Portland, OR
Portland Lunchtime DGC Share
Uploaded By: beleet Hole #9 (Taken 5/2015)
Hole #9 B Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Peaceful, neighborhood course on a summit

1    9/1/2019   9/5/2019
Review By: DumfriesLizzie
Pros: It's wonderful that this church allows the public to play this course. They maintain the property very well. The course is mostly open, so if your drive is not the best, it's largely okay. Downhiller no. 1 with its kiss-of-death putting is a good opener. Followed by the hyzer uphiller no. 2 in the same field. Hole 7 is a crestline makeable par for beginners (5 is too) with its putting circle ringed with rocks or logs (I forget which now). Hole 8 starts out in the upper field and descends slightly into the woods. No. 11 is a nice tunnel for midrange throwing. No, 13 is super long and should be a par 4, but as-is, it's a great opportunity to start airing out drives and approaches again. I threw a perfect Anhyzer approach (junky, short but safe drive into the foot trail) to the basket of 14. It and 15 have interesting crescent-shaped and sloping fairways.
Cons: Holes across pavement are less fun (holes 3, 4, 5, 6) but one can probably make up strokes lost on the uphill narrow no. 3. Holes 9 and 10 are worthless junk IMHO. No. 12 also is nothing to write home about. If those 3 holes went away, the course would be down to 12 holes, which is not a bad thing. Perhaps neighboring holes 8 and 11 could be expanded or lengthened.
Other Thoughts: In addition to respecting the church, players also need to be mindful of the residents right on the edge of the course in single-family houses and apartments. Everyone is using this course as something of a park. I encountered two folks walking their dogs. We all are being allowed to play on private property, and I think that is a blessing.

not my favorite, but still pretty fun. wonky cement ob holes

1    7/5/2019   7/24/2019
Review By: Peltier
Pros: Nice Innova DISCatcher baskets and concrete tee boxes. One pin and tee placement on just about every hole.
Cons: You pretty much play in and around a Church and it's parking lot/driveway. Because of this the course is closed Sunday morning and it also said a couple hours on Saturday, but I forget exactly when. Just a few holes with cement OB. Also a couple OB 'island' holes which are all in all just cheesy; not getting it on the cement becomes a matter of true luck.
Other Thoughts: Certainly on the short end and most holes are open.

5+    8/21/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: Nate32
This review was updated on 11/23/2017
Pros: This is a medium length par 3 disc golf course. Lunchtime is a great course for beginners and pros. This course has challenging holes and easy holes.
Pros: This has a variety of shade holes and open holes. This course stays nice and dry in the winter. They have recently updated the baskets which are very nice. This course is not crowded like some other courses are. On hole 10 there is a road on the right but you don't need to worry because they hung a net to keep discs from flying towards the road.
Cons: Cons: This course gets once a month maintenance.
Some of the holes get maintenance some of them don't.
The tee pads are very small but they are concrete.
Make sure to park your car on hole 1 behind the tee pad.
Number 1,4,5,6,14,15 are parking lot holes.
I found number 5 really weird because when I played it for the first
time you had to throw over a dumpster.
Other Thoughts: There are now a lot of new pin placements The pictures are old too.

If your near...

1    8/1/2016   8/21/2016
Review By: karmalord
Pros: Pretty wide open - not a lot of chances to lose one
Fairly close to freeway
Cons: Going around a huge parking lot and drive way,so of course the lot will come into play quite a bit.
Really nothing noteworthy in the design.
No map to next tee so it gets real confusing.
Other Thoughts: Only play here if your already in this neck of the woods,otherwise there are better choices.

1    8/13/2016   8/16/2016
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course makes really good use of the land it has to work with. Most of the drives here are pretty fun. Hole 1 starts with a downhill drive to a basket behind a mound. Hole 3 has a challenging uphill shot straight ahead with the fairway sloping to the left toward the road, so you need a big forehand or probably need to lay up to avoid fading OB.

The middle portion of the course goes through the woods, and these holes are well designed with a couple of routes on many of the drives.

The tee pads are concrete, and there are two pads on most holes. From what I understand, most holes have multiple basket positions as well.

Baskets are good.
Cons: Several of the holes have throws over parking lots. The lot is for a church, so most days this may not be an issue. On the Saturday evening I was playing, there were a lot of cars. We opted not to play the long tee for hole 6 to avoid the chance of nailing cars. I suspect other people are not as considerate.

A couple holes are missing (4 and 5, I think), apparently having been removed. The last hole has the B tee blocked off with boards strung up between trees with chains to make sure no one throws from there (again, over a lot). I feel like these few holes could have been done without. Feels like they're tempting fate.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't travel out of your way, but I'd love to have this as my neighborhood course. This easily could have been a series of boring, open shots. A few are long bombers, but shot placement is rewarded here. I'd come back.

