Greenwood Village, CO
Village Greens Park Share
Uploaded By: Dryhorse Hole #2 (Taken 7/2015)
Hole #2 Tee: Basket 300 ft straight ahead, view obstructed by tall grass

< Prev 1 2 3
Nice golf infrastructure - boring piece of land

1    7/21/2017   7/24/2017
Review By: brentjacobs
Pros: - 18 Metal Baskets in good repair with a level mount.
- Nice level concrete tees on every hole.
- Nice practice basket and course map at the entrance.
- Decent use of the available elevation.
- Most holes are very beginner or casual friendly. If that's what you're looking for, this course is a solid choice.
- Layout is pretty easy to follow.
- Flags on the top of the few baskets that are not visible from the tee.
- Nice little metal bars with nubs by the tee boxes that are(I assume) for scraping mud off your shoes.
- Seems to be pretty well maintained. Wood chips around all the baskets which is nice since a lot of the course and greens are hard pan dirt. Didn't really see any trash to speak of.
- Depending on skill level, there are a lot of ace runs out there.
- Free to play.
Cons: - Pretty blah golf. Most of the trees are 8-10' tall so there really is almost no line shaping or precision required. I've played some "lynx style" courses before and generally, unless there's a bunch of elevation in play or a lot of man made OB or both, they just don't present much challenge. From the spray paint lines I saw on a number of holes, I'd guess artificial OB is how local leagues and tourneys spice this course up.
- With the land the course is on, a number of holes feel pretty repetitive. Lots of 220' to 320' range. Slight uphill, slight downhill. The others that don't fit in that range are are couple 350'ish and a couple 450'ish holes. Really not a lot of variety is possible with the land being used. Only 2 holes stuck out as unique/fun on the course, for me. #'s 15 & 16 which play over a little row of bushes that line the small creek and then back across the other direction.
- Some of the tee pads seem to point on what should be the preferred line, except, as I mentioned earlier, the very short trees don't really force a line. This basically leaves the golfer lining up the tee diagonally. Perhaps they're set in this manner to account for 10+ years of future tree growth. Not sure, but I wasn't a huge fan of those tees.
- Prairie dogs. These cute little terrorists leave ankle breaking holes like land mines. Fortunately they have not infested the entire or even the majority of the course. Hopefully they stay to the small area they're in and don't make a push for a hostile takeover. Keep your eyes open if you start to see them and watch your step.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent town course for the casual to intermediate player. For more experienced players, or those who like a test of skills, this will not offer challenge or variety beyond a "birdie or die" type round and the few bomber holes. All the right things have been added to the course as far as infrastructure. The tees and baskets are perfectly playable but the land is just really lackluster. With the small trees there's almost no shade out there so be prepared if you're playing in the heat. Lots of prairie grass but it wasn't out of control when I was there. Either enough use and/or some maintenance has kept it mostly in check. Could definitely see wanting gators if the grass was thick to avoid throwing away socks afterwards. There is an outhouse centrally located on the course, along the side of what appears to be a park maintenance building. I didn't list it in Cons as I have nothing but personal experience to draw on but a number of the hole distances seemed more than a bit off. I can't step up to a course cold, saw off a forehand n00b hyzer, and come up 40' short on a 410' hole(#1). After a few holes, I stopped relying heavily on the hole distances like I normally would at a new course. When I played, it was rated around a 3.1 and while not too far off of my rating opinion I think I set my expectations a little high. Overall, a very serviceable course but nothing to get excited about and I will not play it again on my returns trips to the area.

Great for all skill levels

5+    6/30/2017   7/3/2017
Review By: chainbangerz
Pros: Wide open course that is easy to find your disc everywhere except #14

Easy course and shots

Trashcans

Bathroom

Easy to navigate (if you read the course layout before starting.

Practice basket as well as big fields for warm ups

Some tree benches

Minor elevation changes.
Cons: Not much obstructions to test shots

Crowded

Weekend parking can get slim (other events like soccer and baseball)
Other Thoughts: Perfect for beginners to learn the game and build their skills

There are only four par 4's here and one of them is hole 1

I like this course to try out new discs and forehands.

Prairie Dogs Ahoy!

