Hinsdale, IL
Katherine Legge Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #8 (Taken 8/2012)
Hole #8 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Millionaire's Course

1    9/9/2017   11/22/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.021 Rating) An upscale city park course of moderate length.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - A really nice looking park in a beautiful neighborhood. There are rolling meadows, a meandering 6 foot wide creek and large oak trees. There are really no major drawn backs in terms of its beauty. All the holes visually look around average or better. That stated, none of the holes here have 5 star looks either. No cliff faces, carved wooded fairways, or large tranquil water features here like at the courses I've scored much higher.
- ELEVATION - I was surprised by the amount of elevation on this course. It has to be one of the hillier courses in state of Illinois. That stated, the elevation is very approachable. The slopes are never more than 20 degrees and the max any one hole dives or rises is around 35 feet. Holes (3) and (8) are both really fun 30 to 35 foot down shots with a winding creek lurking just beyond the basket.
- CHARACTER - Above average. The tee pads are concrete and adequately sized. There is good hole signage showing hole layout, obstacles, and distance. There is a community board with course map and league info. There are shelters with picnic tables at a couple locations in the park and there is seating at about 40 percent of the tees. Missing items include alternate basket locations and multiple tees.
- NAVIGATION - I took a picture of the course map and had no issues. Please note that there are only one set of tees that are marked, the white tees.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Although only one concrete tee per hole, the skills required should allow a nice challenge for intermediate players and also fair enough for rec players, These two groups make up the largest portion of the disc golf community.
- MAINTENANCE - The park was in immaculate shape. The grounds appeared to be constantly mowed, trimmed and manicured. I don't recall seeing any trash on my visit.
- LOCATION - Katherine Legge is a quick pit stop off the highway. Less than a ten minute drive from the I294 exit. In addition, the area the course is in is quite upscale. There are several million dollar mansions within a stone's throw of the course.
Cons: Other than some duel use issues, Katherine Legge doesn't have any pronounced issues.
- WALKING PATHS - There are five or six tee shots with the potential of running a disc onto a waking path. The park appears to get a lot on non disc golf traffic, so waiting to throw for safety reason is likely going to occur during prime times.
- COULDN'T FIND EXTRA TEES - The course map and hole signage indicates 3 tees or 2 tees at many holes. However, on my play I did see any extra ones. They are either no such extra tees or they are so hard to find that only the locals can spot them.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - With the one set of tees seeming to be all the middle or back locations, I saw this course reading at about average for difficulty when playing it par 54. For my skill level, Intermediate, I found the course to be a par fest. The holes were just long enough and it was just windy enough, where I couldn't get but a couple drives within twenty feet of the basket. I could see an advanced player shooting 8 to 10 down (par 54) on a light wind day. Shop shaping is limited and the length of a drive will be the biggest factor in going low.
- UNIQUENESS - The variety here is a touch below average. First off, way too many open to lightly wooded holes for my taste. Only one hole, (15) has anything that sort of resembles a tunnel shot and there are no dogleg or pocket shots. In general, the basket guarding is light to moderate. On a positive note, lots of interesting creek plays and some decent elevation for an Illinois course (see pros)
- WIND - Since most of the holes have very few trees, wind may be an issue. I was personally greeted with 15 to 20 mph gusts for my round, on what was supposed to be a light wind day.
Other Thoughts: Katherine Legge is a great looking city park course that I think most would personally love to have in their back yard. If the course had all the tees that were indicated by the hole signage and course map, I think I would score this course above a 3.25, and thus a 3.5 rating on DGCR. With the extra tees it would really drive home the element of skill level friendliness from rec thru advanced rather than just an intermediate level course. No doubt a course worth checking out if your passing thru the Chicago area on I294, especially if you don't have the time to detour and check out highly rated Canyons or Fairfield.
- TIME PLAY - I think this course will fall right in the middle in the time to run a full round. I estimate 100 to 120 minutes for group of four. Neither a pro or a con in IMO.

