, because it is definitely a better round from the Longs than the Shorts.

The course itself was in pristine condition. Rough was well kept, the fairways were clear of debris, and all the paths were marked. In fact, I would've guaranteed one of my discs would have gotten lost, but the grass was short enough to find my disc with ease.

The paver tee pads were in very nice condition, and gripped very well. I was able to air out on drives without fear of slipping, and they were also very professional looking, as the brick was very well placed.

The tee signs were very descriptive, with a very nice map, the distances, and the par. All in full color. The baskets were Chainstars in great condition, and they caught well. Nothing outstanding, but absolutely a fine basket.

The holes themselves were very well designed. Left turns, right turns, both on the same hole. Uphill, and downhill. And even open holes, along with the killer wooded holes.

There were quite a few features that I would like to point out, as I believe the designer did a fantastic job, as well as the people who maintain the course.
-The stone terraced greens, as well as the brick tees, and wood work were extremely well crafted. Top notch work, that looks like it will stay in place for a long time.
- The one hanging basket was well hung, and added unique challenge to that specific hole.
- The two water carries were easy enough that you could cross without massive power, but also had a possibility of a tree kick to splash. Very nice holes.

Navigation was a breeze. There were lots of next tee signs, and if there wasn't, the next tee was self explanatory.
Cons: As much as I loved playing the course, I have to point out a few things.

The white tees were still a work in progress. The holes that did have two tees were done nicely, and I am sure that two tees will be completed shortly.

Although the course had some very challenging holes for me, I felt that the golds would not provide the challenge to a pro. The course was challenging, and fair, but not overly challenging. This can be both a con and a pro, especially for a park course.

On the flip side, since there is currently only one always permanent tee, at a course with easy access to chuckers, the golds were a bit of a challenge. I saw some people who probably didn't know any better throwing 50 foot hyzers off the gold tee of a par 5.

The walk back to the parking lot was longer than most courses. There was a sign guiding you out, but after an 18 hole round in 90 degree weather, the cooler full of water in your car was screaming for attention.

The parking lot itself was not paved, or gravel. It was like a mulch, dirt, and leaf carpet. Just know that this is the actual parking lot. I was lucky kit was not a rainy day, but I have a feeling it could get bad after a good rain.

There was no significant wow factor. I didn't throw a 500 foot drive off a mountain. Stafford is just really, really, REALLY, solid golf. Nothing fancy, but definitely an easy 4 star course.
Other Thoughts: I teetered between a 4 and a 4.5, but settled with a strong 4. I absolutely feel that a strong 4 will show that this course is definitely worth a play.

I would like to say how different every course feels. You have your destination course, and the solid courses, and the dinker courses, with lots in between. This is between a destination and solid. It felt a lot like a home course that you could play every day and not get bored, I think that courses like that are very important. I don't think you can play an 11,000 foot course every day. It is not worth it, and it takes a toll on you. Save those for special occasions. Have this for those every day plays, but also add it to your destination trip. That is what I did, And I loved every second of it,

Great course

2-4    6/1/2017   6/1/2017
Review By: Dino
Pros: Nicely maintained course, tees marked well, signage for the next hole marked at every basket. Course is easily navigated first time out.
Couple of holes shoot over water (rake provided at the bunker for disc retrieval)
Decent elevation and a good mix of long and short holes.
Cons: Parking lot is the only con I have.
Lots of wet mulch in the center, small cars beware.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of seating while waiting to tee off at almost every hole, Although it hasn't been crowded anytime I've played, I've only had to wait a couple of times
The course is mostly wooded with several open shots. Accuracy is key here.
We will definitely make this part of our regular rotation
Easy to get to, just a couple of miles of 295.

Heck Yeah!