Pretty good

1    4/25/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: Joshwest
Pros: - Very nice place, there really isn't anything negative to say about the location.
- Loved the island holes #5, 7. Haven't got to play on many of those, so I enjoyed getting to here (Even though, they aren't too difficult).
- A lot of mixture on types of holes. There is a lot of possible birdies, but there are a few that will eat your lunch.
- The tee signs were good that I noticed. I was playing with locals, who would point out the baskets to me, so I only used the signs for a distance. I don't know who accurate their locations were.
- I never had a issue with the tee boxes, but I would start my walk-up off the back of them.
Cons: - I had the locals to navigate with, so I don't know if the map is accurate or not. If you don't have the map or locals, I could see the course being really hard to navigate.
- #4's teebox is weird. It is in the middle of the parking lot, spray painted on the ground. I never would have noticed it, if not for the locals I was with.
- One of the tee boxes is right next to a house with some massive pit bulls. They never bothered us, but the locals said, if they don't know you, they will bark. I don't know if they would ever come at someone, but could see someone being very uncomfortable if they started barking.
If you're staying near the airport, avoid going near rush hour. It took me so long to get back to my hotel afterwards. I should've known better, but it would've been nice to have had a warning before I went.
Other Thoughts: - If I lived in the area, I would be fine playing this course constantly. However, next time I travel to Portland, it probably won't make the list.
- There is a ton of OB (at least according to the locals), and I'm not sure the tee signs had all of it. There were drop zones for the two Island holes, I don't know if they were on the tee signs, but they are just off to the right on each hole. Hopefully, they are on the tee sign.

Not Bad If your in the area

1    4/5/2016   4/5/2016
Review By: Oregon32
Pros: It's an easy course if your new or just want to keep your arm warmed up. good tee's and baskets
Cons: Lots of throwing over pavement and confusing to find the holes if your not familiar with it. Watch for Cars and other players

5+    2/6/2016   9/10/2015
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 12/25/2018
Pros: -Nice 15 hole course, with a good variety of holes close to the city on church grounds. It's nice they put a course in here. The property is nice and undulating. There's a good mix of open and wooded holes.
-Multiple tee pads on most holes.
-One of my favorite holes is #8, a long anhyzer or forehand drive through the field, then a technical downhill approach through the woods. I also like #11. Depending on the basket location, it's a spike hyzer shot or a dead-straight shot through the woods.
-Parking is very ample. I estimate ~ 400 spots.
-Stays pretty dry during the winter months, since it's on the top of a hill. But, this makes it windy.
Cons: -Many holes are over or near large expanses of concrete. #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 14, and 15 all present a chance to throw it into the parking lot (OB) while #s 9, 10, and 11 have the possibility of throwing into the road (also OB)
-The course could be better if some of the Home Depot-size parking lot were removed. The lot isn't even full on Church Sundays.
Other Thoughts: -Overall it's a decent course, nothing special, but fine. I play it frequently and enjoy it.
-It's difficult to find. You have to to watch for the Bible Church sign on Vermont Ave and drive through an apartment complex and around the left side of the church, past #3, #4, #14, and #15 before getting to the 1st hole on the right side of the church.

Aptly named - good for a quick game

5+    6/11/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: pdx-disc
Pros:
* Decent tees (some concrete, some rubber), DISCatcher baskets, some signage. Some alternate tees.

* Ample free parking, free to play, friendly locals.

* Nice variety of longer drives and short technical shots.

* Some very challenging holes even on a short course. These will keep you guessing and recalculating your shots. This really adds to the rating for me, as a lot of short community courses lack challenging shots. I have seen very, very good players seriously challenged at this course.

Cons:
* A map is definitely needed for this course - layout can be confusing for getting from one hole to the next.

* Going from #6 to #7 requires crossing the fairway of #13 - be careful!

* Asphalt hazards - #3, 4, 5, and 6 all require throwing over asphalt, and #1, 14, and 15 have asphalt hazards to the right hand side. Bring old discs you don't care about.

* No restrooms or water available, few benches.

* Alternate tees can be hard to find.

* Entrance can be hard to find, which is from the north through an apartment complex. Then you drive all the way around the church and park on the west side of it.

* Closed most of Sunday due to church services, and too many cars parked on the asphalt holes.

* Some people say it can get crowded, but I've never had an issue myself.
* Good course for: locals wanting to fit in a quick round, and players looking for something a little different

* Bad course for: people with brand new discs, and people who haven't played some of the other courses in the area (Pier Park, Milo McIver, etc.)

* King for a day: I'd rework this course as 9-hole course with clearly marked, concrete alternate tees that are significantly different from the main tees. I'd remove #4 and #5 entirely and rework the layout so you don't have to walk across the fairway of #13.

1    3/2/2015   3/3/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: Well kept fairways. DISCatcher baskets. Concrete tees. Variety of wooded and open holes. Some elevation changes.
Cons: A few holes had lots of brambles. Way too much OB.
Other Thoughts: It's just kind of another disc golf course. Nothing really outstanding or horrible.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5