Batavia, IL
West Main Park Share
Uploaded By: basicbill Hole #2 (Taken 9/2013)

Good in Spring & Winter

2-4    4/22/2019   4/22/2019
Review By: Slow_Disc
Pros: Winter and Early Spring, This is an excellent and challenging course, but I can't imagine playing it during summer and fall when everything is growing and green. There are several courses that are fun only in this time frame.

Good is it requires disciplined throws that you need to keep in fairway. Even a well played round will challenge your scrambling skills.
Cons: I can't imagine playing this course during June, July, August with thick underbrush. I am sure that is the reason the course is rated low. Underbrush includes many thorn bushes and such, and it is thick..

No tee pads, and two or three distance signs were missing.

The straight line throws do get repetitive after awhile, but thus the challenge and uniqueness.
Other Thoughts: 18 holes, about 9 of the holes are basically the same, "deja vu all over again". But to the plus these aren't wide open grip and rip shots, they are the technical shots that you need to hit your straight line. This course is all about improving your technical game like this course.

Not a beginner friendly course, but a more experience golfer will appreciate the challenge. I have played the course in the spring. I would welcome to play again at least once a year in the winter or spring.

Black Licorice

1    3/3/2019   3/3/2019
Review By: DrewbieDoobieDoo
Pros: Baskets are in very good shape. Navigation is pretty simple- just follow the paths. Holes 1, 9, and 10 struck me as quality, reasonable, and fair disc golf holes. I would like to play these three holes again on repeat. I generally don't mind natural tees, and here is no different. They do their job just fine. Each tee was marked with a large white rock and post with number basic map and distance.
Cons: Wow! I can't even begin to describe the gnarly rough and underbrush on every holes of this course. Every hole is lined with thorns and disc eating rough, and I played in the dead of winter. I could not imagine playing this course in full grown summer. Nearly all holes have "fairways"¯that are anywhere from about 4'-8' wide (probably reduced even more in spring and summer), with no real flight path to get near the basket. If you do somehow manage a park job it will be pure luck. I started throwing strictly my mako3 on hole 3, only trying to throw it about 130' or less, dead straight, and about 3' off the ground so I wouldn't have to even worry about tearing my coat or pants navigating the abysmal rough. Even with my cautious approach I still managed to miss the fairway a good amount of holes. I did not have any desire to putt out after hole 6. There are some holes which at first resemble legitimate disc golf holes, but then you find that the basket is so heavily guarded by a wall of impenetrable trees that you would need to pack a chainsaw to have a chance of getting within a make-able putt.
Other Thoughts: I stood on several tees and let out a loud Ms. Krabopel like "HA"¯ cackle at the sheer idiocy of the shape and intended line of the hole. There are very few instances I would ever suggest someone to play this course.... If you have never recorded a 7 on a scorecard and for some reason wish to; If you have a new pair of jeans you want to naturally distress; If you lost all your discs and want to beat in brand new ones by throwing them into trees and thorns 4-10 feet from the tee; If you are evil and wish to detour someone from ever playing disc golf bring them here and they won't likely ever want to play again. A very small percentage of DGers will find West Main appealing, but those who do will defend it vehemently and love it to death. I am not one of those people.

Tough Course that Challenges the Best

5+    9/9/2018   10/9/2018
Review By: Forgot My Clubs
Pros: This is one of the most technical courses in the Fox valley area. The rough is unforgiving and the trees are plentiful so pack a lunch and wear your big boy pants. Long narrow holes in tight tree lined lanes. This course is long and the grounds are very nice and private so it's a nice course for bevs and other course favorites.
Cons: Rough is unforgiving so if you're coming from a wide open field course you will be challenged to control your discs more than anything in the area.
Other Thoughts: Early spring and late fall are easiest to avoid the overgrown rough.

awesome course

5+    4/23/2018   4/23/2018
Review By: n88n
Pros: Difficult course. Some really cool holes. Amazing Fall, winter and early spring course.
Cons: No tee pads. It gets pretty muddy if it has been raining. tall rough and lots of thorns. Probably pick a different course in the summer.
Other Thoughts: I have never left a review on this site for a course. I live right by this course and I had never played it because the reviews were just so terrible. I played it last year in the fall and i have been playing ever since. Shame on me for not making up my own decision.

