Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park - Gold Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 12/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Renny Gold

1    5/17/2023   5/17/2023
Review By: LLmanu10
Pros: Renaissance Park - Gold has been #1 on my wish list for quite some time now, and today I got to play it for the first time. Does the course stand up to my extremely high expectations and prove to be the best course in Charlotte? Lets see:
-One word to describe this course: TOUGH. Others may think this a total downside, but for me, this is a good thing. Charlotte is home to many great courses, however, most of them are considered by most to be "easy." It's good to have a course that will kick your butt and humble you every once in a while.
-The course has an excellent flow/variety. The course begins with some standard QC wooded holes and slowly opens up to some wide open layouts. The course finishes with holes that I consider to be both open and technical. In shorter words, Renny Gold has a little bit of everything sprinkled in.
-Some great elevation changes make this course even more enjoyable. Who knew that throwing a hyzer backhand down the hill on #8 was so majestic?
-The course is built on land that has some very beautiful terrain/landscape. If my mom was obsessed about disc golf like she is with nachos (lol), we'd be leaving the park with a full camera roll.
-Risk/reward galore at this course. Errant throws will cost you big time, but a nicely placed tee shot in the middle of the fairway will give you a sense of satisfaction, like how you've just defeated one of the million different challenges.
-Most, if not all the holes here would be considered a signature hole for any other course. #2, 10, 14, & 18 could possibly be the best 4 holes I have ever played, and to think that they are all at the same course is delusional.
-I am so thankful that the big ravine is incorporated into this course. That being said, it could've be hard to maintain the erosion, but the course designers and maintainers did an excellent job to prevent this. Very strong barriers are placed alongside #2 & 18's respective greens, and a strong, wooden bridge was built to perfection that goes down, across, and back up the ravine.
-Renaissance Park also had two other courses, named "Pro Players" and "RenSke." If you realize that Renny Gold isn't right for you, there are two other options that seem great as well. Pro Players is just the short tees/baskets for Renny Gold with a few exceptions, and Renske seems to be a fun little par 3 course that has its own layout.
-After reading reviews prior to my round, I came in knowing that navigation may be a little tricky, considering that there are the other two courses overlapping. However, I was pleasantly surprised on how easy navigation ended up being. There definitely are a few hiccups (listed in cons), but for the most part, everything was pretty straightforward. The excellent tee signs and labeled baskets definitely helped a lot, as well as gold signs pointing to the next tee.
-A couple of minor things to wrap this section up: pin locations are very neat and clever, and made the "easy" holes a little more challenging. OB is listed very clearly and seemed fair. Benches are present on, I think, all tees, which is nice considering the amount of effort it takes to play this course.
Cons: -Because of the difficulty level this course offers, your round can (and will most likely) be very frustrating. I can see people going for putts on #2 and missing it into the ravine, same for #6. However, try to make it fun, and not let the frustration take over.
-Again, the overlapping of the three courses is probably the most noticeable con. It doesn't seem too bad with Pro Players, but this is definitely an issue with RenSke around holes #11-13. On a busy day, I can see this being very annoying, waiting around not knowing who is going to throw first.
-Rough is incredibly thick. Even though this course is demanding distance, accuracy is more important. A disc thrown into the rough will be hard to find. Luckily, I found my disc every time, but maybe not the case for others.
-Although I credited the navigation earlier, there were a couple of times where I stood clueless and needed a map. I couldn't find the tee for #1 immediately, so we ended up playing Pro Players #1 before we found it. The path from #10's basket to #11's tee was split into three directions with no sign. The next tee sign at #13's basket was wrong, telling us to walk left instead of straight. It took us a minute to find out where we actually needed to go.
-Tee pads are the worst I've ever seen. How does a course of this caliber have such poor pads? They are short and have a very rocky texture, which caused me to slip multiple times. #5's tee pad is buried by mud, making it hard to find. The tees over at RenSke seem better than this course, making me wonder if they will re-do them soon (hopefully).
-Course maintenance is pretty poor as well. The open fields on #1 & 2 has very overgrown grass, and there was a lot of litter scattered about the course, especially the front nine (Grass on #11-13 was good, most likely because of high foot traffic around the RenSke course).
-The only stretch of holes that wasn't good was #11-13. #11 & 13 are both par 5's and #12 is a long par 4. All three holes are wide open with some scattered trees, so it made throwing some bombs less enjoyable because of the repetitiveness. Also, the RenSke course overlapping with this area makes it even less fun.
Other Thoughts: So, did Renny Gold live up to my expectations? Absolutely. Although this course totally beat me up, I still had a blast playing with @michaeldean. The park itself seems nice with lots of amenities, including volleyball, tennis, skateboarding, and ball fields. For anyone in the Charlotte area, this is a must play. The RenSke layout seems fun and worth playing one day, too.
-Now that I have played the "big 3" courses, I think that Renny Gold is the best, closely followed by Nevin. I think Hornets Nest is a level below these, unfortunately.
-I really think this course had the potential to be a 5.0. Even though it isn't perfect, its pretty darn close. A high 4.5 rated course will forever be one of my favorites!

