Columbia, SC
Southeast Park Share
Uploaded By: JHCourtney Hole #14 (Taken 3/2015)

Great find

1    9/23/2018   9/24/2018
Review By: squire51
Pros: Large variety of shots
Long course for a city park
Well maintained - Small trees recently removed from fairways, grass along course was mowed.
Great location and easily accessible.
Cons: Walking trails get close to baskets in some places
The middle holes had some real tight tunnel shots

Nice Park Course

1    11/10/2017   11/13/2017
Review By: MakAtak3
Pros:
1. Course is well maintained and flows nicely through the park.

2. Nice mix of wooded and open holes. A couple holes were good rip it holes.

3. Nice mix of par 3,4,and 5 holes.

4. Course is fair and well laid out. Good scores are possible the more you play and figure out your lines and discs.

5. Concrete tee-pads and baskets were in good shape.

6. Very scenic course.
Cons: .
1.Tee pad signs list the par and distance, but did not have a map of the hole. Sometimes we had to search for the basket before we teed off.

2. A couple of the holes are near water, but no true water hazard.

3. There were no signs directions you to the next tee. One of the rails on the basket is painted blue to point to the next basket, but a couple signs on the trees would have been most helpful for a first time player.
Other Thoughts: i really enjoyed playing this course and look forward to playing it again. I had a couple bad holes that caused me to be over par, but it was player error and not a ding on the course. Great course that is worth a visit if you are in the area.

Fun, little of this, little of that

1    11/8/2016   11/8/2016
Review By: Polecat-Meow
Pros: -Well kept
-Easy to follow
-lots of variety
-pretty park
-good pads and baskets
Cons: -needs some work
-didn't seem to be designed super well tbh... some 3's seemed too short or too long, some 4's seemed too short or too long. It was fun but maybe if I had played when some of the baskets were in alternate settings I may have liked it more.
Other Thoughts: i mean, it's great, but it was billed to me as very challenging and technical but it just seemed annoying...I also got covered in fire ants somehow, that may have marred my experience. Overall I enjoyed my round and I'd like to play it again, I think this is a great course for intermediate players looking to amp their game up a few notches.

Fun, challenging, fair

5+    2/5/2016   2/7/2016
Review By: RWPretzel
Pros: Great variety:
-Hole lengths between low 200's and 700's
-Good mix of straight/right/left shots, flat/downhill holes
-Some holes are tight at the tee and clear out as you approach the pin; others start open and have baskets amongst the trees

Most holes have a reasonably sized fairway lined with pretty thick woods

There is plenty of opportunity to throw far, but long throws without accuracy are punished

The course and park are very well maintained, with clear tee signs that list distance. The park staff clearly take pride in what they do

Great use of the park space

Baskets are fancy and new
Cons: Course navigation is a bit tricky the first few times out:
-Tricky walks between 5-6 and 7-8
-Long walk between 13-14

Only three holes have alternate tees. This is more of an issue when the baskets are in the long positions

Chronic mud on parts of 6 and 13 (not the fault of the course designer or park staff, who have dug trenches and built small bridges to help)

No uphill holes, if you are into that kind of thing
Other Thoughts: Multiple basket positions, I think controlled by Columbia Disc Golf Club

Definitely worth a visit!

Impressed

1    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Great baskets.

Challenging holes/design.

Distances were accurate.

Fairways were just that..fair. Tight and technical but fun.

Accuracy and execution is a must. Stay in the fairway and you are good although most holes didn't punish too bad for errant throws. Some holes will and you'll find those quickly if you aren't accurate.

Concrete pads were nice.
Cons: There could be some more benches and trash cans. I didn't notice a lot of trash so bravo to those who play the course frequently.

There were on overly abundant amount of plus 400 shots. Or at least it felt that way. I put this here in the cons not to slight the course, but more to warn those who don't like longer courses to tread lightly. This course will snag your ego if you aren't careful.

Low scores are tough to come by here, but that seems to be the route disc golf courses are going to these days.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. I don't play Columbia courses very often but I found this to be a nice change from some of the other course Columbia has to offer.

Well done, Columbia.

Columbia's Most Challenging

2-4    8/28/2015   8/30/2015
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Already Columbia's most challenging course, Southeast has recently had a ton of work done, greatly extending a number holes, some by an extra throw or two, and cleaning up the fairways.

