Athens, GA
Sandy Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #11 (Taken 12/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
way over rated

1    9/20/2019   9/25/2019
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Beautiful park, plenty of good land for DG, open (front 8/9) and wooded (back 9+) with some elevation changes, 3 tee pads on most holes. Park office had nice restrooms.
Cons: Navigation issues galore. I printed a map from here ahead of time, the park ranger gave me a revised map when paying my $2 to enter. The tee signs don't face the proper way on every hole, the cement tees are rather short. #1 wasn't easy to find without a map and you back track to #2, #4 was hard to find, long walk after #7 past the park office to #9 with no signage indicating which way to go. Basket 8 was MISSING evidently.

On the front 8 the flow of the course wasn't intuitive, I've played over 370 courses and usually can tell which direction to go next, not here!

Mid way thru the back 9 the basket #''s included 7a, 8a, 20, 24 and in no order. Obviously a reconfiguration has been done but it's confusing as hell to figure out. After 16, I gave up trying to find 17 and 18 knowing there were other added holes in between.

A few next tees were found, but so many more are needed.
Other Thoughts: #11 was beautiful but the basket position in the woods would of been so much better in front of the lake. #12 was a great wooded hole.

How can this be rated 3.9??? As a whole, this course is UNDER average, I was very disappointed :(

A Sandy Mixture

1    11/27/2018   12/21/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.669 Rating) A sprawling city park course with a stretch of heavily wooded holes.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - There are parts of this course that are just plain gorgeous. Clearly the best part of this layout begins on hole (11) with Lake Chapman in the backdrop of the basket placement. Hole (12) thru (22), is a nice stretch of wooded fairway lines. I think the consensus favorite would be (21), which is stellar looking down shot over a bog. Despite this really good stretch, sections of the course are relatively bland. Several of the beginning holes and the last hole bring my beauty score back quite a bit. I got the course roughly a 3 out of 5 in these terms.
- MULTIPLE TEES - I bumped the score up for Sandy Creek a lot for the tees. First off, big surfaces for the middle and back tees at 5 feet by 11 feet. The short tees are 5 feet by 8 feet. All of the surfaces are concrete. All of these tees and thus layout difficulty options, makes Sandy Creek playable to a larger than normal audience. I could see beginners loving the front half of the course from the short tees and Advanced players being appeased by the longer and more technical back tees.
- CHARACTER - In addition to the tees, The course has a nice array of extras. First off, be sure and ask for a scorecard at the gate. You'll need it. There's a course map and practice basket near tee (1). There is seating on a handful of holes. There are lots of multiple basket placements and there are big shelters with picnic tables and restrooms.
- CHALLENGING - I played a mixture of front, middle and back tees on my round. The back tees read as a tweener between Advanced and Intermediate. Hole (23) is not a par 4 to Advanced played regardless of basket placement. An open and 480 foot listed par 4 isn't going to make a 950 rated player shudder. I did like how the course balanced power and finesse so that one particular skill set wouldn't have an advantage.
- UNIQUENESS - A near even split of openish holes to wooded holes. Several multi-shot holes as hole (1) out the gates can play up over 800 feet from the back tees depending on basket placement. Holes play up, down, left, right, long and short. Water is in play on a few shots and elevation hits the 40 foot mark.

Cons: A couple minor things but otherwise a solid course.
- SAFETY HAZARDS - The path between Basket (21) and tee (22) is through (13s) fairway. During the summer, I highly doubt those on (13) will see the walkers until after release. I don't recall seeing a warning sign on the path, perhaps I missed it. Also, some of the basket placements and tees on the front were not very well spaced, although I've seen much worse examples at other courses.
- LOOSE DISC OPPS - There are some places not to throw a disc into on this course. I spent a good 15 minutes looking for a disc on (13) in a dead leaf pile. The thicket on the wooded holes looks fairly dense, It could get dicey during peak overgrowth. Obviously the lake on (11) is bad place to end up, and the bog on (21) likely isn't a wise landing spot either.
- ONE TEE SIGN PER HOLE - The tee signs are only at the back tees. Thus those that play the other tees will have to recall the distances and locations of the 3 basket placements when they arrive at their tee. It would have been nice to have basket placement indicators on this course as many of the placements are blind.
- POISON IVY - I didn't see any in late November. Yea! This course looks like a prime offender though. Probably lots of briar and thorns off fairway as well.
- PAY TO PLAY - I want to say I paid $3 for both the park entry and the disc golf usage fee. Some may be swayed away by this, but at this price, it's not a bad deal.
- TIME PLAY - I showed up at Sandy Creek with exactly one hour of park open time left. There are 22 holes (hole 8 is still missing per all the previous reviews.) I figured, I'm quick, I'll play the front tees to start and then move to the middle and back tees as time permits. I switched to the middle tees on (9), but after spending 15 minutes searching in the dead leaf piles on (13), I took a lot of liberties to get this round in. I think a solo playing the middle tees will take an hour and 15 minutes. A foursome on the back tees may take close to 3 hours.