Very good course

1    5/17/2023   5/17/2023
Review By: michaeldean
Pros: - Excellent course with good holes, pin locations, elevation changes, out of bounds, and distance variations.

- There are 3 different course options and I played the gold tees (long) and had an enjoyable time. The other 2 courses look like great par 3’s to play.

- A very easy course to enjoy while still having a challenge.

- Hole 8 is one of my top 3 favorite holes with a throw downhill and a deep rough behind it.
Cons: - Many opportunities to lose a disc, like a big ravine and, a deep, muddy, rough on majority of the holes.

- Tee pads where not good and where short and in some occasions slippery.

- Navigation at times could be hard to read/understand because there is 3 courses.
Other Thoughts: I slipped down the ravine and it hurt but was pretty funny.

Renaissance Park Golds

1    12/22/2018   4/26/2023
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Prestigious course
Amazing elevation
VERY challenging
Cons: Definitely not a course for beginners
Potential for other park visitors in fairways
Other Thoughts: This course is a beast! At least the Gold layout is! My Brother and I were in the area and decided to give Renaissance Park a try. I had heard so much about it and heard if I was ever in the area to make sure to play Renaissance Gold. While this is a VERY true tip, don't expect to set your personal best on this course. We were very humbled by long distances, tight fairways, and huge elevation changes. This is a very beautiful course and quite fun to play, but I found out quickly that I had no business playing the gold layout as my game is severely lacking the skills to perform well there. Now don't get me wrong, I had an absolute blast playing this course and would love to get a chance to play it again sometime in the future, however I will not be expecting to shoot well in the least. There is a reason this course was home of a previous World Championship. Don't believe me? Go play it and find out for yourself. I definitely want to get back to this course and try out some of the shorter layouts also. As I have always played... make sure you make it out to this course if you are anywhere near the area! If you want to see this course on video check out the video below that my Brother and I filmed when we visited. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZoOfdIbGc

A Backtracker's Paradise

1    9/11/2022   9/12/2022
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: This review is that of a traveling player playing this course for the first time. This course has some great hole designs with plenty of elevation change, precarious pin placements, natural OB and a beautiful setting.

Hole 1 starts uphill through mature trees in an open setting and is a low celing hole. Hole 2 is a par four with a tight fairway on the first shot and a throw over a deep ravine to a basket on a fair-sized ledge on the other side. Holes 3-8 or 9 (to be discussed below), are in a heavily wooded area with a creek running though it and lots of elevation change. I thought the holes here were pretty amazing. All of them were fun and the front nine is the highlight of the course before it goes into a more open area in and out of a power line right of way.

There is a good balance of shots required by the course including heavily wooded fairways that require an early turn and beg for a RHBH hyzer flip or a RHFH flex. There are uphill and downhill throws with both moderate and more significant elevation change. Several baskets are on rock outcrops near dropoffs and several baskets are on ledges on steep hillsides.