Beautiful setting and pretty open

1    9/8/2017   9/8/2017
Review By: iri01001
Pros: Course is easy to follow from hole to hole. Perfect setting for an early fall afternoon.
Cons: No real long holes. Actually pretty crowded when I played it.
Other Thoughts: Not too challenging, but a great course that play pretty quick

Legge'ing It

1    9/2/2017   9/2/2017
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Set in yet another multi use park and is sort of away from other activites.
- Unlike most courses in this type of setting the signage was quite nice. Pay attention to the "Next Tee" marker on the tee pad signs and you can really go wrong. Never once needed a map.
- The baskets are some version of Mach whatever and are in decent shape. Of course the 90 mph 15' McCray putts might "spit out" off the center pole. *rolleyes*
- Grass is mowed
- Tee pads are perfect. Flat, level and grippy.
- Sort of thought 8 was the signature hole. A very reachable downhill pin placement with a OB creek behind it.
Cons: - Not a lot in the way of benches. Would have been nice with the hilly nature of this course.
- Not sure if this is an issue or not but it sure seems some of the holes play mighty close to what appear to be Lacrosse fields. The holes in question are 12, 13 amd 14.
- Speaking of the aforementioned holes, those just seemed like some filler holes. Only purpose is to get dg'ers from point A to point B.
- 15 was a serious poke 'n hope hole. This probably would not bother me so much had there not been a nice OB fence adjacent to it with lots of no trespassing signs on it. One little random kick off a tree and it's hasta la vista Mr. Disc.
- In fact, all three holes (14, 15 and 16) along that fence kinda bothered me. Seems like an easy spot for a grip-locking newb to toss one over.
- Uphill holes...somehow it seems like there are more uphill shots than downhill.
- Don't have a lot of confidence in the distances on some of the signage. Some of them just seemed a lot shorter than what they should be.
- Didn't see concrete tees for anything other than the white tees although some of the tee signs indicate there are three separate tees on this course. Looks like when the blues and reds are separate from the white those tees are teeing off the grass apparently. Didn't see signage indicating where the blues or reds where.
Other Thoughts: Katherine Legge is a nice park to be sure. No serious design flaws in the course anywhere really. But it's average-ness is what holds this course back. It's just as simple dg walk between holes in a fairly open park interspersed with trees and filled with mowed grass. Nothing really wow'ed me here. That said, it's a nice place to get out and play. With a few exceptions along the fences there's very little opportunity to lose discs. I guess I just didn't get as excited as some of the reviewers here.

A Fantastic Course in the Suburbs

1    8/19/2017   8/19/2017
Review By: amryan11
Pros: - some actual elevation change, any of which is appreciated in Chicago
- plays all around a beautiful park with lots of space and a creek
- excellent signage and next tee signs in good repair
- large concrete tees
- park is very well-kept and clean
- baskets in good repair
- course layout is very well thought out, with next tee almost always near previous basket
- variety of wooded and open shots
- variety of hole lengths
- technically challenging at points but still rewarding if you make decent shots
- layout avoids sports fields and walking paths very well
Cons: - alternate tees are marked well on signs, but are not easy to find in the grass
- doubles as a dog park (not a con for me, but could bother some people)
- many activities going on that could potentially interfere, not that I saw any issues with this
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in Hinsdale. Sometimes the intangibles factor in, and I really just loved the feel of this course. It is picturesque, well-maintained and a lot of it is nice and shady on warmer summer days.

I was here on a Saturday morning, and be prepared for dogs galore. It doubles as a dog park, and while this didn't bother me at all, there was one or two times I was afraid a dog was going to grab my disc off the ground (didn't happen). I also had to shoot a put over a large St. Bernard that came to say hi, but that made it all the more fun. All of the dogs running loose were very friendly, and they mostly stay off the course, but some roamed. Dogs are not allowed to run free all day, but rather certain hours of the morning and evening, so they can be avoided if you're concerned about it.