Other Thoughts: A really nice course that will appeal to a wide swath of players. All the key aspects that deliver highly rated courses are here. Solid amenities and basics, challenge and variety. It can a boat-load of fun and the course is beautiful in spots. All stated, what keeping this course down a few pegs compared to the courses I've rated higher is that none the aspects I noted above are knocked out of the park here. Whereas a course like Little Mulberry Park, 45 minutes away, has killer beauty and excellent extras and amenities, thus the higher ranking I've given. In all, I would not put this course at the Georgia destination level, like that of IDGC courses, Hobbs, Perkerson or Mulberry. It is a great regional course though, and players in the Atlanta area should make the trip over at some point to play it.
- NAVIGATION - Ok. If it weren't for the course map at the gate, I would have gotten lost several times. There are a few longer than normal transitions and navigational cues between holes are spotty. Tee sign descriptions are satisfactory. What Sandy Creek really needs is tee signs at all the tees and pin placement indicators.

ANTS- ONLY PLAYED FRONT 7

1    9/3/2018   9/5/2018
Review By: MarcB
Pros: Only played the Front 7. Very open and forgiving for all players.
Big layout-
Pads very nice
3 TEE OPTIONS- VERY VERY NICE for All Levels.
I Played on Monday- could have been open because of the Holiday?
Very nice person taking money to play and answering questions.
Cons: Need to redo the numbers on the holes. No number 8.
Can't tell where hole location is based upon the tee box gives 3 possible options.
FIRE ANTS EVERYWHERE. YES I GOT INTO A PILE and PAID THE PRICE.
Other Thoughts: Overall on the front seven not bad. I would play again if in the area. I'm not an expert. Novice player at best but I did enjoy this course. My wife and I played red tees first then went to play same seven on White tees and definitely a difference.

Overrated

1    10/22/2016   10/23/2016
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Some nice long holes and tight lines to hit through the woods. I had to use a nice mix of forehand, thumber, and backhand drives to get my disc down the fairway. Good mix of open and wooded.
Cons: So where do I start... It's missing a hole, which is inexcusable for the amount of land they have to work with, they should have been able to rework a couple holes and add a new one in. The flow of the course, especially in the open, was terrible. Whose idea was it to have 3 different pads and 3 different pins with no way to mark which pin you are actually throwing at? So on most tees you either just guess what disc you should throw or walk out every fairway to see where to aim? It's already a long course, the last thing I wanted to do was walk each hole twice, how boring and what a flow killer. I won't be back until they have a way to mark on their tee signs which pin position the basket is currently at. The signs don't face the way you play like 99% of all other courses. It's just weird and was unnecessary to set it up that way. It makes it easier to envision in my head how the fairway is set up if I can stand on the teepad and face the direction in which to throw and glance over at the tee sign. Maybe that's just me. We had to cross other fairways several times throughout the course to get to the next tee. Very few next tee signs on the front nine where you really needed them. And the ones in the woods are tiny, the arrow and sign is about 2 inches long, easy to miss them.
Other Thoughts: I like to walk from one hole to the next without having to constantly figure out where to go. I like to stand on the teepad, look down the fairway and look a the teesign, and using that information, choose the proper disc and throw. Can't do that at this course. You get from hole 7 to hole 9 by walking to the parking lot and across the entrance road. You'll see 23 basket, keep walking along tree line/road and you'll eventually see teepads for hole 9.

