Kilgore, TX
Meadowbrook Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 3/2013)
3 / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Where's The Rest Of It?

1    4/8/2018   6/28/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (0.718 Rating) A secluded looking city park course that's lost baskets.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - For courses I've rated this low, the beauty for this course is very much above average. Almost entirely wooded with several larger trees. The trees also add the element of some minor shot shaping potential, depending on where you decide to tee from. (see cons, Tee Area)
- QUICK PLAY - A baggers dream, ok not really. A single could easily complete all 4 holes in under 10 minutes. Groups of 4 should probably finish in under 20 minutes.

Cons: A myriad of issues with Meadowbrook.
- 4 BASKETS - I only found 4 of the 9 baskets. The previous reviewer just over a year ago mentioned just five baskets left. A few may argue that this is not even a course anymore.
- TEE AREA - Where are they? I used a competing app to try and find tees but got nothing. The baskets were close to the mapped location however. So tee off from wherever, I guess.
- NAVIGATION - Impossible to navigate. There are no longer any markings of any kind other than labeled baskets.
- CHAINS - The baskets are the older single chain type. Mach 1s maybe?
- CHARACTER - In addition to no tee areas and poor baskets, this course really doesn't have any of the amenities or comfort items seen on established courses. No benches, signage or trash cans. Restroom and shelters appear to be in the park, but they are located on the other side of the creek and would require getting in the car to get to them.
- UNDEFINED CHALLENGE - The original marked layout appears to have been lost with time. Without a defined layout to follow, rating the challenge of this course is limited. For this review I rated the challenge by going basket to basket clockwise. I started with throwing at basket (2), since I couldn't find (1). In this type of layout, even a rec player should be able to break par if played as all 3s. Advanced players would be unsatisfied throwing anything other than all birds. There are obviously numerous ways to throw a round here, but every course could say the same thing. Safari possibilities don't affect how I rate a course.
- WATER HAZARDS - Along (2) is a gorging creek. I'm glad I didn't go in it.
- ELEVATION - A pond has more elevation than this course.
- BOGGY - Two of the four fairways I played were partially flooded. The course is so flat that I wouldn't be surprised if standing water was a common occurrence.
- UNIQUENESS - Occupying such a small footprint, the Meadowbrook course is one of the least unique courses I've ever played. All the holes are short with a moderate amount of trees.
- PARKING - A horrible pitted parking lot.

Other Thoughts: The shortest pro list I've ever put up to review a course, but still some ways from my worst disc golf experience. The area that the course encompasses is actually fairly good to put in a nice 6 to 9 hole course. The biggest thing that Meadowbrook is missing, is personal involvement. It appears no one cares to keep the course in check and it has evolved into nothing more than a bunch of baskets in a wooded area. The course desperately needs a caretaker. There is no reason to venture here unless a player wants to observe the skeletal remains of course.

1    2/15/2017   2/16/2017
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Has 5 baskets and if you look hard enough, you will find some tee markers nailed into tree's.
Cons: horribly marked and I could not find a basket for #5, found the tee and the mando, but no basket.
Other Thoughts: The map is no longer valid, the course has been remarked at a 6 hole course, but even that is hard to find and #5 is missing.

The holes that are there are OK, but it is not worth playing to tell the truth.

Surprising

1    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: chalos13
Pros: This course is all about the trees and the creek. The designers used everything they had to make this course a challenge. Park was very clean, plenty of trash cans on the course. The course is off in one corner of the park, so no walking paths, playgrounds or soccer games to worry about. None of the holes overlap one another so you won't have problems even on a crowded day. Tee boxes well marked, and didn't get lost at any point. I really like hole 4: just a blind spike hyzer shot around some brush and trees.
Cons: I never realized how much I love disc catchers till I played here. Baskets have single chains and no distinguishing mark. It's very difficult to see the basket from the tee box, if I lived here I'd get the club to use some orange spray paint on these things. Many hole numbers have come off the baskets, but you can't see them from the tee box anyway so this doesn't bother me.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me of Pecan Acres in Nacogdoches: built in a beautiful park under big old trees. You're playing small gaps or trying to shoot under the trees most of the time. This course isn't super difficult, but it's fun. Natural tee boxes don't bother me if they're well marked, and all of these are. On a few holes there are hooks in the trees near e tee box to hang tour bag, first time I've seen this and I really like it. If you're at the box for 7, look right, It doesn't follow the road it's in the trees about 15 degrees to your right. I think this course is really good for working on different shots. I used a lot of different shots that I normally don't use on my home course. This is great for improving your game, kudos to the designers.

Lots of potential...

1    5/5/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: jrrttmrgn
Pros: The Meadowbrook Park dgc is one of the few 9 holers I have played that is by way of terrain a single use course. the course is situated on the far North end of the park and seperated from the rest of the park by a large creek. This really adds to the feeling of seclusion and peace that this course exudes. The course is populated with massive trees which provides shade and is shielded from the wind by a large hill. Good baskets and carefully shaped lines make for a pleasant round.
Cons: The course has lots of promise but doesn't quite deliver due to unmarked baskets, unclear navigation and the baskets blend into the background. Badly needs tee signs...
Other Thoughts: Things to know for your first trip here:

The course is located past the main part of the park which contains soccer and baseball fields. Take first left after park. Parking is immediately on left.

The course is tear shaped. It circles out and back around clockwise back to hole 1.

The creek is still in the woods even though it disappears from view after hole 3. RHBH on hole 4 beware the creek is in the woods on your left ...