Bend, OR
Pine Nursery DGC Share
Uploaded By: WilsonSandersDavis Hole #5 (Taken 11/2013)

Share URL:

Better than it looks from the road

1    7/28/2017   8/16/2017
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 10/1/2017
Pros: -Pine Nursery DGC is set in an un-manicured portion of Pine Nursery Park. It is the only disc golf course within the city of Bend.

-From the road, this course looks not so great. Scattered pine trees, lots of sagebrush, and dirt. But it's actually quite fun. The terrain is gently sloping, young pine trees and rock outcroppings provide a challenge on several holes, and most of the landing zones are clear of sagebrush. Each hole has its own character.

-There's a nice sign near the first tee with a course map. You shouldn't need it, though. Every basket has a sign with an arrow pointing you towards the next tee.

-The baskets are bright orange Mach 5s. The color makes them nice and visible among the sagebrush and pine trees.

-Nice metal tee signs showing the distance and direction to each of the two basket placements on the hole.

-The concrete tee pads are nice, large and clear of dirt.

-Not crowded. When I went I had the course to myself.

-My favorite holes were #9, which plays slightly downhill to a basket perched on a rock outcropping, and #13, a straight downhill mid range shot.
Cons: -It's a very long walk to the first tee. There are multiple signs pointing the way. However, I would suggest Hole 14 or Hole 18 become Hole 1, because they are much closer to the parking lot.

-What looked like fire ants were present on several holes.

-There are no restrooms or trash cans on the course.

-The ground is very sandy. It's like going to the beach. This makes for footing problems, and the necessity to empty your shoes after every hole.

-If you don't know the course, you'll have trouble spotting some of the baskets. Several are hidden among sagebrush or behind boulders or pine trees. A flag fixed to the top of each basket would be welcome.
Other Thoughts: -This course is perfect for the intermediate player who can throw 280'-350'. Many of the holes afford an opportunity for a birdie, and a few are more challenging, requiring two shots to reach the basket. If you are a beginner, however, you will spend considerable time looking for your disc among the scattered sagebrush in the fairways. Make sure to throw bright colored discs!

-This was a fun course. I was skeptical at first, but it ended up being an enjoyable round. Once the pine trees grow in, it'll be really nice.

1    7/30/2017   8/5/2017
Review By: Nate32
Pros: Pine Nursery DGC is a very nice 18 hole course in Bend OR. This course plays through thick gorse and dusty fairways.

- What I like about this course is that it is very challenging and fun with a lot of different types of shots.
- This course has very nice tee signs, basket and teepads. The course conditions are ok but mostly pretty nice.
- All the holes at pine nursery are open and there are not to many trees which is a problem on hot days.
- There is a nice map at the first tee along with a practice basket. I thought hole 9 was really cool.
- I found navigating real easy because on the basket there is an arrow pointing to the next tee.
Cons: I noticed that there was a lot of what looked like fire ants of the tee pads. And also there were a lot of bushes on every hole in the middle of the fairway.
- There was a long hike to the first tee so I ended up walk basically 2 EXTRA holes to the first tee. But there was good signage to the first tee.
- On hole 12 I had to walk up half of the fairway to see the basket but I thought It was number 16's basket so we just played to there. And that hole took forever to finish.
The fire ants are so DISTRACTING and they are EVERYWHERE. On hole number 12 I found their home and they were like on top of each other so I had to like leap over them.
Other Thoughts: Pine Nursery was a great course to play but I am not super sure if want to come back. But besides that I think it is a great course. Also someone needs to to update the pictures there is only 8 pics out of 18 holes

MARKED PATHS PLEASE!

1    3/4/2017   3/13/2017
Review By: mrDROCK
Pros: - Great use of the space.
- Neon baskets!
- Varying hole lengths.
- Good challenge finding new lines.
- Beautiful landscape.
- Multiple hole placements.
- Different fairway layouts.
Cons: - SIGNAGE NEEDED (I know new signs were coming in soon.
- No rhyme or reason to walkouts between holes. (So thankful catching some locals at hole 1 to play with.)
- Next closet tee to the previous basket is NOT the next hole. (Seriously, 20' between basket and a teepad, but not that next hole. Had to walk 250' to next pad.
- Shrub can swallow your discs. Bright colors needed.
- No seating or trashcans.
Other Thoughts: This course was a lot of fun and I appreciate the visibility of the baskets in the shrubbery. The walking between holes was ridiculous, I am not sure who laid it out, but without clear lines/rope/paint/something, there was no way to really know where the next hole should start unless you had a local with you.