There really weren't many cons to this course. It has the best elevation change you can expect in Chicago (which isn't much). The baskets, signs, and tees are all in great shape. There are 3 tees for each hole, though I hardly could find any of the alternate tee markers in the ground, something I've found irritating on many courses as of late. There are a variety of hole lengths and some wide open and some much more technical shots. The course will challenge you, but it won't beat you down.

One thing I especially appreciated was the layout. While there are multiple lacrosse, soccer, etc. fields, walking paths, dog park, and wedding facilities in this park, they never really felt "in my way." The course designers did a great job of designing a good-length 18 hole course while largely avoiding the other activities- save for the occasional wandering dog.

All in all, I really enjoyed this course and plan to come back. It is one of my favorite in the area, and while it might be more like a 3.25 for me, it really does check a lot of boxes. Highly recommended.

1    7/14/2017   7/15/2017
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Katherine Legge Memorial Park is a beautiful and well-tended setting to host a disc golf course. The rolling hills throughout the course provide some great variety in terms of elevation to contest with, especially on the front nine. The first half of the course includes a shallow creek as well, and there are several downhill shots made significantly more hair-raising owing to the need to consider this hazard. At the same time, the water is shallow enough to easily retrieve your disc, which is nice (or at least it was during my visit).

Trees dot the landscape throughout, and while the course is far from technical there are certainly obstacles to consider on most holes, be they barriers to bend around or ceilings to avoid. The course plays plenty open all the same, lending a free-wheeling sense in which a variety of lines can be thrown on most holes. There are some opportunities to really let loose regardless of how studly your max D is. The result is a fun and casual course that plays more quickly than its overall length may first suggest.

Navigation is easy, parking is plentiful, tees are well-signed.
Cons: The light tree cover and straightforward hole layouts ultimately made this a boring course for me. You can throw hyzers on every hole, especially if you're even passably FH/BH versatile, and there's nothing to punish landing a bit or often even a lot wide of your mark save for the creek at a few points. You're never forced to think or adapt your game, and there is no line-shaping beyond the very basic. As such I found myself coasting by the end of my round.

DGCR lists three sets of tees but only one, the long, was visible by my assessment. This course had only a single layout from what I could see although it's easy enough to be welcoming to players at all levels.

For a course that encouraged pushing for distance I found the concrete tees to be too short at times.

Player traffic seems higher here than many other Chicago-area courses I've visited.
Other Thoughts: Katherine Legge makes for a casual round that plays quickly for 18 holes at almost 6000 total feet. It's a solid option to stop at as part of a larger day trip, but not a course I'll likely return to again as a visitor to the area. If you're looking for a light round then I'd recommend it; if you want something technical, try the excellent nearby Central Park.

Grassy, hilly and usually windy

5+    9/18/2016   9/18/2016
Review By: JamesHHolt
This review was updated on 10/31/2016
Pros: Open, but still diffucult.
Beautiful walk with many different kinds of trees.
Elevation!
Cons: DOGS - Dont let them eat your disks.
The park can sometimes have many dogs offleash - beware! I lost a putter there to a happy pup.
Dont let this persuade you to never visit, this is only the occasional saturday or sunday that are awesome days.
Windy some days.
Other Thoughts: The whole course is grassy with a small (5 ft) creek going through the middle of it. If it rains, you can still play.

Must play for the Chicago land area

2-4    8/2/2016   8/12/2016
Review By: illinoisdiscgolf
Pros: The whole park is very nice. Very nice practice basket and a lot of fun holes. Multiple Tee pads are nice and change the courses look after multiple rounds. The creek is easy to get discs out of which I like because if you do make a mistake you loose a stroke and not any plastic. Tree's fill the course and make you throw good shots. Over all fun course with a good variety of shots.