The heavily wooded holes have a very good distance to fairway width relationship that made all of the holes seem eminently fair though incredibly challenging.

About 1/2 the course is heavily shaded which will be nice on hotter summer days.

There has been a lot of work done on this course like the bridges and steps found in different areas and, if that kind of effort could be put into making the course easier to navigate for people not familar with it, it would get a higher rating from me.
Cons: This was the most frustrating course to navigate that I have ever played. To whomever is in charge of the use of tee signs and navigational aids, you failed miserably from a navigational standpoint. Like Hornets Nest, this course has apparently had its navigation re-thought or re-designed without letting all of the tee signs know about it. Hole 1 Gold sends you to what is apparently hole 1 "gray" if you want to play the shorts. However - Surprise! - that might actually be hole 2 gray! This nonsense then propagates throughout the rest of the course until there is a 2 number difference between the two tee lengths - apparently so that it can be called two different courses - maybe.

The above nonsense then leads to the 9 and 11 basket, having the "11" facing you while you are looking for 9 (not realizing how you've just been fooled) only, after walking around looking for 9, to approach the basket from the direction that the 9 faces to realize that you've just wasted even more time (and believe me, by the time you get to this hole, you've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out where to throw from and to).

Hole 7 and 9 gray use the same fairway and tee box but just have alternate basket locations. You play, backtrack to 8, then backtrack to 9 to play a hole that you have pretty much already played, or some such nonsense.

You cross over hole 8 gold's tee box (clearly marked as such) on your way to 7. However, that isn't really 8 gold's basket - Psyche!. So when you finish 7, you know where to go, because you've already been there, right? Nope. The navigational issues are so bad in several places that my group almost quit. It took us over three hours to play a round that we would typically finish in 2-1/2 at most.

Holes 3 - 9 are crammed into an amazing piece of property with lots of elevation change and a creek running through it but are also holes that aqre basically piled on top of each other requiring the crossing of fairways, walking up fairways and crossing other tee pads to get to the next hole.

I guess if you are a local, you probably don't even look at the tee signs or next hole signs because you know your way around the course, but the confusion caused by the inconsistent signs rises to a level that is nearly comical on some holes. 7 and 9 gray are really just one hole with alternate baskets apparently.

And, lastly, I have to agree with another reviewer that the 18 Gold basket location is just silly.
Other Thoughts: This course looks like it has three sets of tee signs and navigational aids that were put in at three different times by people who had different ideas about how the course was supposed to be played.

I don't think that I have ever been as frustrated with the navigation on a course as I was with this one. If you are traveling, I'd recommend playing with a local. The signs on this course are almost guaranteed to make you misplay it in a couple of areas unless you just ignore them.

I suppose that some people likely think that UDisc is the answer to all of this, but then why have signs at all? Updating the course signs and elimination of the shared fairway and teebox for 7/9 on the gray course are what it would take for me to rate this course higher.

Not Sure What to Say Except…It’s Good

1    5/11/2022   7/14/2022
Review By: Shadrach3
Pros: An iconic course that mostly delivers with a range of holes.

-Amenities: Same as Renske. Yellow-banded DISCatchers, small concrete tees, thorough tee signs with good maps. Generally next tee signs, benches. Occasionally distance to pin markers. Baskets are labeled to help avoid overlap confusion with Renske or the Grey course.

-Variety: A good mix of open and woods holes. The first couple are open, followed by five thickly wooded holes. Then, it's more of a hodgepodge of holes that are partially open, partially wooded.

-Elevation: Other than the (11)-(13) section, Renny uses near-constant elevation change. There are some big downhills and uphills, a gorge coming into play on several holes, and the very steep uphill (5), which probably makes my Top 5 of steepest holes I've played.

-Length: A decently long course with plenty of multi-shot holes. There are still plenty of par-3s as well.

-Challenge: Lots of difficult holes requiring a combination of full committal and good shot shaping choices.

