Trussville, AL
Greg Carter Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: Buff4Booty Hole #3 (Taken 3/2013)

Share URL:

1    8/2/2017   8/3/2017
Review By: UnopposableThumb
Pros: Challenging wooded shots with beautiful scenery. Good signage, made course easy to navigate when I had never been there before. Not crowded, easy to play at your own speed.
Cons: not the most unique course. Some of the shots are kinda run of the mill.
Other Thoughts: Good course, lots of tight and technical wooded shots. It flowed well and had good signs, we always knew where to go next. It was a good course, but I live an hour from it and it may not be worth the trip several times. If you live close, this would be a good home course for you to practice accuracy.

nice but not well maintained

1    6/1/2017   6/1/2017
Review By: magictenor1
Pros: Variety of different shots. Lots of elevation changes. Mostly shady for hot summer days. Baskets are mostly good. wasn't crowded. scenery is nice. some big boulders scattered around.
Cons: Tee pads could use some work in places. Basket #9 is missing. found the post but no basket. Some tee signs are missing. you have to cross a road to get to the next tee several times. can be confusing. Grass was high in places.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice layout and design overall. It does however need some work. There are tee signs on most holes but some are missing. Most holes have arrows directing you to the next hole but not all. One long walk between 7 and 8 with not a lot of direction as to where to go. Overall it flows ok and I did find all the holes but there were some navigation issues. Most of the holes have either 2 tee options or 2 pin positions but not both. You have to look for the pin because it is not indicated anywhere which one is being used. As I said above #9 basket appears to be missing. I just played object to the post I found. tee pads are mostly natural or with a soft covering. not really long enough. Could be better. Most of the course is in the woods but on a few that were not the grass had not been cut and was fairly high.Course is in a huge multi use park so I know there are bathrooms around but I didn't seek them out. Course generally stays away from the other areas so I didn't see any issues with other park users being in the way. With a little more TLC this could be an excellent course. I would play there again.

Great Technical Course

5+    4/7/2015   5/7/2015
Review By: AlphaGenerator
Pros: Technical fairways make you throw a diverse selection of shots! I love the nature hike aspect of this course with the beautiful scenery of streams, boulders, and hills.
Cons: Park Construction have forced a couple of holes to be temporarily redesigned and held up completion of teesigns and teepads. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
Other Thoughts: Once the Greenway project is complete, then we'll see Carter's permanent installation.

Frustration

1    10/18/2013   11/22/2013
Review By: AUfantastic
Pros: Loved the first 5 holes. Rating would be about a 4. However, never found 6 to continue my round.
Cons: Come on folks. I am sure Greg Carter would not have been happy with a 5 hole course. Finding holes after 5 was the most frustrating thing I have ever done on any course. I looked for anything to guide me and found NOTHING. I actually was fired up to keep going but gave up after some 30 minutes of searching and also I even talked to a P&R employee...no luck. I am not sure he could even figure it out.
Other Thoughts: Take care of the signage and help us all out. I would love to come back and see how the remaining holes play.

Not The Worst Ever

1    9/15/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: BirmingDan
Pros: Nice baskets. Good scenery -- boulders, hills and such.
Cons: I'd say impossible for a first timer to navigate without a guide. Not intuitive. Some holes too near ballpark or parking lot.
Other Thoughts: I'm not a DG snob. Just a regular guy that's been playing a few years. I don't mind the lack of pads. I do mind the lack of signage. Come on. Just a few arrows, please?

Decent course in East Birmingham

2-4    7/24/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: captain_d
Pros: * Hole 12 is probably my favorite all-time hole shooting downhill with a slight left break toward the basket.
* Good variety of shots throughout the course.
* Decently manicured.
* Easy to navigate course design.
* Up and down elevation gives a nice blend of shots and good exercise.
Cons: * Needs concrete teepads on a number of holes.
* One hole on the back nine (can't remember which one specifically) is on a downright dangerous downhill. Makes it difficult to go down.
* Lots of short tree stumps that can cause injury.
* An errant shot can land in in-play baseball and tee-ball fields while kids are playing.
* Lack of signage.
* Hole 18 is a little too uphill.
Other Thoughts: A respectable course that is in need of some work, but continues to improve every time I play it. I didn't really enjoy it the first time I played it, but I've since gotten the hang of the shots.

A good course to play if you are in the area, but nothing worth making a trip out of your way for as of August 2013.

New Layout and Open to Public

5+    3/15/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Buff4Booty
This review was updated on 9/16/2013
Pros: Carter is very clean and it's new layout tends to flow smoother between holes. Expect short and technical holes with several major distance and open area drives.
Cons: Tee pads are not yet installed on four (4) of the new holes, and be extremely careful navigating new holes due to stumps from previously cut down trees. Particularly, one hole on the back nine has numerous stumps and small rocks proving a fickle decline.
Other Thoughts: This course just needs time to develop, I'm sure things like missing tee pads and benches will arrive in the nearby future. Carter's updated layout promotes new challenges, but at the expense of the removal of several great old holes (due to city construction).

Update*
I'd like to increase my previous rating from good to very good. The baskets rotating position, grass upkeep, and extension of hole 3 have provided a great summer experience. 9/16/13.