Instagram- @illinoisdiscgolf
Cons: The lack of difficulty is one of the only issues with this course. This can easily be fixed by playing all holes as par 3's but would still like to see some longer tee shots.
Other Thoughts: Check out my instagram @illinoisdiscgolf

Well marked

1    7/15/2016   7/16/2016
Review By: kenlaundra
Pros: Course very well marked with signs and arrows, all tees have signs/maps, lots of undulating fairways and a creek, not crowded
Cons: Avoid 7-10 hours when dogs are being walked
Other Thoughts: Best course I've played in Illinois!

Liked the Course, Didn't Care For The Dogs!

1    6/24/2016   6/24/2016
This review was updated on 9/9/2017
Pros: This is another large sprawling park in these parts, only this park has the great terrain for disc golf, rolling hills and a creek to add to the courts ambience. The designers laid out a fine course using the hills to their fullest. The course definitely has some fun downhills.

The course has two practice baskets and a kiosk with an excellent course map. There are Porti-Potties at the start. Katherine Legge has nice sized concrete tee pads and the same tee sign poles as every other course in this area. And these signs also list three different tee pads when I could only find one. There are next tee signs which help with the navigation. The baskets are decent with small red numbers on them. There are about 10 holes listed at Par 4's. They're pretty generous with their pars here at Legge Memorial allowing an old, rec player like myself to shoot 6 under. I imagine advanced players are shooting 12 to 15 under the listed pars. And there's nothing wrong with good players shooting well under par.

I was liking on this course and then I walked up to # 15. It's a beautiful hole, 350' slightly downhill to a basket sitting in a grove of about two dozen trees. The park fence runs along the right side of the fairway. I like it as the signature hole here. As much as I liked # 15, # 17 was another lovely hole. It's 270' downhill and then over the creek.

Cons: I played early on a Friday morning and the dogs were a pain in my behind. Two or three times they came charging up behind me and then one grabbed one of my favorite discs from under the basket. Luckily, the mutt didn't leave any teeth marks. Dogs are like kids-Everyone thinks their's is the cutest in the world when it might just be a ugly mongrel.

I really disliked # 18 as a finishing hole, 480' up a small hill and completely open. Blah! And here I was, really excited after playing the two lovely holes, # 15 and 17.

There were two groups of cross country runners running the park today. I had to wait a couple of times for them but it was no biggie.

Other Thoughts: The creek and the rolling hills just make this course rock. There are so many opportunities here for classic throws. The creek was running low this morning but I heard that it can swell up after a rain and be a disc eater.

After reading other reviews, I would really try to play at times when every dog in Illinois isn't here.

Beware the Dogs

5+    3/7/2016   12/11/2015
Review By: jnmayer37
This review was updated on 3/7/2016
Pros: **(3.7.2016 Update): The course is a little sloppy around the baskets. But otherwise it is in great condition right now. Unless we have super bad weather I think this course will play well through the spring and into the summer. There are still dogs that linger after 10 AM even during the weekday, but it's really fine. Great course in the area and super pretty.

This is a very fun course with a lot of variety. Water comes in to play on almost half the holes. But it's a little creek, and not likely that you will lose your disc. Overall, the course is well kept even in the late fall. There are changes in elevation and the course gives you a variety of ways to approach the basket. I love this course because it is beautiful and not to difficult to play. Even an errant shot can be made up with a good up shot.
Cons: Dogs. Do not go on Sunday morning. Lots of dogs. I played with someone today and he said that it used to be a dog park. Either way, I played last Sunday and there must have been a 100 dogs running around without a leash. And a few times the dogs picked up my disc.

** Update - It still is a dog park. Dogs need to be on leash south of the creek at all time. North of the creek dogs are permitted to run around without a leash until 10 AM. So if I were you, I'd play the course after 10 AM. I recently had a small, friend dog return my just thrown disk...with two little holes in it from her teeth. Ha. Oh well.
Other Thoughts: Do not let the dog part scare you. This is a great, average length course. The dogs were only a problem on Sunday morning. I have played every other day of the week, and it's not that bad. There is also a league that plays there, but I am not part of it.

< Prev 1 2 3 4