1    5/13/2017   5/22/2017
Review By: numbernine
Pros: Being from indiana, I wasn't sure what to expect from Colorado disc golf. Would I puke from the elevation sickness? Could I throw 45% further because of the thin air? Would I just get really stoned on all of the second hand, legal weed? I am glad I got to answer all of those questions.

baskets - seem new. Maybe they aren't, but every basket on the course was in great condition and didn't show any signs of wear and/or tear. The practice basket was also in pristine shape. So I am assuming this course has not been in for a super long time. If it has, I am happy to be wrong about that.

layout - a blind man could find his way around this course. it follows a very natural layout and it makes sense without having to memorize a map. It also does a good job of following the natural terrain in the area and making good use of that.

signs - super neat, very unique signs that are made into the rock of the hole marker. There's a little map on each hole, with the hole number and distance right there. I enjoyed that these were clearly local materials and using them made it feel more like we were out in the desert a little bit.

shots - a decent variety of shots out there. I like that the elevation changes were used to make you consider a couple of alternatives from time to time. The hard pan floor was also something different for me, and I had to learn how to shape my shots a little differently so the discs would skip a mile away. I also like the use of the swampy area on 16 to make a super unique shot.

fun factor - I got to see real life Prairie Dogs, in person. On the course! So I am going to fan girl out and tell you how much fun that was . It was also throwing a midrange a mile, off of the hole hill on the front . Very neat little shot.
Cons: As much as this course could be, there just isn't a lot chances to create a ton of interesting shots. It's pretty wide open out on this course, and it does feel a little repetitive on a couple of holes.

While I loved the idea of the signs, I would have liked them to be a little easier to read. There were a couple of signs that were tough to read because of the size of the font, and the dust that had covered them.

It was pretty massively crowded on the day we played. I can see how this might be an issue.

There are some layout issues. a couple of the holes are way too close to one another, and a disc came into my fairway with little to no warning.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course. Not great.
With some different pin positions, or a pro pin, or some creative use of artificial elevation, this place could be pretty neat. As it stands, most of the holes are wide open, straight ahead shots that depend solely on an elevation change for the challenge.

And while the signs are unique, they aren't always good.

Quality course

1    3/16/2017   4/6/2017
Review By: sjroesinger
Pros: Really enjoyed the hole variety
Easy to follow, good tee boxes and holes
Easy to access from the parking lot
Cons: Very crowded during weekday
Thick vegetation made losing discs a high possibility
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play right by Cherry Creek

Fun course, but few obstacles

5+    2/5/2017   2/9/2017
Review By: Shaggs
Pros: Course is easy to find and easy to navigate. There is a path from each basket leading to the next hole. Each hole has the distance carved into a rock and many holes have logs to sit while waiting, along with trash cans. There is also a bathroom located in the middle of the course.

Great course to bring beginners to as they won't lose their discs and offers some shorter holes to keep them interested, yet is long enough to offer challenges to more seasoned players.

Holes of varying length including three holes that are long enough to make them very tough birdies, but even the short holes are not gimmies due to elevation change, hillsides, or a well placed bush/tree.
Cons: Wide open with very few obstacles. Though there are trees on most holes, they offer little in the way of a challenge as they are too young and small to affect shot selection much. The main tree of hole 9 was taken out even though it was the second largest tree on the course and one of the few that made you shape your shot on the entire course.

Course is frequently very windy and can be extremely muddy at times. Suggest you avoid this course for a couple days after any storm, or during snow melt.

There are mando's on 3 holes that are very poorly marked, if at all that only the locals know to play. There are also a couple area's where people playing other holes are in danger of being hit (primarily people putting on hole #9 are in danger from people teeing off on hole #1, and #17's tee pad is located in a common "bail out" area for hole #16).

Course can get pretty crowded due to it's appeal to both beginners and seasoned players.
Other Thoughts: VG is a fun semi-challenging course that I hope to see improvements on in the future. Hopefully in 10-20 years all these young trees will mature and create a real challenge

Decently open + wonderful layout = awesome course!!!!

