Melbourne, FL
Wickham Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit   (Taken 9/2009)
Extra Hole 2 between holes 2 and 3

Fun after work round

1    4/16/2017   6/2/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.108 Rating) A well manicured course that's fun to play.
- FUN FACTOR - Wickham is the perfect place for the after work happy hour round. Spacious fairways, but still challenging enough to keep most skilled players pleased. There are not too many opportunities here to lose a disc. Plus I'll also mention that there's a club here that keeps the place up and schedules weekly events.
- RAW BEAUTY - I found the beauty of this course to be a touch above average. Well kept fairways, trimmed up palms and other trees, but yet also a few patches of natural overgrown palmetto patches to swallow your disc when you make an error.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Wickham has somehow managed to find the perfect middle ground between too easy, and too hard, and has probably attracted a wide range of skill levels. Several open plays but also a few longer holes (+400 feet) and several guarded basket placements that will dictate an ideal angle to attack a basket. If I lived in the area, this is the type of course I'd bring a newer player too.
- CHARACTER - Well above average. The concrete tee pads are adequately sized. Lots of extra pin placements making return visits that much more appealing for out of area players. There are multiple tees at more than half of the holes. There is a bunch of seating. There is a good course map and community board as well. As for the lacking items, no practice area and no bag hangers.
- EXTRA HOLES - Although listed as 4 extra holes (22 total), it appears they may be adding another one between holes (3) and (4), as there was another hole there that I played during my round. This hole was a temporary inclusion for a recent tournament and apparently it's been left out for several months now. So perhaps 23 holes.
Cons: Other than variety that's slightly less than average, I have just a few ticky-tack comments.
- UNIQUENESS - A lot of the layout feels the same, hole to hole. In totality I'd rate it in the middle but for courses I've rated this high, it's definitely sub-par among those courses. There are no Par 4's or 5's, no true dog-legs, and tunnel shots are mostly non-existent. There is water in play on a couple holes, (3) and (22), and baskets are guarded in several different ways to force shots from a multitude of angles.
- ELEVATION - You won't find any elevation here or at really any of the surrounding courses either. At Wickham Park, it's probably even below average for a Florida course. There are a couple holes here and there that bring in a 10 foot high mound or so, but that's about it. I did like the use of a mound on (4) which aids in projecting the right basket placement. There is also a nice backdrop mound on (15) and (21), but it doesn't aid in the play of the hole by being beyond. It acts more as a putting safety net.
- PALMETTO BUSHES - As with a bunch of courses in Florida, this course has some pretty substantial palmetto bush patches. When your disc finds one, you may end up with several minutes searching, and after finding it, you'll probably possess a few cuts as well.
- SPACING - Several fairways feel partially shared. My group had several shots end up well into adjacent fairways. So be aware of other groups in your vicinity.
- WIND - Due to less than normal tree coverage, wind will likely be an issue. I played 2 other courses in the same general area the day I played this course, and the wind effect here was the greatest.
Other Thoughts: I had the pleasure of playing Wickham the first time with a good friend of mine that moved away from my area. (DGCR member Neostrat). He fell in love with this game because of this course. You really can't go wrong with trying Wickham Park out. Not a game changer, but a fun round for all.

New in town

5+    1/10/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: Zigzaggler
Pros: Every tee has a concrete pad and tee sign, which I found to be fairly accurate. The park is well maintained and the baskets are moved what seems to be about once a month or so.This is nice so you don't get used to the same throws. The holes are of good variety as far as distance and basket placement goes. I would suggest an afternoon if you are gonna be close to the area.
Cons: The course is in a VERY busy public park. There always seems to be some person or peoples walking from out behind shrubs as you play and the park is used for a lot of different things so sometimes the entire course is unavailable.
Other Thoughts: Being from the Ohio/Michigan area, I have found Florida disc golf VERY FLAT. Like most disc golfers I am a fan of elevation and trees. But so far this is the better of parks I have found on the Atlantic side.

Where's the next hole?

1    12/4/2012   12/4/2012
Review By: xrayskid
Pros: 22 holes and you can really air it out on several of them.
Cons: Really a poorly marked course. Several of the tee maps were incorrect.
Short tees on a lot of holes. Thought I was gonna break my ankle if I didn't start my run from behind the tee.

Fun Course

5+    2/21/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: rjgarment
Pros: Front 9 fairly open. Tees and baskets in good condition. Challenging back 9. Friendly locals. Handicap league 3/4 Sundays a month.
Cons: Palmetto thickets surround every pine tree, sometimes gobbling up discs. Back 9 has blind holes where it's best to get a spotter about halfway up the fairway, or you will spend at least 15 minutes looking for your disc. Signs aren't very descriptive.
Other Thoughts: Alternate tees would be nice. I've been going 4 weeks in a row, and never encountered these "drunks" I keep hearing about, just friendly, helpful locals. Nice course overall.

Local

5+    5/19/2013   1/19/2009
Review By: hdw292
This review was updated on 5/23/2013
Pros: Great combination or long and short holes. You may not get a good drive on some holes but if you have a good upshot you'll be right next to the basket. The back has been controlled burned so there are more areas to get your disc through now that werent there about 5 months ago.
Cons: The only thing I think that is bad is that when they change the basket placement they either put them all long or all short, I think they should mix them up so your not always unleashing it or throwing short but so that some you can throw short and other just let it rip.
Other Thoughts: People want to put in the cons about the park being "flat", your in Florida what do you expect? You want hills go to the central or west coast of the state. I live about .5 miles maybe closer to the park entrance, i'm there faily often as do I travel to other parks in the area and Orlando. Once you get to the central part of the state and go north and also west is where the hills start so if your gonna complain about it then please dont play it. I love the park ive grown up playing it since I was 8. I've seen it go from 18 to 22 and back to 18 holes now. This park is my disc home. and also PLEASE pick up after yourselves with trash and ciggerette butts. We find them all over the place.

1st time in Florida

1    8/31/2008   9/23/2008
Review By: simpletwist
Pros: Good distances for long throwers. Coming from the north the palm trees and the local critters make for an interesting change of scenery. The most interesting holes are all on the back 9. And the water on 17 & 18 make this a particulalrly interesting course.
Cons: The layout was confusing and we never found some of the tee boxes or baskets (holes 6-9 if I remember correctly) Being in a busy multi use public park there may be other park users in the line of fire. On number 5 we had a Dad and his 2 children using the fairway for ball golf practice. They were polite and stepped out of the way so we could "play through."
Other Thoughts: I realize reviews should come from a fully played course, but since we could not find all of the tee boxes or baskets, I think this simple review still has merit.

Not a lot of variety

5/1/2005   5/20/2008
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: As others have said, good for those who like to haul off and throw as hard as they can. It's nice not having to worry about pesky trees, or aiming.

Some holes are completely bare except for a clump of palm trees and bushes right by the hole. This means drives can be huge, but you do need to control your approach, so you come in from the right angle.
Cons: Being from the Mid-West, the course seemed very one dimensional to me. Also, perhaps silly of me, but I was a bit concerned about Florida's well-known snakes, lizards, scorpions, and other assorted insects - especially when I was retrieving a disc from under a bush.