Somewhat confusing, but fun

1    7/25/2016   7/25/2016
Review By: CK_Upshot
Pros: Nice, large concrete tee pads and nice baskets.
Easy to locate discs in the terrain.
Fun layout, with a good mix of distance.
2 possible placements for most holes.
Cons: Layout IS somewhat confusing, and the tee pads aren't clearly labeled (but baskets are).
Open nature of course can lead to hot play, and windy conditions, weather depending.
Other Thoughts: Use the map linked on DGCR, as the one posted onsite is the old 9-hole layout, and will leave you even more confused. The pad for hole 1 is on the far corner of the ball fields (a small trek from the parking lot) and the kiosk is closer to hole 18 basket. Overall, this was a fun course, and I enjoyed my round. It reminded me somewhat of Truckee River; fairly flat and open, with some pine trees and lots of sage brush. I played solo and didn't have to search for any plastic (just correct tee pads) so that is always a plus..

Can You Help Me Out Here?

1    6/2/2016   6/7/2016
Pros: Course is set next to Pine Nursery Park. The actual terrain is a scattered pine forest with a little elevation and lots of sagebrush and dirt.
The amenities are first class. Great big course map at the beginning (too bad it's for a 9 hole course). Nice big concrete tee pads, tee signs with two placements at each hole complete with sponsors. Nice DGA baskets with the red numbers.

For the holes I played, I like # 17. # 8 playing from the rocks was rather cool, also.
Cons: I was basically lost before I ever actually found the course. I needed to play this little 9 hole course and get on the road. Not being from Central Oregon, I don't have a clue which way is west so couldn't really follow the directions to the course. I drove to the far end of the parking lot and wandered around. SUGGESTION: Change course directions to this. Enter park and park in the corner of the first lot on the right.

Then I attempted to play the course. I didn't have anymore luck navigating the course then I did locating it. I did find the first tee (nice tee) and threw out to that yonder basket which I incorrectly assumed to be # 1. It's not, nor could I ever determine where # 1 basket actually is hiding. I then played (I think) 2-9, then ran into a sign that said # 14, AND I thought I was playing a 9 hole course. How about updating your DGCR information page to show that this is now a 18 hole course?

There was no way of determining which placement the basket was currently set in.
Other Thoughts: Very decent terrain for a course. Lousy directions on where to park. DGCR sheets need to be updated with clearer directions on where to park and the fact that this is now an 18 hole course. Awesome course sign is now obsolete. Navigation issues need to be addressed. This course has a ton of potential. It just needs to be unleashed!

As things stand now, I had a much more enjoyable round playing Hyser Pines in Sisters. This should be the more enjoyable course of the two.

1    2/8/2016   2/8/2016
Review By: troymarkedit
Pros: now has 18 holes, map link below.
enjoy the new holes without getting lost
Cons: lack of trash cans, disrespectful disc players are starting to litter

New Layout is Confusing - May Get Better

1    8/27/2015   8/29/2015
Review By: Bwatkins
Pros: Very long tee pads
A few unique pins (top of mound/guarded/etc)
Benches on most of the "Concrete 9" holes
Nice use of rocks & branches to mark fairway & OB
Cons: I couldn't find the first tee for 20 minutes on my visit out
Couldn't find the #9 tee at all
There were rubber pads to make the course 18 holes but I couldn't figure out the layout at all & the holes Aren't numbered correctly
Shots start to feel mundane (oh another shot into small shrubs & dirt, exciting)
Other Thoughts: The frustration of the layout here just killed my day. It was still a decent course & I had fun but there's nothing to bring me back here again.

Overall just a pretty standard course with nothing too exceptional or worth bragging about.

Nice course

2-4    6/24/2015   6/25/2015
Review By: dgyp
Pros: Nicely laid out with good challenge and some creativity. EASY to find discs in the sage. Great scenic park, almost private course on a Wednesday afternoon. Lots of work is reflected in quality of tees, paths, holes and benches.
Cons: Not a lot of tree cover and it was 90 when I played. There were only 9 holes setup, not the 2-baskets-per-tee the website says. There was an oddball "second" hole 2 setup near 7 which confused me and 2 or 3 random baskets in unmarked positions. Minor complaints and I'm sure the locals "get it".

1    11/27/2014   11/27/2014
Review By: ballardthedome
Pros: Great tee pads. Long enough for this 6'4" player to start from the back of the tee instead of off the tee.
Two baskets in place for each hole.
Very good use of the limited terrain and obstacles available.
Good signage with placements and distance for each basket.
Good overall flow to the course. Took a picture of the map at the start, but then never needed to refer to it to find the next tee.
Benches at almost every tee.
Love the high desert terrain.
Hole 9 tee within the rocks was very unique.
Cons: Very limited elevation change.
Pretty scarce trees and overall obstacles.
When the wind is blowing, it's really blowing!
Other Thoughts: This was the 51st course I've played in my year and a half of disc golfing.
Best 9 hole course I've ever played.
The two baskets on each hole means you can play through twice and actually play 18 "different" holes.

Great Terrain

1    3/31/2014   4/1/2014
Review By: powderdrop
Pros: Concrete Tee Pads, Descriptive Hole Signage, Easy to find Discs, Dry, Lots of Fun Terrain
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: Take a picture of the course map that is posted at the front of the course with you or download and print it at home.