5+    6/19/2016   6/21/2016
Review By: ddboss02
Pros: Agh, where do I start? This course is just so awesome. My dad and I started disc golf about three years ago. We could hardly throw it fifty feet, and our technique was horrible. Well, whether you're extremely good, or just a beginner, this course is for you. An average round for my dad and me is about 55 +/- minutes. Very decent time, which is appealing to many players. We sometimes will go for two, which of course falls close to two hours - still not too bad. The terrain has a wonderful variation as the years advance. Spring brings tall, green, luscious, disc eating (if you aren't careful, of course) grass (some players like to wear pants and say it's annoying, but I don't particularly mind), some of which has sticker-seeds which get stuck in your socks, but don't damper the round in any way. Summer brings a lot of the same stuff, but they MOW THE GRASS in July!!!!!! Fall, very open, easy course. Leaves are falling off the trees, which 1, allows your disc to skip a bit better due to a smoother terrain, and 2, it opens up throwing routes that weren't possible during the Spring and Summer. The Winter (one of my favorite times to play!!!) is much the same as the fall, so long as there isn't snow. Keep in mind: this is still Colorado. Which means the weather can change in just a few minutes. Anyways, that's all I have for pros, but first lemme sum it all up:
1. Great for all levels of play
2. Decent time commitment
3. Huge variation of terrain between seasons
Cons: And now for the cons: The only thing I would say to the staff of this course is this: Please mow the course earlier in the year, maybe twice a year even. By mid June, this course is very hairy and needing attention. Later August, it would be good to mow again. All the grass is fine besides the fact that if you aren't careful and watch your disc all the way to the ground, it can really bury itself down in the taller grass where you can't see it unless you walk right to it and move the grass aside. Some of the other grass has something I think are called 'sticker-seeds', which are exactly what they sound like. You walk through them, they stick themselves into your socks or whatever, and tickle/scratch your ankles until you stop and pull them out. Not much to say for cons as this is an awesome course, but lemme sum it all up:
1. Tall grass makes it easy to lose your disc
2. Only mowed once a year
3. Relentless 'sticker-seeds'
Other Thoughts: So, in conclusion, if you're looking for a course suitable for all levels of play so you can take your wife, girlfriend, or young kids out for some time doing what you love, if you're looking for a somewhat easy course to start with, or even if you're simply passing through Colorado and wanting to take a rest stop and play some disc golf, THIS IS THE COURSE FOR YOU!! That's all there is to say. My dad and I play this course 5 +/- times a week, and totally love it. I am now able to throw it almost to the longest hole on the course (461 +/- feet) and my dad is biting at my heels. If it weren't for this course, we would never have started, and IT is what got us to the level of play we're at today.
Thank you Village Greens.

As Open as Nebraska

1    8/18/2015   9/13/2015
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 5/31/2016
Pros: -Course plays in a giant open field in its own area of a nice, clean multi-use park. Great location, nice and close to downtown.
-Nice and easy, hardly any trees. Water on only a few holes.
-Great course to try out new discs
-Nice DGA baskets
-Easy navigation
-Gentle elevation change
Cons: -May be too open. You can throw your favorite type of shot on almost every hole.
-Can get VERY windy. No trees = no windbreaks = hard to putt When I played it was gusting. I didn't make ANYTHING. :-( That didn't help the self-esteem.
-Wear pants. Knee-high grass gets very annoying.
Other Thoughts: -Keep an eye on your disc. This course is open as hell. Everything looks the same and its easy to forget where you threw it. The land is nice and slightly hilly, but the course would be so much better if some trees were planted.
-I was able to get out for a round here on vacation. It was a super windy day and I made only one putt outside 15 ft. GRRR.
-Next time I'm in Denver, I will try to find a course with at least a few trees :-)

Not Bad

1    8/22/2015   8/22/2015
Review By: SharkRock135
Pros: - Nice elevation change on the front 9
- Distance can change drastically between holes
- Trees and tall grass are used as good obstacles
Cons: -tall grass and weeds makes it hard to find a disc
- LOTS of bugs in the morning; remember to bring bug spray and wear pants
Other Thoughts: I don't live in Colorado but if I did I might play this course again if I had some bug spray.

Play this course all the time.

5+    7/23/2015   7/24/2015
Review By: N1NJ0
Pros: Convenient location - short walk from Dayton station (lightrail) easily accessible by highway
Friendly regulars - I've played this course a lot! Nearly ever day, I leave 90 minutes early for work and always get a game in. I have never run into a dg snob or any other unfriendly person. I've played it busy, and lightly played.
Cons: WEEEEEEDDDDSSSSSSSS - While it is kept up with as best as I'm sure is feasible. The tall grass and weeds can definitely eat your disc(s).
Fairly simple - while I am no expert, this course doesn't have any really good elevation changes or water hazards or trees or rocks or... You get my point...
Other Thoughts: Great, fun course. It can get hot in direct sunlight though. Definitely bring your sunscreen.

Decent Course Within Denver Metro

5+    6/18/2015   7/7/2015
Review By: SteLaG
Pros: Actually has some elevation, and vegetation to make things a bit more interesting. Course will be much better in years to come when some of the trees have actually grown in. Not a very difficult course, but always very fun and enjoyable to play.
Cons: Concrete tee pads are somewhat small. Not a huge issue because most of the holes are relatively short, but it would be nice to have a full size pad on the few long holes. There are some very nice sculptures on each hole that are intended to show the distance and layout of the hole. Unfortunately, they have not weathered well and are very difficult to read. I'm sure at one point in time they were awesome, but now they just look like extra rocks pilled up next to the tee pad. Hopefully they will be restored or replaced so people can actually read them.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the better courses around the Denver Metro Area (This isn't saying a lot considering how bad some of the other courses are, but it is still better than nothing). All and all a very fun and enjoyable course.

< Prev 1 2 3