Sandy Creek Park

1    9/17/2016   9/23/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads for all tees

Has nice tee signs

Has next tee signs posted after some baskets

Has benches on a few holes

Good mix of open and wooded fairways with elevations

Multiple basket placements on most holes

Well-maintained

Almost had the whole course to myself on a Saturday afternoon

Water fountain and soda machine

Restrooms
Cons:
No hole #8 - course needs renumbering

Some holes such as #9 and #10 have safety concerns - playing near the street or near other park amenities

Needs more next tee signs - consult the course map from this site if playing for the first time

Course design and flow could use improvement as there are long walks between holes #7 & #9 and #21 & #22 - latter transition cuts through hole #13 fairway

Fairway for hole #21 has the potential to get flooded and very muddy after it rains

$3 pay to play but worth it in my opinion
This is a nice scenic multi-use park in Clarke County that I enjoyed playing. The park is very spacious and has a variety of terrain that makes the course challenging. I even saw a doe grazing inside the old cemetery at hole #1. There's a nice lake but doesn't really come into play here. I will definitely play here again and just wish it was a little closer to where I live. It's probably the best course in the Athens area and I would recommend it to you if you're in the area.

Sandy Creek

5+    6/5/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: damtroll
Pros: The course is 22 holes. The more, the better right?

Three nice sets of concrete pads on nearly every hole,which really affects the difficulty level. I played the reds and blues in 2 separate rounds today, and there is a marked change in difficulty between the pads.

Some really good wooded holes on 12-22. While it really challenges me, I think hole 21 is a really good example of what a par 3 hole should. Play it safe to the edge of the wetland bowl, throw a simple shot with late fade for a tap in par, or take a chance and maybe get a 2, get wet, and/or get a 5. Hole 17 is another really nice example of what wooded golf should be, with a wooded creek on the right of the long, narrow fairway before the turn uphill to the basket on the left.

Course is in a well maintained park, and course maintenance is pretty good.

Decent signage with next tee signs.

The course loops back to the parking lot after hole 7, so you can use the rest room, refill your water bottle before hitting the back 15.

Some alternate pin positions. The tee pads don't seem to be changed all too often, but I have noticed differing pin positions for 3 and 12 fairly often, with 5,6,10, and 23 (and maybe others) changed less often.
Cons: No hole 8. I know the reasons for its removal, but it is still pretty annoying for the purposes of entering scores into DGCR,

There are a few open holes that are less than exciting. Hole 7 is pretty much a wide open shot. Hole 23 is a wide open bomb shot, After 11 holes in the woods, I guess I shouldn't complain about a wide open rip and grip shot.
Other Thoughts: The course is play to pay. $3.00 per person, with $2.00 for park entry and $1.00 for disc golf.

The transition from 21 to 22 is rather long. At the second tee sign, take the right fork to cross the bridge over the ravine and get to 22's pad. Also, watch out for anyone throwing on 13.

Course (and park) is closed on Monday.

Balanced

5+    10/10/2015   12/19/2014
Review By: Didn'tSeeThatTree
This review was updated on 10/15/2015
Pros: UPDATED 10/15/2015 - Trying to redeem myself for a lazy first attempt at a review.

- Fun balance of open and wooded technical shots with a few grip it and rip it holes. Plus there are 22 holes!! The more the better IMHO.

- Recovery potential if your tee shot goes off the fairway. Some courses feel like the penalty is too high for going off the fairway, and others don't hurt you enough. Sandy Creek feels right. I've been of the fairway a ton, but rarely do I have to just pitch out...maybe 1/5 time is there no chance of still advancing. mostly I have to decide between a risky but possible shot up towards the pin, or a safe pitch-out. Rarely is a pitch-out the only option.

- Well maintained public park with clean bathrooms, and there are even some new benches on a few holes.

- The best course in the Athens area. Herman C Micheal is the only other course within 30 minutes, and it's good for a quick round, but Sandy Creek is the best in the area.

- No real water hazard to lose a disc into. I personally hate losing a disc. Throwing over water is fun, but as I play this course a bunch I enjoy not having to get wet looking for my errant shots.