5+    2/18/2017   2/18/2017
Review By: seanyboyhoward
Pros: This course is a gem! Without a doubt the best course in NJ. The updated paver tee pads are incredible! Baskets are in great conditions. Two practice baskets near the parking lot. Great signage as well! Holes are HARD but fair. This course is rewarding of a great shot on the wooded holes, rough is rough but always leaving you with an out and fun to bomb on the open holes! SJDG does a great job with the maintenance and locals are always a blast!
Cons: Nope.
Other Thoughts: With the option of 2 different tee pads and many holes with moving pin locations, this is a fantastic place to play! Playing over water is additionally a good time! I'd encourage people to go play.

Tough wooded little course

5+    10/19/2016   10/19/2016
Review By: Robbonj
Pros: Tee pads, seating have been improing every week.
Short and Long tee pads on 12 of 18 holes adds a varied challenge.
Water in play on 2 holes.
A good mix of Wooded and Open fields considering the nature of South Jersey (Arguably 6 "open" holes 4, 5, 6, 7, 15, 16)
Challenges the players to make smart decisions over a variety of shots. A smart player can mitigate the impact of trees and luck.
Cons: Luck is a small factor due to the wooded nature.
Players need to pick up after themselves better, some trash throughout course, not the fault of the course though.
Other Thoughts: The only course I've ever played, so I may be biased but IMHO an AMAZING course for the midatlantic

Unofficial "home" course

2-4    8/14/2016   9/20/2016
Review By: Strax Sontaran
Pros: -Intuitive layout, and "Next Tee" signs to help you along.
-Some open holes, most wooded, but not so tight as to make it unbearably hard
-Course maintenance is ongoing, and this makes for great playing conditions all the time
Cons: -Parking lot could use something besides chipped wood as a surface. If you have a lowered car, be aware of how you enter
-Some high grass on some of the holes will swallow your disc
Other Thoughts: I haven't been playing long, and this is the second course I played. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Tee pads are solid, the course layout makes sense, and the holes are a length that will both challenge and validate a variety of skill levels.

Fun and challenging

1    3/5/2016   4/6/2016
Review By: DiscFlicker77
Pros: Great mix of open holes and wooded, technical holes. Some elevation changes make you rethink certain throws.
Cons: Some holes are heavily wooded making it inevitable for one player in your party to hit a tree.

Parking lot is bad and muddy.
Other Thoughts: Water hazard on 2 holes is extremely punishing and nearly impossible to retrieve your disc. My buddy lost his disc in the pond. While we were trying to find it someone else's disc came soaring into the pond from the other tee.

This course will challenge all level of players.

I will definitely be back often.

Great Course - Challenging Holes

1    8/9/2015   8/14/2015
Review By: rmart617
Pros: Good for beginners and pros! This course is very clean and nicely maintained. Very narrow throws on some holes that can make it challenging for a beginner and also some wide open tees to really work on your long drives.Water hazards also add a challenging feature. Very well spread out and you hardly run into other players. Best course around if you live in the Burlington County area.
Cons: Very small and unnoticeable entrance off of the roadway.
Other Thoughts: Be careful with ticks as you are literally in the middle of the woods on some holes. Highly recommend using bright disc at this course as many holes have really high grass if you don't hit the fairway.

South Jersey gem

5+    7/8/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 1/2/2016
Pros: Finally a good to great course in south Jersey (Philadelphia suburbs) all thanks to SJDG!

Not far from interstate hiway I-295.

Par 63 with lots of par 4's and a par 5; designed to fit today's discs capabilities and challenge highly rated golfers.

VARIETY of shots are needed; left to right, right to left, straight, long, short, wooded and open with a good use of what elevation there is in this part of Jersey.

Two shots over water! A lost and found box and a working club to return discs. I have brought back over 20 discs to Sedgley just this year.

New Chainstar baskets, I haven't seen many truly good shots get rejected by them.

Hanging basket on #16 is a nice touch.

Easy to navigate after finding hole #1 with plenty of yellow arrows and next tee signs. Long and short tees exist on most holes. Two loops of nine holes each.

Two practice baskets and a very clean port a john on site.

Tight wooded shots are required but they are mostly fair, if you hit the line, you can score some birdies.