Sure there are no tee pads and that sucks for sure. I have not yet played it in the middle of the summer when everything is green and long so please take that into consideration. I have a feeling it might very well suck in the summer.

This is such a fun course. I have played a lot of the courses in the Northwest Suburbs and this is definitely one of the cooler courses. Do yourself a favor and skip Wheeler and come play this course.

In a response to another comment about not being able to play a tourney here. We just played the Main Street Manditory here this weekend and 100 players came through the course with no trouble.

Bye bye worthless course

2-4    9/9/2017   9/19/2017
Review By: Cool
This review was updated on 9/25/2017
Pros: Located in Batavia, a nice town.
Cons: Grassy, weedy mess. Constructed in an old orchard, the tunnel shots are every other hole. One hole has a ninety degree elbow to the basket, proof that a person who has never tossed a Frisbee designed this rat trap.

No tee pads. None. Zero.

It's next to a pooch park and as such, dog owners take liberties to run their mutts through the course unleashed on an hourly basis.
Other Thoughts: There is an extension of the roadway Fabyan Parkway that is going to destroy at least a large part of this course. We can all pray that the course is either relocated, or made playable, so that Batavia can have a nice, tournament-ready course to draw players to their area, just as the new Rolling Knolls course is doing for Elgin.

Potential here, but currently unplayable

1    8/25/2016   11/25/2016
Review By: jvbh792
Pros: It has actual non-homemade baskets.
There's 18 of them.
It's a course.
It would be a zero if it weren't for having baskets.
Cons: 6 foot + tall grass.
Feel like you're being hunted by velociraptors in Jurrasic park.
If you hit the fairway 2/3 of the time (which is damn good considering it's 15 foot fairways or less) you will lose 6 drivers, and if you miss and upshots, those will vanish as well.
Free to play, but if there's a good chance that attacking this course will cost you $100 in plastic. I'm not kidding. at least 6 lost discs is about $100... And there's a chance you lose more.
Other Thoughts: No idea who designed this course... But it's basically useless. Any tournament here would be a disaster because so many cards would just stack up behind each other looking for discs. Plus isn't fun to play.

Caution! Disc Golfers May Be Lost In The Elephant Grass!

1    6/28/2016   6/28/2016
Pros: As I played # 16, I discovered a brand new Discatcher basket. My theory is, in the entire history of this course, no golfer has reached 16 with any discs left in their bag. I only made it this far owing to my 38 years experience and sheer disc golf craftiness. How I completed this historic accomplishment was true genius. I threw only my tried and tested classic Rock, and never more than 100 feet. It only took me 71 throws to get to # 16 but I managed to stay out of the elephant grass rough.

This course will appeal to a very small segment of the disc golfing public. Only those players who are able to throw 250' straight as an arrow drives.

The mowed walkouts between holes were mostly easy to follow.

I thought the three wooded, technical holes were very pretty.

The on-line map was perfect. The best I've seen in the 35 Illinois courses I've played on this trip thus far. Very few courses in these parts even have a on-line map.
Cons: In late June, the grasses were taller than a man.
The fairways ranged from 6' wide to maybe 15'.
I didn't care for some of the unnatural basket placements.
The 15 ultra tight fairway holes all looked and felt the same to me.
The natural tee pads are a negative.
The course is a lost disc waiting to happen.
Other Thoughts: The rumor in Batavia is, a few years back a disc golfer named Mike "Buck Buck" McDonald was playing the course one day in October and became so frustrated when he lost his 14th and final disc in his bag, his beloved beaten T-Bird, that he vowed not to leave until he found all 14 lost discs. He had only a gronola bar and half his water bottle. Unfortunately winter came early that year. Mike's remains were not found until spring. The wolves had feasted on his rotting carcus. Search and Rescue workers never could forget that scene.