- Lots of variety on the course. There is a good mix of open and wooded. Multiple tee pads/pin locations. I almost always play from the white tees, occasionally the blue when I'm feeling frisky. My wife comes along occasionally and has fun playing from the red tees.

Here is my hole by hole break down, some of the cons are in here, but the diversity of this course to me is the biggest Pro so I'm listing this here:
1) Mostly open. Longest hole requires a placement tee shot to have a good look at landing your second near the pin. OB road left and wooded area to the right. Also, a row of tall trees line the fairway along the road that seem to come into play often. (Side note: Should probably be a par 4 not a 5 in the normal long position. I played a round with Doug Porter (designer) and he explained the intended long position isn't used because of a potential safety issue with a blind approach shot over a walking path so they had to shorten the hole approx. 150')

2) Mostly open with trouble on both sides. Really fun downhill shot. Not really a long par 4 from the white tees. With a good drive you could have a look a an eagle 2. (I never have, but someone with a bigger arm than me definitely could). Be careful not to hyzer (RHBH) out too bad left...the tall grass is a disc thief.

3) Wide tunnel shot. Solid hole in either pin position. Good birdie potential from the white tee. The blue tee is tucked back making the initial gap between two trees much more intimidating.

4) Open with trouble around pin. Ace run!! but be careful not to sail past for a long comeback putt. Probably the shortest hole. Pretty easy 2 if you don't get greedy with your tee shot.

5) Uphill with OB along left side. There is a smallish gap between two thickets that your tee shot has to make it through for a birdie look. I don't hit it often, but it is really satisfying when I do!

6) I hate this hole, not because it's bad...I just take a lot of bogeys. The normal pin location (past the cedar tree) requires a big shot to have a birdie look. The BH line feels like there is a luck factor for a look at 2. the FH route feels safer to me, but you would have to have a cannon to get inside the circle.

7) Open hole with basket on a ridge. I like the FH option since there a some trees right off the tee that can get a BH in trouble.

8) HOLE REMOVED - Discs used to land on the roof, and the story I've heard is some moron took the furniture out of the center to climb up and retrieve a disc and left it outside to get rained on...thanks pal!

9) Another FH/BH choice. There is an initial tree to clear for the FH, but it's clear from there. Hit the tree, and bogey is possible. The BH route is safer and more open at first, but there is a row of trees which can knock the shot down early.

10) Open with a few trees to dodge. There so many routes from the white tee. RHBH hyzer skip shot off the road, putter or mid straight up the gut, or FH over the tennis courts. Pretty get-able birdie. The blue tee is super fun on this hole too.

11) Good challenge. Tight tee shot and tucked pin. the first 100' off the tee has a number of pine trees to work around, but it's wide open from there until the pin. I've had good success with a flex FH that finishes into the pocket where the basket is tucked. Really satisfying birdie if you can get it.

12) Wooded par 4. Requires a straight tee shot to have a good approach. Going right or left off the fairway makes getting to the circle in two very tough. A smarter player than me would probably throw a putter or mid off the tee to make sure they had a clean look on their second shot. I'm not a smart man, so I find myself off the fairway more often than not.

13) Wooded tight with ravine to contend with. The normal pin location seems to be long near the walkway, which seems to require a tight RHBH flex shot or dead straight 300' shot (which I don't have) to get a birdie look. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole location, but it sure is a fun challenge. A putter or mid of the tee is a good way to avoid trouble, but will probably not get a birdie look.

14) Short wooded tunnel shot. The designer said this was not the original hole 14, but a temporary location that wound up being permanent. Kind of a throw away hole.

15) Very tight wooded. IMHO the worst hole on the course. This is the only hole that I don't see how to get a look at birdie without some luck involved. There is a cluster of trees 80' off the tee with no real line to the pin. It feels like luck every time a tee shot gets through clean, and even then it's rare to be within 60' of the pin.

16) Wooded slightly to right with pin on slope. Another hole with a really cool blue tee that is fun to try. The BH line requires a straight or slight turn-over. I normally throw a FH off the white tee and hope for a good skip off the hill leading to the basket.

17) Wooded par 4 with trouble left and right on tee shot. Really fun tunnel shot down an old logging road. There are two gaps to land in. The shorter gap is a nice RHFH line, and if you can hit the long gap and get up the hill much then birdie should be easy. Anything off the fairway, and you will be scrambling to save par.