Constantly improving (tee pads) since opening 3 years ago thanks to Adam and the many volunteers / local players.

Very clean area, hardly any litter on the course.
Cons: Entering and exiting the course on Evesham Av is somewhat dangerous, please be extra careful. The one lane gravel bumpy driveway is a major pain.

The tee signs show 2 tee and 2 baskets yet some holes don't have that yet. A system needs to developed indicating which basket is currently in play since not all can be seen from the tee.

TICKS are in these woods and long grass on the open holes.

The teepads are a mixed bag, some cement pavers, some rubber ones, some have carpet (better than it sounds) and some short ones are dirt.

No running water is available.

The odd turn in 8's fairway (similar to Sedgley 27) and the way 9's fairway gets narrower as it gets longer. Maybe this is simply my problem?

You can definitely lose a disc in the pond on #3 and #7.

Other Thoughts: Parking will expand very shortly with today's demolition of the on site house.

Every time I step up to long #2, it reminds me of Iron Hill.

#15 here reminds of #15 at Warwick, starting in the woods, then two long field shots and finishes back in the woods. Great par 4!

Wish the par 5 #11 had one or two less trees in the fairway. Landing in the middle doesn't always give a good look for your next shot.

Par is 63 from both long and short tees? I think not.

After 3 years of play now, the underbrush isn't so bad anymore. Plenty of laurel trees and some stickers to avoid though off the fairway.

I still haven't birdied several holes here: long 4, 5, long 11 and 15.

For those without a car, NJ Transit bus 451 passes the course but I'm not sure where the actual bus stop is. The PATCO Ashland train station is 2 miles from the course.

Plenty of food options are nearby, Shop Rite is basically across the street and Wawa is at the closest intersection.

"Four"hees

1    3/28/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 good, challenging holes with many offering two tees and many alternate pin positions. Baskets are Chainstar's, and they catch and look nice. Although there are a lot of tight wooded holes, you'll always have a definitive lane to hit. The water holes are not overwhelming, and add some OB to a course that doesn't have too much in the way of OB. Hanging basket on 16 a nice feature. Something for everyone. Close to the highway. Stays pretty dry even after recent rains, always a plus for a wooded course. Two practice baskets. Many par 4's and even a par 5.
Cons: The parking lot. Not many spaces available and it is a little marshy. Although there are not many long walks from hole to hole, it is a little walk back to the parking lot from basket 18.
Other Thoughts: Again, the course has a number of pro par fours mixed in with tight birdie runs and even a par five, welcome deviations from your prototypical par 54 course. It was a thrill to play this course on my trip to the area, and worth the drive if you're in the Philadelphia area.

1    8/23/2014   12/23/2014
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: Stafford Woods is a way better course than I expected when I was driving in. I didn't expect a really good wooded course because the area seemed so developed. Very peaceful feel even though you are so close to the hubbub. The course was manicured with nearly no underbrush and very little litter. There is a nice variety with elevation, distances, turns, and risk/reward. There a couple open holes but it is mostly wooded. Most holes have 2 tee pads. There are different types of tee boxes but all of them were solid footing.

Other Pros:

-nice tee signs and arrows for easy navigation
-2 water carries
-2 practice baskets
-challenging yet fun
-well designed (two 9 hole loops)
Cons: I knew the driveway was going to be hard to catch but we still blew right past it. The road is busy and higher speed so by the time we saw the sign for the course we were past it. 2 U-turns and we made it. Then I felt like we were at someone's house. But all was good, the house is used for the locals tourneys, message boards, and lost and found box. We had trouble finding the 1st tee, but I pulled up the map and didn't need the map after tee #1 was found. The parking area can be tricky if it's busy as it's just a carved out area in the trees. These are really just nitpicks. The locals have done a great job creating a gem.
Other Thoughts: I really was completely surprised. The course deserves the rating it has earned. I will be back. I really enjoyed the water carries. Both aren't too far but you need to worry about making it past the slope so your disc doesn't roll back to the pond. Great course, highly recommended

< Prev 1 2 3