-Shot Shaping/Gameplay: An ever-engaging circuit using all the pros listed above. Par-4s are most dominant, typically requiring a clean fairway hit on the drive to provide a birdie. Some holes are slightly forgiving, but on many the elevation is so severe that a miss will give you a dire scrambling situation. It's hard to peg one type as the dominant hole, but by and large there are reasonably wide and well defined fairways, or a mostly open hole shape with more options (but still specific shot placement important).

-Memorable Holes: I think Renny Gold is elevated by its memorable holes. (2) and (18) require crossing the gorge to precarious basket positions, an iconic thrill. (4) is a huge downhill with a steep right side dropoff. (8) and (15) are mirror images, big grassy downhills with pocket greens. Holes (7), (10), (14), and (16) were also particularly good.

-Two Loops: In the case of Renny Gold, it's a 7-11 split, rather than the traditional 9-9. Still, a good opportunity to get to the car.
Cons:
-PPC Overlap: The Grey/Pro Players course uses a lot of the same holes as the Gold course, but with different baskets, tee pads, and/or numbers. This creates a bit of a confusing flow.

-Renske Overlap: Renske runs through holes (11)-(13) of the Gold course, which is pretty maddening. Who has right of way? I had to wait on all three of these Gold holes for Renske players, sometimes playing multiple holes while I stood in the fairway.

-Navigation: The transitions (4)-(5), (10)-(11), and (13)-(14) are long or confusing.

-Slump: Holes (11)-(13), beyond the Renske issue, are just flat and long. Hole (11) felt a little bit like one of Scott Stokely's 50,000' disc golf "holes".

-Disc Loss: The super steep hills and gulch can lead to disc loss, no doubt. This one will be best played with a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I'm not sure what I was expecting from Renny Gold, but it exceeded it. The (2)-(7) range, plus consistently very good holes thrown throughout the rest, convinced me that this is better than a typical Excellent course. It's a hard, long course that provides a great opposite to the Renske course also onsite, but it was very worth a play to me. Overall, it deserves a Phenomenal label.

-Similar Courses: There aren't a lot of comparable courses. Vaguely similar maybe are Stoney Hill (Newberry, SC) or East Metro Park (Manor, TX).

An Amazing Course with a Great Challenge

1    8/20/2021   8/24/2021
Review By: Dan13LP
Pros: -This course will make you throw just about every type of shot in your bag in order to score well.
-A good mix of tight technical lines, wide open throws, short technical shots and just about everything in between. The variety on this course was really fun, forcing you to shape shots and play position golf to score well.
-Baskets are in great shape, tee pads are solid, and the signage is superb. As a first time player at this course, playing it solo, using the maps on each of the signs made it really easy to find where the baskets were located on blind shots.
-There are some really unique basket placements here, in rocks, around corners, tucked away in the trees, that add to the aesthetic of this course.
-The longer, more technical holes are really well designed and thought out. When you approach these holes, you have to think about, what's the best place to land for the second shot (ie. position golf), so that I can set myself to get the par or birdie.
-There's a pretty good mix of elevation found at this course as well with some uphill and downhill shots both in the woods and out in the open.
-Navigation on the majority of this course was easy to follow, with arrows pointing to the next tee pad near the majority of the baskets. This was true for all but the last 4 or 5 holes (mentioned in the cons as well).
-The course seemed to be very well maintained. On holes where there were open grass fields, the grass was mowed and manicured. On the the more wooded holes, the fairways were clear of debris and very manageable.
-The wooden bridges found in the wooded holes to help players navigate the creek that runs through some of the holes was a nice added touch.
Cons: -Although I found the navigation to be fairly straightforward and well marked on the majority of the course, there were a few sections that caused confusion. On the front side in the woods, there were a couple of tee pads that were tough to find despite the navigational arrows, I believe this was hole 5. On the back side, after hole 13 there were no longer arrows pointing to the next tee, but I did find some yellow ribbons tied to trees which seemed to help.
-The Gold Layout seemed to share a lot of the same fairways as the shorter white layout. On a busy day, I could see the overlaps causing backups and/or confusion.
-The Gold Layout also overlaps on some of the Red Layout's holes on the back side, which again could cause backups.
-There was one hole, between 14 and 15, where you have to cross the fairway of another hole in order to get to the tee pad. A slight safety concern, but not a huge deal if you're paying attention.
-The rough on some of the holes was pretty thick, near the basket on hole 10 comes to mind. The fairway is just a thin strip of mowed grass, and everything around it was SUPER thick bushes. Spent some time looking for my up-shot that was just outside the circle of the basket.
Other Thoughts: I felt compelled to write a review for this course because this is one of the top 5 courses I've played EVER! I like to give ratings based on purely the disc golf aspect (not scenery, how good of hike it was, amenities, etc...) and this is without a doubt a 5 Star course that will test even the best players. I personally thought the challenge at this course was amazing. It's a course that truly rewards good shots and punishes bad ones, simple as that. 18 is a bit of a gimmick hole, double mando through the electrical poles to an island green, but I found it fun and was a great way to finish an already amazing and tough course. The Pars were a bit generous in my opinion, but it definitely helped the scorecard look a bit cleaner, so no complaints there. Holes 13 and 14 stood out in my mind as being really fun, challenging holes. Got the birdie on 14! I would love to try the flick route on hole 16 next time I played. From the tee it seemed like a real low percentage shot, but once you get to the basket, you can see the line is there and would actually probably give you a better show at the 2 look than the backhand. I only wish I had courses like this one and Hornet's Nest in my hometown, I would play them as often as I could! Next time I'm in Charlotte, I will without a doubt be playing Renaissance Gold again