18) Slightly uphill wooded with tree right in the middle. Not much to say about this hole. Miss the tree and you should be in good shape.

19) Fun downhill wooded shot. Throw a slight turn over with a putter and watch it glide! Or in my case turn it over too much and watch it kick into the woods! Throwing a flick FH works, but stopping in time can be a challenge I think the original blue tee is no longer used. There seems to be both blue and white marks on the middle tee box.

20) Kind of like hole 18. Not much to say on this one...wooded..uphill. No tree in the center like 18, but similar shot to execute for a birdie look.

21) YES!!! Wooded with a wetland bowl to clear. Elevation change and a low canopy that forces you to hit a tight line. I've always really liked this hole. Clearing the swamp is always a fist pump moment. This to me is the signature hole at Sandy Creek.

22) Another good wooded hole. Par 4 with both a right and left fairway. There is a thicket of trees and light brush in the middle...somehow I'm here more often than in one of the fairways. There are so many routes/combinations of throws to take on this hole, it's really a good one. It was intimidating until I could throw a FH, now it's one of my favorites.

23) Wide open par 4. Big arms, or good rollers might even get a look at an eagle! Great way to finish, very fun to grip it and rip it after all the tight lines through the woods of hole 12-22 .
Cons: Mostly just gripes...Other than the few "Meh" holes I have no issue with the course and would highly recommend it to anyone. Might not be the best beginner course I know I struggled to break 100 when I first started playing, but still a beautiful park and a good walk through the woods.

- Pin location rarely changes. The potential for more variety is there...just not utilized

- No league play and few tournaments. This doesn't take away from how great the course is. I just personally would like to see a few more events at this course. I'm glad there is a random draw doubles at nearby Herman C. Michael, and hats off to the people that make that happen. Sandy Creek seems like a good place for more tournaments. If you build it they will come right?

- Fire ants and poison ivy...watch where you stand.

- No more hole 8.

- Park hours limit playing time. Closed on Mondays and not open at first light.

- People littering on course. Not a con against the course. Just a reminder...if you can carry it in full you can carry it out empty! This said Sandy Creek is a really clean park overall. I just shake my head every time I have to clean up someone's trash on the course.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully more people discover this gem. It is rarely crowded (I should list that in the Pros hehe). I live 15 minutes from this course, and probably play here 5-10 times per month and never get bored of it.

It is $3 ($2 park, $1 disc golf) If you are a regular look into buying a park pass and punch card. The pass is $40/year and the card is $10 for 12 rounds. I got a pass this year, and would guess I've played 60 times so far. That's probably $80-$100 I've saved...who am I kidding...I spent it on plastic :)

My first dog was named Sandy

1    10/31/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - It starts with multiple pads (2 or 3) on top of rotating pin positions. There's also 23 (actually 22 because there is no #8) holes here so there's a ton of different ways to play this course and you could play it multiple times in different configurations; that's a huge plus. (Also for the purpose of this review I played most of the long pads.)

The two biggest strengths of Sandy Creek is that it gives a solid balance in hole type and forces you to throw a variety of shots in different circumstances.

The front eleven starts you off in the more open area of the park. There's some gaps to hit and some trees to avoid but for the most part it's about being able to place your shot over length. If you have the arm you can take more obstacles out of the way by hyzering/anhyzering around them. There's some fun holes on this front part and I especially like the stretch from 9-11 which matches that fun with challenge and more interesting lines.

The second eleven to me is the real strength of the course. It gets you down in the woods in the undulating terrain by the lake. Here you have quick elevation changes and some really interesting lines.

Most of the holes back here can be reached with a mid but a few are longer and require a fairway driver. I only played one set of pin positions but I could tell that they did a good job of changing the shot. I also really liked the selection of basket positions, they were usually tucked in to a nice spot or on some slope to add challenge. This all leads to a really balanced course.

The back eleven does a really good job of making you work the disc through gaps while moving it. Even the straighter overall holes aren't simple. It's not overly challenging but enough to make it interesting.

At the end you pop back out in the open for one more bomber hole that ends the round nicely.