It's mostly a wooded course, but within one park it runs through a variety of terrains---somewhat open woods where you can create a save from off the fairway, holes cut through dense woods where a bad throw may mean a pitchout, open ground under sprawling live oaks, along with a few open areas where you can let it rip. There's a large pond, in play on 2 holes. All well-used, so that there's a great variety of hole styles and shots required, some of which are pretty creative and unique. In addition to being tough. Except for the last two holes, no 2 holes resemble each other.

Aesthetically it's fairly scenic, with a huge pond and nice woods, but near a major highway so not exactly peaceful. It's a suburban park, not open to surrounding neighborhoods, but the course does share land with walking trails.
Cons: Among the variety of holes and throws required are a few quirky ones. Especially the last 5, which seem a bit of a letdown after what came before. The park road comes into play on 1 or 2 (depending on pin placements), and #14 weaves through the woods with barely a fairway. #17 and #18 are fine, but almost identical, shots.

Navigation is also quirky. The course starts in a separate parking area from the main one (the kiosk you see is at hole 6). It's a long walk from 5 to 6, and 13 to 14. The walk from 7 to 8 goes right past the 13 tee.

It can be a tough place for weak arms. Not just for the pure length, but a lot of holes require a decent throw to get to a landing area for the next dogleg.
Other Thoughts: I'd give this a 3.75 if I could. It's not quite a 4.0, due to the number of minor quirks. But the good parts are very good, and there are a lot of them.

Beast at Southeast!

1    8/1/2015   8/1/2015
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -As a challenging blue level course with many par 4s, Southeast is a beast! It's heavily wooded, somewhat long with four holes over 600', and has many trees that will sabotage shots! Just you wait! Anyway, it's also pretty and has a great view of the pond on some of the holes. My father grew up in Columbia and has a picture of him and his youth baseball team in 79'. I didn't know the picture was taken on what would be #9's fairway.
-Course is well maintained. Fairways are well defined, baskets are in good shape (however, I had a suspicious number of spit outs.), there are also nice concrete pads and signs.
-I love the open bomb par 4s! Notably #13, #17 (my fav) and #18! Ends grand for me because I have a big arm. Signature hole(s) would be 13. It's like 627' and plays a good bit downhill and is placed onto a slightly elevated green. My bomber hole here, where I can crack up to 500'!!!!
-#17 is my favorite. It's the longest at 744'. Tee shot starts off in the woods and it takes a clean shot maybe 220' to clear and goes into the open field. I had maybe 280' left on my second shot. It goes back into the woods for the last maybe 80'. Pretty easy 4 for me but a 3 will leave you smilin' the whole way back! I missed a 30 footer for 3.
-#18 ends well! It is maybe 100' shorter than 17. Teeshot is rather open. It's better to be a bit more left than right unless your forehand is lights out if you are a righty. Basket is a ways away into the woods.
-This course came in late 2012. First time I played in Columbia, this course wasn't out yet. My point being is that I love how there is a much tougher course out there in Columbia. This is well suited for players at least 900 rated.
-Length variety is outstanding here. #16 is barely 200' along with #9 and there are 3 holes over 600' and one over 700'! Oh, and I think #13 has a long pad that plays 827 feet!
-Bathrooms fairly close to the parking lot. Just walk down the road a little, you should walk past #14's tee pad.
-One of those places where there should be a legit PDGA Sanctioned tourney!
Cons: -My main problem is with #6. As pretty and unique as it may be, it's really close to the pond and a big gust of wind would be a severe frustration. There are also holes where love/hate relationships will occur. #6 is without a doubt one of them. #14 was also strange. It's very tight but makes a significant left turn. Kind of hard to decide what to throw on this hole. There are a few more confusing holes but those two stand out the most to me.
-Navigation is very tricky. It took a while to find #8 and #14. After you play #7, the first tee pad you will see is #13. #8's pad is down in the woods beside #13. Those two are a little too close. A bad kick on #8 could go on #13's fairway.
-Some fairways could be cut a little better. I don't know much about snakes but I know they are out there. Just ask my dad!
-I wish there were diagrams on the tee signs but they just give the hole number and distance. Few baskets were tough to find. Particularly #6.
-I love #16! "Road Hole." But not everyone does due to it being an island green or "Island Fairway", but as long as there isn't a car, this hole is fun for me as it is just a toss.
Other Thoughts: -My cons will never keep me from playing here again! My personal enjoyment holewise was really high! I mean higher than Earlewood but this course has got to be difficult to maintain! Earlewood doesn't have as many minor problems because it has been around longer. Play both courses if you stop by in Columbia! It is mostly wooded and is overall kind of flat but it does have surprises here and there.
-If you enjoy various fairways, you will like this course. If you like hilly, I think you will still like this course because I love hilly and I will be back here! There is so much fun available here! Give it a shot!