Not a Summer course.

1    8/28/2020   8/28/2020
Review By: Jonjey
Pros: The pros are that this has to be one of the hardest courses ever. Some unique holes, some people would say maybe "gimmicky" in places.
Cons: The litter on this course was horrific. I don't know if it's the local disc golfers or just local riff raff, but one teepad, I believe hole 4, literally just had a mountain of trash in front of it. The course itself was VERY overgrown and not maintained at all, knee-high grass on fairways, gaps become smaller which can at times give a feeling more akin to putt putt golf: "Hit the line through the spinning blades of the windmill." Hole 2 & hole 18 if you putt down into this little ravine behind the baskets (or come up short on the approach) you'll never get that disc back. I'm sure in the winter time someone goes through that wasteland and finds hundreds of discs. Any time you're even slightly off the fairway it's just "Hopefully this isn't my first run-in with Lyme's Disease!" or a copperhead or what have you.
Other Thoughts: Long story short: Play Hornet's Nest! It's nice, even in the summer time. Not an overgrown trash ridden swamp.

I love a hard, challenging course. But there's a difference between that and this filthy monster.

Ideal Course

5+    1/4/2020   1/9/2020
Review By: rustman1
Pros: The longs are fair and require accuracy, the shorts are well done and also require accuracy and placement. There's a healthy mix of open, technical, OB and elevation.
Cons: Summer can be hard to find discs on a few holes. Rainy conditions cause some serious standing water and slippery hill sides.

Front 9 is great, back 9 isn't

1    11/11/2019   11/12/2019
Review By: douglowe
Pros: The front 9. Great use of elevation and creatively designed. This was the type of course I was looking to play while in Charlotte.
Cons: The back 9. There are a few long (as in, around 1000 feet), boring, straight holes. In my opinion, these holes are the laziest way to add difficulty to a course. The holes in the back 9 are so long that the course spans into the adjacent park/course. With the seemingly well thought out front 9, I couldn't have been more disappointed in the back.

Now, the kicker. Hole 18. This may be the first time I've ever ended a round short due to disliking a hole. If I understand correctly, you have to drive to the end of the first half, throw over a fence and gulley, then walk around to the second half of the fairway to throw over a deeper gulley to an island green. Locals, is that right? Because from what I saw, that's what you had to do and it's ridiculous. I actually left the course upset and disappointed, primarily due to the last hole.
Other Thoughts: This course was so promising during the first half, then just let me down... hard. Maybe I should have just played the shorter layout, but I wanted the "full experience", since I was only in town for a day. If the back 9 focused more on skill and not just long bombs, it would greatly improve the course. Until then, I just can't recommend it.