There's one par 5 (though I'd call it a par 4) and five par 4's (though I'd call some of those a par 3) thrown in. A few were really solid holes that forced good placement shots to set you up for the second. It's one more area the course gives you variety in.

Equipment - Concrete pads for each tee and good signs that show you the length and hole layout. There's scorecards with a map available at the parking lot. The baskets seemed to be in good shape.

Atmosphere - Overall the park is pretty scenic. You have the lake in view on a few holes and the terrain is interesting. Once you get in the back you're in a more secluded place and I enjoyed that part more than the front but it's definitely a fun place to play disc golf.

Cons: Layout - The bigger weaknesses for this course really come in to play on that front 8 (well 7). I liked a few of these holes and it's not that they were all bad but it's just overall not that impressive. There's a few really boring open shots over there.

There's also some weird distances on a few of those holes from the long tee that create some tweeners.

The back part of the course is much better but there's not many holes that really make you go wow. It's just really solid golf and nothing amazing.

There's also a few holes on the back that seem like tweeners and some holes that from the long tee just have really awkward angles to the lines.

It would of also been nice if they could of brought the lake more in to play.

Equipment - There's no basket #8. From what I understand it had to be removed for safety reasons but to me it makes more sense to just renumber the rest of the course.

Some of the tees were really sandy...

Atmosphere - The front part of the course isn't all that great atmosphere wise, there's a few nice looking holes but I just didn't like the feel of it.
Other Thoughts: Sandy Creek is a solid and fun course to play and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area. Though if i lived in the area I'd probably mostly just start at 9 and play through 23 or work out some other 18 hole layout.

Let's try again

2-4    11/8/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: nightwing
This review was updated on 7/5/2015
Pros: Concrete tee-pads
3 tees per hole
Mix of open grass and tight trees
Several interesting shots
Good basic infrastructure
Lovely park
Mostly Disc-only area for the course
Cons: No maps...not even on the Kiosk?
'Back 15' very hard to play.
Not much elevation
Some repetitive holes on the back
Other Thoughts: NOTE ON EDITED REVIEW: WHEN A REVIEW OF MINE ISN'T 'HELPFUL', I STOP AND ASK WHY. I EDITED THIS ONE A LOT. But the basic concerns stay the same. I really think a player who does not know this course needs honest information.

This is a pretty good course, but I have to say it wore out my patience. It took 20 minutes for the staff to admit that they could not find me a map. But what was really lame was that a pay to play course did not even have a map posted in the kiosk. Wandering lost with no idea how to get going on the back really dampened the day. (There were good signs once I finally got to the denser woods).

This was a beautiful, sunny saturday but I only saw about 10 players, all but 2 on the "Front 7". The back seemed to have scared most players off and I could see why. Does it make sense to put nearly every pin in the 'Throw long and blind' position when leaves have buried the course? I'm sorry to complain but the fact that the back was nearly unplayed seems to indicate something here. Throw in a few redundantly dense tree holes and it just wasn't much fun.

Sandy Creek could be a 4 star course with more love and fewer leaves. But on the day I was there, 3.5 is giving the benefit of the doubt.

Great balance of open and wooded

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Got to finally play this course for the first time this weekend and i do have to say wow what a use of land and trees

The frount nine uses mostly open field shots that allow you to open your arm up and get you throw dialed in before hitting the wooded holes. You really have to take a step back and really enjoy the way that some of the trees in the fairways were placed in spots to shape the holes and define the fairways.

Back nine turns into a great change of pace and a place to beat the summer heat. If the frount nine did not beat your score up too bade dont think your going to just cruse on to a great score with the shorter holes. Deifined wooded holes with multiple lines to the holes. As a left handed bh and flick i enjoyed not having to think right handed on all the holes.
Cons: Really my complantes are not much of anything. Talking to a few locals and seeing it first hand the pin locations can be a little tuff to fiquire out. Each hole has three tee pads and three pin locations. (love this by the way.) Can get a little tuff to fiqure out.
Other Thoughts: I will be back. It was a demanding course that offers everything that I love to see in a course and then some. If your one of the few that don't enjoy paying a few bucks to play the course then your missing out.

< Prev 1 2 3 4