Clarksville, OH
Gulley Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #9 (Taken 5/2009)

Share URL:

5+    3/22/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: AceWraith
Pros: good course flow
good layout
decent faiways on every hole
good mix up of shots
400'0+ holes
tee signs
ace runs
smooth terrain
Cons: dirt tee pads
the rough is rough
16&17 get swampy (if its been rainy alot wear boots)
Other Thoughts: played this course alot and never got tired of it, great course to work on your rip and some finess shots. the only real thing i would change is put in some solid tee pads. if your in the area this is a great course to play a few rounds. also has a huge soccer field right next to the parking lot so you really stretch out your arm. also has baseball fields and a jungle gym for the kids.

Pleasant surprise

1    11/17/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - Mostly isolated.
- Great mix of long holes, open holes, wooded holes, and elevation changes.
- Elevated basket on a hole.
- Decent amount of ace runs.
Cons: - Scary drive through the "mountains" of south/central Ohio.
- No "signature" hole to speak of.
Other Thoughts: I got to play this course on the way to Columbus for a weekend. It was quite a bit off the interstate but I like courses out in the middle of nowhere. There is a lot of room on this course for expansion and plenty of chances to change the layout and add extra holes.

Country drive tight and open play

1    10/11/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: LightsOut
Pros: Today was my first time to play this course and I'll add it to my rotation of playable area courses! The fall day was sunny, dry and had winds gusting to 15 MPH at least when I started. Holes 2, 3, & 4 go west and they open into the prevailing WSW wind for this part of the country. It didn't look good for me today (starting bogey, bogey, bogey). Once I got over it and into the woods on the front nine things improved once I was protected from too much breeze.
More than half of the tee drives on the course require going through either tree line openings or through tunnels. A couple you can go over and a few suggested to me that I should be using controlled approach disc play off the tee. The effect of which is elation once you get a chance to let a couple discs fly when the opportunity for open play arrives.
The elevation changes are effective through the woods and out in the open. I liked open #12, as you check it out as you play up to it. There is a blind tee uphill drive 220 ft to an elevated basket (check out the photo). Hole 13 is a controlled window shot par 5 challenge over a ravine. The last 5 holes give you a chance to rip both drivers in the open, over, and around trees and controlled approach discs in the woods.
The wind was still gusting but after #4 the rest of the course was fairly well protected from the WSW winds on this day.
Course navigation was fairly straightforward. There is a course layout sign and an instructional sign off the lot on the way to the first tee. There are nice tee area signs for each hole with par and distance listed. The front begins and ends at the parking area and #10 begins there also. Basket #18 is a short distance from the lot. The park is in good shape and maintained well from what I can see from this visit. The tight front nine helps makes this a quick play course.
Cons: Other reviews have mentioned that the tees are either dirt or carpeted which could be problematic in wet weather. Other than the one disc course sign there isn't an office or general store at this Warren County Park that I noticed for scorecards, discs, or munchies. There is a Port-o-let onsite, but no running water that I saw.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a great time playing Gulley Park as I finished strong today. The parking was ample and neat as was the picnic awning with tables and grills. There are soccer fields to the east of the course/picnic awning and I didn't go any further into the park to check out what else might be available.

I found and drove to Gulley Park using the DGCR website no problem. It's about a winding mile south, off of OH 350 between Ft Ancient and Clarksville. The next closest courses would be in Lebanon, Mason, Springboro, and Monroe. Not a spectacular course but offers play worth looking into if you want a light traffic course and a nice out of the way country drive.

Gulley Park

2-4    10/8/2011   10/9/2011
Review By: Foofoohead
Pros: Great flow, well designed course.
Great mix of trees and open fairways.
Great use of varying lengths.
Both technical and wide open.
Great use of the terrain and elevation changes.
Good use of directional signs.
Nice park setting with plenty of parking.
No very crowded the time I was there.
Cons: The only con would be the tees, they need some work. If they were concrete I would have rated this course .5 higher!
Other Thoughts: Very impressed with the layout of this course. Excellent design and use of the terrain. Enjoyed playing a course with more than just par 3's. This course had par 3's, 4's, and 5's. Warning this park is out in the middle of nowhere which may be why it is not so busy.

5+    10/17/2010   3/14/2011
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Great mix of holes, good mix on distance, excellent flow, good use of what little elevation is available, well designed course.
Cons: Natural Tee Pads, that's the only thing I can say negative about the course.
Other Thoughts: Worth stoping and playing if you're out that way

Gulley Park

2-4    8/28/2010   1/19/2011
Review By: vetonoshake
Pros: Beautiful course in a beautiful park. I've been four times so far, and it has never been crowded at all. Good variety of long/short, left/right, open/wood shots. I like going to this course because I know I can get a round in quickly (played two rounds 3 of the 4 times), and it is a quiet and peaceful park. Port o John's are nice to have around (just in case).
Cons: Can lose discs with errant throws in the woods, over fenced areas, or in tall grass.
Other Thoughts: Most holes are on the short side, but all in all this park offers a nice variety of shots.