Don't Be Like Mike!

Challenging but Fair

5+    4/19/2015   4/20/2015
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Tight wooded fairways require a number of shots to score well
- Risk/Reward decisions are frequently available
- Good pacing with mix of lengths and shot types throughout the course
- Baskets and tee-signs are generally in good repair
Cons: - Natural tee pads are good in some locations, and almost dangerous in others
- Almost no elevation to speak of
- No water or other varied hazards
- Shared space dog park
Other Thoughts: I never got around to playing this course before the improvements of last summer, so have not experienced this course in its previously untamed state. As things stand now, West Main Park is challenging, tightly wooded course that manages to remain fair, and not disproportionately punish bad shots. The fairways are certainly fair, and the only discs lost during rounds I played were those stuck in one of the many pine trees. While every round was a challenge, I never felt unnecessarily punished, the bogeys were always my fault, and the birdies always felt well earned.

One of the biggest compliments I can give this course is that there are several holes were I faced a decision of either trying to reach the pin on my drive, or disc down and either hit a landing zone, or just make sure I put my drive most of the way down one of the narrow fairways to have an easier look for par. This kind of risk reward makes for great golf, allows for larger score separation in competitive rounds, and makes the strategic aspect of disc golf shine. I have played a number of these holes very differently based solely on how confident I was feeling walking up to the shot, or what the current round situation was.

The course can get a little redundant. By the end of the round it is very possible you will be completely sick of trying to throw laser beams through narrow fairways, and there aren't really any interesting features to add interest to the round.

All the trimming and mowing has resulted in many hidden roots, stems, and stumps in a number of the walking paths, which I and many others tripped over on multiple occasions during out round. There are also thorn bushes in abundance which can make getting some errant throws a difficult or painful endeavor.

The course could really benefit from concrete tee pads, and some of the tee-signs are missing or very poorly placed.

Overall, I quite enjoy my rounds at West Main Park, and I am sure repeated play will definitely help your ability to throw straight and accurately. Hopefully the current level of maintenance is continued, because as it stands, this course is a great addition to the area.

West Main After 2014 Changes

5+    11/5/2014   3/2/2015
Review By: flicdisc
Pros: Batavia has one of the most interesting course designs in the area. Defined fairways make use of former tree farm and grasses. This course is hard. And longer considering a number of tunnel shots. I like this course when open air shots get boring.

The most significant improvement occurred in summer of 2014, when the park district widened the fairways and cleared more defined landing zones. I have not lost a disc since. The course now only poses a slightly greater risk of a lost disc than other local courses. Treat the grasses like an out of bounds.
Cons: Can get muddy when wet. The ground cover below thick trees has little grass. Tee pads are needed, although a skilled tournament director has ample room on each hole to designate safe and flat tees. Certain trees could be removed.
Other Thoughts: Not every course needs to be easy.

Nobody Home

2-4    9/3/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: basicbill
Other Thoughts: The main reason that I "played" this course (Mostly just short straight shots to stay within the narrow fairways.) was to provide some more up-to-date photos than those taken last January when the weeds were not up.

Very narrow in spots. Heavy weeds. I had a tough time finding a disc even though it was only six inches off the fairway.

The front nine is easy to navigate by following the paths from basket to next tee. But the back nine could use a bit of simple signage. Which way do you turn when you hit the "T" intersection after 11? Flip a coin. (Right turn.) A few pieces of scrap lumber, paint and a stencil would go a long way.

The fenced in dog park is separated from the course except for the walk in from the parking lot. A sad commentary on this course is that there are many more dog walkers than disc players. Both times I've been there, I was the only disc golfer. Driving past the course in Geneva a few minutes later showed several groups playing.

Apparently no one from the Batavia Park District had been on the course recently since there were several trees down from a recent storm. One large one lay across the 5th fairway.

I would really like to watch some good players attack this course. Just to see what is possible.