Quality Disc

5+    12/9/2014   12/9/2014
Review By: Pbmercil
Pros: Hands down the best course in Columbia. The park is very well maintained by both the disc golf club and the parks department. Its a very pretty park and makes for a great backdrop to the course. Park rangers are always around, and very friendly and helpful to the disc golfers. More then once a park ranger has helped me look for a lost disc. Being a mixed use park means that their will be some other park user around certain holes, but that is to be expected at this kind of property. A good mix of different length and styles of holes. I particularly enjoy the par 4s (there are 6), as all of them can be attacked off the tee conservatively or aggressively, making for real decision making during the round. Hole 6 long is the signature par 4 to me. Big hyzer bomb tee shot over a damn and across a creek to a protected landing area. Fun hole with lots of opportunities to make mistakes and get punished for it. #8's green is under a massive and old tree, which is really neat. One of the prettier greens you'll see in disc golf. Several holes have fairway splitters or multiple gaps, allowing for different lines to the same basket. I also really like the island green on #16. Without the island green it would be a boring short filler hole, the island is a nice touch to keep it interesting. As others have said 17 and 18 do basically play as mirrors to each other, but I actually like those holes a lot. There isn't a ton of length on this course, so 17 and 18 are the best chance to really air out the arm and try and crush a big drive.
Cons: If your a first time player definitely take the time to print out the course map provided here, the layout is rather confusing the first time through due to constraints from the park as to where the holes could go. With the map navigation is pretty simple
No benches on the course at all. Sometimes I bring my stool along for this reason. Even just 2 or 3 benches spread out along the course would make a big difference.
My only real con is that the pin/green placement is just a bit off on some of the par 3s. A lot of holes are designed, and at first glance appear to play, as a hyzer or anhyzer tee shot, but actually play pretty straight. On a lot of these holes a straight shot will put you inside the circle for a birdie putt. On many of these holes I actually feel like the straight shot and make your putt is a better approach then trying to turn the corners and bringing trees into play. Specifically I'm talking about holes 1,2,5,8, and 11. I feel like where the pin is should be the edge of the 10 m circle, and the basket needs to be tucked farther in along the hyzer/anhyzer line an additional 10 meters. This would make the course play like a completely different animal without changing the par or length at all. It would force players to commit to turning the corners, which is a good thing.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a very nice course. As a new resident to the Columbia area Southeast stands out as the best course of the 3 local options. I find myself almost always playing here over the other courses because I think its just better.

Southeast

5+    9/19/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: JHCourtney
Pros: This now the best course in columbia. It is starting to get worn in a little bit and make for a great time. Hole 13 is the signature hole and requires 2 massive shots to give yourself a look at a 3
Cons: Course still needs some work and cutting in but overall a great course

One of the best in Columbia

5+    8/6/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: Will_S
Pros: - Great mix of distance

- Mix of wooded/open, but not punishingly wooded. Some courses have so many trees that even a good shot can get knocked down. This courses was laid out very well in that if you execute your shot you will be rewarded

- Tons of different shot types. You'll have to throw long and short hyzers, straight, and anhyzer shots off the tee. You'll be using most, if not all of the discs in your bag.

- Nice concrete pads and clean baskets
Cons: - Everyone's complaint is the layout. It obviously could have been better in a couple of spots, but if you have a course map it's easy to get to. Plus, I'd rather walk an extra five minutes if it allows the course to have better basket layouts instead of a few "filler" holes that most courses seem to have.
Other Thoughts: - I've played this course many times because I work in Columbia frequently. The complaints people have about hole 6 over the dam are valid at certain times of the year. The first time I played this course hole 6 was beautifully mowed and maintained. The last time I played it it was severely overgrown with weeds. You can't even see the basket from the tee box because they are so high. Not sure why no one has gone and cleared that area.