Renaissance - Gold

5+    7/30/2019   8/30/2019
Review By: dndelli
This review was updated on 2/2/2022
Pros: When I first started playing disc golf, Renaissance was not only the hardest of the five "big" courses in Charlotte at the time, but one of the hardest in the world. It was a championship caliber course that had gained a reputation, even amongst the pros as being a great, difficult course. The only thing that has changed since back then is my ability to score "decent-ish" here, because to this day it is easily still the hardest course I have ever played.

The amount of work that went into designing and maintaining this course is incredible, and definitely apparent when you play it. Two decades after it was first built, this course still holds up. It is a beast, and a blast to play. The "less memorable/average" holes on this course would probably all be considered signature holes on almost any other course in the region. This largely comes down to the great use of the park's landscape to create dynamic holes with some interesting greens interspersed throughout the course. While I've heard some call a few of the greens gimmicky, I personally feel like its use of tricky greens isn't overused to the point where I would call them that, and adds a new element to the course which can punish those who try to play too safe. I appreciate the need to really think about my approach shots.

While challenging, this course is never unfair. It does however, reward accuracy above all else. So don't let the distances on the scorecard fool you, because those sub 400' Par 4s, earn every bit of that par. And be prepared to pull out pretty much every shot in your arsenal if you expect to shoot Par here. The start of the course is fairly technical, but slowly opens up to a few huge bomb holes right in the middle of the round. If you really want to maintain your strokes though, you definitely are going to want to consider your landings even on the long holes, so you have the right angle for your next shot.

A lot of work has been done here over the past few years to improve the layout. If the basket has a gold band (or even half of the basket has a gold band), then it is a basket for Renny Gold. When you reach Hole 11, you're gonna need to throw past a couple red baskets before you reach your target. So the color coordination here is really nice!

UPDATE: I was just out at Renaissance again (it had been about a month), and the amount of work that is going into this course is incredible! I noticed new erosion bars on several holes, but more importantly a new wooden staircase leads you down, across, and up the ravine on Hole 18. The ravine was also cut back around this area for the people who were building this amazing walkway, which is a most welcome bonus, but the walkway itself should really help cut down on erosion and prevent injuries in this area.
Cons: There used to be a short layout that was referred to as Renny - Grey, but that layout was removed/revamped so that two separate courses could be built into the two halves of Renny Gold. And while they are decent courses in their own right, they can cause a lot of confusion and delays for people playing Renny - Gold. If it's your first time and you aren't with someone who knows the course, you would do well to download a map of the layout to bring with you. I think it would be nice if there were painted bands around the tee sign posts to indicate which course the tee belongs to, and if it is a shared tee.

At times the rough on this course goes from being punishing, to downright abusive. If you tend to play with a risk/reward style, either plan on backing off some here or be okay with the possibility of losing a disc. I have a love/hate relationship with this aspect of the course. Obviously, I hate searching for and/or losing discs, and hate when other people lose discs, but every fairway hit feels super rewarding when you know how hard it is to scramble on this course. Errant shots on this course almost never go unpunished.

The length of this course, and its difficulty probably make it less appealing to a significant portion of the disc golf community. I remember this course chewing me up and spitting me out my first time out here.
Other Thoughts: Even though this course might lack the aesthetics of Hornets Nest or Nevin, it has its own charm. Simply put, I believe anyone who manages to not let their ego get the best of them out here, they will realize that Renny - Gold manages to create the perfect blend of a challenging with fun.

I am going to give this course a 4.5 rating, because of the truly inspired course design that manages to eek out the absolute full potential of the land being used. And I am very pleased that it appears work is being done around this course, to give it a much needed face lift. While navigation still might be an issue for first timers, I would feel wrong giving this course a lower rating. Hopefully, further improvements aid with navigation as well. This is a course I could realistically see myself giving a perfect rating if all of it's signage issues were addressed and it were tournament ready.

Favorite Holes: 2, 3, 10, 13, 14, & 18