Wet Round

1    12/30/2010   12/31/2010
Review By: hooked312
Pros: - A fun little layout that uses the space well.
- Good use of the creeks running through the course.
- Signage at holes was great, but lacking in directions from basket to the next tee.
- No one was out there and the course was very clean and well maintained.
- Even though the course had distance it was a pretty quick round.
Cons: - The carpet tee pads were pretty nasty after the snow had melted and the mud forced me to tee off from the grass.
- A few times I had to jump over flooded fairways or little creeks in order to get to the basket.
- After some of the holes it took some searching for the next tee pad due to lack of signage, yet some holes had nice signs pointing you in the right direction.
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice course in the greater Cincy area if you want to get away from crowds and the tougher courses. The signs on the tee pads were great, but the tee pads themselves were pretty rough.
I would recommend playing this course on a dry day due to the lack of tee pads and the amount of muddy terrain on the course.

Multiround Goodness

5+    8/9/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: LStephens
Pros: One of the best designed courses given the land available that I've seen. Some may say the tunnel shots are repetitive but I disagree. I find the course refreshing in the sense that it is different from the other courses I play and it forces me to slow down, hit my lines and not try to force shots. I think Hole #1 is a great starting hole that is tight and a great Ace opportunity straight from the car...while #2 is a tough follow up hole. Then the dance starts of deuce or die holes with #5 thrown in just to humble you. I feel the over the top shots of #13 and #15 force me to throw shots that I rarely throw anywhere else and can only elevate my game as a traveling tournament player.

The course plays extremely fast eventhough there is some distance here. The safety factor of next tee from basket is great. The elevation changes play nicely on the holes but your legs never feel it. You can play multiple rounds here without getting beat down. The course is always clean and rarely is it ever crowded. The baskets are in great shape and will hold an Ace.
Cons: I really wish this course would install some concrete tee pads. I'm just not a fan of dirt tees. If it has been raining all week this course will be very wet. Hole #1 will have a nice mini-pond before the basket. #16 and #17 can flood as well. The wooded holes have a lot of poison ivy as well...but that is being taken care of little by little and is no where near as bad as it was a few years ago.

From time to time #2 thru #5 can have super high weeds. Sometimes the parks will cut out 30' wide fairways and sometimes they will cut the entire field...you never know until you play. #7 & #8 can have high weeds and briars as well. When #15 isn't cut very well the up and over shot can have you looking for a while for your disc since you are throwing blind over the top right.
Other Thoughts: Gulley Park is an hour from my house. I rarely get to drive up and play but when I do I really enjoy myself. I always play atleast 5 rounds when I go. The rounds go quickly and I rarely feel tired afterwards and I'm 41 years old. If this park was close to my house I would most likely choose it to be my daily park before work. Three years ago this was my first exposure to elevated baskets(#12).

Suprised by how good it was

1    7/31/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Great use of the Land they had available to them
Very High Fun Factor
Visually great course
Clean, Maintained, Mowed
Nice flow not to hard to Navigate
It's beaten in pretty well, even if you throw you disk into the brush it's not hard to find.
Some great tunnel shots
Great for beginners and advanced players
Cons: Can be repetitious
There are some big holes here but for reasons I can't explain it just felt small

Other Thoughts: This course didn't look too exciting when I first pulled up, but I turned out to be very pleasantly surprised. The main thing that kept popping into my head as I was playing was how great of a design job this course has. The fun factor is Huge! A quick look around and you could see that the land they had to work with was not that good but they really made the best possible use of what they had. I think this is the best course I've ever seen in terms of squeezing all that you can out what you have to work with. Props to whoever designed this course. I loved the tunnel shots.

There is a good mix of shots here but there are also a lot of similar holes. It feels like you play the same hole several times.at one point you zig zag across a field and there are 2 or 3 identical holes. Also the tunnel shots are the bread and butter of this course but they may have gone to the well a few too many times

It seems hidden and out of the way but it's right off the highway. I would recommend it for both newbys and longtimeers and for locals and road trippers

1    5/14/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Lots of fun to be had here! Good for pros to work on their details, good for beginners to work on improving.
No holes are TOO tough. Some turns, some rolling hills, but no major elevation. There are some gaps you have to hit, but they are fair, and not many tunnel shots.
Well laid out.
Easy to navigate, and great tee signs.
No one here to get in the way(the two times I've played anyway). We played a group of 8 and had a blast.
Park and course seem well-maintained.
Cons: Muddy if there's rain.
Not much elevation change. I'm from the foothills of the Smokies, so I'm used to wooded courses with lots of up and down. This course is pretty flat(but fun).
Poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: Lots of fun here, definitely worth hitting if you live in the area. There are better courses around Cinci, but for a nice change of pace, or to better your game, or to just try something new, this course will satisfy that need to hit chains and feel good about it.