Lake Odessa, MI
Lakewood High School Share

Share URL:

One Of The Worst Designs Ever!

1    8/30/2017   9/2/2017
This review was updated on 9/12/2017
Pros: I truly believe when you design a course at a high school, said course needs to be appropriate for those high school students. Did the principal or school board approve a course that their students could have no success on and will never play?

There are two Pros for this course. First, there is a great course sign at the beginning. Secondly, nice baskets. Rarely used. Only about 100 catches on their odometer.

Now, on to the Cons!

Cons: Starting with hole # 1. The tee sign is broken and unreadable. Next, the ground where the tee pad once stood has been bulldozed over. Third, this is an absolutely ridiculously designed hole. You're throwing over the pavement/parking lot and then need a sharp right turn around the corner of the woods. I doubt very much if any HS student here can make this throw.

Hole # 2. No sign and much overgrown.

Hole # 3. 321' feet with thick woods all along the right side of the fairway. Goodbye discs.

# 4. 439' up a 30' wide fairway with tall, disc hiding grass on both sides. Yeah, HS students are going to love this hole.

# 5. My own personal favorite. First, I went the wrong direction looking for a sign and ended up on the other side of the jungle. It's actually only a 260' carry but you're throwing over this wetlands area with 10 feet high jungle grass and other creepy plants. If I threw my disc into this abyss, I wouldn't be worried about finding my disc, I'd be worried about finding my way out.

# 6. Not bad! 201' with a slight anhyser needed and there's actually a fairway.

# 7. No sign. I'm lost. I quit! I think the basket is over at the corner of the soccer field. This basket is trashed. What a surprise. By now, I felt like trashing the next basket myself.

# 8. ????

# 9. I've given up.

Now this is my particular favorite Con about this course. As I get ready to walk back to my car, I look out over the horizon and in the far distance, I glimpse sight of the high school. It's like a mile away. It was like as I was looking through the wrong end of my binoculars.
Other Thoughts: Don't waste your time. The course is toast. It's done. The Lakewood HS students have spoken and they overwhelming vote "No". This is not the course for them or anyone, for that matter.

Could be epic for a 9 hole with a few tweaks...

1    8/30/2012   8/30/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic--plays around the athletic fields at Lakewood High School, incorporating them as OB as well as parking lots and driveways.
Upkeep here is nice, all nicely mowed and the wooded holes had relatively clear fairways.

Baskets--brand new Innova DisCatchers. Basket #1 was missing (somehow) highly visible for the wooded holes.

Teesigns--Beautiful, full color, OB marked with accurate distances.

Variety--A little of everything a flat course has to offer.. fields, wooded, even a little water come into play.
Cons:
Routing--very tricky in places 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 are very tricky. I made and posted a map to aide further travels.

Teepads--grass, no skid marks yet.

risk v reward--other than the water hole, there is none. not a single "scary" throw.

missing basket on hole 1
Other Thoughts: this course will be epic with a few "next tee" signs on some of the longer walks. for a 9 holer, having this many 400 footers and this kind of variety is rare. thoroughly enjoyable.

good enough

5+    8/22/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: chainsaw hyzer
This review was updated on 8/25/2012
Pros: Nice layout and mixture of open and wooded holes. Great for beginners. Most holes are very reachable.
Cons: It's only a 9 hole course. There is absolutely no elevation changes whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: Good course for locals who don't want to drive far to get their disc golf fix.