Hampshire, IL
Dorothy J. Schmidt Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: fingersbb64 Hole #1 (Taken 10/2014)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Not a course but good for practice.

2-4    8/14/2018   8/21/2018
Review By: rocthecourse
Pros: 3 baskets that are in good shape. 9 different tee pads to throw from. Depending on time of day you can have the whole park to yourself to work on shots.

Could be a good first disc golf experience for new players in the area.

There's a playground if you have kids.

It's a quick play for the course baggers.

Cons: It seems like some of the tee pads aren't being used very often, a couple are almost overgrown.

If there are other people using the park you will probably not be able to throw all the possible lines.

Many of the tee pads are similar distance, would have liked to see more variety. It would also be nice to have some distances listed on the tee signs.

Other Thoughts: I would have like to have seen one of the baskets set up for "around the world" for putting practice.

They should have planted a few trees or bushes to force you to throw different shots.

While not a proper disc golf course I thought this was a decent practice area. I actually had more fun throwing here than some of the courses I have played recently. I would rather play at a good practice area than a terrible 9 hole course. I wish my local park had a few baskets in it for doing field work and putt and approach practice.

If you come here expecting a proper course you will be disappointed. But if you come knowing that it is a practice area you can have some fun. I spent about 30 minutes here trying to throw from every tee to every basket and had some fun. Will I ever play it again? Probably not, but if I am driving by I might stop in to find the tee pad that I missed. But if there was a practice area like this 3-5 miles from my house I would probably stop in from time to time to practice my approaches and to test out new discs.

For a rating a gave this "course" a 1.0 which is a bit generous.

Not a bad little practice area

1    7/17/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The baskets are set in a small community park that's grassy and well kept. There are a few young trees in play that may grow up to be more interesting obstacles in the future. A couple minor elevation changes are in play, you can practice slightly up- and downhill approaches and putts here. There are 9 marked tee locations and plenty of other safari options, with enough length to throw some real drives if the park is empty.
Cons: The baskets are set in a line, which limits the available shots a little. The baskets and tees play close to and over some paths and other park activities, and with the potential for blind shots to one of the baskets this could be a safety concern. I rate all courses on the same scale, so though this is a decent little spot to practice and a nice exposure for the sport it still doesn't have enough going for it to rank any higher.
Other Thoughts: Beginners can get a lot out of this practice area, it's a fine place to try out the sport and work on basic shots. More experienced players can use this for upshot and putting practice but won't find much of a chance to test any real line shaping skills. Don't drive to this one expecting a real course, it's just a nice little neighborhood practice spot.